PDA

View Full Version : Need special help for my thin hair?!

RileyJane
June 25th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Hey everyone! Long time no post. I'm calling out to any thin and fine hair folks and just anyone in general with some help! I've been growing my hair out delicately for about 4 years now, and since 2012 have been using more delicate measures to take care of my hair (aka the LHC). Anyways, my hair is at waist now, BUT it looks crappy now. There's not a lot of hair that is super long, and I have some very small layers put into my hair recently, so that probably didn't help much. And now my ends are very damaged, split ends galore, and it's very wispy and just AWFUL. I literally want to cry because I've done nothing but take really good care of it with the occasional wearing of the hair down in the past few months. Is there anything I should try or do differently to make my hair healthier? Here's basically what I do on the daily and or weekly:
-wear hair up in protective buns, always rotating the height and style.
- using coconut oil on my length and ends, and gently blending
-combing my hair out every other day
-sleeping in protective bun with silk pillowcase
- using condish on my ends first, then washing with shampoo and rinsing in warming water(washing every 5-8 days)

SO, Is there any special products or oils I should be using, or maybe a new method to use?! I'm completely lost and feel like I'm just going to chop to shoulder length and start again.😔

lapushka
June 25th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I think the layering might have messed up your hair. You could try gently microtrimming until most of the layers are gone again. :flower:

Panth
June 25th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Without knowing your hairtype, more about your routine (e.g. products), etc. it's hard to say. Photos would be helpful too, if you're willing.

That said, if you have fine, damaged hair I very much doubt a no trim challenge (as per your signature) is doing you much good.

elsieivy
June 25th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I'm sorry you're having a tough time with your hair. I agree with Lapushka that microtrimming is probably the best option. I don't think you need to do anything as drastic as cut to shoulder. Good luck!

alexis917
June 25th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Are you using silicones? I know we have a tendency to demonize them here, but if you're going to such lengths to protect your hair (and it's still a bit damaged), they might be of real use to you. Perhaps start out with a "lighter" cone, or something water soluble. I believe Pantene's Ice Shine conditioner contains amodimethicone.

I would also like to ask when you're adding the coconut oil. If you're putting it on dry hair, it's just forming a layer around this dryness, and it can only seal in existing moisture (it cannot draw in more moisture, as it is an occlusive, not a humectant- like honey). The oil might be beneficial in that it's buffering your shampoo, but it's probably not doing much else for you.

I vote for a clarifying shampoo, then an SMT or a nice, coney conditioner.

Panth
June 25th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Yes, unless you're a curly (and maybe even if you are), your fine hair will probably love silicones. I know mine does. ^_^

Anje
June 25th, 2015, 09:42 AM
How do your ends feel? Crispy-crackly? Rough? Sticky? Stretchy? Mushy? Smooth and bendy?

If it's splitting like crazy, at least a small trim (not all the way to shoulders, just a little one) will probably help a lot. But I'm guessing that something's off for you. Maybe it's old damage that's now at the ends and can't take anymore. Maybe you're getting crispy ends from the coconut oil (I used to and now don't -- it's funny stuff). Maybe you've got too much or too little protein. Maybe you need to regularly use a chelating shampoo to keep up on mineral buildup from your water. Lots of possibilities. The more you can tell and show us about your hair, the better.

missrandie
June 25th, 2015, 09:57 AM
I agree with Anje and Lapushka both, actually.. Please tell us more, and we (okay, the experienced ones) should be able to sort it out. And please don't whack it off! Microtrims are a beautiful thing.

ghost
June 25th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Things always feel so dire when your ends are thin and splitting :/ In my experience, microtrimming helps a lot. 1/4" will let you gain a tiny bit of growth each month, with 1/2" you'll probably maintain, but either way you get to watch your hemline slowly thicken up, which is a good feeling.

If you want to improve the overall strength and thickness of your new growth, and don't have any problems with eating animal-derived products, I've had good results from gelatin powder. You can buy just regular old knox gelatin powder in the store, or if you want the same benefits without it actually gelling in whatever you put it in, Great Lakes makes a collagen hydrosylate powder from grass-fed beef that is basically the same thing. It has the same health benefits, it just doesn't thicken up right away.

Nini
June 25th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Try cutting out the coconut oil for a while. It doesn't work for everybody apparently.

I personally find that regular oiling is a bit too much for my fine hair. So I just use a SLS-free shampoo and leave it at that. Once in a blue moon I'll add a wee drop of camellia oil on wet/damp hair, but that's it.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 25th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I second the micro trimming. It is helping my fine thin ends immensely - though it is a very slow process, it has to be better than a major chop, particularly as I still wish to gain length. Anyway, the best of luck!

Kendrix
June 25th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I have extremely fine hair with many of the same problems. S&D is really hard because I have a LOT of fine hairs and my hair does NOT tolerate coconut oil. I get quarter inch trims when it becomes unmanageable and there are a few other things that help me deal with tangles. Vinegar rinses, light use of water soluble cones and stretching my washes as far as possible. A week minimum. My natural oils lubricate my hair better than many things I can pile on. Also, one oil my hair doesn't mind is mineral oil. Like plain baby oil. Just a drop or two on the very tips. But like you, I am still struggling myself.

Deborah
June 25th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I suggest NOT cutting to shoulder, but maybe consider having about two inches cut in order to even and thicken up your ends, while at the same time getting rid of most of the damaged parts. I bet you would like the immediate result this would bring.

If your hair were shorter, then microtrimming might be needed. But since your hair is at waist already, two inches won't LOOK lots shorter, but would probably greatly improve the look and healthy feel of your hair.

Just another opinion.

Silverbrumby
June 25th, 2015, 04:38 PM
microtrim once a month for four months. 1/4 inch at most. You'll know if it's helping in 2 months without any real loss of length. My fine hair hates coconut oil.

yogagirl
June 25th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I will join the chorus, microtrimming sounds like a good idea here. Also, did you have split ends before your recent cut? If not, your hair dresser's scissors could have been dull and they could have caused damage to your ends. Only trimming will help, but of course not by the same hair dresser/with the same scissors!

Agnes Hannah
June 26th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Just a thought but I have very fine hair, uber fine! I am currently trimming 0.5cm every three months as my ends were beginning to look wispy and unhealthy. I also use Lapushka's WCC method to protect my ends. Firstly I wash the roots with a non coney shampoo, my scalp does not like cones. Then I condish the length only, rinse and repeat with a thicker condish more on the very ends. I have used a serum or oil on the ends when they are still damp as this helps to lock in the moisture. This has helped my hair grow to hip. It is also up all of the time, braided at night but untied, and in a silk sleep cap. All these things have helped me. I have recently started to use henna. Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

yahirwaO.o
June 26th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Been there and yes regular mictrotrimming seem the way to go. Crunchy dry wispy ends will slowly fade away, hem and overall hair will look thicker and in better condition.

I know the down feeling, but some hair types like us, just cant grow hair without a bit trimming every now and then (despite all the good care), otherwise this thing happens.

RileyJane
June 26th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Sorry guys I've been working a lot lately! Once I get home from this job I'll set up some pics. Anyways, I live out in the country and have well water( I grew up with well water), and for shampoo I've been using one from a hair salon to help with my scalp from wintertime (winter was really brutal to my skin and scalp) it's called J Beverly Hills but I don't know the ingredients off the top of my head, all ik is my scalp loves it! For conditioner I've been alternating using cheap conditioners without sulfates. I always condition my length and ends before shampooing, and then rinse it all out, and occasionally use jojoba oil on my length and ends as I shower and rinse at the end. I have been taking biotin, b12, and vitamin d supplements and have noticed positive results from those, but I just don't know what gives! I know I had extensive coloring damage from 2010-2011, could it possibly STILL be all of that? My hair to about APL or longer seems normal and thickish, but past that it's terrible. I was also thinking of trying an ACV rinse? If there's any specific shampoos and conditioners that anyone would recommend let me know:) It's just fustrating when I finally get my hair feeling long and it just looks awful.

Panth
June 27th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Been there and yes regular mictrotrimming seem the way to go. Crunchy dry wispy ends will slowly fade away, hem and overall hair will look thicker and in better condition.

I know the down feeling, but some hair types like us, just cant grow hair without a bit trimming every now and then (despite all the good care), otherwise this thing happens.

As a very similar hairtype (1b/F/i/ii, currently), nope, trims are not essential. I've had two trims and a bit of very intermittent and half-hearted S&D in the last 4.5 years and it didn't stop me going from TBL to past knee in that time. Of course, you might not agree with me on the aesthetics of my very fairytaled ends but no trims is not an absolute bar to growth with this hairtype. (Though I would say that no trims + no daily updos probably is, particularly for the longer lengths. I go for near-daily updos. YMMV.)

Sorry guys I've been working a lot lately! Once I get home from this job I'll set up some pics. Anyways, I live out in the country and have well water( I grew up with well water), and for shampoo I've been using one from a hair salon to help with my scalp from wintertime (winter was really brutal to my skin and scalp) it's called J Beverly Hills but I don't know the ingredients off the top of my head, all ik is my scalp loves it! For conditioner I've been alternating using cheap conditioners without sulfates. I always condition my length and ends before shampooing, and then rinse it all out, and occasionally use jojoba oil on my length and ends as I shower and rinse at the end. I have been taking biotin, b12, and vitamin d supplements and have noticed positive results from those, but I just don't know what gives! I know I had extensive coloring damage from 2010-2011, could it possibly STILL be all of that? My hair to about APL or longer seems normal and thickish, but past that it's terrible. I was also thinking of trying an ACV rinse? If there's any specific shampoos and conditioners that anyone would recommend let me know:) It's just fustrating when I finally get my hair feeling long and it just looks awful.

My thoughts:
1) Well water can be hard - do you get limescale a lot? or orange iron-based staining of your sinks/taps? if so, you may want to get a chelating shampoo (aka swimmer's shampoo) to use occasionally to prevent the limescale/iron building up on your hair (which can both discolour it and cause it to become tangly and unmanageable).

2) No sulphates in a conditioner is good (sulphates are cleansers so should be in your shampoo if you use them at all), but do you also have no 'cones in your conditioner? Fine hair often likes 'cones, as does bleach-damaged hair - they help to promote slip and shine, prevent static and they also patch-repair damaged sections. 'Cones are not awful hair-destroying things (like some people say) and your hair may well find them beneficial.

3) Supplements will only improve hair growth if you are deficient in the vitamins/minerals in question. As you are getting a benefit, that suggests your diet may be deficient. You may find it beneficial to have your blood vitamin/mineral/hormone levels checked by your GP/family doctor (iron, B12, vitamin D, sex hormones and thyroid hormones are the main ones to look for). This is important as hair is very much a "canary in the mine" - if a deficiency is harming your hair, it's likely to also be harming other aspects of your health that are less superficial and less fixable. Getting a proper diagnosis and subsequent treatment is a much better way of dealing with this as some supplements can, if taken incorrectly, actually cause deficiencies in other vitamins/minerals, making your situation even worse. Of course, improving your diet will also be beneficial - both to hair and health.

4) ACV rinses (or acidic rinses in general) are generally used as the final step of your washing routine and left in. They are essential if using soap-based washing methods (as soaps are alkaline and the scalp likes to be mildly acidic for optimal scalp health). Some people like them generally for scalp health, to promote hair shininess and to slow down mineral build-up if you have hard water. The main thing is to not make the rinse too strong (for vinegars, 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of water is sufficient). Lots of people like ACV but it can cause white/grey/blonde hair to become brassy over time. White wine vinegar or plain white vinegar won't cause brassiness. Citric acid is used by some people who dislike the vinegar smell (though that smell does go away as the hair dries) or who want a greater chelating (mineral removing) effect - you can buy it at a chemists. Some people use diluted lemon juice but I'd not recommend that as it can bleach over time.

5) Hair grows approx. 1/2 in a month on average. 12 months in a year --> average of 6" growth / year. If you had damage in 2011, you've had 4 years to grow undamaged hair, so 6" x 4 years = 24" hair that has not been damaged. Waist length hair is approx. 27" long (at least on me, measuring hair strand length not LHC style). So, yes, it's quite possible that the last few inches of your hair are left from that time and still have that damage, especially if your hair grows a touch slower than the 1/2" population average.