PDA

View Full Version : Inverted Nautilus!

lapushka
June 26th, 2015, 05:11 AM
Inverted Nautilus (!) on TBL to classic length hair!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4HV5KRxVEQ

This is one of Torrin's vids, and I thought, man this bun is so classical and ballerina-esque looking, esp. the nape. Gorgeous. Just had to share! :)

ravenheather
June 26th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Really pretty. I will try this one.

Aderyn
June 26th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Such a pretty and simple variation! I will also have to try this out. :)

missrandie
June 26th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I like that! I'll have to tuck it in my "someday" file.

meteor
June 26th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Oh, that's pretty cool, thanks a lot for sharing that video! :flowers:

I hope I'll be able to do this someday... Reminds me a little bit of a flipped cinnabun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up3ftEV45_c) because of the look and the flipping upwards motion. :)

Seventy7
June 26th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I saw it this morning and have been wearing a flipped lwb with a stick all day. I don't know how it held on, but it did and it was really comfortable. I should wear buns that high up more often.

How many buns would be flipable?

lapushka
June 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Good question! The Nautilus is, the cinnabun is, and you just said the LWB is, and I'm willing to bet it doesn't end there. :D

meteor
I saw it this morning and have been wearing a flipped lwb with a stick all day. I don't know how it held on, but it did and it was really comfortable. I should wear buns that high up more often.

I know cinnabun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up3ftEV45_c)is, for example, and I would expect most buns with a clear "stem", like L-infinity or Spidermom's bun should be flippable too, maybe? :hmm:

Seventy7, how do you flip your LWB keeping entry points for the stick/fork in place? :) Do you do your LWB with a thumb sticking out or just over the hand?

SnowbirdRose
I'm like missrandie, "someday". It is a very pretty style.

hannabiss
June 26th, 2015, 03:29 PM
I seen this also. Love torrin! Reminded me why I want to reach classic.I thought the bun looked so classy and elegant. Let's hope this thin hair can make it to classic.

Seventy7
June 26th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Seventy7, how do you flip your LWB keeping entry points for the stick/fork in place? :) Do you do your LWB with a thumb sticking out or just over the hand?

Well.. I wrap around two fingers for a lwb. And my thumb is not used yet.. This eats up enough length for me and fits around the base.
Basically I positioned the wrap like Torrin did, around the base, and then held the sides of the wrap in each hand and flipped it, taking the base with it.
A lwb is pretty close to a nautilus, except for the twist at the start, or am I mistaken with some other bun?
So.. I basically did what Torrin did, I think.

meteor
June 26th, 2015, 03:47 PM
^ Thank you, Seventy7! :flowers: I'll need to try it! :D

Remi
June 26th, 2015, 08:29 PM
It does look cool. Have any of you tried it? How did it turn out?

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 05:27 AM
Can't say I tried it, but I'm making a mental note of it, that's for sure. I still can't do a Nautilus at "almost" (half inch off) classic.

meteor
June 27th, 2015, 08:36 AM
It does look cool. Have any of you tried it? How did it turn out?

Haven't tried it with a nautilus (still can't do it reliably), but I've just tried it with my braided LWB and I'm having the same problem that always happens when I pin a bun far from its stem (point of origin) - hair doesn't stay put as securely, so it really pulls on scalp hair on the crown that I'm using to pin the flipped bun up. Maybe there are some tips and tricks for this? :) I'd love to get this right, because I love the look of this style! :crush:

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 08:58 AM
meteor, maybe make a looser bun next time, so you'll have room to flip it up? That way it won't pull. Not a whole lot looser, maybe just in the way you hold your hands while doing the bun.

Marika
June 27th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I've been wearing this ever since I saw Torrin's video! :D Sometimes the simplest things are the best. But I find this bun to be really secure only with a Flexi8. It's not that stable with a fork (haven't tried a stick) but then again, my hair is very slippery. A flipped cinnabun (w/Ficcare) is one of my favourite styles because it looks kinda chic too.

meteor
June 27th, 2015, 09:15 AM
^ Thank you, lapushka! :) Yes, I guess I'll keep trying with different tensions. The inverted nautilus and flipped cinnabun videos make it look really sturdy and comfy. :love:

I did make it loose enough at the stem to flip the bun up, but the pinning to the scalp hair at the top of the crown rather than to the stem (where hair is wrapped so easy to pin to) is what makes it uncomfortable...
But I don't have a flexi-8 (I'm using a stick), and torrinpaige is using a flexi - maybe flexis hold better? :hmm: Some tools seem to work for some styles better than others...

meteor
June 27th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I've been wearing this ever since I saw Torrin's video! :D Sometimes the simplest things are the best. But I find this bun to be really secure only with a Flexi8. It's not that stable with a fork (haven't tried a stick) but then again, my hair is very slippery. A flipped cinnabun (w/Ficcare) is one of my favourite styles because it looks kinda chic too.

A-ha! Thanks a lot for this. I did suspect that this style requires more "caging" so to speak. And a simple stick doesn't provide it. Good to know! :D

woolyleprechaun
June 27th, 2015, 09:45 AM
Just tried it, and felt very elegant! I have to tuck my ends in slightly different to keep it neat (or as neat as I ever manage), but its wonderful and simple... I love flipped buns; they feel like buy-one-get-one-free...

meteor
June 27th, 2015, 04:38 PM
^ Congratulations, everybody who managed this style! :joy: That's awesome! :applause

So for those of us who don't have Flexi-8s or Ficcares, are there any other tools or combinations of tools that can hold this in place? :) For example, do claw-clips work? The structure looks a bit too large for claw-clips or U-pins to me, but sticks/forks lack the grip for a flipped structure... :hmm:

Lady Katherine
June 27th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Ohh it looks so pretty and I love trying out new styles! Thanks for sharing!

meteor
June 27th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Since up-thread some folks mentioned they they can't do a nautilus yet, here is a tutorial for visual learners that shows how to do something like that with a lazy wrap bun. :)

It's called a "maki bun" (by Emi LongHairedatheart):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAXcZGEw8ks
And Linguaphilia did a really cool-looking variation on this, as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmNqAhE6Cao

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Ooh, thanks for those links, meteor! You're a regular bun-library! :lol:

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 10:02 AM
^ :lol: LOL, he-he, thanks, lapushka! :D You are our hairstyles & hair methods-library, too! :applause

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 11:34 AM
See now you're making me blush. :lol: :o