PDA

View Full Version : Ombre Hair Help??

liaaa444
June 29th, 2015, 03:07 AM
I want to achieve a sort of "ombre highlights" look. Similar to the image at the bottom of this post.
Currently, I have dark brown hair (with tints of red shining through due to dying it red previously), and a little bit brassy ombre highlight, although not as intense and the highlights are relatively thin (got it done at the salon).
I want to find a way to dye over my hair with a green tinted brown to remove the red and also do this ombre look on my own, can't afford the salon again.
Should I just dye over my hair in the brown, then wait (how long should I wait?? can I dye and bleach in the same day??) then do the ombre with bleach, or is there another way to go about this?
Also, how do I get the look of these "ombre highlights" and not the dip dye ombre look, I want it to blend with my hair to look better with my features and not be as drastic.
Thanks in advance for the help!!

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/getty/459497314.jpg?w=780&h=439&fit=crop&crop=faces&q=70

floraflowerpowe
June 29th, 2015, 03:26 AM
The picture looks more like highlights to me or a balayage. You say you have brassy highlights already. Do you want to tone them to a more blonde color or do you want to get rid of them in the first place and then add new highlights?

The easiest way (lazy way) in my opinion is dye it all brown and wait a couple of days and then add highlights/ombre/balayage. (In my opinion ombre is the dip-dye look and balayage is a sort of ombre with highlights to make it more soft and natural).

The healthy way is to go to the salon of course, as they know what they are doing. If I had to do this myself I'd probably tone my highlights in the first place if the rest of your hair is already the desired color. After that I'd do some balayage. You should use some professional equipment though, like foil and a dye brush.

I hope this makes sense, as it doesn't really makes sense to me anymore :o. Just google balayage and I'm sure there are plenty tutorials on how to do balayage on youtube :).

Alien Girl
June 29th, 2015, 04:31 AM
This isn't ombre... Looks like balayage. Honestly this will be difficult to do by a beginner, since balayage is a hand-painting method.
Why do you want to dye over your whole head again? IMO you could just use a TONER not a complete dye (to reduce damage)?

I think this ones for the professionals.

liaaa444
June 29th, 2015, 10:26 AM
The picture looks more like highlights to me or a balayage. You say you have brassy highlights already. Do you want to tone them to a more blonde color or do you want to get rid of them in the first place and then add new highlights?

The easiest way (lazy way) in my opinion is dye it all brown and wait a couple of days and then add highlights/ombre/balayage. (In my opinion ombre is the dip-dye look and balayage is a sort of ombre with highlights to make it more soft and natural).

The healthy way is to go to the salon of course, as they know what they are doing. If I had to do this myself I'd probably tone my highlights in the first place if the rest of your hair is already the desired color. After that I'd do some balayage. You should use some professional equipment though, like foil and a dye brush.

I hope this makes sense, as it doesn't really makes sense to me anymore :o. Just google balayage and I'm sure there are plenty tutorials on how to do balayage on youtube :).

How long should I wait between dying and bleaching?

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Looking at the picture, I'd say it's a combination of hand-painted balayage and a few foils to give that sun-kissed look.
I'd go to a good colorist for this, especially since your base sounds a bit complicated - some older faded dye, older highlights...
It would probably take the route of a good toner and a combination of strategically placed lowlights/highlights (working with the older highlights whenever possible) to keep the damage minimal.
And, of course, don't forget to do the pre- and after-care for processed hair: coconut oil soaks, hydrolyzed protein packs... ;)

endlessly
June 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Depending on your experience, it's going to be incredibly difficult to achieve a similar look as the picture. While you can bleach and color in the same day, that doesn't necessarily mean you should as it's incredibly damaging. Also, red is notoriously difficult to remove or even cover, so while you may have a temporary fix by coloring over it with a brown tone, it will eventually show through again - trust me, I've learned this the hard way many times! My only experience with bleach is doing a bleach wash on my hair; I had hoped to remove a dark dye job, but ended up with an accidental ombre since the bleach sat longer on my ends.

If this is really the look you're after, do a lot of research - watch YouTube tutorials, ask friends/family to maybe help you out, and if need be, consult a stylist. You mentioned that you don't have the funds for a stylist, but in my experience, if you do make an unfortunate mistake, it's going to cost a lot of money to correct it, so it doesn't hurt to "shop around" at various salons and see what their prices are before you attempt to take it on yourself. If you happen to have any beauty schools in your area, you can always go there as well for a more affordable option - downside, though, there's an increased likelihood they will screw it up, so be forewarned about that, but it is an option as a last resort. Otherwise, whatever you decide, best of luck and just remember to take really good care of your hair before any experiments with dye/bleach.

JellyBene
June 29th, 2015, 12:05 PM
If you already have a brassy ombre I would recommend toning your hair rather than dying over it. I would need to see a picture of your hair to be sure but I imagine you are at a 7 on your blonde parts if it's brassy. i reccomend going to sallys and get some toner from the Wella brand (for a level 7) and some 10vol developer. Mix them about 50/50 and apply all over dry hair. Leave it on for 15-20 min and shampoo out. Sadly toners do fade eventually so you might like the Shimmer lights shampoo and conditioner from sallys too, they tone over time while you wash with them. They smell pretty strong but get the job done