PDA

View Full Version : Retinol serum for hair?

Wusel
June 27th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I have this
http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/retinol-treatments/_/Resist-Intensive-Wrinkle-Repair-Retinol-Serum/
and can't use it for my face anymore because I got discolorations. Can I use it on my hair?
Strange question, I know.

Arctic
June 27th, 2015, 05:11 PM
"They" say usually the first 5 or so ingredients of the product are what it consists the most, the rest are there only minuscule proportions. It's very cone-heavy, and I think probably ok for hair. See how your hair likes it - even if it doesn't, the product is not likely to do any harm other than maybe build-up.

ETA: Oh yes, this is not a water based ("moisturizing") products, more like emollient and coating product, so maybe put some leave-in under or use it on damp hair? Maybe? It might prevent frizz as it seems anti-humectant, though I am not 100% sure about it.

Product Ingredients:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol (silicone slip agents/suspending agents), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Phenyl Trimethicone (silicone slip agent), Squalane (emollient), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Retinol (cell-communicating ingredient/antioxidant), Tocotrienols (vitamin E-based antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Laminaria Ochroleuca (Kelp) Extract (anti-irritant), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil (anti-irritant), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (skin-repairing ingredient), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate (licorice-derived anti-irritant), Hexylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

Wusel
June 27th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Thank you :) My hair loves cones, as I found out a couple of weeks ago, and the consistency is EXTREMELY similar to the John Frieda anti-frizz serum and I loved it for my hair, that's why I got the idea to use it on my hair. :)

meteor
June 27th, 2015, 05:48 PM
I agree with Arctic's take on this. :agree:

Admittedly, there are just lots of cheaper (and in bigger quantities) cone serum alternatives out there, e.g. the John Frieda you mentioned. :)

I don't know the effect of retinol on hair (hopefully it's not too harsh), but there is also Vitamin C in this product, and I believe it can lighten (dyed) hair or even dry it out a bit, if used in sufficient concentrations, so it's something to check, to make sure if it's OK to use. :flower:

I just wanted to throw it out there that, since you got discolorations from this, maybe you could return this product for a refund or for some other product that would be more appropriate? From what I hear, Paula's Choice has very good customer service and they happily exchange products for something gentler, since there is a lot of trial-and-error in skin care? Retinol is not tolerated by every skin type well, and certainly not in the same concentrations. :flower:

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Meh, just my call, but I wouldn't use it... If your face gets discolorations from it... no way I'd use it on my hair. Can't you give the product to a friend to maybe try out? I was about to say your mom, but... I know about the relationship between you two. So that might not be an option.

Serums are easy to find (for the hair). I last got one for about 4 euro at our local Aldi (from the brand Kyrell). It *rocks*. I stocked up heavily, and they went on sale even for 2 euro, and later for 1. I scored - big time. Now I just hope they don't go bad. But I mean, check out your Aldi (it might be there). In my case it was a one-off item. It might be permanent in Germany - who knows. :shrug: