PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle advice for a prison visit?

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Tomorrow I'll be going to visit my boyfriend in prison. This is going to be the first time he's seen me in almost 2 years. The last time he saw me my hair was only at my collar bone, now I'm at BSL.

He LOVES long hair and he's really excited that I'm growing it out, but I kinda want to be sassy and hide it from him so he doesn't know just how long it is until he gets out a little over a year from now. The only problem is since I'm visiting him in prison my options are limited. Normally I would just throw it up with a stick and it's hidden, but I can't wear a stick and I can't wear a fork. I can't even wear a bobby pin so I'm thinking spin pins are out too. I won't even be allowed any headwear...basically I can wear a pony tail and that's it. I'm terrible at making buns with elastics and I hate how they look on me too, very not cute. My bun looks like a ping pong ball.

How would you go about doing this? I want to look cute, hide or conceal most of the length, while following all the rules of the prison.
Thank you!

FoxyGhost
June 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Maybe try something like hair taping or 'sewing' a braided bun to your head.

Arctic
June 26th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Tight curls? Sockbun with scrunchie around it? Braid that is looped back up and tied with a ribbon (so the braid forms a loop)?

Have a lovely day tomowrrow!

Islandgrrl
June 26th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Maybe you could do a single french braid down the back and tuck the length up underneath.

elsieivy
June 26th, 2015, 01:50 PM
If you put it in a tight french braid that should keep it fairly contained and also hide some of the length. You could also try tucking the end of the braid up. I'm not sure if it would stay without pins but you could give it a try. Have a nice visit!

fiabia
June 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Head band tuck? Link (http://www.bobbyglam.com/blog/2013/02/head-band-updo-hair-tutorial/)

lapushka
June 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM
A side braid? Can be quite elegant with a nice dress, or even jeans!

battles
June 26th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Maybe you could do a single french braid down the back and tuck the length up underneath.

I agree with this. :) A tucked french braid would hide your length, and you'd only need one elastic.

Cattiva
June 26th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't deprive him of something he absolutely loves, give him a treat along with seeing your beautiful self! Especially considering he has another year which will add even more length to your hair. Good luck and have fun!

cherrybird
June 26th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Tight curls? Sockbun with scrunchie around it? Braid that is looped back up and tied with a ribbon (so the braid forms a loop)?

(...)

I vote for sock bun! You could also keep it really simple and do a looped ponytail (half pulled through).

Have a good visit!

Aderyn
June 26th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Maybe try a Hawser braid (two rope braids rope braided together), that will eat up a lot of length.

Puffer Fish
June 26th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't deprive him of something he absolutely loves, give him a treat along with seeing your beautiful self! Especially considering he has another year which will add even more length to your hair. Good luck and have fun!

I vote for this too! Most people with short hair have NO idea how fast hair grows. He'll still be equally amazed next year when your hair is even longer.

I hope everything goes well! :D

Alien Girl
June 26th, 2015, 05:09 PM
I vote for this too! Most people with short hair have NO idea how fast hair grows. He'll still be equally amazed next year when your hair is even longer.

I hope everything goes well! :D

Agree!! Good luck!

woodswanderer
June 26th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I wouldn't do any hairstyle I would be upset about taking down for inspection. I've heard of airlines taking down braids and buns for inspection, so I wouldn't be shocked if that happened for prison.

sumidha
June 26th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I'd probably go with a tight french braid, or some other kind of braid, and avoid buns entirely. It would suck to spend a lot of time doing a fancy hairstyle only to have to take it down cause someone thinks you're trying to smuggle something in your hair.

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I wouldn't do any hairstyle I would be upset about taking down for inspection. I've heard of airlines taking down braids and buns for inspection, so I wouldn't be shocked if that happened for prison.

Thank you! I think I decided to do just a pony tail...I need to have it up and out of my face for the ride there (my mom smokes so I will have the window rolled down and it's an hour and half drive, I do not want to be eating my hair and then arrive looking like a lost homeless woman LOL) I also would be irritated if I spent time doing hair taping and had to take it down, and I can't get a tucked french braid to stay withought at least two pins. The comments about just leaving it down for him to enjoy got to me! I'm going to sleep in some big rollers tonight so I have a loosely curled pony tail tomorrow. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow morning before I leave!:)

I am SO BEYOND EXCITED!

Lady Mary
June 26th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Could you do a bun with a scrunchie? Then, let it down in a bun drop for him :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 26th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Enjoy your visit - and we all want pics of your hairdo!:)

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2015, 08:30 PM
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/150626-195135_zpszctrtz3z.jpg

Puling a dork face with a bee hive of rollers under my bonnet that I hate and ripped off already lol

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Sorry it's so big! I tried resizing it but photobucket is being mean!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 26th, 2015, 08:38 PM
;) ;) ;) ;)

mz_butterfly
June 26th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Believe me, the last thing a man in prison has on his mind is his ladys' hairstyle! :D

Maybe you could curl it under with some hair friendly curlers and use some setting lotion or gel to make it appear shorter?

Either way, he isn't going to be fretting about your hair and neither should you. Have a good visit and just take the day for what it is. A lovely visit with your sweetie. :)

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 04:27 AM
You look totally sweet in that bonnet! Hope your curls set nicely.
And yes, have a good visit! :)

Chromis
June 27th, 2015, 04:50 AM
Eeeeh, you look so adorkable in that shot, Nadine! :hifive:

DweamGoiL
June 27th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Love that, adorkable...too cute! Enjoy your visit today.

EdG
June 27th, 2015, 08:11 AM
The title of this thread made me think "Now would be the wrong time to show off one's hairtoy weaponry". :luke: :lol:

Sorry about that. :o

Have a great visit! :)
Ed

Nadine <3
June 27th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Aww thank you guys! We're leaving in about 20 minutes and I'm very excited but NERVOUS!! Ahhh!! I haven't seen him in such a long time and I haven't ever been to a prison... Eeep!

Anyways, here's how my curly pony tail come out! It's so bouncy, I haven't worn a pony in a very long time. I kinda miss them so this is nice! :)
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/45441448-d7bd-4b07-8630-2d886c5ec999_zpsxwszqgdh.jpg

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Oh that is *so* pretty, Nadine! :)

Merlin
June 27th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Oh that is *so* pretty, Nadine! :)

What she said ��

Lady Mary
June 27th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Aw, how pretty! Good choice :) Have a great visit, best of luck!

Cattiva
June 27th, 2015, 10:57 AM
That's very pretty and flirty! Great choice!

Johannah
June 27th, 2015, 11:00 AM
That's so pretty!!

Arctic
June 27th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I love your hair style, very well chosen! :thumbsup:

Bindi
June 27th, 2015, 01:37 PM
It looks awesome!:puppy:

elsieivy
June 27th, 2015, 01:39 PM
That's so pretty! Have a great visit!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 27th, 2015, 01:41 PM
That's just awesome - so pretty! He is going to love it!

Nadine <3
June 27th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Oh goodness thank you! :) I just got home and I'm so happy I feel like I'm flying LOL I had a wonderful visit, it was so nice to see him instead of over the phone or a letter. My hair, even though I put some gel and a bit of hairspray on the curls they deflated before I even left the house. Oh well, he still loved it and he gaped at how long it's gotten. He adores it and can't wait to comb and braid it for me. :crush:

Cattiva
June 27th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Yay! So happy for you.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 27th, 2015, 06:32 PM
That's wonderful! :)

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Gaping is good. ;) I'm glad your visit went well, Nadine!

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I'm so happy for you that he loved your hair (I knew he would) and that you had a nice day. I weep easily so I've lost some tears reading this thread. I can imagine how much he'll enjoy braiding your hair and it's so wonderful that he appreciates its length. I'm SO happy for you.
I'm sorry. I'm so stupidly romantic :)

Wusel
June 28th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I'm so happy for you that he loved your hair (I knew he would) and that you had a nice day. I weep easily so I've lost some tears reading this thread. I can imagine how much he'll enjoy braiding your hair and it's so wonderful that he appreciates its length. I'm SO happy for you.
:)

Nadine <3
June 28th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Yay! So happy for you.

That's wonderful! :)

Gaping is good. ;) I'm glad your visit went well, Nadine!

:)

Thank you everyone! Wusel, I'm stupidly romantic too...I imagine we looked a bit like a movie. He had no idea I was coming, so he was actually searching the room for his mom because he assumed it was her. I saw him right away and hugged him so hard I almost knocked him on the floor LOL I'm almost embarrassed to say we sat a crossed from each other for two hours, holding hands and playing footsy under the table haha...I can't wait until he gets out, I miss him to much!

winship2
June 28th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Oh, great pony tail, and yes, adorable picture of you in the bonnet! I'm so glad you had a good visit. I'll bet you cheered each other up enormously. Thanks for letting us know how it went :)

yahirwaO.o
June 28th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Pretty pony Nadine, its kinda nice he took your visit so well!!! :cool: