PDA

View Full Version : Considering going short ... looking for advice

David W
June 25th, 2015, 11:57 PM
I'm new, name is Dave. I'm a 28 year old guy just finishing grad school. I've read a few articles for haircare tips on here before and thought maybe I could get some decent advice or at the least ramble a bit and maybe work it out better for myself. I've had long hair for the better part of 10 years and for the last couple months have been considering going short, but I have been hesitant to actually pull the trigger.

I started growing my senior year of high school mostly as an apathetic, too lazy to get a haircut type thing, and then decided to just keep going when I got to college. I've never really had any goals as far as my hair is concerned. It's been as long as waist length and I'vs cut it as short as shoulder length during that period, and I've gone through many different styling "phases", if you will, as well. Point being, my hair has always been changing to something different and I think I've grown used to that. Now for the past 2 years or so I've been settled into my current routine which probably amounts to standard longhaired guy stuff: mostly ponytails, occasionally down or in a bun to get it out of the way. I keep it mid back type length. I think though that the idea I've been there, done that with long hair and that I haven't had short hair for 10 years and can't really remember wha tit is like to have short hair makes cutting alluring.

Problem is when I give serious thought to the cut I worry that I'll regret it and growing it out, while I certainly could, is time consuming and a pain that I would like to avoid if I can. I really do like my hair as is. I think it suits me and looks good, plus its good company when I'm bored at work. I suppose my desire to cut is probably really just the grass is greener or me just used to mixing things up and I should probably just keep it long as long as I like it. But I wondered if any of you had had similar experiences/thoughts and any advice for someone considering their options?

Any way thanks for reading and best of luck to all of you, there's a lot of awesome hair on here. Plus I figured I'd post a pic of my hair I snapped this afternoon, even though I'm not big on pictures.

http://s3.postimg.org/g55f0fcf7/hair.jpg

hinabelle
June 26th, 2015, 12:06 AM
:thud: Do what you need to, but I must say that your hair would be a shame to cut off... It's absolutely stunning. We won't be sad if you keep it long! :D

gthlvrmx
June 26th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Welcome! If I were you I'd keep the long hair. You have gorgeous hair! But honestly, do whatever makes you happy. If short hair makes you happy, go for it. Really consider the fact that cutting long hair to any style is easier than growing it out. If you ever want to grow it back out, it will take time to do that.

surruh
June 26th, 2015, 12:32 AM
That is a tough one..Have you regretted cuts in the past at all? Did you enjoy having short hair in the past?
What keeps me going is the fact that any time I have gone for a drastic cut... I always regret it. I've loved long hair basically my whole life.

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2015, 01:08 AM
Your hair thickness is amazing! I love it.

Do you think with it short it might be so thick as to be unruly or bushy at that length? Like how short were you thinking?
Good luck on your decision.

flickm
June 26th, 2015, 01:36 AM
If you're set on cutting, then i think shoulder length would look wonderful on you, kind of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, or like Brad Pitt or David Beckham used to wear it. with your beard and that wonderful bone structure (what i can see of it!) i think it would really suit you.

Just a word of caution: i had mine cut from mid back to shoulder to deal with damage and now regret it, so maybe cut a bit and see how you feel.

LadyLong
June 26th, 2015, 02:07 AM
David W., I agree with others who mentioned to maybe begin with just cutting a little off at a time and see how it goes from there. You have amazing thick hair, just look at the blue tie of the thick ponytail! Make sure you are able to continue to tie your hair after they cut it because it will give you more manageability.

Rapunzel_to_be
June 26th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Your hair is so beautiful!!! One of the members here told me about a 2 week rule, where you should wait 2 weeks before deciding if you are going to cut etc, and if you after those two weeks still want to do it, then you probably should. I don't know how long you've been considering a cut, but if it is not so long then maybe try the 2 week thing. I for sure would not cut my hair if I were you though :p But hair grows back out again so if you really want to then its not really that big of a deal to be honest! :)

Panth
June 26th, 2015, 02:53 AM
I agree with everyone else:
- not cutting it would be super - it looks fantastic! both thickness and quality but also the style seems to suit you, too
- if cutting it, go slow - try e.g. shoulder-length first rather than jumping straight to something super-short - it may be you want a change more than you want short hair per se
- because of your thickness (and do I see a bit of wave?), do be aware that many of the shorter lengths (particularly bob-like styles as sported by e.g. Viggo Mortensen) may well give you the "dreaded triangle head" - so, if aiming for a style like that, do try to find a few inspiration images of guys with similar hairtype to you
- if you really want a change, chop it! (unpopular opinion, yes, but ... hair grows - my main reservation would be that the growing out stage between clipper-cut and shoulder-length is particularly awkward and annoying for guys as society doesn't approve of men wearing any of the main coping methods - headbands, clips, etc.)

Oh, also, you may find browsing the Gentleman's Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732&page=20) inspirational.

jackie_brown
June 26th, 2015, 04:26 AM
:agape: your hair is wonderful!!
Thick, healthy, shiny!!
I don't recommend a shoulder length cut because you will end having a "triangle head" (lots of volume towards the ends and less volume on the roots).
Usually hairdressers use to remove volume from hair like yours using thinning shears or razors, but this will cause frizziness to your hair.
Go short if you are done with long hair, but if you need only a change and don't mind having multiple lenghts in your hair, what about an undercut?

amino
June 26th, 2015, 05:20 AM
That is beautiful hair! I wouldn't cut it, but of course it's your choice.

lapushka
June 26th, 2015, 06:27 AM
It's a nice ponytail, nice and thick, and I would stay the hell away from scissors, if I were you. Your hair is gorgeous!

David W
June 26th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Really consider the fact that cutting long hair to any style is easier than growing it out. If you ever want to grow it back out, it will take time to do that. Thanks and agreed. I guess I need to figure out if I'm going to want to grow it out again, especially if that were right away.

:thud: Do what you need to, but I must say that your hair would be a shame to cut off... It's absolutely stunning. We won't be sad if you keep it long! :D Thanks!

That is a tough one..Have you regretted cuts in the past at all? Did you enjoy having short hair in the past?
What keeps me going is the fact that any time I have gone for a drastic cut... I always regret it. I've loved long hair basically my whole life.
Can't say I have, but then I've not done anything too drastic since I've grown it out. And I can't really remember having what its like to have short hair except its less work.

Your hair thickness is amazing! I love it.

Do you think with it short it might be so thick as to be unruly or bushy at that length? Like how short were you thinking?
Good luck on your decision. Thanks! If I cut, it will be clipper short, thought about something longer at first but it would be too bushy as you say.

If you're set on cutting, then i think shoulder length would look wonderful on you, kind of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, or like Brad Pitt or David Beckham used to wear it. with your beard and that wonderful bone structure (what i can see of it!) i think it would really suit you.

Just a word of caution: i had mine cut from mid back to shoulder to deal with damage and now regret it, so maybe cut a bit and see how you feel. Thanks

David W., I agree with others who mentioned to maybe begin with just cutting a little off at a time and see how it goes from there. You have amazing thick hair, just look at the blue tie of the thick ponytail! Make sure you are able to continue to tie your hair after they cut it because it will give you more manageability. Thanks! I thought about going shoulder or so at first, but decided that if it was that long I'd just be wearing a ponytail all the time and I'd just prefer it the length it is now.

Your hair is so beautiful!!! One of the members here told me about a 2 week rule, where you should wait 2 weeks before deciding if you are going to cut etc, and if you after those two weeks still want to do it, then you probably should. I don't know how long you've been considering a cut, but if it is not so long then maybe try the 2 week thing. I for sure would not cut my hair if I were you though :p But hair grows back out again so if you really want to then its not really that big of a deal to be honest! :) Thanks! Definitely been considering for a while, but very off and on, which is probably why I hesitate.

I agree with everyone else:
- not cutting it would be super - it looks fantastic! both thickness and quality but also the style seems to suit you, too
- if cutting it, go slow - try e.g. shoulder-length first rather than jumping straight to something super-short - it may be you want a change more than you want short hair per se
- because of your thickness (and do I see a bit of wave?), do be aware that many of the shorter lengths (particularly bob-like styles as sported by e.g. Viggo Mortensen) may well give you the "dreaded triangle head" - so, if aiming for a style like that, do try to find a few inspiration images of guys with similar hairtype to you
- if you really want a change, chop it! (unpopular opinion, yes, but ... hair grows - my main reservation would be that the growing out stage between clipper-cut and shoulder-length is particularly awkward and annoying for guys as society doesn't approve of men wearing any of the main coping methods - headbands, clips, etc.)

Oh, also, you may find browsing the Gentleman's Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110732&page=20) inspirational. Thanks! it does grow back, but I'd rather avoid that phase too, especially if I wanted to grow back out immediately. And thanks for the tip about the other thread.

:agape: your hair is wonderful!!
Thick, healthy, shiny!!
I don't recommend a shoulder length cut because you will end having a "triangle head" (lots of volume towards the ends and less volume on the roots).
Usually hairdressers use to remove volume from hair like yours using thinning shears or razors, but this will cause frizziness to your hair.
Go short if you are done with long hair, but if you need only a change and don't mind having multiple lenghts in your hair, what about an undercut? Thanks for the compliment, and I agree with you about "triangle head"

That is beautiful hair! I wouldn't cut it, but of course it's your choice. Thanks for the compliment.

Do any of you guys get bored with your hair?

flickm
June 26th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Never got bored with mine, i've had long hair all my life, except when my daughter was born 35 years ago. However, when it gets below mid back, i often think it looks straggly and then get it chopped several inches. Crazy really.

Panth
June 26th, 2015, 07:37 AM

I think a lot of us do at one stage or another. The general advice is:
1) Figure if you really want to change your hair or if it's just a symptom of needing something symbolic changing in your life.
2) Try non-damaging, non-cut-based methods of change, e.g. new hair styling, new hair accessories, deposit-only dye, heat-free straightening or curling (whichever is what you've not got), etc.
3) Try minor cut-based methods of change, e.g. change hemline or put in a few layers (especially if it's an issue with weight, overheating or feeling like it "just hangs there"), have a minor chop (<6").
4) If all of that fails and/or you really want to, chop it.

And for all of the above, apply the 2 week rule (i.e don't do anything until you've been wanting to do it for at least two weeks) to avoid impulsive changes you may later regret.

Of course, a lot of that advice isn't so applicable for you as a man due to societal pressure about appearance (unless you're feeling adventurous and unconventional with styling - maybe you are, as you mention wearing buns?).

Personally, when I get bored with my hair I just bun it and try to alleviate my boredom with something else (hobbies, seeing friends, etc.). I know that I find long hair on me a) easier to deal with and b) more flattering. So, I just ride out any temptation for change because I know it's more about wanting something different rather than actually wanting short hair.

pili
June 26th, 2015, 07:46 AM
You have wonderful hair! If you are having any hesitation at all, I would not do it. Your hair is so thick that the growing out stages are more awkward that for most. Plus, you have to keep in mind the maintenance of short hair. That's a haircut at least monthly.

Be 100% sure. The times I have gone short I have regretted.

Puffer Fish
June 26th, 2015, 08:21 AM
:thud: Your hair looks like mine will when it's that long! (Though yours is significantly darker in color.)

I agree with other posters, wait a week or so and then cut off an inch or three and see if that satisfies your need for a change.

You could also learn buns! Buns are great to keep long hair from getting stale, plus it will keep your glorious mane contained when it's windy.

truepeacenik
June 26th, 2015, 08:24 AM
It seems you have no workplace pressure to cut, and that's the main reason I hear for for men cutting short.
good to have that freedom.

I remember short hair being more effort, aside from detangling.

EdG
June 26th, 2015, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the board! :waving:

I don't sense a real reason for you to change anything. You already have the best of both worlds - long hair when worn down, and short hair (effectively) when worn up in a bun.

Nearly all of the men on this board (and women too!) wear buns. This overcomes all of the potential downsides of long hair.
Ed

missrandie
June 26th, 2015, 08:58 AM
First off, your hair! Literally jaw droppingly thick and shiny. That's a very handsome mane!

Second, everybody else has really given you the majority of the advice I could think of. I just wanted to compliment your hair :)

Wildcat Diva
June 26th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I do lots of different hairtoys and bun combinations to keep my interest. Not sure that would be a guy type thing... Cause I feel like I am in pretty princess mode when I do that.

Clipper short won't be much work. It will be a lot of trips to the barber of course.

I'd want to be sure and not half in half out of a decision like this.

DreamSheep
June 26th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Oh my God, I kid you not but that has to be in my top ten most amazing heads of hair I have ever seen (and the LHC enables you to see many, many of such heads of hair).

Now I've picked my jaw off the ground... the decision on whether to go short is obviously yours - but it sounds like it is more out of curiosity as to what short 'felt' like. Bearing in mind taking care of it will be drastically different, it is up to you. It will grow back (my God, your mane is amazing!).
Anyway, I've gone blank, I just really really think your hair is amazing and shouldn't do anything to it... but it is your hair and your life so don't mind me! :)
/ not feeling very helpful today...

amino
June 26th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I feel like I may have gotten bored with my hair back when I was young. It was almost TBL when I cut it off to shoulder, because I wasn't doing anything with it. I just wore in in a braid all the time. Now that I know buns, I really wish I had that length back. I don't get bored with my hair so much as get frustrated with it.

David W
June 26th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all the compliments, though I feel some of you may over-exaggerate (not that its unappreciated). I'll take it slow I guess and not rush into anything since I'm really sitting on the fence on this one. I had a period of "adventurous" hairstyling toward the end of undergrad and start of grad school, so maybe I'll mix it up a bit again since it been a while and I have never really cared what people thought about stuff like that (though gf will have her say I'm sure) and see if that changes my thoughts. Thanks all!

Chromis
June 26th, 2015, 11:17 AM
My husband's hair is clipper short (his hair, so it is his choice) and I think they are pretty similar amounts of work really. He has to wash daily or else it looks super greasy and he has to keep clipping it at least once a month for it to look nice. If I don't trim for months on end, no one notices! By the end of them month though, his is already starting to touch his ears and develop neckpubes.

I don't really get bored with long hair, but sometimes I get bored with the same couple of styles all the time, so I learn some new ones. You could do a lot of cool braids with such thick hair! Accent braids look puny on mine, but they would be rockin' on yours!

poli
June 26th, 2015, 11:38 AM
I think your hair looks great. My only suggestion would be trying some kind of undercut. This cuts look super cool and for sure will give you the "short" feel. Good luck whatever you decide.

yahirwaO.o
June 26th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I seriously love the thickness of your hair man! LOL I agree if u want to go for a short haircut its your choice. You can always grow back, and your seems thick and healthy to do nicely (Just look at Willie Nelson, he cuts his mane short and get his braids back in no time).

I never get bored with my hair. I feel long hair fits me and I would never go back to a standard short men cut no matter what. Mines is straight and fine, still if I get bored Ill try a new braid or straighten it.... I have even curled my hair with heatless stuff just for the sake and quite like it, still when I have my natural straight and down I feel so nice and this great feeling never ends. :o

gwenalyn
June 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
I think your hair looks great. My only suggestion would be trying some kind of undercut. This cuts look super cool and for sure will give you the "short" feel. Good luck whatever you decide.

Seconded! The grow out won't be so awkward, and you will get to see how it "feels" with your fingers. It will make your hair thinner, too, which will give you a little bit of a hint as to how you'll feel without all the hair.

meteor
June 26th, 2015, 03:41 PM
What a gorgeous ponytail you've got! :thudpile: Congrats on growing out hair in such awesome condition! :applause Could you share your hair care routine, pretty please? :D

Obviously to keep it long or cut it short is up to your personal choice, but consider the long grow-out stage, should you want to get back to long hair. Thicker hair can be really hard to handle between clipper short and APL - it can be kind of triangular and really require taming/weighing down and may be hard to contain in styles.

I don't sense a real reason for you to change anything. You already have the best of both worlds - long hair when worn down, and short hair (effectively) when worn up in a bun.

I really agree with EdG! :agree: With longer hair you have options.
Sure, I get bored with long hair sometimes, but with short hair - I did, too! :lol: The cool thing about longer hair is that you can do something about that boredom: i.e. style it differently. Temporary deposit dyes, heatless curling/straightening, new braids/buns, trying out historical/fantasy styles from shows (e.g. Vikings come to mind, for example)... Shorter hair doesn't provide as many styling options, in my opinion. Just my :twocents:

Nadine <3
June 26th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Whoa. :agape:

I wouldn't cut it, but it is your choice. I just wanted to say...whoa. It's so pretty and soft looking!:crush:

David W
June 27th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks again for the feedback and advice. I'm going to hold off on any talk of potential cuts for at least a month and do as suggested and break out some different styles and see how that goes. I think you guys are right and short hair could be boring pretty quick while changing my hair style around a bunch might actually be a lot of fun. I'll keep you posted.

cat11
June 27th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Im so jealous don't cut it it's so handsome If I was single IRL I'd be lookin lol

David W
June 27th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Im so jealous don't cut it it's so handsome If I was single IRL I'd be lookin lol

Haha, oh the irony. My girlfriend is mostly indifferent.

Wusel
June 27th, 2015, 09:18 AM
http://s3.postimg.org/g55f0fcf7/hair.jpg

Dear Dave, I'm speechless. Really. You have wonderful, thick, healthy, shiny hair many people here dream of. WOW.

Don't cut it. Please.
That is said from a woman who absolutely DISLIKES long hair on men. But in your case I LOVE IT!!!
Don't cut it. NO!

cat11
June 27th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Haha, oh the irony. My girlfriend is mostly indifferent.

My boyfriend has hair about your length and I love it but I always tell him I'd be ok with whatever he did to it because I don't want him to think it's too important, lol. Maybe your girlfriend seems indifferent for the same or similar reasons? I like taking care of it for him he always gets it helplessly tangles and then I come to the rescue lol

David W
June 27th, 2015, 09:41 AM
My boyfriend has hair about your length and I love it but I always tell him I'd be ok with whatever he did to it because I don't want him to think it's too important, lol. Maybe your girlfriend seems indifferent for the same or similar reasons? I like taking care of it for him he always gets it helplessly tangles and then I come to the rescue lol

Haha. Could very well be now that I think on it.

Knifegill
June 27th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Don't you ever cut that hair! :p

Komao
June 27th, 2015, 10:35 AM
David W, your hair is gorgeous! Thick, shiny and smooth. I'm partial to long hair. :)

lapushka
June 27th, 2015, 01:37 PM
That is said from a woman who absolutely DISLIKES long hair on men. But in your case I LOVE IT!!!
Don't cut it. NO!

I don't like long hair on men either, much prefer it short, but your hair is gorgeous! Truly. It would be a shame to lose all that length.

Bindi
June 27th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Your hair is amazing!! :thud:

Katyusha
June 27th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Oh my gosh your hair is to die for! :thud: It would be a shame to cut all this gorgeous hair off.. Consider if you really want the up keep that short hair brings. That means styling every day and getting it cut on every three months. I had short hair in the past (and I mean like really short) and I have absolutely no desire to have them short again. It was a pain in the a** to style every morning and upkeep was just to much for me. Not to mention awful cow licks in the morning shudder: Sometimes I get a bit bored with my hair but it passes quick, because I know it would be even more boring short. With long hair I have at least many options in styling and I don't need heat and a lot of product for that. And as far as man and long hair goes. I was always into men with long hair. I don't know, it's just something about men and long hair that makes them really attractive for me. My boyfriend has somewhere around hip length hair but he is slowly losing them. He is very sad because he knows he won't be able to keep them for much longer. You must consider that as well. You can grow your hair long again but since your a man you probably won't have them forever (except if you're one of those lucky guys that will never get bald).

Whatever you do think about it, but I bet short hair will suit you well! Especially those trendy new hairstyles for men :)