PDA

View Full Version : Acne Body Wash for Shampoo?

CoveredByLove
June 24th, 2015, 08:39 PM
After getting off bc almost 3 months ago, I've been struggling with an itchy, pimply scalp. The pimples are mainly concentrated at my nape, but my whole head itches. I thought I might have SD, but I lack the crusty flakes. I've switched shampoo multiple times, I've tried H&S, I've tried Selsun Blue (that helped more than the others, but made my hair look like poo poo) I also have been having back acne, so I picked up some Neutrogena Body Clear body wash. I looked at the ingredients, and it is not much different from a clean rinsing shampoo + salicylic acid. It's helping my back...so...

Should I try the acne body wash as a shampoo?

I'm really frustrated and tired of dealing with it. :mad:

endlessly
June 24th, 2015, 09:36 PM
While the ingredients might be similar, the percentages might be higher, so it might end up being extremely drying and I would proceed with caution. The downside to salicylic acid is how drying it can be and while that's an easy fix for the skin, your hair won't be able to recover from it. So, again, I would proceed with caution, but in the end, it's really up to you. If you're really desperate for a fix, you could give it a try, but know that it might make the situation worse. Personally, I can't think of any products to recommend besides sticking with a clarifying shampoo and keeping conditioner away from the scalp, but otherwise, I don't know of anything currently on the market meant to help with that issue.

Best of luck!

Aderyn
June 24th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Maybe try mixing in a little tea tree oil or coconut oil, as those both have anti bacterial and nourishing properties?

CoveredByLove
June 25th, 2015, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the replies! :flower:

I was worried the SA would be drying...that's why I'm leery but frustrated. It's weird because I don't have flakes or dandruff...just itchiness and pimples. Perhaps, like u said, a more clarifying/clean rinsing shampoo would help...
I have tried mixing in tea tree...just forgot to mention it.

Panth
June 25th, 2015, 03:46 AM
If you think it might be SD, try ketoconazole-containing shampoo (i.e. Nizoral or equivalent). IMO, it works much better than other medicated options.

That said, it doesn't exactly sound like SD. Tbh, I think you'd best go see your GP/family doctor for a proper diagnosis.

I wouldn't use the acne body wash. Firstly, as others have said, it won't be formulated for hair and is likely to be unduely harsh. Secondly, it's far from clear that what you have is an acne-like problem. Skin/scalp conditions are not all the same and cannot all be treated with the same products. By slapping on miscellaneous stuff without actually getting a diagnosis you risk causing more harm. The treatments for some conditions can actively exacerbate other conditions (e.g. moisturisers and oils for xerosis or eczema will exacerbate SD).

Arctic
June 25th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I had this problem when I used oils and allowed conditioner near my scalp --> my crazy experimenting phase as a new LHCer. I learned my skin does not tolerate oils at all (acne and infection) and needs good shampooing often to stay healthy. I Can use normal rinseout conditioners (if they don't have oils and don't touch my scalp), occasional deep treatments, and leave-in conditioner (same as my rinse out one), and these are fine.

My case was clearly about the products, and not BC/hormones though.

CoveredByLove
June 25th, 2015, 04:47 AM
I had this problem when I used oils and allowed conditioner near my scalp --> my crazy experimenting phase as a new LHCer. I learned my skin does not tolerate oils at all (acne and infection) and needs good shampooing often to stay healthy. I Can use normal rinseout conditioners (if they don't have oils and don't touch my scalp), occasional deep treatments, and leave-in conditioner (same as my rinse out one), and these are fine.

My case was clearly about the products, and not BC/hormones though.

I'm just guessing the hormones *might* be partly the cause, but it could be coincidental. When I part my hair and look at my scalp there is no redness or crusty flakes...nothing like that. I really doubt there is any real medical problem here...Its just has a mild (but annoying) itch and pimples. I think you are onto something with the oils and such....I'm going to try and use only clean rinsing shampoo and see if it clears up. I also have liked to do scalp oiling in an effort to boost hair growth, but I might have just boosted bacterial growth instead. :( lol I like to use the WCC method, but I don't put any on my scalp. I do, sometimes, glaze whats left over in my hand over the top of my head, but I don't massage it in.

lapushka
June 25th, 2015, 09:00 AM
You don't have to have *all* the symptoms to have SD. The fact that the Selsun Blue helped the most is proof of that. My favorite SD shampoo is Nizoral. It is drying though, so I make *very* certain to double condition afterwards - at least my scalp is happy. And you can try and do scalp-washes only as well. Good luck! :)

CoveredByLove
June 25th, 2015, 09:36 AM
You don't have to have *all* the symptoms to have SD. The fact that the Selsun Blue helped the most is proof of that. My favorite SD shampoo is Nizoral. It is drying though, so I make *very* certain to double condition afterwards - at least my scalp is happy. And you can try and do scalp-washes only as well. Good luck! :)

Thanks! :flower: I will try the selsun and nizoral!

Anje
June 25th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Honestly, I'd give it a try and just try to keep it close to the scalp. Worst that happens is that it doesn't work and is a bit harsh, right?

I've had a body wash or two that were awesome as shampoo. IMO, the categories are pretty artificial.

lapushka
June 25th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I think the body wash might actually be more drying than Selsun or Nizoral. I think because it's a body wash, it might be... IDK not so much stuffed with moisturizing/conditioning ingredients than a shampoo might be (even though a shampoo isn't designed to be that moisturizing or conditioning).

But you can always try... and see what it does. :)

meteor
June 25th, 2015, 06:05 PM
I've done it by mistake: confused bottles while travelling and my hair was absolutely fine with that, and I would use it in a pinch. While I don't think it's a big risk to use body wash, I really don't think it's the best approach, especially when there are so many specialty products available that not only address scalp issues but are also long-hair-friendly (so won't tangle up/cause matted hair issues inadvertently).
Also, you don't need to get a body wash to get that salicylic acid: many shampoos contain it, too (e.g. Shea Moisture Deep Cleansing Shampoo (http://www.sheamoisture.com/African-Black-Soap-Deep-Cleansing-Shampoo-_p_732.html) or Neutrogena T/Sal (http://www.neutrogena.com/product/t-sal-+therapeutic+shampoo+-+scalp+build-up+control.do))

To be honest, I'd book an appointment with a dermatologist over this. :flower:

If it takes a while to book an appointment, in the meantime, my biggest bet would be on anti-fungals: ketoconazole (e.g. Nizoral (http://www.drugs.com/nizoral.html)or Regenepure Dr (http://www.regenepure.com/regenepure-dr-doctor-recommended.html)), climbazole (Dandrene (http://dslaboratories.com/dandrene/description.php#top)), as well as products with selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue). If they dry out your hair too much, use them in scalp-only washes (while keeping length braided or bunned under a plastic wrap to keep it dry). Here is an informative thread on scalp-only washes: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848

Also, check out this article on Science-y Hair Blog: Medicated Shampoos, Conditioners, Co-washes and Treatments For Itchy Scalp, Dry Scalp, Seborrheic Dermatitis (List) - http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/medicated-shampoos-and-conditioners-for.html

Best of luck! :love: I really hope your scalp will clear up soon!

chen bao jun
June 25th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Yes, I was just going to ask, did I miss the part where you went to the dermatologist?
Sometimes a professional is what you need. My son jsut went to a dermatologist for this issue and is much better, among the things he was given was oral medication which I would not have thought of.

CoveredByLove
June 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone for all the help, links, and advice. Very much appreciated :flower:
Although the body wash may not have been too bad, I went ahead and bought some T/Gel and H&S clinical strength (which has the same active ingredient as selsun) Like meteor said, they have stuff designed specifically for scalp issues so why not try that first. I first used the T/Gel. I felt immediate relief out of the shower. It had a cooling effect. My head didn't itch at all until it was time to wash the next evening. That in itself was proof. Next wash, I used the H&S. Again, no itchiness, although it did creep back up a couple hours before time to wash again. The pimples seem to be drying up. I think I may need to use the t/gel for a few consecutive washes. My hair was tangly out of the shower with H&S, which I wasn't too happy about. :( Next time I will make sure to do ROO with mineral oil after shampoo to hopefully combat the tangles. The H&S was SLS free but I still felt it was drying. The body wash is SLS free and uses mild cleansers. It also contains glycerin and aloe. I doubt it would be *too* harsh. But if I'm having success rotating dandruff/SD shampoos, then I think I'll stick with what is working. I've been dealing with this for about three months now. At first I thought "SD", but then doubted because I didn't have all the symptoms. But like LaPushka said, I guess not everyone manifests all the symptoms and that doesn't mean you don't have SD. I will discuss this with my dermatologist. I just would hate to go in, him look at my scalp and see nothing wrong with it other than an occasional pimple, then send me home empty handed. My scalp doesn't look bad, other than the patch at my nape where most of the pimples are congregated.

EDT: Meteor: The link to science-y blog was extremely helpful! I definitely am having some dermatitis, and not just acne in my head. I can relate to everything she says. I plan on rotating medicated shampoos, like she suggest. I will need to pre-poo with coconut oil to combat the dryness and keep doing ROO method!

lapushka
June 28th, 2015, 02:45 PM
At first I thought "SD", but then doubted because I didn't have all the symptoms. But like LaPushka said, I guess not everyone manifests all the symptoms and that doesn't mean you don't have SD. I will discuss this with my dermatologist. I just would hate to go in, him look at my scalp and see nothing wrong with it other than an occasional pimple, then send me home empty handed. My scalp doesn't look bad, other than the patch at my nape where most of the pimples are congregated.

EDT: Meteor: The link to science-y blog was extremely helpful! I definitely am having some dermatitis, and not just acne in my head. I can relate to everything she says. I plan on rotating medicated shampoos, like she suggest. I will need to pre-poo with coconut oil to combat the dryness and keep doing ROO method!

If you are planning to go see a dermatologist, don't keep using the medicated shampoos. The derm needs to have something to look at! But I guess if the shampoo works, then there's no need to go see a derm. It might take a while to clear up as you've had this for such a long time!

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 06:56 PM
^ Yay! I'm so happy to hear your scalp is improving, CoveredByLove! :joy:

I'd keep washing with the medicated shampoos as often as needed (i.e. following instructions, without stretching washes) until the scalp normalizes completely. But if it doesn't fully recover soon, then I'd definitely see a doctor. (They usually first ask whether you've already tried using a standard anti-dandruff shampoo for a while and what else have you tried.)

And if you are scared of drying out the length with frequent cleansing with those medicated shampoos (yes, they are a bit drying), you could do a CWC routine or sometimes a very thorough scalp-only wash (with length braided/bunned and covered with shower cap).