PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum walk with me...(A vacuum story.)

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Step One: Flip over the vacuum. Scream in horror.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/1-3.jpg

Step Two: Vanquish the wily hairs!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/2-3.jpg

Step Three: Meet thy foe!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/workbucket007/3-3.jpg

I think we've all been there.
I am victorious.

:luke:

This time....

AJoifulNoise
March 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Yep! Mine looks almost that bad. I clean it out everytime I sweep my room. Otherwise I get yelled at. :o

embee
March 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Arrgh. What are you doing at my house taking pictures of my vacuum?????? Who let you in?

;)

MoonCreature
March 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
...that reminded me of one thing I must do but that I dread, clean the wheels of my office-chair shudder: . It hasn't been done for about a year and combining the hair from me + our four cats it's nasty!

Kittee
March 20th, 2008, 04:58 PM
:lol:

How am I not bald by now? As much hair as I get out of my comb, my brush, the vacuum etc....

:cheese:

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I don't check mine. Fortunately we have a vacuum hose so that sucks up a bunch of it.

theindecisiveon
March 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Ha ha ha, that really made me laugh. I love the captions to the photos. :)

BlndeInDisguise
March 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
That looks just like our vacuum--or it looks like the hair anyway! ;) Mom does the cleaning out, thankfully. It's bad enough that I have to clean the hair out of our drain. If I waited until my sister did it, the bathtub would end up overflowing when I took a shower. :D

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yeah, this is pretty much what goes on at my house, too!

spidermom
March 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Hey that's good! Mine was so much worse the last time I flipped it over. It looked like the roller brush was made out of hair. I used a box cutter to get it off.

But I didn't think of pictures and wonderful captions. Well done! I enjoyed that.

Xanthippe
March 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Oh man, that reminds me of the vacuum used by my first roommate (a longhair at the time) and me - we never thought to clean the vacuum for an entire semester. Then it just stopped working and started smelling really awful. I finally thought to flip it over and found enough hair to make a small kitten. You could not see the roller or bristles at all.

doodlesmart
March 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Xanthippe, I had the exact same experience with my long-haired roommate. Eeeeu burning hair smell. Took us days to get the smell out completely.

Kirin
March 20th, 2008, 06:05 PM
hahaha OMG i think i love you, the action shot is great!

Anje
March 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Ewww... Looks like my old vacuum (it's heading to the curb... bought a refurb Dyson last week).

Incidentally, seam rippers work great at getting the hair monsters of the beater bar. Before I picked up that tip (where else but LHC? :cheese:), I was always dulling my pocket knife trying to cut it all.

Starr
March 20th, 2008, 06:37 PM
That's hilarious!:D:cheese:

lynnala
March 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I consider vacuum cleaners to be dangerous power tools, only to be handled by professionals.

MadPirateBippy
March 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Haha, I just decided I am going to need a new vaccume every 6 to 8 months.

Amen, sister. I understand. And I, too, have no idea how I'm not bald.

Xandergrammy
March 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
:rollin: Those pictures brought back fond memories of my very first job in the 70's. Part of my job was to vacuum every day before closing and every day I had to sit on the floor with a seam ripper to cut my hairs out of the roller!

kissedbyfyre
March 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Oooh yes, the hair mess on vacuumes. Try living with a fellow long hair!! Just times that by two. When we went a month or so without a vacuum it was disgusting, to say the least. I honestly think we broke the brand new vacuum with one use.....

Pixel Gypsy
March 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
LOL! I have an Alaskan Malamute, so even with fairly short hair my poor vacuum still takes an awful beating and gets clogged up constantly. I can imagine what it will be like once my hair gets to my goal length, and my daughter's gets longer as well! :eek:

jessie58
March 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yup I just did mine the other day and between myself and 3 daughters, there was a heckuva lot of hair trapped in there. Suddenly the vacuum rolls along nicely though.

sweetkandi
March 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
lol, this was too funny! Eeewww, about a month ago, I cleaned our bathroom sink drain. So much hair. It was NASTY!

lil_irish_angel
March 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I think we all know that story about the drain.

Our Vaccum does fairly well being Im the long hair , one short hair dog , one short hair cat and one very long hair'd cat. I think I have to clean it about one every two weeks cause my blonde hair is so strong I actually have to take the bottom apart and then take the bearings out and then back tgether..Gotta love those Kenmore's..LOL

CurlyOne
March 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Ohh wow! I don't even want to look at mine, maybe it' not so bad since my hair is dark.

helanek
March 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM
btw i need a good vacuum... any ideas?

LifeisAdventure
March 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM
HI-freaking-LARIOUS!! I could not stop laughing as I read down your story boards. PRICELESS. Thanks for the laugh. :)

Lisa-Maria
March 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Oh no, now I remeber that I have to clean out the batchtub drain... hmm I wonder where this sudden urge too rock back and forth came from..

aisling
March 21st, 2008, 02:24 AM

Yeah, buy an European style one without those things hair get caught in. Those pictures makes me really happy mine has less moving parts where hair can get stuck.

winter
March 21st, 2008, 03:10 AM
You must have very different vacuums, ours in Sweden look nothing like that, thankfully :) No risk of them breaking from vaccuming up hairs, nothing to get caught on, but now I understand all those "My hair is breaking my vacuum"-threads. I like my vacuum :)

Kittee
March 21st, 2008, 06:38 AM

That one in the shots is my new vacuum that I picked up a few months ago. It is a http://www.nextag.com/Bissell-UPRIGHT-VAC-THE-560316513/prices-html?nxtg=99dd0a1c0530-0F9E74D72CF95402

It has been working very well for me. As you can see from the photo's, I DO have to clean the roller after every vacuuming.

I'm curious what those Euro vac's are? Anyone have a picture? Might pick one up for my next one.

(Off topic...I bought a euro washing machine and dryer that I adore. Can't wait to have my own house to put them under the counter!):p

Schnee
March 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
I'm curious what those Euro vac's are? Anyone have a picture? Might pick one up for my next one.

I have this Miele vac and it's now 5 years old and still going strong. Don't have any problems with hairs getting caught, but it doesn't have a roller brush either. :)

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Miele_S716_PET__6338288#productdetail

nastasska
March 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
Ha ha ha, that really made me laugh. I love the captions to the photos. :)

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

atlantaz3
March 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM
[quote=spidermom;24160]Hey that's good! Mine was so much worse the last time I flipped it over. It looked like the roller brush was made out of hair. I used a box cutter to get it off.

So did mine - unfortunately for me if was the DH who flipped the vacuum over. He cut with scissors it was about a 1/4 thick worth of hair. Why am I not bald - then he told me he does it about once a month! I had no clue.:confused:

MemSahib
March 21st, 2008, 08:15 AM
Oh, that's not as bad as mine usually looks once I finally remember to clean it. You would think I can't remember that I'm a longhair, LOL! I have let the roller practically bind up before I think, "Oh yeah, I should clean that."

rhondalicious
March 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
My poor vacuum has given up - after 3 years of fighting my hair, it now barely picks up anything! The floor on my side of the bed still has hair on it even after a good vacuuming!

Would a cannister style vacuum not have this problem? We're looking for a new vac anyways...

Kittee
March 21st, 2008, 08:41 AM
I have this Miele vac and it's now 5 years old and still going strong. Don't have any problems with hairs getting caught, but it doesn't have a roller brush either. :)

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Miele_S716_PET__6338288#productdetail
Thanks for that!

rchorr
March 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
I usually go for the box cutter, instead of the screwdriver. It's quicker! LOL!

RCHORR'

amz1998
March 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yup, that could be my vacuum too! I flipped mine over this weekend and thought I was seeing things. Once I had all the hair cut off, I brought it in to my hubby and asked him if he wanted a toupee. I also can't help but wonder why I am not bald between all that and what comes out of my brush every day. Hair is truly amazing.

Celtic Queen
March 21st, 2008, 11:07 AM
Been there, seen that... I de-hair my own Oscar (my roomba's personal name ;=) ) litteraly every time I run it, now!

WritingMum
March 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Are you sure this wasn't a picture of our vacuum?? Your captions are so funny! :D A seam ripper works really well for this, job too. :) But the cheese knife does not. :wink:

lora410
March 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM
Im honestly afraid to clean my vaccum, drains, etc. Loved how you made it into an action shot story.

helanek
March 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM
thanks for the links i will check them! :)

tiny_teesha
March 25th, 2008, 03:33 AM
this is the best thread in the world! :)
hehehe

CountessDeJager
March 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM

When this came up recently on the Mens Long Hair Hyperboard a friend offered- "I hereby heartily endorse THE CRAFTSMAN! Since there're so many longhairs is my family, plus two dawgiez, we thought that we'd blow the extra cash. It looks like an industrial strength mini-oil can, highly durable acrylic or plastic in make-up, with an accordionated fire hose lookin' vacuum hose." He also mentioned Price Grabber (http://PriceGrabber.com) rather than in store prices. Made me want one like he has since I don't like cleaning the beater brush either.

Kittee, you did start this thread to advertise your vacuum cleaning services, didn't you? :p Do you make cross country housecalls? :pray:

Stagecoach
March 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM
hahaha, I've taken to combing my floor around my dresser before I vacume... that seems to help a bit.

Juli414
April 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I got myself into a couple of weird habits. The first is to do my combing and brushing outside, the second is to use a OneSweep on the carpet before vacuuming. I also brush my hair before my shower, to get rid of most of the strays. And I still get the clogged drain and wrapped beater bar.

To those who asked about canister vacs, as long as there is no rotating beater bar on the head, you'll be fine. But any more, it's hard to find any vacuum that doesn't have the beater bar, except for shop vacs.

capelli lunghi
April 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This was hilarious!!! LOL!

I have not had experience with this in a very long time, thankfully.. We have either hardwood or tile so no vacuums!.. I love it!

rockstarmommy
April 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
qwertyuiosdfghjkl

savi
April 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Ah, great... Some times I notice these strange "dustballs" on our hallway carpet. While wondering how come we have dustballs on our hallway I go to pick them up and notice that they're actually balls of my hair. Lovely.

I should have known since they miracously appear around the spot where I normally comb my hair.

seabear
April 10th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Bwahahahaha! Kittee, that cracked me up!

1nuitblanche
April 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ha! That totally happens to me too!! And I'm always glad that I know who's hair it is so that I don't feel like I'm removing some strange creature from the bowels of the vacuum cleaner.

Isilya
April 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM
We had a vacuum with a brush nozzle (or whatever you call it) for 1 week. 1 little week. Then we flipped it over and it looked even worse than Kittee's did. You could barely see the black brush base :eek:. It took a sharp knife, a pair of scissors and a lot of patience to get that thing hairless again. We switched back to a non-brush piece after that :shrug:.

Bucatini
April 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM
THANK YOU! This made me smile today. We should have a poll or competition for the largest tumbleweed.

ladystar
April 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I usually just broom. :p

happylynngilmer
April 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
With two longhairs and 2 furkids, we have to clean out the hairs in the vacuum after EACH time we vacuum. We just bought a new one in Novemeber last year, and we already broke the roll in it. New part on the way LOL

Anje
April 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
When this came up recently on the Mens Long Hair Hyperboard a friend offered- "I hereby heartily endorse THE CRAFTSMAN!

Ah, wet/dry vacuums... My parents just recommended getting one this last weekend. They've started using theirs and just water to clean all kinds of messes out of the carpet. (Example: dog on prednisone, locked in the house all day = big wet spot on carpet!) They claimed sucking the fluids up, pouring on a bit of water and sucking up the fluids again repeatedly worked better than carpet cleaners did.

If you use a vacuum without a beater bar, does it effectively clean carpets with a normal pile depth? I can see it being effective on a really short carpet or berber, but what about the standard ~1/2" thick plush carpet you find all over the US?

Riselda
January 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Oh, goodness. This happens every time I vacuum. My bf and I have such long hair.

Blueglass
January 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM
At one point I googled to see if their are any vacuum designed by
Sikhs. I could not find any.

Milui Elenath
January 14th, 2012, 12:28 AM
snip
Incidentally, seam rippers work great at getting the hair monsters of the beater bar. Before I picked up that tip (where else but LHC? :cheese:), I was always dulling my pocket knife trying to cut it all.

Absolutely second the seam ripper except here they are called quick unpicks.

Also I now vacuum with the standard attachment first and then use my powerhead. It's not really twice as much work since I probably spend less time vacuuming twice as I did removing the hair! :)

the.fee.fairy
January 14th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I'd recommend Dyson's The Animal (I think that's what it's called). It's designed to pick up animal hair and is a lot more forgiving!

I have to put a rubber glove on and brush my carpet before vacuuming, it gets so much hair off first. The one time i vacuumed my own room at home, i broke my mother's cleaner, and she told me that she would do the job in the future...

vatikagirl
January 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Loved the comments you made on each snap. Still laughing hard.

jeanniet
January 14th, 2012, 03:10 AM
The roller on my vacuum routinely has way more hair on it than in the OP's pic. I have a Sebo upright (which is German made), and it has a warning light that tells me when the roller needs to be checked, thankfully.

kaiakai
January 14th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I stumbled on this blog post yesterday. Not exactly hair related, but it is vacuum related. Maybe there is a solution here for us? Heheh. I have to share..

http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/12/luuuuuucccyyyyy/

ArienEllariel
January 14th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Oh man, that reminds me of the vacuum used by my first roommate (a longhair at the time) and me - we never thought to clean the vacuum for an entire semester. Then it just stopped working and started smelling really awful. I finally thought to flip it over and found enough hair to make a small kitten. You could not see the roller or bristles at all.

:spitting: Oh gosh, I just had to stifle my laughter as no one else is awake yet at my house. Too funny but I can say that I do feel your pain. Our vacuum looks pretty bad right now I'd say. Haven't checked it in a while.

Amber_Maiden
January 14th, 2012, 07:43 AM
LOL. I've killed vacuums... One started smoking and caught fire inside once... Too much hair :p

jacqueline101
January 14th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Mine was so bad it had to be cut off and that took an hour.

einna
January 14th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Hahaha, this is good fun! :D I would love to see pics from people who claim to have it even worse! Anyone up to the challenge? ;)
My DBF usually vacums our home, it is my second least favorite chore (the first is cleaning the toilet and shower, but we alternate on that, lol), but I dont think my hair is beeing troublesome just yet. I have noticed an increase in stray hairs lately though, so maybe soon... :couch:

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I have broadloom. I sometimes can see the hair (I do not lose too much). However, I will slide my foot along in certain areas (it pushes the hair along with it) and behold, hair balls, lol. I do that before vacuuming and pick them up with a wet paper towel. It saves the vacuum and when I do clean the roller there is not too much hair.

einna
January 14th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I stumbled on this blog post yesterday. Not exactly hair related, but it is vacuum related. Maybe there is a solution here for us? Heheh. I have to share..

http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/12/luuuuuucccyyyyy/

That blog post was so funny and well written. I think I just found a new blog to read! Thanks. :)

Kizuna
January 14th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Wow.... I think I need to check my vacuum cleaner! Maybe that's the reason to why is't behaving strange, haha.

ktani
January 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Great blog!!!!!!!!

ETA: I have sometimes felt the same way about vacuuming, lol.