PDA

View Full Version : Tying braid with Yarn

rosance
June 29th, 2015, 12:56 AM
So, I have decided to try something new. I have been tying my hair with a piece of yarn for about 3 weeks now. I braid it into the braid when I am about 5 inches from the ends and then wrap the yarn tails at the bottom and tie them up. My question is, does this sound like something hair friendly? I am trying to thicken my ends and risking something thinning them out is not an option. the yarn I use is 100% acrylic. If it is rough on the hair, could I dampen it in oil to make it friendlier? I haven't yet noticed any breakage though :)

floraflowerpowe
June 29th, 2015, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure, but I think it won't damage your hair. With my textile background acrylic is synthetic, which won't absorb oil most likely. The oil will just rub off onto your hair so I don't think oiling it will make any difference.:)

Loktra
June 29th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Seems friendlier than an elastic, for sure. I've done similar things to finish braids with silk yarn or embroidery floss. You could always try something smoother like that if you're worried about friction from the yarn itself.

Nope
June 29th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I think a satin scrunchie or a soft hair tie designed for children would work just as well, but if you feel like the yarn is working for you, then carry on~ :cool: it sounds like it would look prettier anyway!

Nadine <3
June 29th, 2015, 01:00 PM
I braid a paranda into my hair all the time and that's just yarn. My ends don't suffer from it. I did wash mine in some conditioner, I didn't rinse it I let it dry full of condish :)

Anje
June 29th, 2015, 01:20 PM
Add me to the acrylic-yarn-paranda-wearing club. (Actually, this thread reminded me, so I wore one today.) It's not quite the same as what you're doing, OP, but it's a very gentle way to tie off a braid with yarn, especially if you make the paranda longer than your braid would be, so you're only tying the yarn together. I just tie those by looping a few strands of yarn around the rest of the braid and passing them under themselves in a half-hitch, something that I can't/won't do with my hair to secure a braid.

Anyway, if you want to look at that thread, here it is. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490)

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I think it's perfectly fine. :D

Yarn can make hair a bit fuzzy if rubbed against hair strands too much, but I don't see how it's damaging.

But for a snag-free tie, check out silk ribbons (you need to incorporate/weave them into the braid early on for better hold).

lapushka
June 29th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I too think it's fine. But I bet a scrunchie (like Nope said) or one of those knotted elastics will be fine also.

yahirwaO.o
June 29th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I know some you guys heres knoo how to tie a ponytail with a yarn, and high ones... Can you guys help me with this, cant find it!!!!!

I did mine today as a headband with a bandana and tye my hair in a ponytail...its comfortable but I want to give it a try with a lace, a yarn or a ribbon

Aderyn
June 29th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I think the hair friendliness of tying it off with yarn also depends on the material the yarn is made out of and how soft/smooth it is against the cuticle. :)

meteor
June 30th, 2015, 02:24 PM
I know some you guys heres knoo how to tie a ponytail with a yarn, and high ones... Can you guys help me with this, cant find it!!!!!

I did mine today as a headband with a bandana and tye my hair in a ponytail...its comfortable but I want to give it a try with a lace, a yarn or a ribbon

YahirwaO.o, have you checked out this thread: How to make hair ribbons work? - http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132074
This suggestion might be of help ;) :

Yes, they hold well. And more comfortable than ponytail holders. The way I do it is, take the ribbon and hold it in the middle with one hand, holding the ponytail with the other. Then put the ribbon in your other hand (still holding it in the middle), With your thumb holding on the bottom of the ribbon in the same hand you are holding the pony with, use the other hand to tightly wrap the ribbon around 3-6 times (depending on length and how big you want the bow to be) and add the tail to your ponytail hand, retaining tension. then grab the other side of the ribbon and wind in the other direction for the same amount of times (for even bow tails) and then tie as desired. If you do a bow make a basic criss cross tie first to keep it from loosening while you bow. There's no limit to how many times you wanna wrap it. I always cut my ribbons quite long. Wrapping more makes it tighter. Tight is key. Tying a normal bow alone will never work for long... I use this method for braid tassels too

edit: pics or it didnt happen lol. no hairties. & my hair is heavy as hell