PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about cutting hair. Do you regret it?

TheHowlingWolf
July 1st, 2015, 04:39 PM
I was going to write a long paragraph about my situation & how I feel about my FTL length hair, but I figured I would just ask a general question & maybe go into detail later....
To the people who have cut their (very long) hair, did/do you regret it? Why or why not?
What are the pros & cons to cutting your hair?
& how did you decide to cut it? Like, how did you go from "maybe I'll cut it" to "I'M GOING TO CUT IT!"? How did you make sure it was what you wanted?

My hair just gets in the way and no matter what, I can't do anything with it! It is too tangley no matter how much I brush it & take care of it. Yesterday, my coworker with WL hair came in with CBL hair. She was going on & on about how much better she felt and how much easier it was to dry/style her hair now.
I do like hearing the compliments of "WOW! Your hair is so long!"...they make me feel special and even unique. But lately my hair has brought more annoyance than joy into my life. I would probably only cut it to WL at the shortest...I'm just so afraid I will regret it! & yes, I know it will grow back...but in like 2-3 years & I'm an impatient person! lol.

elsieivy
July 1st, 2015, 05:11 PM
My hair has never been nearly as long as yours but a little over a year ago I cut from hip to about apl. I mostly cut because I was dealing with a lot of damage. I regretted cutting quite that short because it prevented me from doing a lot of styles that I like but I did enjoy how much easier it was to wear down and how much body it had. I've learned that I'm happiest with my hair when it's at least bsl.

What are your "must haves" with your hair? eg: longer than the average for your area, can be put in a bun, etc.

Instead of cutting all the way to waist maybe you can cut back to classic or tailbone and then if it still isn't short enough you can cut to waist.

TheHowlingWolf
July 1st, 2015, 05:18 PM
I miss being able to wear it down. & I miss being able to just throw it up in a messy topknot. I do own hair sticks/forks/etc but they don't hold my hair that well. I work at an animal shelter so things can get messy & I need my hair out of my way but I still want it to look semi cute. I've tried fancier updos and even just simple ones. Either they don't stay in place, they give me a headache, or they look like I have a dead animal on my head. And like I said, my hair is super tangley so even cute braids are out of the question. Although, with WL hair, I'm not sure I'll be able to do a topknot with just an elastic hairband....In fact, I don't remember the last time I could just tie my hair up in a hairband. Anyway, I also like how my hair is wavier/more curly when it's shorter. The longer it is, the more weighed down it is.
Really I just want hair that I can do something with!

sourgrl
July 1st, 2015, 05:26 PM
I grew to just brushing BCL, not what I would consider 'very long' by LHC standards but it's certainly the longest I have ever been. I cut back to just brushing hip and couldn't be happier.

It was (still is) very healthy at BCL but it was driving me nuts to wear it down; which I needed to do to give my scalp a break from the weight when I wore it up. When it wasn't up I'd go to sit down and it would catch in my lap. The length overwhelmed me when I wore it down (I was all 'hair') It was more annoyance then enjoyment for me at BCL.

I decided on hip because I wanted something different then my usual BSL, I want a length that is not the 'norm' for women my age where I live (still get the 'your hair is so long' comments) I went with a V hemline so when it's all down my back it has some shape to it. The V-hemline gives my waves a little more interest with the shorter bits waving more than the longer bits. Additionally, when I pull it forward at this length it doesn't overwhelm me. At hip I can let it grow until it gets annoying again then cut back to hip so maintaining is easy on me and my pocket; about every 6 months I'll need a trim. I feel less guilty about bringing heat back into my routine. Bonus that using the iron at this length is a bit of a pain so I'm more likely to only break out the iron for date night and special occasions.

Very long hair is not for me, despite how much I love it on others. Thankfully I can still enjoy great lengths here :)

gthlvrmx
July 1st, 2015, 05:44 PM
To the people who have cut their (very long) hair, did/do you regret it? Why or why not?: I had BCL hair when stretched when I decided to cut it and go bald. I do regret it (mostly, not entirely), but there are some very good pro's that make up for the regret and make me feel like I don't regret it anymore.
& how did you decide to cut it? Like, how did you go from "maybe I'll cut it" to "I'M GOING TO CUT IT!"? Pro's- it's much healthier now, it feels thicker, it looks cute sometimes, it has more natural fairytale ends that will look gorgeous and more natural when it's long. Con's- it's not what I want, it's too short to do so many styles, strands of hair keep popping out of my peacock twist, it's taking a while for it to grow back to how long it was before.
I wasn't feeling well when I cut it. Someone else told me I should cut it, that's when more doubt came in. Then I felt horrible one day and decided to cut it.
How did you make sure it was what you wanted?: I reminded myself of the many times I wanted to go bald and start over and I was like, "I cut so much already I might as well do what I wanted to try before when I got sad about my hair". So that's why I went bald. I cut it for other personal reasons as well that are not good enough for me anymore... I was not feeling well at the time I cut it (mentally and emotionally) and I cut it. I do miss my long hair but I know this head of hair I have is better than before. Gotta look at the positives :)

missrandie
July 1st, 2015, 05:44 PM
I took 8 months to decide I wanted to cut my BSL hair to a pixie. I enjoyed it while I had it (2.5 years) and now I am growing back out.

I kind of regret it, but only because of the time it will take to get it long again.

Methinks if I were to ever grow tired of super long hair once it is grown back out I would only chop it to APL because I know I can do my buns that way. I personally preferred my WL hair during my teenage years, and that was with (gasp) layers. I actually liked my layers, bit I think it is because I had been missing the softness of my adolescent fairy tail ends.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2015, 05:47 PM
I was just shy of BCL (which isn't very long by LHC standards) when I cut back. I was frustrated by how long it took to dry, and by lack of styling options--I could do a few basic buns or braid it, but I still needed another 6-12" to do more interesting buns. And I wanted to work on bringing the curl out more, which for me was more difficult at a longer length because of the long drying time. I did cut back in increments, first to hip, then waist, then BSL, then APL. Then I went to a salon and had it cut to SL. It's been about two years, and now it's just past chin. I did toy with the idea of growing it out to about APL or maybe a bit longer, but after 6" I cut it off again. I have no regrets whatsoever. For me, short hair is easier--I know that's not true for everyone, though. I literally spend a minute a day on styling, on wash days about 30 minutes, and I get a lot of compliments. So I'm happy with my decision. Not saying you should cut, but not everyone regrets it. The only real downside is that now I go to a salon for a curly cut every three months, and it's not cheap (but I like going to the salon, so... :p).

TheHowlingWolf
July 1st, 2015, 06:00 PM
I'm actually thinking about getting layers just because when I don't have layers (like now), it looks like I'm wearing a cape & while capes are cool & all...I'd prefer it if my hair had more shape & body?.
Here's a picture of my hair I took a couple of months ago, in March. Sorry for the bad quality & lighting but hopefully you get an idea of what it looks like. I'll try & find a picture of my hair at waist length/shorter.
http://s24.postimg.org/fows6zoid/hur.jpg

missrandie
July 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM
I always enjoyed a little bit of soft layering. Granted, I have very straight hair and I have always loved the look of layers on wavy heads more, but they never gave me any fits.

I think your hair would look fantastic with a few gentle layers and a hemline change.. I dunno how you feel about U or V shaped hems, but I think it would look great in your hair.

teddygirl
July 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM
i havent updated my signature, but my hair was hip+ and I felt how you feel. It was always in the way. I couldnt wear it down, it took so long to dry and I just didnt love it anymore. I cut back to waist + and im so much happier. I actually might cut back a bit more, but for me its been good. Maybe cut back to hip and see how you feel. At the very least you'll get rid of any splits and have a nice thick hemline.

spidermom
July 1st, 2015, 06:09 PM
I cut from classic length to hip length because of dry, tangly ends, then from hip length to waist length and layered because I had a disability in my left wrist (caused by repetitive use in my career as a medical transcriptionist). I thought also that it would bring back the curl I had the last time I was at waist length, but it didn't. My hair type changed from 2C to 2A; it wasn't just the length pulling out the wave/curl. I won't say that I regret it exactly. I enjoyed waist length, but I sometimes feel impatient to get it back to classic length.

I found out that it was my CWC routine that was causing the Velcro ends, so now I do simple diluted shampoo to the scalp, rinse, conditioner to the length, rinse, press extra water out with flannel pillowcase, then apply a small amount of CHI Silk Infusion or other coney serum. Every once in a awhile, maybe every 2-3 months, I throw in a clarifying wash from scalp to tips. Goodbye massive tangles, even at nearly tailbone length. I've also discovered that twin buns are a lot more comfortable than a single bun, and using sticks and forks is truly a matter of practice. I believe that pretty much anybody can make them work without headaches, but it does take time and practice to discover the proper tension and exactly where to insert the sticks or fork to make the bun/s stay together without being too tight.

endlessly
July 1st, 2015, 07:01 PM
Roughly 8 years ago, I had TBL hair that I decided to cut to roughly BSL after receiving pressure about how I needed a "new look" for college. I regretted it every day especially whenever I saw someone with long hair on campus and honestly, I couldn't wait for my hair to grow back out. Then, a few years later, my hair was at hip length - all one length and a gorgeous color. But somehow, I had it in my head that I needed to color it and then add a bit of layering on the bottom, which as you've probably guessed, was a huge mistake. I ended up with a butchered "mistake" of a haircut - literally, the stylist told me she made a mistake and that she could "try to fix it", but ended up only making it worse. It took my just until this past March to grow out that mistake and finally, I was able to cut it away for good. In the past, I've let others tell me that I needed to cut my hair or pressured me into feeling that I needed a new style when truthfully, I didn't want one. Looking back, it's no surprise that I've regretted every cut because they weren't really what I wanted, just what I felt I needed to do in order to impress everyone else.

In March, I made the decision to cut my hair for me because I wanted it to be one length and finally be rid of uneven layers and damaged ends from failed attempts to correct dye. That was the first time in a very, very long while that I haven't regretted a cut and it's only because it was my decision and something I knew would make me happy. A few weeks back, I felt frustrated over my length like you're describing now, so I trimmed a bit more off the ends just to even them up (the stylist I had from March didn't cut it evenly...GRRR!) and did a few hair treatments and what do you know, good as new. When I had FTL hair, it was too much for me - it tangled, I sat on it constantly, it caught on and in everything...it was just a nightmare. Now, it's just shy of TBL and I'm much happier with it, plus, it's the healthiest it has ever been. So, my advice is to basically re-evaluate your hair - make a small trim versus cutting a huge portion off and treat a little to see if it makes you feel better. If you still feel the urge to chop after that, then you can make the decision knowing you've exhausted your other options. Best of luck!

TheHowlingWolf
July 1st, 2015, 07:06 PM
Hmmm...I can't really find any good pictures so I'll just share this one that's in my album. Not the best pictures but it gives you an idea.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9940&d=1395698797

MsBubbles
July 1st, 2015, 07:16 PM
Whenever someone here with natural waves says they are thinking of cutting their hair shorter, I always find myself envying them, because I love the look of BSL-ish length hair with layers on naturally wavy hair. Or even in hair that has the ability to wave. Mine doesn't!

So I think yours'd look lovely shorter and layered. If you went to BSL or mid-back, you could grow it longer again without too much trouble if you hated it. But I am sure you'd LOVE wearing it down.

I had mine cut from almost tailbone to waist in January and loved the brief interim of being able to wear it down without too much trouble. But it is back to 'unmanageable' again.

I did not regret the cut, but it was probably only about 6" that I had cut off.

MidnightMoon
July 1st, 2015, 07:55 PM
Oh, finally questions I can answer haha!

To the people who have cut their (very long) hair, did/do you regret it? Why or why not?

(To begin with, until February this year I had +tailbone hair). Yes, I regret it every day after the first month passed. I believe long hair was much more rare, pretty, matches my personality better, and Im not getting any younger so this is the last time I can actually grow it out and expect to still look young with it long, and perhaps wear it to my wedding that way, too.

It is easier to take care of it, it doesnt get in the way, takes less time to dry, buns are less heavy and I have a thicker hemline.
On the other side, it is very common and makes me feel less special, I cant wear some kinds of hair clips or toys...oh well, I guess the most important part and what affects me the most is actually how original I felt with long hair. It made me feel more romantic, or like a character from a book or something.

How did you decide to cut it? Like, how did you go from "maybe I'll cut it" to "I'M GOING TO CUT IT!"? How did you make sure it was what you wanted?

I had been thinking about it for a couple of months before doing it. I consulted with my friends, SO, etc., and tried to convince myself with arguments such as "Im too young to take hair so seriously", "It will grow back", "It will suit you better". My original plan was to dye a reddish colour and cut. I had it cut but then it turned out I couldnt dye it because of the previous dye I had been using...
After a couple experiments my hair is now mostly blue, and about BSL.
I regret it with all of my heart and cant wait for it to be back at tailbone in 1 1/2 years or 2.

TheHowlingWolf
July 1st, 2015, 08:52 PM
That's kind of my dilemma....actually my main one. I'm not very pretty or anything. No one tells me I have pretty eyes or a nice smile. No one (except my mom) tells me I'm smart or funny, etc....the only thing people compliment me on is how long my hair is. It's the only thing that makes me unique & stand out! So when/if I cut it...I'll just be really boring I guess.

Frankenstein
July 1st, 2015, 08:59 PM
Last week I cut from past TBL to around hip. It hasn't been that long, I know, but I'd say I do and don't regret it. I do because it took me such a long time to get my hair to that length and I got so used to it, but I don't because it looks healthier now and is easier to deal with.

Pros - I finally got rid of the last of 6+ year old bleached ends (which actually weren't in as bad shape as they could have been) but I was glad to see it go after all these years. Also a pro was that the new thicker ends made my thin hair look much nicer. Cons, pretty much just that I felt a little guilty about the cut, but that's mainly because I often react oddly to change.

& how did you decide to cut it? Like, how did you go from "maybe I'll cut it" to "I'M GOING TO CUT IT!"? How did you make sure it was what you wanted?
I just took enough time to consider it and the more I thought about it the more I convinced myself it was the right thing to do.

David W
July 1st, 2015, 09:09 PM
In my opinion, if it were frustrating me by getting int he way I would cut. I have thought about cutting a lot recently too, but have put it off for now since for me it is motivated by wanting a change not that my hair is frustrating or a burden. If I had those same feelings I'd cut though and I don't think I would regret it.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 1st, 2015, 09:56 PM
Every single time I have done a major cut I have regretted it within a day or two - MAJORLY. I regretted it because I don't feel like "me" with short hair, or even medium length hair.

Whenever I have had long hair I have had compliments on how thick and lovely it is, but never when it was short, I just blended in with the masses. So for me, it made me feel special, having long hair, and bleh having short hair. I cut it to please others, rather than to please myself and that's a big mistake to make.

Pros and cons:

Pros -

It is so easy to wash and dries really fast.
You use less conditioner.

Cons -

I feel like part of me has been taken away.
You can't DO anything with short hair - it just sits there. You can't do buns or nice updos, at least not many, if at all.
You blend in with everyone else and (to me), you don't feel special and different any more.
I feel like a shorn sheep with cold draughts around my neck and I don't like that at all.
You can't think of yourself as a princess any more (well, it's harder to, anyway).
You can't think "I have the longest hair in my family".
You know that every time you have chopped it off in the past you have been so upset about it....

And there's probably plenty more...

How did I make sure I wanted it?

I never really, really wanted it, but was pressured into it...

flickm
July 1st, 2015, 11:38 PM
Do I regret cutting from mid back to shoulder recently? Yes, hugely, but it will grow back and longer. Would I regret it if it was giving me headaches, tangling, getting in the way, looked horrible up, was uncomfortable, in other words stopping me living my life? In a word no. It's a no brainer really. It's hair, not the holy grail. Cut a little, then a little more, till you get a length that is comfortable and manageable and still looks good. I'm longing to have mine at hip length. After that I think it would become unbalanced on me. When I was a lot younger, mine was never shorter than just above waist and never got in the way or felt uncomfortable, even though it was really thick. Really long hair is spectacular, but it can become an entity in itself, rather than part of you, you become your hair - it must be worn up to be practical, and if worn down obscures your body shape.

So why not cut yours stage by stage till you are happy with the day to day management and comfort, but are still happy with what it looks like? Being in discomfort and pain for something you can't even wear loose because it gets in the way can't be a way to live.

There seem to be a few of these shall I cut my hair posts from people with very long hair, so I guess there is a cut-off point for many of us (excuse terrible pun).

I think you would regret a drastic cut, at least in the short term, so bit by bit??? Judging by the pics you posted, your hair would still look amazing at any length. As for not being very pretty - aaaggghhh, dont put yourself down. Your own judgement can only be subjective (as it is for us all), and people are bound to comment on your hair if it's exceptionally long - they would if you were a celebrity as well - but that doesnt mean you arent beautiful in other ways too.

Hugs.

KittyBird
July 2nd, 2015, 01:09 AM
I cut from tailbone+ to layered hip length in February/March, and I have no regrets. Shorter hair feels amazing! I can wear it down without much trouble, I can get it up and out of the way when I need to, and it's just so much easier to deal with. I've trimmed a few times since because I wanted a more V-shaped hemline, and I'm going to do another trim soon, because for some reason the longest parts of my hair almost reach BCL.

Pros:
Much easier to detangle
Slightly reduced drying time (not much though)
Can wear it down
Easier to henna it
Can wear it up without scalp pain

Cons:
It's kinda short and doesn't have much of a wow-factor anymore, but I don't mind.

I thought about it for almost a year, and then I waited for 3-4 months after I had decided to do it. My hair was a real pain at TBL+, so tangly, damaged and ratty, and too heavy for buns. Once in a while I'd manage to do a comfortable bun, but most of the time it hurt my scalp no matter how careful I was. I couldn't wear it down because it was way too long, and I just wasn't enjoying my hair anymore. I remembered that I enjoyed my hair at waist/hip length, and I decided to go for it. I only felt relief and excitement when I grabbed the scissors and started cutting. I don't think I'm ever growing longer than this again, if anything I'll be going shorter.

leilani
July 2nd, 2015, 01:39 AM
I had hip length hair that I kept aggressively trimming to waist and then after months of that (& my wedding passing), I just went for the short layered bob to get back to my natural color. I was so sick of henna and nothing else would work to remove it so it was a relief. Even though I don't love my length, it's been a fabulous vacation from long hair and I don't regret that I'm not going to have long hair for a couple years because I had long hair (around waist/hip, nothing amazingly long) for most of my life and....time flies when you are watching babies and toddlers grow up!

Alien Girl
July 2nd, 2015, 04:53 AM
YES I regret it... BUT! I cut mine to CHIN length. If my hair was as long as yours, cutting to waist would seem fine :) It's still very long!

lapushka
July 2nd, 2015, 05:44 AM
If it feels just too long, try going one milestone shorter, not go butt-crazy and chop it all off. It's an extreme reaction to an uncomfortable situation. Been there, when I was 10/11 I got to classic to the point where I sat on my hair 24/7 - I hated it. So I wanted it all gone. I got a pageboy cut and regretted it the next day. Sure it was a novelty at first, but that wore off fast. I wish I'd gone just a little shorter, and boy did my mom rub it in. She told me you could have just gotten a bit off, and that would've been fine, but no, you had to hack it all off. So...

Yeah, go one milestone shorter at a time, see how you like it, then take it from there...

amino
July 2nd, 2015, 06:16 AM
I'd had long hair (or been growing out long hair) for most of my life—at 9 I had my mom cut from waist to chin, and then spent 6 years growing it out to TBL. At fifteen, I cut it from TBL to SL, then stayed above APL for another year+, experimenting with all sorts of short cuts from chin. In 2011 I shore it all off into a pixie and have been growing ever since.

I cut my hair at fifteen partially because all I ever did with it was keep it in one long single braid. I think I tried crown braids once or twice on my hair, but it was remarkably unmanageable—my hair was either too silky smooth to stay in anything or I had no arm strength. My great-grandmother looked at it once when it was down and mentioned that perhaps it was a bit too long. I thought about it a long, long while, at least a month or two, and then asked my mom to cut it off. We braided my hair from slightly below SL down and then Mom snipped through. I was very happy with my cut—my hair was light, I could put it in a ponytail, I looked like I actually had hair, because it was sometimes down.

I then cut to pixie in 2011 because we were going on a long trip (15 months) and I didn't want to deal with the "hassle" of long hair, and also because I wanted to see how long it would take for my hair to grow to a longer length—I think that right before the pixie is when I decided to grow it out. Since then I've been growing it out, and only now do I regret all those cuts! My hair would be at X length if I hadn't cut it three years ago, etc. But those cuts were the right decision for me, at the time. And I get to see, now, all the stages that my hair goes through as it gets longer.

Back then, I don't remember any super pros of long hair except the comments from other people, the feeling something of a princess when it was down, etc. I didn't know any updos then, or how to do anything without hairspray, which I hated and never touched unless I had to have it for a dance recital. And when I washed my hair once a week, it took absolute ages to dry, even with the hair dryer (which, as a good Romanian child, I had to utilize in order to avoid getting caught in a "draft" with wet hair and thus getting deadly ill). But the benefits of short hair were a shorter drying time. Less (or no) time brushing my hair in the morning. It not necessarily having to be up all the time.

I'd suggest cutting in small increments—waist length, etc. Maybe also take a look at what shampoos/cleaning methods you're using and see if your hair tangles less.

Crumpet
July 2nd, 2015, 07:50 AM
That's kind of my dilemma....actually my main one. I'm not very pretty or anything. No one tells me I have pretty eyes or a nice smile. No one (except my mom) tells me I'm smart or funny, etc....the only thing people compliment me on is how long my hair is. It's the only thing that makes me unique & stand out! So when/if I cut it...I'll just be really boring I guess.

I'm sure that you are all of these things and MORE. Just based on the bits of photos I can see, you are pretty. You also have articulate and thoughtful posts so you must be smart. AND you work in an animal shelter, which indicates a lot of kindness. You're definitely special. With or without your hair.

:blossom::blossom::blossom:

flickm
July 2nd, 2015, 07:52 AM
I'm sure that you are all of these things and MORE. Just based on the bits of photos I can see, you are pretty. You also have articulate and thoughtful posts so you must be smart. AND you work in an animal shelter, which indicates a lot of kindness. You're definitely special. With or without your hair.

:blossom::blossom::blossom:

what she said!

Kendrix
July 2nd, 2015, 08:35 AM
"Since then I've been growing it out, and only now do I regret all those cuts! My hair would be at X length if I hadn't cut it three years ago, etc. But those cuts were the right decision for me, at the time. "

^ THIS. SO THIS. you never regret the big cut right when you get it. It's always later.

My advice to you, waist should be FINE. But if you lop off more than that, you might find yourself with hair that is less manageable in a completely different way than it is now. (Not to say that shorter haired girls here have a hard time, I really don't know. I just know that my hair really changed between BSL and waist, causing me to need a different routine and find this site. I don't know if I COULD go back to before and still like it, but we are all different.)

Also depends on the condition of your hair. I always had BCL hair as a child, but it was severely damaged, prone to tangle and moplike. I didn't regret cutting to chin when I was 10 (at the time, later I did lol), because my hair was a headache, literally. Is your hair badly damaged? If so, a big cut could be very freeing instead of hindering.

hannabiss
July 2nd, 2015, 08:58 AM
I had TBL and cut to chin. I missed my long hair but I like short hair on myself.
I have to agree with FLICKM. Cut it shorter in stages till you know which one feels right that way yi u won't go shorter than your comfortable with.

Wusel
July 2nd, 2015, 11:30 AM

This made me tear up...
People who know me more know why.
You have a wonderful mother.
Many people tell me that I'm funny, pretty, smart, kind, good singer and songwriter, good mother, good friend, good teacher...
Many people. EXCEPT MY MOM.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2015, 12:30 PM
This made me tear up...
People who know me more know why.
You have a wonderful mother.
Many people tell me that I'm funny, pretty, smart, kind, good singer and songwriter, good mother, good friend, good teacher...
Many people. EXCEPT MY MOM.

My mom doesn't lash compliments around either, but I know she doesn't have to say it. Your mom OTOH is something else altogether. :flower: I'm so sorry, Wusel. And BTW, we all think you're great. ;)

woodswanderer
July 2nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
One thing I noticed is that you said if you cut it, it would grow back in 2-3 years. To me, that really depends on whether you want fairy tale ends or a blunt hemline. If you want to cut short and regrow with fairytale ends, I suppose it would work, but if you want blunt ends it would probably take longer than your estimate. Of course everyone's hair is different, so YMMV.

Wusel
July 2nd, 2015, 03:58 PM
My mom doesn't lash compliments around either, but I know she doesn't have to say it. Your mom OTOH is something else altogether. :flower: I'm so sorry, Wusel. And BTW, we all think you're great. ;)

:) :) :)
Thank you. :blossom: :) :) :)

Justineilie
July 2nd, 2015, 05:18 PM
I always have cutting regrets, I have this cycle I can't seem to get out of. I cut my hair and say I'm going to grow it, then I damage it with colour, then I have to cut it again and keep going around in circles.

meteor
July 2nd, 2015, 06:03 PM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I cut from TBL+ to waist multiple times. And from hip to BSL multiple times, too. I always thought they were just trims, though, because the hair still acted like "long" hair when worn down.
It used to be a bit of a cycle: every spring, when temperatures rise, my hair would feel too long and hot. I didn't know any updos and couldn't stand the heavy, sweat-inducing feeling even with a braid or a ponytail (the only styles other than loose that I knew at the time :lol: ), so I'd go for a trim.
Also, other times, I'd ask for half-an-inch trim and get 6'' hacked off - typical salon issues. :rolleyes:

Pros:
Much easier to detangle
Much lighter
Reduced drying time
Very smooth ends
Much easier to experiment with (roller sets - it holds curl better when short, highlights - much cheaper and faster processing times, etc...)

Cons:
Some updo or braided styles are impossible (but I didn't know them at the time, so I had no idea what I was missing)
More conventional hair (can be a pro or a con, depending on perspective)
Less wow-factor (but I don't mind, since I'm shy and don't like that sort of attention).

Weird, I know, but it was never a very conscious decision, and certainly not a difficult one, more like - it's getting really heavy & long, time for a trim :)
But now I want it long, because I've learned some updos and want to experience new lengths! Thank you, LHC, for that! :flowers:

kganihanova
July 2nd, 2015, 08:00 PM

Well mine wasn't that long (waist) but I didn't regret it. I cut 8 inches of damage off and had a way easier grow out after the cut.

THE POOF. THE POOF. and no braids or buns for a while :(

how did you decide to cut it? Like, how did you go from "maybe I'll cut it" to "I'M GOING TO CUT IT!"? How did you make sure it was what you wanted?

I'd thought about it for months. So I just did it...and I got sick of looking at splits galore.

misspriss
July 2nd, 2015, 08:45 PM

I haven't been on LHC for a while, shortly after the birth of my first child, I cut my hair from around TBL (IIRC, not "super long") to BSL-ish, which morphed into around APL. I have kept it there until now, he's a bit over 2, and I just had my second child. I just decided to grow it back out again!

Anyway, I did not regret it. I thought I would, but I didn't. I was lighter, easier to manage, easier to wash, etc, and I'd just gotten tired of it being the same. I enjoyed my short hair for a couple of years.

That being said, I've just decided to grow it back. It's not that I regretted cutting it short, it's just that I want to have it long again. And half the enjoyment of long hair for me was the growing process.

I just decided one day, I made myself wait a couple weeks to make sure, but I just knew. I did post on here and ask people's opinions, but I'd already made up my mind.

Deborah
July 2nd, 2015, 11:53 PM
I have never regretted a cut, even the one where I asked my husband to cut off 6 inches for me and he cut off 13 inches instead. He was just eyeballing it, but still that was way off! :rolleyes: It was still long, and it looked good, so I just thought, "What the heck. This is a good length too." My hair does grow very fast, so maybe that is part of it. I know it will grow back soon.

Anytime I have been tired of my length I have been quite happy when I had a good bit cut off. I don't go short ever, just various lengths of long, and I am happy that way.

P.S. Hubby will NOT be cutting my hair again. :scissors:

battles
July 7th, 2015, 05:25 PM

My hair has never been "very long", only waist at the longest. But I've regretted cutting it every single time. :shrug: I always get this bug into my head about doing something with it, ruin it and then chop it back to chin length which looks HORRIBLE on me and makes me look like my Mom.

Pros:
Less drying time

Cons:
It's fluffier and I have triangle head at shorter lengths.
I can't wear it up as easily.
It isn't as eye catching.

If I decide I need to cut it IMMEDIATELY, I'm almost guaranteed to be in the midst of a mood swing and will regret it. If I can go 6 months consistently wanting to cut it, I'll seriously consider it then.

henné
July 7th, 2015, 05:36 PM
It is such a highly individual thing ...

To be honest, I've never regretted a cut. I guess it's because I'm so old now (early 30's) and the fact that I have kids that it just feels that time just flies by and everything happens quickly - even hair growth, haha. So, yeah, never really regretted a trim or a cut. Perhaps a specific hair cut that didn't look too flattering, but I always made it work and it always grew out in a matter of months, so ... no terror there, haha.

PS: I always laugh at the 'ooo, poor little me, drowning in tears because I cut my hair and it doesn't look good' threads ... it's just such a non-issue. ;)

flickm
July 7th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I guess it's because I'm so old now (early 30's)

What??? That's old??! I'm doomed... :(

henné
July 8th, 2015, 05:43 AM
What??? That's old??! I'm doomed... :(

That was a joke :)

alexis917
July 8th, 2015, 07:20 AM
I cut my hip length hair into a pixie cut, and am now a bit past my chin (bob). I regret this so much. People said short hair would be easier, but man, were they wrong!

I roll a ton in my sleep, so that meant my pixie was ALWAYS disorderly. And if I managed to sleep on my back, the back would stand straight up.

I had to trim it all the time because the back would grow into a little mullet overnight. I also had to wash it almost every day, because the hair was always in my face (no breakouts, please). This also sucked for working out, because I can't get a decent ponytail until I'm past APL (it sticks right out otherwise....thank you, thickness).

Also, this was my own ignorance- I went my entire life thinking I had 1c hair. I would brush it wet (using a Wet Brush), and damp bun for volume. Never let it dry naturally, because it took forever. So I chopped my heavy hair off.... and it sprung into 2c curls/waves. I looked vaguely like Hyde (That 70s Show) for damn near 5 months!!

flickm
July 8th, 2015, 08:00 AM
That was a joke :)

so was my reply ;)

Stray_mind
July 8th, 2015, 08:11 AM
I have cut my WL hair to just below SL... I was satisfied with it for awhile, but then i started regretting it. It's just that i look much better with longer hair and long hair suit my face shape much more. I cut it, because it was tangly and dry, but now i know i could've made it better without cutting it.

browneyedsusan
July 8th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I've never gone from long to short, only from short (CBL) to shorter (pixie)!
I liked it super-duper short for the same reason you like your hair long: "Wow! your hair is adorable! I could never go that short!" I'd say, "Sure, you could! You just ask the hairdresser nicely, and say 'please', and she'll cut it however you want!" Then came the reasons/excuses: "I wouldn't look good", "my husband/boyfriend would freak out", "I wouldn't know what to do with it", "I'd feel naked", whatever. (To which, I'd say, "you'd look different than you're used to, but you'd look fine. No small children would flee from your presence." "Too bad, so sad. he can grow his hair/beard if he wants to?" "Comb it?" "what's wrong with naked?")

You decide what you want, and go for it. Some people regret every choice they make. Some don't give a rip. If you make a change, and other people notice, they'll have no qualms about sharing their opinions. All those opinions will be different. IMHO, cutting a foot off your hair won't matter to the general public. Anything around MBL or WL is "long", and your hair will still fall into that category, so will barely blip their radar. No matter what you decide, there will be benefits and drawbacks. You decide which set of benefits/drawbacks you want. :)

Smile and nod at co-worker. Tell her you're happy for her. (Think to yourself, "stick it in your ear! I do what I want with my hair!")

:flowers:

alexis917
July 8th, 2015, 09:08 AM
^beautifully said! Another thing I noticed after the chop: I rarely got compliments on my hair, from anyone. Usually just "your hair is long". But the second I cut it, my old hair was "so pretty". :rolleyes: fear of change, maybe.

misspriss
July 10th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I. I looked vaguely like Hyde (That 70s Show) for damn near 5 months!!

Well I personally find Hyde's hair sexy, but that's just me....I'm sure you looked great ;)

Marette
July 10th, 2015, 11:28 PM
I cut my hair twice - once to nape-length when I was diagnosed with lupus and the doctor was planning to put me on chemo. I have a wide jaw and I felt it made me look like a movie star - Marlon Brando! To look nice I had to sleep on curlers, touch up any stray bits with a curling iron, and tease the whole thing. But then it looked great! It made my face look more delicate after all that work. But I did regret it, and let it grow out to hip length.
Alas, at hip length it was straggly and thin and I cut off about five inches. That looked so much better that I got another few inches and was I upset! I had goofed! Now I'm letting it grow back, but only to waist. My hair grows verrrry slowly, so I have to be really sure when I cut it. It only grows about 4 inches a year.
PROS: When cut it is much easier to wash and I can dry it without heat. Hair products last longer and that helps the budget!
CONS: It takes a lot of work to make short hair look feminine. I'm not interested in looking like a man. What I made up in time washing and conditioning I spent in styling. My husband loves long hair on anybody, even the dog.
I never was completely sure about cutting it, mainly because of its slow growth! But the decision to get rid of hip length was brought on by seeing a photo of myself sitting on the couch with my hair just hanging and the bottom in tatters - and I had been keeping up with the split ends. Lupus causes brittle hair, and I think I didn't realize that I had a lot of unintentional layers in there due to breakage and sun damage. I don't regret that cut. Also I want my hair to flatter my face, and even pretty ends don't flatter anything but the bottom of your hair! (My opinion only!)
I cut the next 5 inches because I thought it would be easier to take care of and that I would still have long hair. But I really overestimated the amount of time and effort it would save. It was almost nil. It didn't make any difference in whether or not it flattered my face, and it never felt truly long to me - just mediocre hair. I look best with waist-length hair in gentle curls. I look sort of out of proportion when it's longer.

Marette
July 10th, 2015, 11:52 PM

Oh, I don't think you'd be boring at all! You sound like a very sweet person, someone I'd like to know! Your mom knows you better than almost anyone, and I'll bet her compliments are true. Sometimes people just comment on the most obvious thing about a person, and if they aren't around many people with long hair, that will be the first thing they notice. If you ever decide to cut your hair, people may compliment you on other things instead because the hair was a distraction before. Whatever you do, if your hair length and style fit your personality and make you feel pretty, I think you will be happy with it. Best wishes!

browneyedsusan
July 11th, 2015, 08:29 AM

There is more going on here than hair. You need to give yourself some credit, and widen your circle of friends.

I know some women that only feel valued as a mother, then once the kids are raised and out, they have no idea what to do with themselves. When the kids' activities aren't there to shape their lives, they fall into a funk. They still have worth; families, husbands, friends who love them--but feel a little disoriented while they sort out a new path. They used to be fine, before the kids came, but 18 or 20 years made them forget how to be okay by themselves?

You're still young. Figure out how to be okay without verbal feedback. You have worth: you can handle animals that no one else at work can deal with, you know how to leash-train a dog, you understand the nuances in animal body language--does this cat want touched, or not?--, you can communicate with animals better than some people. AND, because of your awesome animal skills, you probably have people skills in spades. I'll bet a dollars worth of donuts that you can read most people quickly and accurately. No one has probably told you these things, but that doesn't mean you don't have those skills. Not everyone can do what you do. You probably have lots of other awesome skills, but I only know what you've shared here. (I've volunteered in an animal shelter. I've seen your people. You guys are awesome. My pitty, Douglas, thanks you for the excellent care during the 2 years at the shelter. ) You are awesome, whether anyone says it out loud or not. :flowers:

Kherome
July 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I was going to write a long paragraph about my situation & how I feel about my FTL length hair, but I figured I would just ask a general question & maybe go into detail later....

My hair just gets in the way and no matter what, I can't do anything with it! It is too tangley no matter how much I brush it & take care of it. Yesterday, my coworker with WL hair came in with CBL hair. She was going on & on about how much better she felt and how much easier it was to dry/style her hair now.
I do like hearing the compliments of "WOW! Your hair is so long!"...they make me feel special and even unique. But lately my hair has brought more annoyance than joy into my life. I would probably only cut it to WL at the shortest...I'm just so afraid I will regret it! & yes, I know it will grow back...but in like 2-3 years & I'm an impatient person! lol.

Long hair doesn't make you special or unique. It makes you one of millions of people who also have long hair.

I've cut mine several times, from upper thigh to just barely hip, let it grow, cut it again...I don't regret it. It doesn't change anything. You are you, and life is life whether you have FTL hair or no hair. If you want to cut it, cut it! Don't invest so much in something that is growing out of your scalp. It's a shame to want something so simple as a hair cut and feel stress and fear over it. If you really feel concern, cut to hip and test it out. You can go shorter later if you wish.

Kherome
July 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM

Is that a compliment? "Wow your hair is long." Seems more of a statement than a compliment, like "Gee you're tall" or "Wow that shirt is bright." I'm sure there things about you that people appreciate all the time, but I can guarantee it's not your hair. People don't love hair. People love people.

Babyfine
July 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
My hair was in no way as long as yours but I went from a few inches below BSL(which is long on me as I'm long waisted) to a inverted bob/lob in the fall of 2013.
I honestly had mixed emotions, I missed my hair but as someone with super baby-fine hair I was able to wear it down a lot more with the LOB, and get more volume out of it.
On the other hand I missed some of the updos I could do with the longer hair.
I would say to cut in stages, as others have suggested, first to classic, then TBL, ect.

Nesoi
July 13th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Interested to see this thread. As most of you know I shaved off all my past-waist-length hair in 2012 - ironically RIGHT before I found LHC :doh: I never regretted it and enjoyed growing out hair that has never been dyed, barely been heat-styled, etc. But just now I'm watching one of my favourite films: Hero. And all the characters have such amazing long, beautiful hair and part of me is like WHAT WAS I THINKING???? MY HAIR COULD HAVE BEEN SO LONG BY NOW.

But the reality is I DID enjoy having the buzz, and the pixie. Not so much the lengths in between there and APL ;) but now it's BSL and I am really enjoying it and looking forward to hitting waist sometime in the next year. Also who am I kidding - my hair looks as though I live my life in a wind tunnel no matter how careful I am. I would never look like a character in a wuxia film!! :lol:

patienceneeded
July 16th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I chopped my "halfway between Hip and Tailbone" length hair to shoulder length around April and loved it. I then chopped again in June from shoulder to pixie and LOVE it. I have zero regrets. I may eventually grow out the pixie, but I don't think I'll ever do looooong hair again. Right now I'm loving having the shortest hair I've ever had, and looking forward to my scheduled cut at the end of August.

kidari
July 16th, 2015, 01:38 PM
My answer is not helpful because I have never had really long hair (what I consider super long is anything past hip, starting at around BCL length). However, in the past I have had a haircut from BSL to shoulders and regretted it but also I've cut from MBL-waist to BSL then loved it so much I cut to shoulder and loved that so much I cut to chin and loved that so much I cut to ear-length. I stopped there, because I don't have the facial features to pull off a pixie, although I wished I did. I think really it's all about your state of mind and what you want as well as how well the haircut suits you- how it suits your natural texture and face shape that is. I think I hated the shoulder length cut, because it was too choppy, uneven, and required too much styling. I loved the other cuts, because the stylist was talented and really understood what to do with my natural texture and how to cut it to flatter my face shape and body type.

I had a goal several years ago when I first joined here to grow it to past hip and at one point I made it to 32" but I was really unhappy. I was obsessed with caring for my hair and the stress of wanting more growth and avoiding damage while nurturing it and protecting it was too much for me to handle. All the joy of having hair at all was sort of sucked out of me. I wore it up every single day, I cringed when I had to wash it, I would waste hours doing treatments on it, etc. The worst part I sort of had anorexia but with wanting super beautiful super long hair, so my hair was never good enough, long enough, etc. I really wanted shorter layers, to be able to wear it down, and lighten up my really dark brown/jet black hair but the amount of time and patience and care I had put into those 32" of hair really was what held me back and stressed me out so much. I just started by cutting in layers and trimming off a whole inch and then another half inch and then another half inch. All of a sudden I had BSL hair with the layers I wanted and this gave me the courage and freedom to play around with my color. I can't tell you how liberating it has been. I can wear my hair down, I can do balayage (bleach! and not care about the damage!!), I can even heat style it and wash it whenever I want, and the best part of it all is every single month when it grows out a little I have the freedom to let it keep growing, microtrim it to maintain, or tweak it a bit to change the shape of the haircut, or cut a bit shorter!!

So I guess the whole point of my post is really evaluate what it is that is making you unhappy and what it is that you really want. There is no point to stressing out over things and wasting time and effort on something you have the power to change. It's all part of figuring out what works best for you personally. If you want to cut, then try doing it little by little. You never know what is going to make you happiest unless you do something about it, no matter how risky or safe you play it out it's best to do something about it then stress about it.

I still love super long hair and I admire it on people who really know how to take care of their hair. However, I've realized that I am happiest with my current hair and it's okay that it's not the tailbone length I originally wanted.

TheHowlingWolf
July 24th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Sorry for not replying in awhile...I think I'm going to try to cut my hair today. Idk....it's just in the way & extremely tangley. & The ends are getting thinner.

Cirafly24
July 24th, 2015, 12:25 PM
My hair was a bit past classic, almost to FTL when I cut it to BSL in February. I always thought I could never cut it, that I would be bereft and feel like less of a woman. However, I have not regretted it for one single moment. I liked having long hair, but since it was so long, I never wore it down. It was always in a bun or a braid. I enjoyed compliments from people who loved that it was so long, but I really didn't get any pleasure from it anymore. Once I realized that, the decision was easy.

The only downside I've found is that all the buns I used to do all the time don't work anymore. My ends are too blunt for many of them, and I don't have the length for some of them. I've been too lazy to find new ones that work, so I've been wearing a lot of ponytails hehe. Anyway, with shorter hair, I don't feel so bad if I want to heat style it once in a while, and I'm even thinking about putting a brightly colored streak or two in it, just for fun! It's back to waist length now, and I'm already starting to feel like I want it a little shorter again. Someday maybe I'll grow it long again, but for now I'm happier with shorter hair.

I don't know if you have kids, but another reason I first thought about cutting was when my two year old would grab my braid and run away with it! Ouch!

TheHowlingWolf
July 24th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I just cut it & as of now, I don't regret it. It's not perfect, but this is the first time I've ever cut my own hair (besides bangs). I am actually able to run my fingers through my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was like, "WOW!!!" I don't remember the last time I could actually run my fingers through my hair without having 100 tangles! When I pull my hair forward, it looks like about waist length...but when it's in the back, it looks about hip length. So I'm not sure how long it actually is (it's still wet). & My braid is so short (compared to how it used to be)!!! I put oil in my hair and will probably do a deep conditioning treatment...then tonight I will wash it & see how it looks in the morning. I'm kind of nervous of how my coworkers will take it. Idk why...I know I shouldn't care what they think...However, my crush works tomorrow...eek!

lapushka
July 24th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I'm glad you didn't cut that much off and only went a milestone back (TBL / hip). I sure hope you continue to feel positive towards this. :) Good luck!

TheHowlingWolf
July 25th, 2015, 08:19 PM
It's been over 24 hours & I'm actually EXTREMELY glad I cut my hair!!! It didn't get in the way today at work, I was able to brush it in like 20 seconds with NO tangles, I was able to put it in a fishtail braid....AH! Why didn't I do this sooner?! & nobody at worked even noticed until I said, "Do you like my hair?" I guess long hair to them is long hair lol.

browneyedsusan
July 25th, 2015, 08:56 PM
:agree: long hair is long hair. No one notices a "minor" trim of 6 or 8 inches! :)

AZDesertRose
July 25th, 2015, 09:23 PM
I'm not even going to answer all the questions, because my answer boils down to: It's your hair. Do with it what makes you happy.

P.S. to the OP, I am sure you're a lovely, intelligent, sweet person. I couldn't work in an animal shelter because it would make me sad that I can't ADOPT ALL THE ANIMALS (to misquote/paraphrase Allie Brosh of "Hyperbole and a Half"). :D I volunteered in the cat adoption room of a local shelter for a while, and I loved the kitties so much, and it made me happy when they were adopted but it made me sad that I couldn't adopt any myself. (My budget is such that I can't afford to take [what I consider to be] good care of a pet.)

Neelie
July 26th, 2015, 04:21 AM
& how did you decide to cut it? Like, how did you go from "maybe I'll cut it" to "I'M GOING TO CUT IT!"?
How did you make sure it was what you wanted?

I had waist length hair a few months ago... i was going through a bit of a rough patch in my life, no job, tough previous relationship issues, identity crisis etc etc, a few things just came together in my mind which really made it hard for me to see things in a clear objective manor... i was bored with myself and my life and who i was... so one day, i googled short hair styles and got this mad idea that i wanted to go short.... i rang the salon same morning, made an appointment in the afternoon and cut my hair a few hours after just getting this notion... handed the girl a picture of a layered feather look, one-sided, with appr. 7" hair left.... she said yes yes she knew exactly what to do. i trusted her, felt brave, and only realized when it was already too late what she had done.... she had taken a machine and buzzed me like a sheep. she left about 2cm and shaved totally at the back and right side.... i was too shocked to argue or do anything. i paid and left.......... and cried....

tbh, that decision, that same morning to cut off waist long hair, was the worst decision i've made in the last years.... and thats being honest. i remember no other decision in the past that ive made, that has left me so depressed, and sad, and feeling so bad about myself than this one..... deeply regret in and id give ALOT to have my hair back... now, all i can do is take supplements, follow every trick ever listed to encourage growth, and have a pic of a girl with long hair as my pc wallpaper.....

Neelie
July 26th, 2015, 04:23 AM
oh and tbh, there are no real pro's and con's to short or long hair. it all depends on your own routine and preferences and how you handle your short/long hair day to day. i had no problems handling either long or short..... (although, my BF tended to lean on my long hair by accident... lol)