PDA

View Full Version : Self trimmed face framing layers???

Eastbound&Down
June 30th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Is it possible for me to do it myself? I can't go to a salon, I get major anxiety just thinking about them messing up my progress, but I could really do with some shape maybe even some side swept bangs.. anyone know of a method?

Arctic
June 30th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I have cut mine myself. I don't really have a method to share, I just snip away. I have a look in my mind and my intuition often helps me to achieve that looks :) It sounds haphazard but works for me. I have no idea what other people think of my face framing layers though, whether they look self cut or not. But I personally like mine a lot (you can see photos in my blog). Side swept bangs I might not be brave enough to do myself, or... lets's put it this way: I have been known to give myself different kinds of bangs/fringes but I can't recommend anyone else to do it themselves.

That being said, you tube videos are a good place to start. Especially look for ones made by hairdressers themselves.

Some key words you might find useful while researching: angles and point cutting.

ositarosita
June 30th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I use a variation of the compact cut method ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pqHOa_WgA

Arctic
June 30th, 2015, 02:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIXRtGSpNgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jGJjLdZp8w

These seem good too. (You can adjust the length of the shortest layer to your taste.)

vpatt
June 30th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Arctic I like your cut around your face and I like the videos from both you and Ositarosita.

I have been wondering if I would want something similar as my hair grows. No need now, but it is good to have some ideas for later.

ghost
June 30th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I've used this tutorial for face-framing layers before: http://www.howtohairgirl.com/2013/01/5-diy-haircuts-to-try-today/

It's pretty easy to do, and I love that she gives different options and before-and-afters.

hannabiss
June 30th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I do my own blunt bang(in winter) and my own face framing layers (all year round) I too just sorta have at it. I kinda just grab the hair that's in front of my ear to ear hairline and trim it in a downward fashoin. Definitely no expert but I think I look all right and never had anyone stop me in disgust of my layers

Amapola
June 30th, 2015, 05:39 PM
I've been trimming my own bangs for years. I started out by making a part in my hair from the edge of one ear, straight up over my head to the edge of the other ear. All the hair behind that line I bound back, all the hair in front I combed forwards. I tip my head forward until I am facing the ground, comb the hair forwards towards the ground and then trim from one side of my chin to the other, straight around. It works better when your hair is wet, so I always trim right after I have washed, if it's getting too long and bugging me.

I have a friend who cuts hair, and she was giving me a trim on my ends once, but told me I did such a good job on my bangs she did not dare to trim them. :) So I guess it's not too bad. I used to do layers, too. I would stand straight up, and comb the hair straight up in the air. Then I would trim along the edges of the comb. It worked real well. I don't bother with that these days though.

It is so handy to be able to do it yourself, right when they need trimming, instead of having to make an appointment, pay someone money etc. I just don't have time for all the fuss and bother. Much nice to just whip out my scissors and trim.

MandyBeth
June 30th, 2015, 07:45 PM
I cut my own bangs all the time. No one besides DH can cut them right, so home only. If they're really grown out, he cuts them to reset the shape, otherwise I can trim easily.

Youngest minion now is rocking some curly bangs because I put up with the begging for a year. She's had them for three months and would love heavier bangs but what my wavy hair will tolerate - cut short, it goes straight - is so not for her obsessively curly hair.

meteor
June 30th, 2015, 09:10 PM
I think cutting bangs or one face framing layer should be pretty easy... but if you need to blend that in very well with the rest of the hair, I would plan it out very carefully and watch a few YT tutorials, because that seamless blending is where I would imagine most of the work is... Sorry, I wish I were of more help on this. :flower: