PDA

View Full Version : Back to SULPH-CONE-BOMBS and LESS SHEDDING! :(

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I'm speechless.
The title says it all.

Cheap L'Oreal Anti Breakage Shampoo and Conditioner (the orange one) and much more hairs decided to stay on my scalp after a wash. And when combing. And braiding. And running fingers through them.

OMG.
THAT CAN'T BE TRUE.

What the hell...???

Is this only a 2-week-coincidence or does my scalp simply love chemical-coney-sulphy stuff?

Edit: I DON'T WANT TO PUT THIS S**T IN THE SEWAGE!
I'M ECO-FRIENDLY!

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 12:01 PM
First of all, congratulations! :joy:
Obviously, keep using it since your hair is loving it. :thumbsup:

About the shedding... it's usually caused by something internal, but a product can contribute, too (e.g. if it makes scalp unhappy). Some scalps really need a strong cleanse that sulphates can provide.
Oh, and, by the way, nothing wrong with silicones and sulphates (unless they cause a skin reaction or make hair feel dry/lank/coated - for *some* people only). Cones help with slip, thus reducing tangles & breakage. :)

Sterlyn
June 24th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I was cone and sulfate free for probably 6 years, used only natural oils and products. However I did use sulfates for clarifying every so often, hair didn't look terrible but it didn't always look good either. I was convinced because it was natural, that it was better for my hair. Apparently my hair did not see things that way.

Now I'm using sulfates and several different cones and Mineral Oil, with every wash and hair is happier, consistently looks better and feels more moisturized.

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 12:10 PM
First of all, congratulations! :joy:
Obviously, keep using it since your hair is loving it. :thumbsup:

About the shedding... it's usually caused by something internal, but a product can contribute, too (e.g. if it makes scalp unhappy). Some scalps really need a strong cleanse that sulphates can provide.
Oh, and, by the way, nothing wrong with silicones and sulphates (unless they cause a skin reaction or make hair feel dry/lank/coated - for *some* people only). Cones help with slip, thus reducing tangles & breakage. :)

Thank you. Yes, I feel it. All the velcro-y-ness is gone and I can comb through my hair like through butter... no pulling, snapping...
And I really have the feeling that my scalp feels happier... sadly, because it's not good for the environment.
I think my scalp doesn't like all the oils in natural shampoos like this RAHUA that I have...

Nique1202
June 24th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Thank you. Yes, I feel it. All the velcro-y-ness is gone and I can comb through my hair like through butter... no pulling, snapping...
And I really have the feeling that my scalp feels happier... sadly, because it's not good for the environment.
I think my scalp doesn't like all the oils in natural shampoos like this RAHUA that I have...

If it's any help, Google tells me that 94% of German municipal wastewater (if your location is correct) is treated to the highest standard in the EU before it's put back into the environment, so EVEN IF sulfates or cones are that bad for the environment (and there are much bigger problems than sulfates and cones affecting waterways) your individual environmental impact will still be effectively zero for switching back.

As for the shed situation, LOADS of people have scalps that just can't tolerate oil. Lots of threads and posts about people who started using castor oil or hot oil treatments or just started conditioner-only washing and had huge sheds. I know my scalp gets extra-greasy and itchy if I use oil or conditioner anywhere above my shoulders so you're not alone, by any means!

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your Edit about the eco-friendliness, Wusel. :oops:

I didn't even know that they weren't eco-friendly - my assumption was they'd be regulated out of the industry if they were bad... :hmm:

I do know of the volatile silicones issue: some of them were detected in the atmosphere and may pose biodegradability concerns (http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Geir_Gabrielsen/publication/46254468_Volatile_Siloxanes_in_the_European_Arctic _Assessment_of_Sources_and_Spatial_Distribution/links/09e41506c11ac39462000000.pdf), but I thought they are being phased out, at least in the EU products (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

Aderyn
June 24th, 2015, 12:34 PM
It can definitely be hard to find cone-free products that work well in the hair.

I've found that since my hair is in a healthy place and having general knowledge of healthy hair care, practically any coney conditioner works well on my hair, but finding a holy-grail cone-free conditioner is much tougher. Most cone-free conditioners are just.. meh. Not bad, just nothing special.

pixldust
June 24th, 2015, 12:38 PM
It's great that cones have helped your hair! I went back to cones a while ago, after ditching them because I thought natural was best. My hair is much happier for it. Detangling is sooo much easier which means less likelihood of mechanical damage to the already-damaged ends. As for the environment - if you're an eco-friendly person generally and do your best to reduce your impact on the environment, then I'm sure using cone containing products sometimes isn't a terrible thing.

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM
If it's any help, Google tells me that 94% of German municipal wastewater (if your location is correct) is treated to the highest standard in the EU before it's put back into the environment, so EVEN IF sulfates or cones are that bad for the environment (and there are much bigger problems than sulfates and cones affecting waterways) your individual environmental impact will still be effectively zero for switching back.

Thank you. I'm researching this :)
I don't want to feel guilty for destroying our environment just because I want nice hair.

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I didn't see your Edit about the eco-friendliness, Wusel. :oops:

I didn't even know that they weren't eco-friendly - my assumption was they'd be regulated out of the industry if they were bad... :hmm:

I do know of the volatile silicones issue: some of them were detected in the atmosphere and may pose biodegradability concerns (http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Geir_Gabrielsen/publication/46254468_Volatile_Siloxanes_in_the_European_Arctic _Assessment_of_Sources_and_Spatial_Distribution/links/09e41506c11ac39462000000.pdf), but I thought they are being phased out, at least in the EU products (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

I'm not 100% sure but I've read somewhere that silicones aren't bio-degradable at all... that's my worry... I'm reading and researching... :) Thank you!

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 12:46 PM
It's great that cones have helped your hair! I went back to cones a while ago, after ditching them because I thought natural was best. My hair is much happier for it. Detangling is sooo much easier which means less likelihood of mechanical damage to the already-damaged ends. As for the environment - if you're an eco-friendly person generally and do your best to reduce your impact on the environment, then I'm sure using cone containing products sometimes isn't a terrible thing.

I'm VERY eco-friendly. I'm a minimalist, drive an eco-friendly car but only when I need it for work... I'm the crazy-militant black-sheep-eco-activist in my extravagant plastic-shopoholic-family :) :D:rolling::rolling::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounc e:

lapushka
June 24th, 2015, 01:11 PM
My old saying still goes, it's not about what *you* want, it's about what your hair (scalp) wants.

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 01:19 PM
My old saying still goes, it's not about what *you* want, it's about what your hair (scalp) wants.

Okay... so my brain wants to save the environment and what's above it, protecting it from harm, is my scullcap, covered with my scalp. And it wants the opposite. So, who's supposed to be the winner?:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Edit: As for now my scalp and hair both feel so wonderful that I don't care about my brain. :D

lapushka
June 24th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Okay... so my brain wants to save the environment and what's above it, protecting it from harm, is my scullcap, covered with my scalp. And it wants the opposite. So, who's supposed to be the winner?:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Edit: As for now my scalp and hair both feel so wonderful that I don't care about my brain. :D

The saying goes for me too, as I wanted to CO-wash and go sulfate-free. But my seborrheic dermatitis didn't agree. It made me need a harsh sulfate shampoo and Nizoral. So I adapted my routine to the SD and to my hair's wants & needs. Couldn't be happier.

MINAKO
June 24th, 2015, 02:38 PM
"Chemicals" ftw, hehe! I can totally relate to the cone happiness, all my trials on 100% natural haircare resulted in dry and tangly hair, needless to say i snapped off more than i would have otherwise with sufficient slip and occlusive powers. A combination of both, natural replenishment and artificial coating works best for me. The only two things that are absolutely cone free are my cleansing conditioners and excessive oil treatments overnight, but then i would never go without a coney leave in.

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 03:09 PM
"Chemicals" ftw, hehe! I can totally relate to the cone happiness, all my trials on 100% natural haircare resulted in dry and tangly hair, needless to say i snapped off more than i would have otherwise with sufficient slip and occlusive powers. A combination of both, natural replenishment and artificial coating works best for me. The only two things that are absolutely cone free are my cleansing conditioners and excessive oil treatments overnight, but then i would never go without a coney leave in.

What is a cleansing conditioner?

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 03:48 PM
^ Cleansing conditioners are CO-products. It's a marketing name that makes it clear to customers that a product is safe for CO-washes. :)

Wusel
June 24th, 2015, 03:53 PM
^ Cleansing conditioners are CO-products. It's a marketing name that makes it clear to customers that a product is safe for CO-washes. :)

We don't have this here in Germany. I'm googling... No. Only available from US or UK on Amazon Germany.

Or it's called differently.

Silverbrumby
June 24th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I use cones sulfates about once every two weeks and my scalp loves it. Dirty scalp = angry itchy scalp for me. Nothing helps it more than sulfates every now and then.

Thank you. I'm researching this :)
I don't want to feel guilty for destroying our environment just because I want nice hair.

ExpectoPatronum
June 24th, 2015, 08:35 PM

^This

Your hair and scalp likes what your hair and scalp likes. I really wanted mine to like cowashing, but no amount of experimenting with cowashes was going to change the fact that cowashing is not for me.

lapushka
June 25th, 2015, 06:52 AM
^This

Your hair and scalp likes what your hair and scalp likes. I really wanted mine to like cowashing, but no amount of experimenting with cowashes was going to change the fact that cowashing is not for me.

Yeah, I tried and experimented to bits with trying to go CO. But alas, that failed - big time. Oh well, and the best thing is, if you reward your hair, your hair rewards you. If you treat it right, it will look good!

Wusel
June 25th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I tried and experimented to bits with trying to go CO. But alas, that failed - big time. Oh well, and the best thing is, if you reward your hair, your hair rewards you. If you treat it right, it will look good!

:) I see and feel it. And I smell it. NO natural shampoo still smells so wonderful the day after a wash like L'Oreal. In fact, RAHUA STINKS. Can't stand the smell. And next day your hair stinks like old cheese... :D

missrandie
June 25th, 2015, 10:06 AM
You know, I had almost completely forgotten how much my hair loved all of that. Mane-N-Tail shampoo and conditioner with Infusium 23 after drying... I never had to clarify, never had to chelate, never needed to deep treat. I'm sure my hair would have been even thicker at the ends if I had done deep treatments, but I was a kid and didn't know any better. It was my wonderful long hair.

All my playing around with other stuff over the years has finally led me back to conventional products too. I'm just going to finish up my natural shampoo and conditioner, then proceed with my old favorites!

Wusel
June 25th, 2015, 01:13 PM
You know, I had almost completely forgotten how much my hair loved all of that. Mane-N-Tail shampoo and conditioner with Infusium 23 after drying... I never had to clarify, never had to chelate, never needed to deep treat. I'm sure my hair would have been even thicker at the ends if I had done deep treatments, but I was a kid and didn't know any better. It was my wonderful long hair.

All my playing around with other stuff over the years has finally led me back to conventional products too. I'm just going to finish up my natural shampoo and conditioner, then proceed with my old favorites!

What are your old favorites?

missrandie
June 25th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Mostly just Mane-n-Tail shampoo and conditioner with the Infusium, and when I really wanted something different I used Aussie Spray Gel. It was a light enough gel to use on my hair but gave me the grab I needed for buns too.