PDA

View Full Version : Hair on right side of head grows faster - Half inch difference in hemline :(

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Title says it all.
Very annoying because I don't want to trim this year.
Is anyone else out there with the same problem?
It's the whole right side of my head. Even my bangs grow faster on the right side.
It's about HALF AN INCH difference between left and right.

I knew it.
I'm an alien.:couch:

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 05:23 AM
It's not that much. I'd just ignore it. Doesn't matter in updos, anyhow, unless you wear your hair down a lot.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 28th, 2015, 05:24 AM
I don't find this myself, but the hair on the right side of my head is thicker, I notice, than the hair on my left side.

wilderwein
June 28th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Meeeeee!!!! It's quite noticeable, but I dont mind anymore! I mean all the parts of my body are asymetric, why should my hair bother me?

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Meeeeee!!!! It's quite noticeable, but I dont mind anymore! I mean all the parts of my body are asymetric, why should my hair bother me?

:rolling: All the parts of your body??? :rolling::rolling::rolling:

wilderwein
June 28th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Hahahah well you know! One hand slighlty longer than the other, etc! But I mean those are stuff that I only notice, it's not like I'll leave my hair down and all the world will be like ''OH NOOO ONE SIDE OF HER HAIR IS HALF AN INCH LONGER THAN THE OTHER :shocked::scared:"

Mimha
June 28th, 2015, 05:55 AM
Hi Wusel !

I also notice this on my hair. It drives me nuts, lol. But I try to refrain from trimming too quickly as my waves are tricky : sometimes it's just a matter of how the ends curl up more on one side than another, and a couple of weeks later it's on the other side ! :laugh:

One time I wanted to trim one side that clearly looked longer since weeks. But when my hair was wet and ready for the trim (i.e.stretched), it happened that it was the absolute other way round : the longer part was the one looking shorter (:bigeyes: ???) ... just due to the fact my hair curled more on one side. So well, I let it be and went on the one-year-no-trim-challenge to remain far from my scissors^^. The longer the hair gets, the less impact waves will have.

But it's true that growth can be different on each side of the head. Usually, it follows your body orientation (if you are a righty or a lefty). You can definitely have a more efficient growth on one side. There is not much you can do about it except evening it up by trimming from time to time.

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Yep, I'm seconding Mimha on this. If you have some kind of texture in your hair, it can depend. One week this side plays up and is longer/shorter, the other week the other side. I just... let it grow. ;)

Lauraes
June 28th, 2015, 07:27 AM
My hair has no waves at all and I've noticed that unless I've trimmed super recently, one side is noticeable longer than the other. :p So you're not the only one.

Lady Mary
June 28th, 2015, 08:19 AM
One of my sides is thicker and grows faster. It could be based on which side you sleep on?

Frankenstein
June 28th, 2015, 08:50 AM
One of my sides is thicker and grows faster. It could be based on which side you sleep on?

I have heard that sleeping on one side of your head all the time can make the hair on that side grow slower than the rest but I have no idea if it's true. However, my right side seems to be shorter than my left if I go a long time without trimming, and that is indeed the side I sleep on. I think it's normal for hair to grow out unevenly though, don't worry too much :)

Marika
June 28th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I sleep mostly on one side and that side has always been shorter and thinner. In my case, I think it's because of the breakage and mechanical damage even though I don't sleep on my hair. But I feel like it's become more fragile and that's why more prone to damage. I have roots because i'm growing out henna and there isn't any difference in growth, so it has to be breakage. Back in the day, I used to have A shape hemline (shorter middle and longer sides). Obviously that was breakage too because I got rid of that after I made some changes.

Seeshami
June 28th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Muffin Had to cut two inches off of his highness a few weeks ago to even him out. Mess is a monster though.

The naughty mess says, "you touched scissors to me. It means death"

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM
I have heard that sleeping on one side of your head all the time can make the hair on that side grow slower than the rest but I have no idea if it's true. However, my right side seems to be shorter than my left if I go a long time without trimming, and that is indeed the side I sleep on. I think it's normal for hair to grow out unevenly though, don't worry too much :)

I sleep on my back since I'm growing out. I concentrate on lying still like a mummy on my back :rolling:, nose in exact ceiling direction and NOT to the left or right. NO WAY that that's the reason for this misgrowing. :rolling::rolling::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce: :bounce:

ositarosita
June 28th, 2015, 01:54 PM
It's fairly common my length grows .25" faster than my canopy and my left side is slightly thicker than my right side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlaR6q2n3zQ ... here, this may help

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 02:52 PM
It's fairly common my length grows .25" faster than my canopy and my left side is slightly thicker than my right side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlaR6q2n3zQ ... here, this may help

Ositarosita, thank you very much for the video link. Very informative.
You know, I used to trim my hair regularly my whole life at least every 3 months so I didn't know about this. Now that I didn't have a trim since October 2014 I see for the first time that my growth is so uneven. I was absolutely clueless about this until now.

ositarosita
June 28th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Ositarosita, thank you very much for the video link. Very informative.
You know, I used to trim my hair regularly my whole life at least every 3 months so I didn't know about this. Now that I didn't have a trim since October 2014 I see for the first time that my growth is so uneven. I was absolutely clueless about this until now.

You are very welcome, I was the same way. Every 3-4 months I would go to the hair dresser and he would cut my hair, it wasn't until I started taking care of it myself that I noticed.

luxurioushair
June 28th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Hahahah well you know! One hand slighlty longer than the other, etc! But I mean those are stuff that I only notice, it's not like I'll leave my hair down and all the world will be like ''OH NOOO ONE SIDE OF HER HAIR IS HALF AN INCH LONGER THAN THE OTHER :shocked::scared:"

Hahaha! Very funny! I would wait a month or two, op.

spidermom
June 28th, 2015, 05:53 PM
My hair grows faster on one side than the other as well, but it evens up over time.

curlylocks85
June 29th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Title says it all.
Very annoying because I don't want to trim this year.
Is anyone else out there with the same problem?
It's the whole right side of my head. Even my bangs grow faster on the right side.
It's about HALF AN INCH difference between left and right.

I knew it.
I'm an alien.:couch:

Hello my fellow alien. 

My hair grows faster on my left side, than my right side. I used to fuss over it, but now, I just roll with the punches. It's not a big deal to me anymore. I am not trimming this year either. I just want my hair to grow. 

Arctic
June 29th, 2015, 04:01 AM
My left side seems to have started to grow faster than right. I don't consider it a problem though, I just need to occasionally even them out (because I like even hemline).

flickm
June 29th, 2015, 06:08 AM
Hair on my left is longer, thicker, wavier. Hair on my left arm and leg is more abundant too. I'm a freak! (I sleep equally each side)

maegalcarwen
July 7th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I have it too! But for me it is more, I think about 5 cm or so? I tried trimming a little, it helped for a while, but now it just looks funny. Also, I have a side parting with more hair on the right, so it only adds to the look... but grrr!

Horrorpops
July 7th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Wow I had no idea your hair could grow faster or thicker on one side of your head! The human body is incredible!! I say embrace the organic weirdness and just trim a little more on your right side if it really bugs you. :p but like pps have said, your body is never perfectly symmetrical, if it was it wouldn't look natural. :)

Wusel
July 7th, 2015, 12:28 PM
I've decided to leave it like it is. Some people wear mohawks so why not wear an asymmetrical hemline. I'm a freak anyway so it matches my personality perfectly.:rolling:

Horrorpops
July 7th, 2015, 07:33 PM
I've decided to leave it like it is. Some people wear mohawks so why not wear an asymmetrical hemline. I'm a freak anyway so it matches my personality perfectly.:rolling:

Hahaha Wusel your posts always make me laugh!
And people deliberately get asymetric hair cuts - your hair is just doing that naturally :p

turtlelover
July 7th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Mine does the same thing. I just do a little trim when it starts to bug me.

Brunette_Barbie
July 7th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Ask you parents/guardian how you slept as a baby. I have one side of my hair that's longer than the other too and my mother thinks it's because I slept on one side, causing my hair to grow that way.

Knifegill
July 8th, 2015, 02:34 AM
Try sleeping on a different side every night.

Wusel
July 8th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Try sleeping on a different side every night.

I sleep on my back only :)

Wusel
July 8th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Hahaha Wusel your posts always make me laugh!
And people deliberately get asymetric hair cuts - your hair is just doing that naturally :p

My first career aspiration was comedian, the second teacher. Which is, at least in my case, very similar.:p