PDA

View Full Version : Why not to go to a hair salon…

lll_Alice_lll
June 26th, 2015, 03:54 PM
So, I recently went to a hair salon with tail-bone length hair… I was a little nervous at first but didn't ever anticipate this…

So, after going in, the lady that was to style my hair asked me what i wanted. I told her just style it how you see fit but i don't want my hair to be damaged. She said something about a curling iron so i immediatly told her nicely, no. It would damage my hair from heat. She immediatly got rude with me. She rudely said, "I am like twice your age and know way more than you". I said "well fine but i want my hair to my knees so please don't". She got extremely angry and said she couldn't do anything then… not even blow dry. I told her the blow drying has a cold setting and i was fine with that. She told me if she blow drys my hair it will be hot because if we do this it's got to be "her way". Which is wierd since it should be my way… i eventually complied because my grandfather who was there was pressuring me. She roughly washed my hair after insulting me and my hair. Then she started brushing my WET hair angrily with a huge brush!! Not a comb… She was ripping out my hair in chunks just because she was in a bad mood! So i asked nicely to stop and told her id comb my hair myself… you'd think she'd be happy since she could just take a break. But no.. she got enraged took a comb out ( why didn't she use it in the first place…). Then she LITERALLY threw the comb at me. It bounced off my chest and landed in my lap. I froze then got really quiet. She made me feel like curling up into a ball and dying… Ironically enough the hair salon was called curl up and dye lol…

I silently combed my hair… but she got so angry… She started pacing back and forth. Then said she couldn't do this anymore and kicked me out… what did she have to do?! I had to do everything since she was so angry and hurting me! My scalp is red and blistered and my hair is falling out now!! It's also so thin at the ends from her ripping it out. She completely butchered my hair… This is the worst service I've ever experienced. I'm never going to a hair salon again!

She also treated me this way, i assume, because i look like a child and she thought she could get away with it. (People who look like children never get treated right… except on halloween lol) I'm 18 but have been told i look anywhere from a tall 10 year old to a 14 year old… No one should treat someone like that though, just because they can get away with it!

Although, this was my worst experience in a hair salon. I just can't go to one again.. She literally assaulted me with a comb, tore out my hair and verbally assaulted me by telling my hair looked bad etc. I just can't…

PS:
Sorry I have horrible writing skills… I'm an artist not a writer o.o

Aderyn
June 26th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Wow, how horrible! That behavior is 110% unacceptable and I'd honestly go in to talk to the management (at least) about the stylist and the result, maybe even the police if things get worse. She assaulted you, your scalp is red and blistered, etc.. I'd document the details, photos of the result and the like.

gthlvrmx
June 26th, 2015, 04:07 PM
:grouphug: That sounds like one of the worst salon stories I have ever read. You can totally cut your own hair by buying hair scissors and maybe trying the feye cutting method.

lll_Alice_lll
June 26th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Yea i actually do cut my own hair. XD
I "dust" it.
Ironically enough, i was just going in for a "styling" which should have been really easy for her. The only reason i even did that was because my grandfather wanted my hair done for a family reunion tommorow… ;-;

Frankenstein
June 26th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Wow, that's a true horror story. She sounds horribly unprofessional and should find a new job if she has such a bad attitude about doing hair. And how can you kick a client out of a salon like that??? I'm sorry that happened to you :-(

alexis917
June 26th, 2015, 04:31 PM
That's a terrible name for a salon...and she was disgustingly unprofessional. Be sure to notify a manager and leave honest reviews on every site you can.

Puffer Fish
June 26th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Agreeing with everyone else, here. Get someone to take photos of your irritated patches, and either write an email to management or go see management yourself when you can. If management will not resolve the issue in a reasonable way (store credit or a refund is NOT a reasonable way to resolve an employee pretty much assaulting you), leave honest reviews on the internet about your treatment from both the employee and the management.

I'm really sorry this happened to you! I hope your hair grows back quickly.

:grouphug:

Katlette
June 26th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I can't believe there are salons out there called 'curl up and dye'. shudder:

I'm so sorry about your awful experience! Definitely do complain through every channel you can think of. I wouldn't hold her behaviour against all salons, though, but it is completely understandable if you don't feel like stepping into any hair salon any time soon.

Katyusha
June 26th, 2015, 05:28 PM
What am I reading?? This is horrible. I agree that you shouldn't just leave her be! Make a phone call or write a letter because this lady clearly does not deserve to work there and butcher other people's hair! Maybe her boss even doesn't know about her attitude and I think she needs to be fired ASAP. It doesn't matter how young you look, customers just shouldn't be treated this way. I had similar experince a few years back when I wanted to get my natural colour back (from black to natural brown) so I went to a hair salon. They bleached my hair and it burned really bad so I asked if they could just wash my hair. They yelled on me that bleach is not on my hair long enough and left me with aditional 15 minutes even if I begged to get my hair washed. Hair dresser finally agreed to wash my hair and he pulled my hair really bad while combing and washing. My hair was left with weird orange brown tone and the hairdresser told me it's my fault. It was also burned and horrible. I had luck that in other salon when they saw what they did to me, repaired my hair for free! All recpect to them. I wasn't to a hair dresser since than and I don't plan to go any time soon. I learned to trim my own hair now so I can cut as much as I want and I don't spend any money :)

I am really sorry you had to go threw this. Hope your hair recovers soon :grouphug:

meteor
June 26th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Yea i actually do cut my own hair. XD
I "dust" it.
Ironically enough, i was just going in for a "styling" which should have been really easy for her. The only reason i even did that was because my grandfather wanted my hair done for a family reunion tommorow… ;-;

Oh my goodness! :( I'm so terribly sorry you went through that! :grouphug: It's so horrible! :(

I really hope your scalp will recover from the pulling very soon. Mine always did within a day or two. But if it doesn't feel better soon, please go to see a doctor. :flower:

I have to admit, some of that stuff happened to me: the excruciating ripping out of wet hair with a round brush, the wide-tooth comb finally thrown at me (after you beg for half an hour) because they didn't even know/believe that some people *need* a wide-tooth comb, and that's also how I was pressured into having a lot of hair cut off and then thinned out like crazy during a "trim" - because the hairdresser didn't even know how to proceed with long hair. :rolleyes:

It took me a long time and many failed salon visits to realize that hairstylists who only do short hair are sometimes simply not knowledgeable/experienced enough with very long hair, but too protective/defensive to admit it. Some don't even necessarily know how to wash/detangle long hair accordingly.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend going to a salon just to style really long hair, unless you get him/her by recommendation you trust or the hairdresser specializes in braiding and updos on long hair. If no such hairdressers are available, simply go to Youtube for hairstyles tutorials and/or get some curlformers or something like that instead.

If it's OK to share it here, I have a few tips for long-haired folks who can't self-trim, don't have a friend/family member who can trim for them and need to go to salons for cuts:

- ask for a dry cut - less opportunity for hairdresser to mess up during washing and detangling;

- bring specific pictures of the hairstyle on *your* hairtype with the exact result you want and, before they begin, make sure they agree that they can achieve exactly that on your hair (not just approximately);

- bring all the hair tools you may need - esp. for detangling: the wide-tooth comb, the tangle teaser, the serum, whatever you need!

- assume that they do not know long hair (unless that's their specialty). And if they do know it, then great! :D But don't assume that and be prepared: calmly explain all the steps, esp. the detangling stuff (some professionals are very defensive, and they hate to admit that they don't know something that they should, so be a bit of a psychologist and realize that some people will bluff and say they know what's best, but it's YOUR hair and you will live with the results, so if you get a feeling that your hair is being handled the wrong way...

- ... be ready to stand up and leave any moment - do NOT let them bully you into getting the same cut like everybody else in the chairs around you.

Now I like to go to barber shops, because, from my limited experience, they aren't embarrassed to admit that they don't know such long hair, plus, their repertoire is limited: so they just listen and ask you exactly what to do, and it makes the whole process a lot easier, faster and with no unpleasant surprises!

Hope this helps somebody out there to take back control in salons. :flower:

Alien Girl
June 26th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Wtf... Does this salon have a yelp page?? You should warn others and leave a bad review. That's unacceptable!!

woodswanderer
June 26th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Meteor has a great list of tips for salons. I would add to it that I would politely, but firmly tell the person upfront that I was particular about how I wanted things done and it would need to be done my way or I would need to find somewhere else. I would also say up front that I would be brushing my own hair.

I've had decent luck leaving my hair dry and letting the ends get misted with a spray bottle for a trim. I was forced to let a fellow student wash my hair for practice in nursing school and it was a complete nightmare. Never again!

lll_Alice_lll
June 26th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Misting is a good idea. However, the hair dresser told me she wasn't even going to touch my hair before she washed it.. How rude! I had just washed my hair too… it was very clean and smelled nice.

Carolyn
June 26th, 2015, 07:54 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you. What kind of a style did gramps want you to get? Do you know how to do buns and braids? Long hair is so simple to style in many elegant ways.

And yes there are Curl Up and Dye salons all over where I live in the midwest. I've seen that name many times and many small towns. Other goodies are Shear Delight and A Cut Above. The names are enough to scare a lot of long haired people away.

lll_Alice_lll
June 26th, 2015, 08:00 PM
He didn't really know what style xD
He doesn't like braids though and im inept with fashion ;-;
Thats why i told the hair dresser to style however just no damage… so she damaged my hair then gave me no style ~_~

ositarosita
June 26th, 2015, 08:19 PM
I am so sorry you went threw that. I completely agree with many other posts, take pictures of your scalp, your ends, the breakage EVERYTHING, right an e-mail, include the pictures name the "stylist" then go in and speak to owner/manager in person. DO NOT let them talk down to you or dismiss this.

LadyLongLocks
June 26th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Wow that sounded so horrible! I feel so angry! I would go join YELP (http://www.yelp.com/) and write a review on this salon experience! Nobody should be treated like that! So sorry!!! I know long hair salons are hard to find, but I don't go anywhere but those kind if I have too.That hair dresser should be fired for such unprofessional behavior!

calmyogi
June 26th, 2015, 09:12 PM
I have sworn off salons. Or getting my hair chopped on in general, at least, for a very very very long time. Not until I have the length to spare. I'm sick of them acting like they know. Most do not know long hair and frankly I don't think they give a hoot what you like or want. They do what they think is necessary. I haven't been able to find a long hair salon around me. I have googled long hair salon for towns and stuff in my surrounding areas with no luck. I'm sorry this happened, but not surprised! I would contact the manager and leave bad reviews plastered all over the internet like others have said.

Lucy Elizabeth
June 26th, 2015, 09:34 PM
shudder:shudder:shudder:

:disgust:

Oh my gosh your poor hair :(

That is absolutely despicable behaviour, I would definitely complain. YOU are HER customer, YOU are paying HER. Respect goes both ways. Haha I totally get the being treated like a child thing. I just turned 20 and still have these conversations:
Stranger: Are u finished school?
Me: Yes
Stranger: What grade are you going into?
Me:...third year of university...
*awkward silence.*

This is why I barely go to hair salons anymore, can't stand the patronizing stylists who complain the entire time and/or majorly disobey what you asked them to do. My mom trims my hair/styles the parts I can't reach and does a great job :o

I have nothing against stylists, I have had some pretty good ones in the past, however the vast majority that I have encountered have been extremely rude and condescending :shrug:
It's just hard to find long-hair-friendly stylists where I live :(
I really hope you/your scalp recover from this scary experience :love:

ghost
June 26th, 2015, 10:38 PM
That lady has some serious problems. Put her on blast on Yelp, complain to the manager by phone and email, threaten to report them for assault...whatever works!
Even if she had a hard time working with your requests not to use any heat for your hairstyle, she handled that completely wrong. I'm sorry you had such an awful experience.

HappyHair87
June 26th, 2015, 11:44 PM
That's CCCCRRRRRAAAAAZZZZY! Smh

flickm
June 27th, 2015, 04:03 AM
This is unbeleivable: she assaulted you. You CANNOT let this go, you MUST make a formal complaint. At the very best, you are a customer, you are paying for services. At the worst, she has treated you with incredible rudeness, roughness and lack of professionalism. I can imagine you may feel too intimidated to complain after this, but don't let her get away with it. It sounds as if she is used to a regular, conventional clientele who are happy to put themselves in her hands; but that isn't the point. If you pay for a service, you are entitled to a certain level of care and quality, and you clearly didn't get that here.

I hope you can deal with this and move on. Personally i very seldom go to a hairdresser because they and i have very different ideas about hair. To a hairdresser, long hair is shoulder length at the most, a trim means several inches, and they want to sell you the whole product range plus blow dry.

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 04:19 AM
Yeah, when she said, her way or else no way, I'd have told her in no uncertain terms where to stick her utensils. Getting a comb thrown at you, come on - how professional is that, not to mention her attitude from the get-go. I'm sorry this happened to you!

cat11
June 27th, 2015, 06:31 AM
I am so sorry you went threw that. I completely agree with many other posts, take pictures of your scalp, your ends, the breakage EVERYTHING, right an e-mail, include the pictures name the "stylist" then go in and speak to owner/manager in person. DO NOT let them talk down to you or dismiss this.

This. That dresser needs to be fired. You need to tell management and let them iknow exactly what she said and how she made you feel ASAP before too much time has passed. You can't let her get away with that... someone who THROWS something at a customer should not be working with the public

Johannah
June 27th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Oh wow, this sounds horrible! :grouphug: I'd definitely talk to the manager and explain the situation. She should be fired for that behavior, seriously.

TwilightShadow
June 27th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I agree with everyone else. You should definitely go talk to the manager. That woman has no business working there if she treats customers like that. I hope your hair can recover after this without too much damage.

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I sincerely hope she isn't the manager!

endlessly
June 27th, 2015, 10:07 AM
That is absolutely horrible! If I were you, I would call and complain, then basically demand that she be fired. It wasn't just a case of her being rude and mean, she outright assaulted you and if you wanted to, you could threaten to press charges especially if you have proof of injury, which it sounds like you do. Even if she did think you were a child, she had absolutely no right to treat you that way. You were paying her for her services, so she had no right to say that it would be done her way and she had no right to kick you out when she was going against your wishes. People like that deserve to be fired, I don't care if it was just a "bad day" for her or not, she had absolutely no right to treat you that way.

Elly May
June 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Did you grandfather see what happened? If so and he is willing, it would be good for him to go back with you as a witness. It definitely needs to be addressed, for everyone's sake, including the hairdresser. If she is allowed to get away with her behavior, then it is not helping her at all--all she learns is that horrible behavior is acceptable (since there were no consequences.....) So sorry you had this experience!

daPerley
June 27th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Such an horrible hair dresser! So happy I've stopped go to salons and style and cut my own hair now, can't remember how many times they cutted my HL hair to almost shoulders and the burnt smell when they've used the dryer, same thing on all salons I've been to.
Really hope that the maneger can do anything for you as a "patch", I would go half insane if that happend to me. :/

Ephemia
June 27th, 2015, 11:29 AM
I was open-mouthed reading this. She was completely unprofessional from the moment you walked in. The requests you made were perfectly reasonable, and she had no right to react like that. I agree with everyone else, complain to the manager and demand that she's fired. Any manager with any kind of sense would do something about one of their employees treating customers like that.

And what sane person calls their salon Curl Up and Dye??? If I went to salons, I wouldn't touch a place with a name like that with a barge pole.

gwenalyn
June 27th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Even if she did think you were a child, she had absolutely no right to treat you that way.

Especially if she thought you were a child!

Vanilla Mint
June 27th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you! I really do feel like you have a moral obligation to file a complaint, though, even though I can understand you never wanting to communicate with that stylist or salon again. :(

lll_Alice_lll
June 27th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Well i left a bad review aboit them on google. Sadly though they run that store .-.
Its a franchise so id have to speak to the ceo or somthing which seems impossible. And the other hair dresser there that took up for her runs the place too.. jointly. Theyre sisters… >_<

Aderyn
June 27th, 2015, 03:13 PM
If it were me, I'd go in and talk to them, and if they didn't do anything to try and resolve the issue, I'd press charges.

AmethystLily
June 27th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Oh, hayle naw! This is the type of behavior that can get someone sued or possibly put behind bars. The stylist was out of line from the beginning. Throwing an object at you? Assault. Even if it was just a comb. And her raking through your hair hard enough to pull CLUMPS out and leave RED BLISTERED irritated patches on your scalp also clearly indicated malicious intent. Red flags on their own, but her overall attitude and the insults she threw in added to this as well. Could also be considered assault. You should take photos of your irritated scalp and damaged hair. If you report this to the salon managers and they ignore it, then I would actually go to the police about this. Again, this can be considered assault, and it would be well within your rights to press charges.

brickworld13
June 29th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Well i left a bad review aboit them on google. Sadly though they run that store .-.
Its a franchise so id have to speak to the ceo or somthing which seems impossible. And the other hair dresser there that took up for her runs the place too.. jointly. Theyre sisters… >_<

It is not impossible to contact corporate customer service. Investigate the parent company and call corporate. Lodge a complaint. You would have a strong case if you wanted to go to the police, and you really should. Treating one customer poorly is not acceptable, and they did far more than treat you poorly.

meteor
June 29th, 2015, 02:14 PM
It is not impossible to contact corporate customer service. Investigate the parent company and call corporate. Lodge a complaint. You would have a strong case if you wanted to go to the police, and you really should. Treating one customer poorly is not acceptable, and they did far more than treat you poorly.

^ This. I think there is a possibility that she harassed you later through your grandfather because she's afraid that the bad review will reflect on the franchise and then might go higher. If going to police sounds too daunting over this, then it's a good idea to take it to Corporate Customer Service level, where people would be more likely to resolve the issue as they might be more worried about the potential image repercussions for them after their customer (and her scalp & hair) was treated so poorly. :flower:

DreamSheep
June 29th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Oh Gosh, that's awful

Please do file a formal complaint - that is no way to treat anyone!
Throwing stuff at you and basically belittling you for asking for what you wanted? I hope they get fired and their salon curls up and dies :p

lll_Alice_lll
June 29th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Oh Gosh, that's awful

Please do file a formal complaint - that is no way to treat anyone!
Throwing stuff at you and basically belittling you for asking for what you wanted? I hope they get fired and their salon curls up and dies :p

That is a good one! xD

CimarronSun
June 29th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Reading this made my scalp hurt. So sorry this happened to you. A lot of stylists seem to think losing that much hair is normal- I guess because they rip through peoples' hair like that all the time. Not good of you are a long hair! It hurts and seriously sets you back on your growth journey. What a dingaling she is.

spirals
June 30th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Curl Up and Dye? I know that name because I noticed it immediately, due to the clever pun contained therein. There's one fairly close to me. I hope it's better than this.

JamieLeigh
June 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I don't understand how it would be acceptable to just rip a comb through someone's hair whether it's long or short? Seriously, this is why I don't trust salons to handle my hair.

Also, we have Curl Up & Dye down here in the South as well. And there is one called Head Hunters too that would make me nervous. :lol:

Anje
June 30th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Isn't "Curl up and Dye" the name of the salon in Grease?

brickworld13
June 30th, 2015, 11:17 AM
I've been doing a lot of digging, and I don't think it's a chain store. Just a really popular name for salons that nobody has bothered to elevate to protected status. Which means, you absolutely need to report them to the BBB, the police, and the cosmetology licensing board of your state. You can help prevent other future customers from experiencing this kind of treatment.

Theophany
June 30th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Was it curl up & dye in Tyler tx?

lll_Alice_lll
June 30th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Was it curl up & dye in Tyler tx?

No it was in Jacksonville fl on sunbeam rd ^^

Clarkie
June 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Add me to the list of people who think you should absolutely document everything that was done to you and demand to speak to the manager. Perhaps you could take an older friend or family member if you are concerned that you won't be taken seriously because of your age?
Hope your scalp feels better soon and you can heal from this horrible experience. ((((Hugs))))

Lauraes
June 30th, 2015, 05:29 PM
I'm sorry you had this happen. :( It sounds horrible.

She also treated me this way, i assume, because i look like a child and she thought she could get away with it. (People who look like children never get treated right… except on halloween lol) I'm 18 but have been told i look anywhere from a tall 10 year old to a 14 year old… No one should treat someone like that though, just because they can get away with it!

I know exactly how you feel when you say this, as someone who also looks very young and is quite short.