PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Garnier Fructis?

alexis917
June 28th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I noticed a bit of coarseness at my ends (which for me, means damage), so I used my old bottles of Garnier Length and Strength shampoo and conditioner. Now I'm smooth, silky, coned up, and happy! That was four days ago, and I still have no dryness- or sign of greasiness!

I figure, I better stock up on this. And it appears to be discontinued! It's not even on the company website. Sigh.

Do any of you use Garnier? If you do, which products would you recommend? If not, what turned you away from it/ruined the experience for you?

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 12:49 PM
^ I really like Garnier Fructis!

Years ago, I've had some pretty bad experiences with salon products, as well as most "natural" products, and I remember my amazement at how soft and manageable my hair got as soon as I went back to GF (and some other drugstore products).

In reality, my hair loves lots of slip without build-up from some unnecessary botanicals, and GF products (at least the ones I use) are really good at providing that. Word of caution: they tend to be heavy on fragrances, unfortunately, so not good for sensitive skin. Also, sometimes it's really good to rotate more moisturizing products with something lighter, less conditioning, just to reset things a bit.

My favorites were discontinued (such is life :violin: ), but some of the current ones would be Hydra Recharge shampoo, Sleek & Shine Conditioner and Anti-Frizz shine serum and Marvelous Oil serum and Triple Nutrition conditioner.
(My hair is multi-textured, dense and loves a lot of moisture.)

Also, I heard great stuff about Garnier Ultra Doux (Ultimate Blends) lines, and the ingredients look great, but they aren't available here! :wail:

Nadine <3
June 28th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I tried the Hydra Recharge shampoo and conditioner when I started looking for a conditioner with a cone that wouldn't build up. The conditioner wasn't great for me...not heavy enough or something...after several uses my hair was dried out. The shampoo was okay but after several uses of it I ended up with sore scalp pimples. I have one of the marvelous oils now, and I LOVE it! I used half a bottle and then went to the store and bought a few more to add to my hoard of products I love. Now I use Pantene Agua light shampoo and conditioner with the Garnier leave in.

alexis917
June 28th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I tried the Hydra Recharge leave-in, and didn't care for it, but I'm curious about the other products now! I might look into the triple nutrition, as well.

Funny thing: almost all the reviews for Garnier's Pure Clean conditioner are super negative, even on the company's site. It's their only cone-free conditioner, and everybody is complaining about tangles :p

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Funny thing: almost all the reviews for Garnier's Pure Clean conditioner are super negative, even on the company's site. It's their only cone-free conditioner, and everybody is complaining about tangles :p

Yeah, I didn't "get" Pure Clean. It felt not really "clean", actually, like there was some waxy build-up for me. I noticed a bit of a trend: when a brand tries to suddenly avoid using cones or go "green", it often replaces cones and other maligned ingredients with less functional stuff that can build up even faster. :lol:

As for Triple Nutrition, it has had a bit of a cult following (it used to be cone-free but still super-slippy), I remember a few fan threads from the days when people were stocking up on it as the formula was being changed.

Did anybody try Damage Eraser line or Full & Plush line (with filloxane, which supposedly temporarily thickens strands (http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/))? How are they? :)

Aderyn
June 28th, 2015, 01:29 PM
I've used the Damage Eraser conditioner as a co-wash recently and really liked it. My scalp was not flaky, greasy and I didn't shed more like with other cowashes.

As meteor noted, though, they are heavy on the fragrances so I don't really use GF. And I don't really cowash, so no need..

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I still have a few bottles left of the GF Triple Nutrition (might be named differently by now), and I *love* it. I love it almost as much as my Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. It can compare, but it's not quite the same, the HE HH is a lot more detangling.

renia22
June 28th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Was the length and strength the same as long & strong, or were they 2 totally different products? Was length & strength discontinued recently? One thing you can try if it was recently is continued, is comb your local discount stores (Big Lots, Ocean State Job Lot, etc) to see if they have any. Personally I have not had much luck with Garnier (made hair feel dirty, or dry & tangled depending on the formula, didn't like the scent) except for the European Ultra Doux line. You can sometimes find those in Euoropean grocery stores. We have a few Polish grocery stores in my area that oftentimes will have that line, it's pretty good. Maybe you can find some in your location if you can't track down length & strength. The lavender rose is the one I have used & liked.

alexis917
June 28th, 2015, 08:09 PM
^I think so! I believe it's replacement is "Fall Fight", but it looks pretty different....

yahirwaO.o
June 28th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Well I tried once the shampoo version with caffaine supossly to reduce shedding in my aunts house (not sure if they sell this one outside Mexico)

My hair came out straw dry and poofy. Shedding well I have a better method that seems to work better. This is my only experience and it wasnt that great :(

renia22
June 28th, 2015, 09:16 PM
^I think so! I believe it's replacement is "Fall Fight", but it looks pretty different....

Oh okay, that's one I actually tried & didn't like, very limp hair from that one. Maybe you'd have better luck with it, or better yet, maybe they will bring your length & strength back. That's the worst, when a product you like gets axed :(

Frankenstein
June 28th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I used to like the Color Shield shampoo and I remember using the Triple Nutrition (?) with 3 oils when my hair was bleached. I haven't used any GF since but I may revisit in the future.

missblueeyes
June 29th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I used to love the Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner that only has amodimeticone! It smells divine and leaves my hair super slippery but 'sadly' I found out that 'cone-free works a lot better for me. :) I think Garnier has some really great products, though! I remember using it (and Glem Vital Coconut) a lot in my childhood when I had hip length hair.

alexis917
June 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM
When I was little, I was determined to collect all the colors of Herbal Essences! I didn't know the Triple Nutrition only had amodimethicone- definitely going to look into that once I run out of this.

missblueeyes
June 29th, 2015, 09:17 AM
When I was little, I was determined to collect all the colors of Herbal Essences! I didn't know the Triple Nutrition only had amodimethicone- definitely going to look into that once I run out of this.

Do check the ingredients list, though. It has been a while since I got my bottle and the European versions are known to differ from the US versions IIRC.

endlessly
June 29th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I used to love Garnier Fructis products, but what really turned me away from the entire brand was the smell. I remember very clearly that I had used up one bottle, went to purchase another one and the scent had changed - it was just way too strong and too fake perfume-y, if you know what I mean! Also, for whatever reason, it didn't work the same for my hair. I think after that I switched back to Herbal Essences (the original rose-scented one was the least offensive smell to me) before finally cutting out all silicones since I realized that was causing more issues than it was solving. I switched to Lush about two years ago and since then, I haven't looked back as they were so much better for my hair.

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 11:50 AM

Yes, it does look pretty different. :hmm: Fall Fight bottles are marketed as anti-dandruff around here and have caffeine & biotin as their "star" ingredients. I can't remember exactly, but I think Long & Strong (or Length & Strength) products were pretty different from that and marketed as "fortifying", "anti-breakage", "anti-split-ends" and for "fragile" hair.

ETA: He-he, so as I tried to find something on old Long & Strong line, this funny ad popped up. :lol:
They certainly aren't afraid of exaggerations :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGPk8REc24I

alexis917
June 29th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Oh god, I remember cringing at that!!

I forgot about the possible difference across the pond, oops. Still jealous of whoever gets to use the Ultra Doux stuff, though!

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 01:04 PM
^ Ha-ha! Me too! And why on earth don't they bring Ultra Doux/Ultimate Blends to "the New World"? :justy: Isn't it a successful line in Europe?
Also, their Oil + Shampoo products (for Indian market, as a play on traditional pre-poo oiling) look very interesting, but again: not sold here!

lapushka
June 29th, 2015, 01:08 PM
^ Ha-ha! Me too! And why on earth don't they bring Ultra Doux/Ultimate Blends to "the New World"? :justy: Isn't it a successful line in Europe?
Also, their Oil + Shampoo products (for Indian market, as a play on traditional pre-poo oiling) look very interesting, but again: not sold here!

Yes, it's called Ultra Doux in France, Belgium. The Netherlands, being a neighboring country don't have Ultra Doux either! So you see, it's not an over the pond thing exclusively. Well now they do have it over the pond (UK) as Ultimate Blends.

I love it even more than Garnier Fructis! It's *very* good of a line!

alexis917
June 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Never heard of their oil stuff for the Indian market....might save me a little time, as a pre-poo oiler. Since it seems oil is catching on in the US, and everywhere else (albeit mostly silicone serums), I hope they release them everywhere!

rhosyn_du
June 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I didn't "get" Pure Clean. It felt not really "clean", actually, like there was some waxy build-up for me. I noticed a bit of a trend: when a brand tries to suddenly avoid using cones or go "green", it often replaces cones and other maligned ingredients with less functional stuff that can build up even faster. :lol:

That's really interesting! I haven't tried the Pure Clean conditioner, but I love the Pure Clean gel, which is the least "product-y" feeling gel I've ever used that still provides good hold. I would have expected the conditioner to be similar. What a shame.

I'm really sad they changed the Triple Nutrition conditioner formulation. I was absolutely in love with the old formula, and although my current conditioner is great, it's still no match for old-formula Triple Nutrition.

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Never heard of their oil stuff for the Indian market....might save me a little time, as a pre-poo oiler. Since it seems oil is catching on in the US, and everywhere else (albeit mostly silicone serums), I hope they release them everywhere!
Yes, they advertise it as a way of saving time on doing traditional Indian champi ("like granda recommends"), but looking at the ingredients (http://indianbeautycenter.blogspot.ca/2013/12/garnier-fructis-strengthening-shampoo-oil-2-1-review.html), it seems like it's pretty similar to the Triple Nutrition shampoo... the clear one...? Boy, their products are pretty confusing at the speed that they reformulate stuff, change names and branch out.

I've heard folks at Paula's Choice refer to Garnier Fructis as one of the places to look for dupes for Kérastase products (which are also under the L'Oréal umbrella, obviously). Personally, I didn't notice any similarities, though I haven't had much experience with Kérastase. Do GF products remind anyone of other brands in terms of their functionality?I'd like to branch out a bit (once my use-up-your-stash challenge is over :oops: ).

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 02:01 PM
That's really interesting! I haven't tried the Pure Clean conditioner, but I love the Pure Clean gel, which is the least "product-y" feeling gel I've ever used that still provides good hold. I would have expected the conditioner to be similar. What a shame.

I'm really sad they changed the Triple Nutrition conditioner formulation. I was absolutely in love with the old formula, and although my current conditioner is great, it's still no match for old-formula Triple Nutrition.

I've never tried that gel. Generally, I think a lot of their leave-in and styling products are quite good. Especially from the Sleek & Shine line.
I feel the same way about that reformulation. :( I don't know why on earth they did it, despite the protests all over hair forums and even GF's review section of the website. It was an incredibly slippy product, and without any cones! :thud:

Frankenstein
June 29th, 2015, 04:00 PM
I used to love Garnier Fructis products, but what really turned me away from the entire brand was the smell. I remember very clearly that I had used up one bottle, went to purchase another one and the scent had changed - it was just way too strong and too fake perfume-y, if you know what I mean!

Same here, I never cared for the smell at all. I'm not picky about fragrances in hair products but it's too sweet/apple-y for me.

sumidha
June 29th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I've never been into their shampoos or conditioners, but I really like the Sleek & Shine Anti-frizz Serum as a leave-in.

alexis917
June 29th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I'm curious about that gel, now. But I really should use up my EcoStyler BUCKET.

renia22
June 7th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Has anyone from Canada tried the Grapefruit Tonic shampoo & conditioner? Does it smell as amazing as it sounds? I'm hoping this comes to the US, but so far we don't have it:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/elikitty/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsupcjucdx.png (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/elikitty/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsupcjucdx.png.html)

MINAKO
June 7th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I sometimes use the leave in of the new wonder butter whatevs line but i honestly wouldn't think of it as amazing, kinda blah but the price is good.

vampyyri
June 9th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Oh, my hair loves this stuff! I had used it for a month before initially going from dyed red/brunette to blonde back in 2012, and the salon I went to was amazed how resilient my hair was after bleaching, followed by soap-cap bleach, and finished off with toner. I like to think that this line helped have enough of a barrier on my hair for it to look half decent after all of that damage.

sumidha
June 9th, 2016, 11:24 AM
I used the Whole Blends Honey Treatment conditioner yesterday and I really like it. It's cones and lots of humectants, and while it doesn't smell exactly like honey, it's close enough and not too perfumey. The only way it could be better (for me) is if they added some protein. :D

I'll be getting the bigger bottle when this little one runs out.

Groovy Granny
June 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM
I used GF for a long time... until argan oil began staining my silver, and I needed products with more moisture.

lapushka
June 9th, 2016, 01:53 PM
The triple nutrition is still one of my faves. I have no bottle of it left now, used the last one a number of months ago. Loved it, both with silicones and without. There's not another product I can say that about!

lapushka
June 9th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I used the Whole Blends Honey Treatment conditioner yesterday and I really like it. It's cones and lots of humectants, and while it doesn't smell exactly like honey, it's close enough and not too perfumey. The only way it could be better (for me) is if they added some protein. :D

I'll be getting the bigger bottle when this little one runs out.

Not exactly the Fructis line. I think the whole blends line has a whole entire thread devoted to it ;)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136393

Decoy24601
June 9th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I use the Garnier Fructis Pure Clean conditioner. My hair and cones don't get along and this conditioner detangles my hair, hydrates, and provides some "slip" without the cones. I'm going to try using it in an SMT soon. I've been using this brand off and on since I was a kid and my mother and I both swear by it (we have basically the same hair, but hers is naturally blonde). I use a shampoo bar with sulfates and that solves any buildup issues I might encounter.

Chamomile betty
June 11th, 2016, 05:54 AM
I use the Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner for Dry, Damaged, Hair. I bought the 40 fl oz over a year ago and I have 1/4 to go. Sometimes I use it by it's self and other times I'll cocktail it with Suave Naturals in Strawberry. I shampoo and condition 3x a week. I really like it but I'd like to use it up before I try something else. Overall I believe it's a good brand to try.

Decoy24601
June 11th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Well, let me eat my words a little. I haven't had any issues with the Pure Clean Conditioner building up... until I used it in an SMT. I think it'll still be fine for me to use it that way as long as I clarify, but I definitely won't be using it as my normal conditioner anymore.

VixenWolfMare
June 11th, 2016, 10:14 PM
One of the best things i have ever done for my hair is quit Garnier Fructis products. My hair Hated it but i was a young girl (like 12/17ish) and i saw on TV that it was good for long hair. It made my hair really buildupy :( and dry and brittle. My hair really hates everything. When i quit Garnier Fructis I switched to just water because i was broke and in collage. My hair actually got softer to spite the water in the dorms being gross. Eventually I found ion and the repair line is the only thing my hair likes.

littlestarface
June 11th, 2016, 10:20 PM
One of the best things i have ever done for my hair is quit Garnier Fructis products. My hair Hated it but i was a young girl (like 12/17ish) and i saw on TV that it was good for long hair. It made my hair really buildupy :( and dry and brittle. My hair really hates everything. When i quit Garnier Fructis I switched to just water because i was broke and in collage. My hair actually got softer to spite the water in the dorms being gross. Eventually I found ion and the repair line is the only thing my hair likes.

I never seen you before I just had to comment on your sig, you have very pretty hair:inlove:.