PDA

View Full Version : New hairdresser Im terrified!

Rhoward
June 30th, 2015, 05:54 PM
So I'm booked in for a trim with a new hairdresser in 3 hours, the last "trim" I got took me from just shy of BSL to just above APL, with really hap hazard layers i didn't ask for, my hair was a mess! Butchered is an understatement, its not even the same length on each side! I was devastated, months of growing gone. I've worn it up for the past 2 months but i have a wedding to go to soon and I really need it to look nice, much as I don't want to I knowI have to find a layered style I can live with and grow from, without crying every time I look at it - that is assuming this hairdresser can cut hair! She does look very professional and charges A LOT but at this stage I'm prepared to pay whatever I have too.

Has anyone else had this sort of experience? any advice on what sort of style i could ask for? I'll report back when its been done to let you all know how it went, thanks so much

DeadlyUnicorn
June 30th, 2015, 06:24 PM
I think most people have had bad experiences with hair dressers.. I would just try to explain really well exactly what I want and more importantly, exactly what I DO NOT want. I've told stylists I've had my hair cut back 6 inches or MORE!!!! when I asked for a trim of about 2 or 3 inches and that that is what I DO NOT want, AT ALL! Lol. It seems to be working better when I tell them that but I still don't trust any of them...

Good luck though!! I'm hoping the best for you :o

ositarosita
June 30th, 2015, 06:29 PM
DeadlyUnicorn said it very well. Not only do you want to bring pictures of what you like but also pictures of what you don't like, explain that you are currently growing out a horrible cut etc. The more information you can give them the better.

Lady Mary
June 30th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Can you wear your hair up for the wedding? If not how about some kind of temporary extensions, clip ins?

meteor
June 30th, 2015, 07:13 PM
I think most people have had bad experiences with hair dressers.. I would just try to explain really well exactly what I want and more importantly, exactly what I DO NOT want. I've told stylists I've had my hair cut back 6 inches or MORE!!!! when I asked for a trim of about 2 or 3 inches and that that is what I DO NOT want, AT ALL! Lol. It seems to be working better when I tell them that but I still don't trust any of them...

Good luck though!! I'm hoping the best for you :o

^This!

It's probably best to just learn to self-trim (using Feye's self-trimming technique or the closed-book-method), but if you must go to a salon... here are a couple ideas:

* Warn her that you are growing out a bad haircut and want your hair long;

* Ask for a "dusting"/micro-trim, rather than a "trim";

* If possible, ask for a dry cut - I find it gives less opportunity for hairdresser to cut off too much;

* Be ready to stand up and leave any moment - and warn the hairdresser in advance that that's what you'll do if your instructions aren't being followed.

* Bring clear pictures of the hairstyle on *your* hairtype with the exact result you want and, before they begin, make sure they agree that they can achieve exactly that on your hair;

* If she's cutting on wet hair, bring all the hair tools you may need, just in case - esp. for detangling: the wide-tooth comb, the tangle teaser, the serum/detangler - some people bring their own shampoo/condish ...

Best of luck! :D I really hope it will go great and you'll love your new trim! :love:

Rhoward
June 30th, 2015, 07:20 PM
great ideas thank you so much everyone, I feel a lot more confident in talking to her now, I guess its silly but I always feel about 2 inches tall when trying to talk to a hairdresser!

Rhoward
June 30th, 2015, 10:39 PM
success! got the ends "dusted" and she went through my hair section by section and did a S&D, thanks for your support guys, I appreciate it

pili
June 30th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Yay! That's great.

Brunette_Barbie
June 30th, 2015, 11:19 PM
I also get nervous when I go to the hairdresser, but oddly enjoy going to the dentist.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 30th, 2015, 11:52 PM
I also get nervous when I go to the hairdresser, but oddly enjoy going to the dentist.

You must be the only one :p

Lady Mary
July 1st, 2015, 05:48 AM
success! got the ends "dusted" and she went through my hair section by section and did a S&D, thanks for your support guys, I appreciate it

Awesome! She's a keeper :)

lapushka
July 1st, 2015, 06:06 AM
Great to hear of a good experience once in a while (they're not common). :thumbsup:

Mimha
July 1st, 2015, 07:13 AM
Well, I probably arrive a little late, but I also wanted to say that it's better to SHOW to the hairdresser the exact maximum length to cut off, instead of talking about centimeters or inches. Hairdressers usually don't have the same notion of centimeters ^^... You say 3 cm max. and they visualize it as 15 cm. :nono: