PDA

View Full Version : anyone get a LWB to work for exercise??

mamaherrera
July 1st, 2015, 08:00 PM
i for the first time, got my first LWB to stay all day with a single stick. Just wondering if these things, if anyone has gotten them to stay up for running/exercise biking?? As that's my plan of action tonight, otherwise I have to take it down and do a braid. thanks. And I do have two sticks, would that make it more stable, or what changes from one stick to two, what's the point??

woodswanderer
July 1st, 2015, 08:02 PM
Mine stays up better for exercise if I wear a headband. It sort of supports it from sagging.

meteor
July 1st, 2015, 08:03 PM
Yes, but for me, it has to be braided and I have to redo it sometimes. :)

It really depends on hair type and how tightly you do it, which tools you use, etc. So the only way to find out if it will work for you is to try it. :)

Nadine <3
July 1st, 2015, 08:09 PM
No, 30 seconds of running and my stick in on the ground. I usually do a dutch braided bun with spin pins, or because I'm only BSL I just let it flop around.

mamaherrera
July 1st, 2015, 08:48 PM
those spin pins pull out my hair when running, but glad they work for you Mine feels pretty tight now, but I hate to have to stop my run to redo my hair. I'm sure biking would be ok because you're not bouncing, it's the bouncing that just ruins every hair do I do,except for a braid.

trolleypup
July 1st, 2015, 09:27 PM
those spin pins pull out my hair when running, but glad they work for you Mine feels pretty tight now, but I hate to have to stop my run to redo my hair. I'm sure biking would be ok because you're not bouncing, it's the bouncing that just ruins every hair do I do,except for a braid.
Yup. Non-impact things like walking...holds pretty well. Impact or a lot of head movement means it is time for a pony scrub.

Wildcat Diva
July 1st, 2015, 10:25 PM
My nautilus buns hold for running. I do them high.

Anje
July 2nd, 2015, 09:37 AM
I've got a LWB done with a braid today. My stick choice might be prone to slipping out, but as long as it stays put, this bun ain't going anywhere.

mamaherrera
July 2nd, 2015, 02:36 PM
thanks for sharingg. does one stick usually do it for you?

-Fern
July 2nd, 2015, 05:15 PM
trolleypup - :lol: I think you have me sold on the pony scrub. That's neat!

QMacrocarpa
July 3rd, 2015, 03:00 PM
My hair's grippy, and I'm not a runner, but I find I can make a LWB more secure by fastening it with an "elastic slide". Basically, you use a stick just like usual, but you loop a hair elastic around the ends of the stick, so it's sandwiching the middle bun hair between the stick and the elastic. I lost a stick while biking once, so I pretty much always do this now if I'm going to be riding with my hair secured by a stick. Using an "elastic slide" gives similar security to using a Ficcare-type clip, which would be another option you might try.

bonbon58
July 3rd, 2015, 09:55 PM
i've done a LWB with my 3 prong jeterfork and it stayed for 2 hours of badminton :o
for me, LWB usually has to be done with a fork, not a stick

Medievalmaniac
July 4th, 2015, 06:16 AM
My hair's grippy, and I'm not a runner, but I find I can make a LWB more secure by fastening it with an "elastic slide". Basically, you use a stick just like usual, but you loop a hair elastic around the ends of the stick, so it's sandwiching the middle bun hair between the stick and the elastic. I lost a stick while biking once, so I pretty much always do this now if I'm going to be riding with my hair secured by a stick. Using an "elastic slide" gives similar security to using a Ficcare-type clip, which would be another option you might try.

That is a BRILLIANT stick solution! As soon as I read it, I made my husband watch me demonstrate -- so simple and effective! I would never have thought of it!

Savvyhorsez
July 4th, 2015, 06:30 AM
It just depends on how tight you make it. Mine stays in all day, I ride horses, play sports, run, bike, you name it, and it stays in because I make it pretty tight.

cat11
July 4th, 2015, 09:20 AM
If the tail is well tucked and it's tight, for me I can run in a LWB, although I don't know long distance since I don't run. But Ihave casually ran in one without thinking and found it very secure. Especially with a fork. Disc buns are also extremely sturdy... I'd run in one of them.

When I want to have a bun that won't move no matter what exersize I do, I secure it all around with little claw clips. I did a rose bun with claw clips around the edges when I went to Hershey park this last week and it held the whole time though flippy rollercoasters and all just fine. Last year I thought a LWB with an acrylic fork would hold, and even though it was rock solid the force of the rides made the fork slide out... so clips are definitely stronger than forks for that

meteor
July 4th, 2015, 02:47 PM

This sounds like such a great idea, QMacrocarpa! :thumbsup:
I'm trying to picture this to make sure I got it right: does the elastic go on top of the bun? As if to work like some sort of a flexible "bun cage" squishing the bun closer to scalp, kind of like a flexi-8 would? :hmm: Or am I picturing this wrong? Thank you! :flower:

trolleypup
July 4th, 2015, 11:55 PM
trolleypup - :lol: I think you have me sold on the pony scrub. That's neat!
Besides they come in enough fabric patterns that geeky me is pleased...and being cotton, they wick and evaporate sweat really well in the dry heat I deal with.

QMacrocarpa
July 6th, 2015, 07:07 PM
This sounds like such a great idea, QMacrocarpa! :thumbsup:
I'm trying to picture this to make sure I got it right: does the elastic go on top of the bun? As if to work like some sort of a flexible "bun cage" squishing the bun closer to scalp, kind of like a flexi-8 would? :hmm: Or am I picturing this wrong? Thank you! :flower:

Yes, it's a lot like a flexi-8, where the stick is like the flexi-8 pin, and the elastic is like the beaded "8". I saw it demonstrated in this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9GF6Xbb2M) (around 0:50) and have gotten a lot of mileage out of the idea!
:blossom:

meteor
July 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Yes, it's a lot like a flexi-8, where the stick is like the flexi-8 pin, and the elastic is like the beaded "8". I saw it demonstrated in this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9GF6Xbb2M) (around 0:50) and have gotten a lot of mileage out of the idea!
:blossom:

Wow, that's absolutely genius! :applause Thanks so much for posting this idea and sharing the video! It looks really nice!
I've always wondered about flexi-8s but I thought they'd be way too flimsy for my hair (and too many beads to catch on), but a stick with an elastic (or maybe folded headband) should work beautifully! :applause And I bet it's even more hair-friendly than a flexi! :D