PDA

View Full Version : Questions about clarifying

Frankenstein
June 28th, 2015, 09:39 AM
About once a month, I wash my scalp/roots with a clarifying shampoo. But since coming to this forum, it seems like the proper way to do it is to also wash your length. I have never done this because my length reacts badly to direct contact with shampoo. Does only washing the roots still count as clarifying? I don't feel like the rest of my hair really needs it, although sometimes I get buildup from cones but that seems to go away with a regular wash or two. Anyone else on here who doesn't clarify their length? And is it okay to go without doing it?

Nique1202
June 28th, 2015, 10:12 AM
If your hair is happy (not dry, not getting buildup, not feeling oily or waxy or mushy or brittle or otherwise weird at all) then you're doing it the right way for your hair. There's no right or wrong as long as you're happy with how your hair is and you're OK with the routine you have.

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 11:46 AM
^ This.

And yes, you should be fine without clarifying the length. Let your hair guide you. ;) I think those of us who use lots and lots of heavy leave-ins and especially styling products feel the need to clarify the length more often, but we all have different preferences about how heavy or much product should be layered on hair, and it's OK to do clarifying on ad-hoc basis. :)

If you get build-up though, you know how to reset it! ;)