PDA

View Full Version : Protective summer headwear

proo
June 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Drape a bandana-sized scarf over head/bun with points at nose, nape, and over the ears.
Tie it on do-rag style at the nape;
fold up point over nose to midforhead.
It can be nice and snug, tuck in the ends.
Put a wide, stretchy, soft headband overtop of this
so it looks like the hatband.
This covers the untidy looking parts -
so many variations, depending on scarf/headband combo,
and it looks quite like a indiehipster hat.
I teach outdoor yoga in a windy place and this has saved me
Highly protective and not dorky
plus nothing gets pulled over the head till after it's covered
so the 'do stays pristine.
I also use the small scarf base with a visor I made from cutting the top of a cadet-style hat off,
leaving just band and visor.

picklepie
June 24th, 2015, 02:29 AM
I can't quite envision this, though it sounds great! Could you post a photo or diagram? :)

lapushka
June 24th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I could follow along nicely; thanks for posting, proo!

picklepie
June 24th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I guess I'm ignorant of "do-rag style"-- does that mean tying the side points together under the nape? And does the point draped toward the nap just get gathered into the headband?

kurlywurlygurl
June 24th, 2015, 10:29 AM
picklepie I love your hair! :spitting:
My pattern is identical to yours except I'm more on the coarse side. I'm kind of worried about growing out layers but your hair looks lovely. How have the curls been at longer lengths? I'm also worried about my hair not being as curly due to the weight but I've decided to try it out anyway. And also, hi. :)

picklepie
June 24th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Hi! :) I wear my hair bun-straightened and up almost every day, so I don't care too much about the curl, but it curls up nicely into little spirals if I plop and add a leave-in. I like the remaining layers, as they make buns easier.

Madora
June 24th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Whatever type of headgear you favor, try and do it in white.

proo
June 25th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Yes picklepie, the side points are tied at the nape.
I wear my bun at the crown so the effect is conehead-esque, but somehow fine.
Don't know how it would work/look with the bun further down.
I generally use my fav faded black bandana and headband since that sort of resembles my hair color -
I know there's a reason to wear white, madora, but can't remember why . .

picklepie
June 26th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Thank you! I'm trying it as we speak... Bandanas aren't big enough to cover my whole head, so I'm trying to find the right size...

cat11
June 27th, 2015, 08:38 AM
pics or it didn't happen!

picklepie
June 27th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I can't make it work. It just looks like a scarf with lumps of knots tucked in, with a headband around it. And the headband doesn't seem to do much except make my head hotter. I need a picture from proooooo!

proo
June 27th, 2015, 04:54 PM
I apologize for my lack of knowhow on the pic posting -
just can't seem to make that happen.
And you appear to have alot more length than I do so perhaps this isn't practical -
the last time I wore it I didn't tuck the ends under the headband,
I tucked them around the headband so it was significantly covered and it looked better,
really like a bandana hat.

picklepie
June 28th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Ooh, that sounds cute! I'll try it again, that way, when our current heat wave lets up a bit. I like head-coverings that don't look religious on me, and I'm always looking for good ones. Thank you for sharing this idea!