PDA

View Full Version : Brooke Shields: How do I love thee?

ole gray mare
October 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I saw a magazine at the store today. Called "In Style Makeover". Usually anything with the word "makeover" in it is something I would avoid! However, this one had a picture of Brooke Shields on the cover, with her gorgeous long hair flowing, with the caption: "Finding My Style" In the photos, her hair looks to be between bsl and waist.

I've always liked Brooke Shields. She is nearly my age and has been consistently beautiful, consistently elegant and consistently longhaired for many years. So of course, I had to buy it.

I was so tickled to read this part of the interview:

In Style Makeover: Long hair is your signature -- would you ever consider cutting it?

BS: I'd consider cutting it for charity, but I can look like a soccer mom so easily. I'd either have to go for a bob or something cropped. But since my head is smaller in proportion to the rest of my body, I'd look a little pinheady. Plus it would be so much harder for me to take care of my hair -- I'd need much more maintenance. I just feel sexier with it long -- I think I'll keep it this way until I become too old for it.

In Style: How do you keep your hair looking so great?

BS: I get my hair blown out, and I make it last for five days. I shower, but I don't wash my hair. And if I'm going on the third for fourth day and feeling a little stinky, I use some dry shampoo at the roots. I've noticed that the dirtier my hair is, the better it looks.

Well, it just confirms why I've always loved this woman: she is a true long-hair and is not concerned with being trendy! The rest of the interview confirms her comfort with her own style and says that she regrets it whenever she tries too hard. LOL.

1nuitblanche
October 4th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Nice! What she said is really fair. (And I agree, at least for putting my hair up, it looks way better "dirty".)

Rini
October 4th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I just feel sexier with it long -- I think I'll keep it this way until I become too old for it.

Oh no!!! When will that be??

She really is a beautiful woman. Didn't she look stunning at the awards ceremony recently (I forget what it was called...Emmys?) in that bright fuschia dress? :inlove:

angelthadiva
October 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM
She has long been a hair idol for me...Ever since she was in Blue Lagoon. Now all the stars will be gasping that she only washes her hair every 5 days! :lol:

ole gray mare
October 4th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Oh no!!! When will that be??

She really is a beautiful woman. Didn't she look stunning at the awards ceremony recently (I forget what it was called...Emmys?) in that bright fuschia dress? :inlove:

Oh, I think that was her nice way of saying "step off, I'm not cutting my hair and mind your own business" But she was more diplomatic about it. That's my take on it, anyway, but mayhaps I read into these things too much. ;)

manderly
October 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM
She has long been a hair idol for me...Ever since she was in Blue Lagoon. Now all the stars will be gasping that she only washes her hair every 5 days! :lol:

I remember thinking when I was little how much I wanted long hair to cover my boobies like hers in Blue Lagoon.

angelthadiva
October 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I remember thinking when I was little how much I wanted long hair to cover my boobies like hers in Blue Lagoon.

Ohmigawd, me too! :spitting:

jessie58
October 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I think she was also pointing out that she didn't consider herself too old for long hair either.

Yes I can imagine people thinking that now BS is gross because she only washes her hair once a week.
I should think that they would come to the conclusion that whatever she is doing for that gorgeous head of hair is the right thing for hair.

Starr
October 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Good for her for not falling to the pressures of Hollywood and instead doing what she finds works best for her, her hair, and her life. She gets cheese for that!:cheese:

30isthenewblack
October 5th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Ms Shields has always been a natural beauty and someone who is prepared to stand up and be herself surrounded by fakes, try hards, has beens and never was!

Silver Strands
October 5th, 2008, 09:21 AM
A bigwig in hollywood saying she only washes her hair every 5 days!

I love that!
Good for her.

Now I can strive to be more like Brooke and stretch-out those washings!

Sofoulee
October 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm on Team Brooke. :)

paper
October 5th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Love her. She has aged so beautiful and natural. And, her hair is gorgeous! :crush:

sherigayle
October 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I've always liked her. She is beautiful and actually looks her age, not like some of the stars who are botoxed to the hilt. I love hearing her talk about her kids too. She seems like such a great mom.

lapushka
October 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think there are women who age "naturally" in Hollywood. I think they have all these services and people catering to them. Some might not go in for a "full" beauty treatment, but still, YKWIM? They have the *power* to age gracefully and (ahem) "naturally".

I really don't believe anything/anybody is really still natural in Hollywood.

mellie
October 5th, 2008, 10:04 AM
That's so cool!! I love that she mentions dry shampoo! I tried to tell my family about it and they were horrified at the idea...

darkwaves
October 5th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I think I'll keep it this way until I become too old for it. Hmm... This comment puts me off Team Brooke.

I see some people guessing what she means here, but what she actually says seems clear enough: At some point, women become too old for long hair.

Carolyn
October 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Maybe she means too old to care for it? I dunno. I find her very refreshing. I loved what she said about shorter hair being harder to care for.

jessie58
October 5th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hmm... This comment puts me off Team Brooke.

I see some people guessing what she means here, but what she actually says seems clear enough: At some point, women become too old for long hair.

I really think she meant that she would never be too old for it. When she deems that she is too old. That might never occur. She had a recent article saying that she was getting younger all the time. I think she was saying look I'm 40 and I'm still WAY young.

ole gray mare
October 5th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I honestly think that was her polite way of saying that she's bucking the standard of "too old" for long hair...she will decide when she's too old instead of letting our culture decide it for her. That is true for any of us. We can decide if we are not comfortable with our hair length at any given age.

But without knowing the inflection of her voice when she said it, a reader could interpret this any number of ways.

I only put in the parts about hair. But the whole interview seemed quite refreshing and honest. She doesn't strike me as someone who makes big, bold statements. She just tells it like it is, and from what I have seen, she walks her walk.

Re: plastic surgery....

In Style Makeover: Yes or no to the knife?

BS: I'm more scared of the idea than excited by it. But I'm not against plastic surgery -- if I start looking like a shar-pei, I may change my mind. I mean, i just had two kids, and these (she motions to her chest) went from being muffin tops to envelopes! I did try one of those photofacials -- it erased all the marks and spots, but that was only after three days of peeling. So there were three days of my kids going, "Uhhh." I just want to look the best I can at my current age instead of trying to look like I did when I was 20. Right now, I'm OK with myself as I am.

So again, there was much more to this interview than just the hair, though of course it all had to do with looks, which is the point of the magazine. Plus she is a woman who has made a living by her looks, so these are trade questions.

EmpressRi
October 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Me too!!!! OMG I loved her in that movie, her hair was just beautiful.

Rosepatrice
October 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM
She has this eternal beauty. What I think Eve must have looked like!! She must take excellent care of herself.

Paniscus
October 5th, 2008, 12:27 PM
That is pretty awesome, especially about the no washing routine! Pretty cool, thanks for posting. And yeah, I've always liked Brooke.

Melisande
October 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
She's my age... well I wish I looked as good as she does....

Very nice to hear about the hair. She sounds like a very reasonable woman, and interesting, too.

Ponytale
October 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
She makes me think I should try going *longer* between washings...I mean if someone photographed at any moment can do it... Of course, I don't get my hair professionally blown out every week either. Either way, it is nice to see someone publicly say 1) long hair makes them feel sexy, 2) they would look like a soccer mom without it. I have always felt I would look 100% average (or perhaps 100% un-interesting) without my hair. Hmmm....do we really think Brooke would have this problem??

girlcat36
October 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think Brooke is a secret LHC member. :D

Curlsgirl
October 6th, 2008, 08:49 AM

That's how I took it. :rolleyes:

Maybe she means too old to care for it? I dunno. I find her very refreshing. I loved what she said about shorter hair being harder to care for.

I hope so though!!! :D

Eireann
October 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I have always loved her! She's one month older than I am, so I've been keeping track of her style pretty much my whole life. I have dark eye-brows, and I remember back in the 70s when everyone else was tweezing within an inch of their lives, she let hers go beautifully natural. I will always thank her for that!!