PDA

View Full Version : am so frustrated - grow hair, grow

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 05:23 AM
Why did i have my hair chopped to shoulder length in April, why!!???? Why do i always do this just as it starts to get long. Normally i never think about it, it seems to grow back really fast anyway, but now I've decided I really want to grow it, and really long, it seems to be crawling down my back at snail's pace - only just to APL now. I need several more inches of hair and a hug! Here it is this time last year (was cut to shoulder earlier in the year):

http://m3.i.pbase.com/t9/78/646978/4/160601103.IvP5vjb4.jpg

Arctic
June 30th, 2015, 05:37 AM
Think positive (and try to concentrate on other things than growth/length)! Congrats on APL, I think few months from shoulder to APL is lightning speed, mine takes a year :D

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Think positive (and try to concentrate on other things than growth/length)! Congrats on APL, I think few months from shoulder to APL is lightning speed, mine takes a year :D

Aw thank you Arctic! Mine does grow quite fast. i think faster at present, partly because it's recovering from stress shedding some time ago, and partly because i'm being a lot more careful with it than I ever have before.

restless
June 30th, 2015, 06:01 AM
YouŽll get there in no time, dont worry :) :flower:

Shoulder---> APL in just 3 months is really fast too (at least to me). How much do you get in a month on average?

Wusel
June 30th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Shoulder---> APL in just 3 months is really fast too (at least to me). How much do you get in a month on average?

Yes. I can't believe it's so fast.
Did you measure correctly?
What do you mean by shoulder?
Hair barely touching shoulder with ends or already lying on the shoulders?
Depends on what you mean by shoulder.
I have something about 13-15cm from shoulder (what I consider to be shoulder) to APL.

Don't be frustrated.
APL is a very nice length. :)
Read my latest blog post what my BF said about it. :)

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 06:12 AM

Oh, gosh, I've no idea, i didn't measure (I'm incredibly sloppy about that sort of thing). I think it really speeded up last month, it seemed to shoot down in growth. i tried the inversion method, so i don't know if that had anything to do with it. All i know is that pics with it first done are just below the shoulder, and now it's just at APL. A friend said she reckoned it had grown about four inches, but i don't think it can be that much. I do know that I always seem to get it chopped when it reaches mid back or so, and it always seems to grow like mad in the summer. If you look at my album it shows (again not very scientifically) my constant alternating between below shoulder and BSLish.

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Yes. I can't believe it's so fast.
Did you measure correctly?
What do you mean by shoulder?
Hair barely touching shoulder with ends or already lying on the shoulders?
Depends on what you mean by shoulder.
I have something about 13-15cm from shoulder (what I consider to be shoulder) to APL.

Don't be frustrated.
APL is a very nice length. :)
Read my latest blog post what my BF said about it. :)

I have high shoulders with collar bones that slant upwards towards my shoulders, and when it was cut, the longest bit at the front was resting on the top of my collar bones (I see I'm going to have to start taking accurate photos of each stage). I just measured it and the longest bits at the front are 4" longer - that CAN"T be right, that's an impossible amount of growth in just under three months!

Oh, thank you for being supportive Wusel :) I'm off to read your blog (between watching Wimbledon)

Aaroo
June 30th, 2015, 06:19 AM
I agree that it is growing fast! You are lucky, soon it will be long as you wish :flower: Scalp massage really helps too.

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 06:22 AM
I agree that it is growing fast! You are lucky, soon it will be long as you wish :flower: Scalp massage really helps too.

I'm not sure it always grows that fast, but yes, have being doing the inversion method :), with massage. also using peppermint EO in my final rinse.

Arctic
June 30th, 2015, 06:38 AM
If I'd be you, I'd just continue doing those things you've mentioned, and since the summer is not over yet, you probably reach BSL sooner than you think!

You can be very happy with your growth, most of us with avarage growth and who trim really do take a year between big milestones. Enjoy your hair and growth and also enjoy the length you are at now. There are always nice styles that can be done with only X length, and of which we outgrow.

I also warmheartedly recommend trying to forget the growth anxiety, hair will grow whether you think about it or not. I know you have said you don't want to become obssessed, so I would try to curb this feeling you have now right away. I find it's important to be happy with the length I am at now, rather than always long for longer lengths, more more more and never being satisfied (been there myself too in the past).

Again congrats on reaching APL, it's a nice length and starts to look long in the eyes of muggles (and me!). :D

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 06:55 AM
If I'd be you, I'd just continue doing those things you've mentioned, and since the summer is not over yet, you probably reach BSL sooner than you think!

You can be very happy with your growth, most of us with avarage growth and who trim really do take a year between big milestones. Enjoy your hair and growth and also enjoy the length you are at now. There are always nice styles that can be done with only X length, and of which we outgrow.

I also warmheartedly recommend trying to forget the growth anxiety, hair will grow whether you think about it or not. I know you have said you don't want to become obssessed, so I would try to curb this feeling you have now right away. I find it's important to be happy with the length I am at now, rather than always long for longer lengths, more more more and never being satisfied (been there myself too in the past).

Again congrats on reaching APL, it's a nice length and starts to look long in the eyes of muggles (and me!). :D

Thank you for your wise, kind words. I'm am obsessive and impatient with anything i get involved in - frustrating, but also fun and a great learning curve. It's just I'm kicking myself for getting it cut in the first place. It was the impulse to henna that led me to this site for info, then I was inspired by all the beautiful long hair and, since i am now a redhead, I had an urge to let it grow...and grow. It is here now - just APL i think; it would have been longer if i had stretched it out. also that top is below armpits - judging by the way other people seem to jam the towel or top as high as they can ;)

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/78/646978/1/160601479.aHU0D5iJ.APL.jpg

Galloway
June 30th, 2015, 08:08 AM
I'm impatiently waiting growth too... It is frustrating but I know that my hair is growing, slowly but I'll take it. I keep hoping I'll go to bed and wake up like Rapunzel, well maybe not that long of a length (I think it would get in the way ) but I'm still at collar bone. If that is the latest pic of your hair then I think you don't have long to wait until BSL. Love the color too!! Happy growing and hennaing :)

Arctic
June 30th, 2015, 08:15 AM
Thank you for your wise, kind words. I'm am obsessive and impatient with anything i get involved in - frustrating, but also fun and a great learning curve. It's just I'm kicking myself for getting it cut in the first place. It was the impulse to henna that led me to this site for info, then I was inspired by all the beautiful long hair and, since i am now a redhead, I had an urge to let it grow...and grow. It is here now - just APL i think; it would have been longer if i had stretched it out. also that top is below armpits - judging by the way other people seem to jam the towel or top as high as they can ;)

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/78/646978/1/160601479.aHU0D5iJ.APL.jpg

Your hair is very beautiful, I love your henna colour!

I understand regretting the cutting, but as they say, it's useless to cry over spilled milk. You'll be back to where you were in no time, and then some! Let's hope your summer growth spurt continues well into autumn!

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Your hair is very beautiful, I love your henna colour!

I understand regretting the cutting, but as they say, it's useless to cry over spilled milk. You'll be back to where you were in no time, and then some! Let's hope your summer growth spurt continues well into autumn!

Thank you so much. I'm really pleased with the henna colour. Yes, hopefully it will keep on growing - it usually does...but then i wasn't watching it before LOL

Daylilly
June 30th, 2015, 02:59 PM
I always cut my hair just when it is getting long too. I am so thankful for the no trim challenge or I might be back at shoulder by now.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 30th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Your hair is looking lovely, and you are certainly at APL. The best way to not obsess over the growth is to put it up and forget about it for a few months, get busy with other things, and it will grow when you aren't watching it.

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I'm impatiently waiting growth too... It is frustrating but I know that my hair is growing, slowly but I'll take it. I keep hoping I'll go to bed and wake up like Rapunzel, well maybe not that long of a length (I think it would get in the way ) but I'm still at collar bone. If that is the latest pic of your hair then I think you don't have long to wait until BSL. Love the color too!! Happy growing and hennaing :)

Thank you so much Galloway. I think it grows fairly fast. I always seem to be around bra strap length by the end of the summer if I get it cut earlier in the year.
Lol, I know that Rapunzel longing. I eagerly look at mine each morning in case it's sprouted madly in the night! The colour I owe to Jamila baq over my greying blonde hair.

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Your hair is looking lovely, and you are certainly at APL. The best way to not obsess over the growth is to put it up and forget about it for a few months, get busy with other things, and it will grow when you aren't watching it.

I never wear it up, maybe I should! Ah, growing when I'm not watching it - hard not to watch! I feel as if I ought to sneak up and catch it having a surreptitious growth spurt. And thank you for your kind words: i've been admiring yours since I first joined the site. BTW, is it you I saw a photo of with a blue butterfly hair ornament?

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I always cut my hair just when it is getting long too. I am so thankful for the no trim challenge or I might be back at shoulder by now.

Ah, so you understand. I'm not going to trim mine either, unless it gets splits, which it doesnt seem to do. Yours looks really long and thick though.

*ReiKa*
June 30th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Your color is absolutely to die for!!!!! Proper natural red! Please keep it, it's too gorgeous!
And don't worry, hair is growing and you'll get where you want to! But please, do not get obsessed, it doesn't help.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 30th, 2015, 06:16 PM
I never wear it up, maybe I should! Ah, growing when I'm not watching it - hard not to watch! I feel as if I ought to sneak up and catch it having a surreptitious growth spurt. And thank you for your kind words: i've been admiring yours since I first joined the site. BTW, is it you I saw a photo of with a blue butterfly hair ornament?

Thank you :) Yes, there is a photo on my 3 year hairiversary thread of my hair in a bunned French braid. The butterfly is a brooch I purchased in an antique shop decades ago. The wings are real butterfly wings and gleam and flash so beautifully in the sunlight.

meteor
June 30th, 2015, 09:25 PM

Shoulder---> APL in just 3 months is really fast too (at least to me).

Agreed! :agree: You'll get there very soon! Gosh, that's very fast growth!! :applause
Whatever you are doing must be working well! And it sounds like you are much gentler to your hair now, too. I'd keep doing whatever you are doing! It's working great! :cheer:

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 11:54 PM
Thank you :) Yes, there is a photo on my 3 year hairiversary thread of my hair in a bunned French braid. The butterfly is a brooch I purchased in an antique shop decades ago. The wings are real butterfly wings and gleam and flash so beautifully in the sunlight.

It's stunning. I dreamed about it the night after I saw the picture.

flickm
June 30th, 2015, 11:57 PM
Agreed! :agree: You'll get there very soon! Gosh, that's very fast growth!! :applause
Whatever you are doing must be working well! And it sounds like you are much gentler to your hair now, too. I'd keep doing whatever you are doing! It's working great! :cheer:

Thank you for the encouragement :) i'm not sure if my hair always grows that fast. I usually forget about it till it looks straggly, then chop it, then it seems to be long again before I know it, so I have no real yardstick by which to measure it. But, yes, no more blow drying at all, let alone on full heat, no more hair elastics, no more brushing - or pulling out strands to use as emergency floss!

vpatt
July 2nd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Lol, you made me laugh about the floss.

Is it bad to use hairdryers if we use the cool setting? I mostly don't even use the cool setting...but sometimes.especially go outside or have a fan on.

The elastics kill my hair. I guess because it is so fine? I have been not using them at all. I did try the method of cutting a section from tights, tho. Seems to work good for a braid end.....not sure it would hold up a pony tail.

flickm
July 2nd, 2015, 02:36 PM
Lol, you made me laugh about the floss.

Is it bad to use hairdryers if we use the cool setting? I mostly don't even use the cool setting...but sometimes.especially go outside or have a fan on.

The elastics kill my hair. I guess because it is so fine? I have been not using them at all. I did try the method of cutting a section from tights, tho. Seems to work good for a braid end.....not sure it would hold up a pony tail.

I think low heat is a lot less damaging, but i'm not taking the risk. Besides, now I'm not blow drying, i find i have waves! I'm not doing pony tails ever again - that was what destroyed the top layer of my hair. I have a layer growing down where it's recovering.

Glad you liked the floss comment ;) I stopped myself today from pulling some out, or even using the end of my hair still attached, and went upstairs and got some floss instead.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 2nd, 2015, 02:41 PM
Blow drying on cool or warm is fine, just don't hold the dryer really close to your hair. I do this in winter so I don't have to sit shivering for hours with wet hair. I also stop using the dryer when my hair is 80-90% dry, this way I am not overdrying all the moisture out of it.

meteor
July 2nd, 2015, 02:45 PM

Cool setting is safe. I believe, up to around 50℃ should be fine *. And a fan is a great way of drying hair, too! :thumbsup:

* Gamez-Garcia M. The cracking of human hair cuticles by cyclical thermal stresses. J Cosmet Sci. 1998;49:141 :
“In this figure it can be seen that temperatures lower than 50℃ do not increase the average number of cracks already present in unexposed hair, while temperatures higher than 95℃ lead rather to hair surface and bulk distortion. It is quite plausible, thus, that temperatures lower than 65℃ do not produce the critical rate of water evaporation needed for the top part of the cuticles to contract and become rigid, while temperatures higher than 85℃ might soften the cuticle proteins, releasing, thereby, the mechanical stresses by viscous flow.” - from p. 148 Journal of Cosmetic Science, http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1998/cc049n03/p00141-p00153.pdf

Cat11 posted a great way to make ribbons work for ponytails here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132074&p=3024332&viewfull=1#post3024332):

Yes, they hold well. And more comfortable than ponytail holders. The way I do it is, take the ribbon and hold it in the middle with one hand, holding the ponytail with the other. Then put the ribbon in your other hand (still holding it in the middle), With your thumb holding on the bottom of the ribbon in the same hand you are holding the pony with, use the other hand to tightly wrap the ribbon around 3-6 times (depending on length and how big you want the bow to be) and add the tail to your ponytail hand, retaining tension. then grab the other side of the ribbon and wind in the other direction for the same amount of times (for even bow tails) and then tie as desired. If you do a bow make a basic criss cross tie first to keep it from loosening while you bow. There's no limit to how many times you wanna wrap it. I always cut my ribbons quite long. Wrapping more makes it tighter. Tight is key. Tying a normal bow alone will never work for long... I use this method for braid tassels too

edit: pics or it didnt happen lol. no hairties. & my hair is heavy as hell

Arctic
July 2nd, 2015, 02:47 PM
Yes, cool and even warm blow drying is ok. As long as it doesn't feel uncomfortable on your skin, your hair shouldn't suffer either. I blow dry regularly and my hair is very healthy (although not long). Another thing: it's the agressive brushing, often with round brush, that many people accsiate with blow drying, that is harmful to hair. I only use brush on special occasions, my every day blow drying is done with hands/fingers only.

flickm
July 2nd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Yes, cool and even warm blow drying is ok. As long as it doesn't feel uncomfortable on your skin, your hair shouldn't suffer either. I blow dry regularly and my hair is very healthy (although not long). Another thing: it's the agressive brushing, often with round brush, that many people accsiate with blow drying, that is harmful to hair. I only use brush on special occasions, my every day blow drying is done with hands/fingers only.

Ah, i might use my dryer again - except I'm getting waves with letting it dry naturally. I never ever used a brush while blow drying - just blew back, then turned my head upside down and dried the roots.

vpatt
July 2nd, 2015, 03:55 PM
Thank you all for the info.

I definitely see where long hair in the winter could cause some shivers when washing.

I think I will go find some ribbon right now and try a pony tail just to see if I can do it. I think I have some in my sewing stash.

I can honestly say I've never thought of using hair as floss....of course, it needs a certain length, doesn't it?

missrandie
July 2nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
I had a thought about your hair...
your "scragglies" are really just super fast racer hairs! They wanna be long NOW! Lol... if the little guys start bugging you, just trim the ultra long ones. I have a couple in my fringe that were a half inch longer than the others! They needed trimmed back.

From the sounds of it, you have a good problem. Happy growing :)

vpatt
July 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Ok.....it took me a while to find the ribbon....had to look up and downstairs. My ribbon is 1/4". I missed it if there was a certain width. The short story is yes, it works! Details....I didn't get as close to the scalp as I would like.....but with practice I bet I could. But if not it will do a great low ponytail. Thanks Meteor.

I will practice it soon...but I think there is a book calling my name right now.

Oh and flickm, I love the new avatar.