PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair oil or other leave-in useless when I use coney shampoo and conditioner?

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I need cones and sulphs, I know this now, otherwise - SHED DRAMA and VELCRO ISLAND.
But I want to use some moisturizing leave-ins too because I want terminal (as I decided lately) and my hair is still on the dryish side. Not velcro but still not moisturized enough.
It seems to be better when I use a leave-in or oil BUT I've read that cones put a layer on the hair so that moisture can't reach it and so it stays dry inside the cone jacket. How can I make moisture reach my hair when I use cones? The coney conditioner makes my hair smooth and I can comb it without ripping tons of hairs out. But I want to moisturize it so that it doesn't break or split on its way to terminal...
Help!

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I need cones and sulphs, I know this now, otherwise - SHED DRAMA and VELCRO ISLAND.

:lol:

I use WCC (double conditioning, with silicones), then do ROO (use mineral oil on the ends), then use LOC (leave-in (silicones), gel, serum (silicones)). Believe me, I have the most soft, most moisturized hair - ever. So don't believe the hooey on stuff not penetrating once there's silicones on there; it's nonsense.

Lauraes
June 28th, 2015, 04:05 PM
My shampoo, one of my conditioners, and my leave-in all have cones and I haven't found that they make oil any less effective. :)

Nique1202
June 28th, 2015, 04:13 PM
If silicones made an impenetrable moisture barrier on hair, then my hair would never dry after a wash because I use a coney conditioner in the shower AND a coney serum while my hair is damp, but I still have to oil it every couple of days because it gets so dry and tangle-prone. So, no, silicones don't make other products less effective. :beerchug:

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 04:15 PM
:lol:

I use WCC (double conditioning, with silicones), then do ROO (use mineral oil on the ends), then use LOC (leave-in (silicones), gel, serum (silicones)). Believe me, I have the most soft, most moisturized hair - ever. So don't believe the hooey on stuff not penetrating once there's silicones on there; it's nonsense.

Thank you. I'm relieved. Good to know that I still can moisturize it more.
I did CWC today which is great but not enough and now that I know it's not useless I can go to my bathroom and moisturize with a leave-in and serum.
Even though it's after midnight in Germany.
I don't know what I'm gonna do when I move in together with my BF someday.
I moisturize my hair in the middle of the night and call LHC for help because I can't sleep because I'm worried about my hair not being moisturized enough.
I'm a weirdo.
:rolling:

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 04:17 PM
If silicones made an impenetrable moisture barrier on hair, then my hair would never dry after a wash because I use a coney conditioner in the shower AND a coney serum while my hair is damp, but I still have to oil it every couple of days because it gets so dry and tangle-prone. So, no, silicones don't make other products less effective. :beerchug:

Thank you! :)

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 04:18 PM
My shampoo, one of my conditioners, and my leave-in all have cones and I haven't found that they make oil any less effective. :)

Would you pls tell me which leave-in you use?

Lauraes
June 28th, 2015, 04:42 PM
Would you pls tell me which leave-in you use?
Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Leave in Conditioning Cream. :)

Loktra
June 28th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I'm so glad someone asked this! I too have recently given in to my hair's demands for sulphates and cones and was worried a lot of the habits (oiling, using leave ins etc) I picked up while using non-sulfate and cone-free were now moot. I didn't really think they were since I still get better results when I oil my ends before they dry...but it's nice to get confirmation from LHC members :)

One thing I'm still curious about:
Is there still a point to BBB-ing when you use sulfates? It helps me stretch washes and keep my hair looking better, but on the other hand it seems kinda silly to distribute the oils I'm just going to strip out of my hair...

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I agree with everyone. Silicones can't lock out completely oils and water. Even if they could do that, you'd have to apply a TON to get any decent coverage and then hair would not be able to get wet. :lol:

One thing I'm still curious about:
Is there still a point to BBB-ing when you use sulfates? It helps me stretch washes and keep my hair looking better, but on the other hand it seems kinda silly to distribute the oils I'm just going to strip out of my hair...

Sure, it can be useful. :agree:
If you oil your hair and some time later you wash it, it's the same principle. You still get benefits from the oil, even though you "de-grease" hair with cleansers periodically. So yeah, spreading oil (with a BBB or whatever) is still good for hair, you just "re-set" it by washing it off periodically. :)

A corollary question I have on oils and cones is: Can pre-poo oiling actually help dissolve some of the build-up of silicones? I find that I can get a cleaner wash if I use pre-poo coconut oiling + clarifying shampoo + conditioner than if I just use S&C. Maybe oils bind to non-water-soluble cones and then it's easier for the detergent to wash the stuff away? Kind of how OCM (oil cleansing method) can work as the first step (before standard cleanser) in double-cleansing of skin? :hmm:

pailin
June 29th, 2015, 12:12 AM
Don't know if the oil dissolves silicones, but it should help dissolve/loosen at least some things- anything lipophilic.

spidermom
June 29th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Consider that you distribute cones through your hair, not coat every strand completely like you're placing each hair into an impenetrable drinking straw.

Wusel
June 29th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Consider that you distribute cones through your hair, not coat every strand completely like you're placing each hair into an impenetrable drinking straw.

I actually used to think that cones are some kind of miraculous stuff and do exactly this.:D
Like, put each and every hair in a tight plastic bag :D

lapushka
June 29th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I actually used to think that cones are some kind of miraculous stuff and do exactly this.:D
Like, put each and every hair in a tight plastic bag :D

If that were true I wouldn't be able to stack so many. :p Or it's plastic bag over plastic bag over plastic bag. :lol: Now imagine that!

Nope
June 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM
If you're concerned about the cones then you can try double conditioning; use a silicone free one the first time, and then a coney one the second time. It works amazing for me and that way I don't have as much build up from using tons of coney products, yet still have soft hair.

yahirwaO.o
June 29th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Well its one of those things that vary from person to person. If u want you can still use it and have your cones and sls mixed. In my case Id be just fine with shampoo- oil combo or shampoo-conditioner and even with just shampoo I'll survided. If I mix to much stuff it gets weight down and my unforgiven fine hair would be sad and limpy!! :p