PDA

View Full Version : Hair falling out during oil treatments

Alien Girl
June 23rd, 2015, 05:30 AM
I haven't been doing castor+olive oil treatments lately, but the last two weeks I have. :cool:
However, the second time I did it (once a week schedule) I noticed a lot of hair coming out. Some looked like baby hairs or really short hair without a follicle attached.
I might stop doing oil treatments because I'm starting to think that the oil being heavy, even when warm, is making my hair be pulled out or broken somehow.

Has anyone had issues with this as well?

Also does oil treatments cause protein-overload? I only use castor and extra virgin olive oil. I have coconut oil on hand but haven't used it before on my hair.

Usually when doing the treatment, after co-washing the oil out, my hair feels pretty rough until I condition it. Also right after shampooing my hair feels coarse too. I think I have naturally coarse and thicker hair, but I know that coarseness is also an indicator of protein overload. :(

P.S. I've NEVER had hair breakage until I started dying my hair a lot when I was 17. Then it stopped after I chopped and let it grow. Now it's a bit damaged from japanese perm and 2x coloring (brown) but I don't know why it's breaking when I do the treatments. Maybe I'm too rough with my hair??:confused:

Wusel
June 23rd, 2015, 06:02 AM
Oil on my scalp => CONTINENTAL SHED FROM EUROPE TO ASIA!!! :D
Never again.

Especially not castor. Rips baby hairs out of my scalp and edges and breaks my hair, even when dilluted.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2015, 06:21 AM
Some people can't stand oil on their scalps or conditioner, as it will cause major shedding. If you encounter that, immediately stop using the oil (or conditioner) on your scalp, and try and experiment with something else.

luxurioushair
June 23rd, 2015, 06:40 AM
I don't know what causes it, but olive oil is not good for my hair either. I deep conditioned with olive oil for a couple of months and it made my hair get really tangled at the ends (I have 4C hair). I think olive oil's a bit too heavy (for me) and it makes my hair stick together. I have never used jojoba so I can't say anything about it. I'm sorry it's making you lose hair :(

I deep condition with a mixture of my regular conditioner and Argan Oil now and it's perfect, my hair grew an inch in the past month.

wilderwein
June 23rd, 2015, 07:34 AM
I also notice shedding when I apply any kind of oil in my scalp, so I just use it on the rest of my hair (avoiding the scalp) besides I believe that you really dont need to oil your scalp, its better if you leave your natural oils there and then massage it (if you want to increase growth rate or something)

As for the rest of the hair, if you want to prevent accidental breakage while you apply oil, it's better to oil your hair in sections. Take a small section, oil it gently and move on the next one, personally I feel that I can control my moves easier like that.

Wusel
June 23rd, 2015, 07:47 AM
I deep condition only my lengths from ear down and see that I don't get it on my scalp.
Anything conditioning on my scalp => CONTIEN... you know already.

Anje
June 23rd, 2015, 09:54 AM
It's not protein overload, because it's not protein. But oils and some scalps just do NOT get along.

Basically, if it makes you shed unreasonably, skip it. You don't need that. It doesn't work for you. But do make sure that you're actually shedding more, not just losing hair during the oiling that you would otherwise lose during your shower.

woolyleprechaun
June 23rd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Mine does that too. Funnily enough, my scalp eventually adjusts to oiling and the shedding slows down after several weeks of regular oiling. That's just me though- if I were you I'd give it a break, if you are worried.
For me its conditioner; I lost at least an inch off my circumference in 8months of CO *weeps*. Its a shame, as my hair loved it. Life would be so much easier if my scalp and hair had the same tastes.

BoopBoop1
June 23rd, 2015, 10:49 AM
Two days ago I did a coconut oil treatment and today I noticed lots of breakage on the top of my head. It looks way shinier, but it has so much breakage ): I'm no sure why does this happens, really. Something I do is putting aloe vera in my hair, it's not greasy at all and it makes my hair look healthier.

Alien Girl
June 23rd, 2015, 09:18 PM
I deep condition only my lengths from ear down and see that I don't get it on my scalp.
Anything conditioning on my scalp => CONTIEN... you know already.
HAHAHA ya goof :)

It's not protein overload, because it's not protein. But oils and some scalps just do NOT get along.

Basically, if it makes you shed unreasonably, skip it. You don't need that. It doesn't work for you. But do make sure that you're actually shedding more, not just losing hair during the oiling that you would otherwise lose during your shower.
Thanks! I would have googled that, but I was so tired while writing this that I just flopped into bed right after posting. :(
I think it might help if I brush out my hair really well and remove any loose hair that's already fallen out. Maybe that's what it is @_@

Mine does that too. Funnily enough, my scalp eventually adjusts to oiling and the shedding slows down after several weeks of regular oiling. That's just me though- if I were you I'd give it a break, if you are worried.
For me its conditioner; I lost at least an inch off my circumference in 8months of CO *weeps*. Its a shame, as my hair loved it. Life would be so much easier if my scalp and hair had the same tastes.I had no problem with this when I was doing it more frequently earlier this year :O Aww that sucks!

Two days ago I did a coconut oil treatment and today I noticed lots of breakage on the top of my head. It looks way shinier, but it has so much breakage ): I'm no sure why does this happens, really. Something I do is putting aloe vera in my hair, it's not greasy at all and it makes my hair look healthier.
I've read that coconut oil can result in loose hair breaking off... Or something like that :O

Anyways, I'd like to note that I used it on my WHOLE head of hair+scalp... I start with the ends then put straight castor on my scalp. Maybe I should do my scalp first, because that's what I did in the past but this time I started it backwards on accident. I know that once the oil is on the hair and gets heavy, it's probably not good to mess with the root area D:

Silverbrumby
June 23rd, 2015, 09:53 PM
Oil on scalp = massive shedding. Also stretching washes = increased shedding. Conditioner on scalp = shedding. In other words my hair likes a clean scalp. Good luck with this and I hope it slows down.

gthlvrmx
June 23rd, 2015, 09:56 PM
I've read that coconut oil can result in loose hair breaking off... Or something like that :O

Do you mean that you read that shedded hair breaks in the middle of the strand or that your individual hair strands shed out with coconut oil? Or do you mean that hair worn "loose" breaks off with coconut oil?

AmethystLily
June 23rd, 2015, 09:57 PM
My hair likes argan oil and coconut oil, but I can't have any type of oil or grease put on my scalp or it starts to itch. I have to be careful while sealing the ends, because I wear my hair up most of the time. If too much gets on my scalp... well again, itches galore.

pailin
June 23rd, 2015, 10:40 PM
I find I shed a lot when oiling my scalp, but I always assumed it was really a matter of pulling/ mechanical damage, not the oil itself

Alien Girl
June 24th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Do you mean that you read that shedded hair breaks in the middle of the strand or that your individual hair strands shed out with coconut oil? Or do you mean that hair worn "loose" breaks off with coconut oil?I read that it kind of helped already loose hair come out :O Not 100% sure about the credibility though!

I find I shed a lot when oiling my scalp, but I always assumed it was really a matter of pulling/ mechanical damage, not the oil itself
That's what I'm starting to think now! I think I'll be extra gentle from now on :/

Miss P
June 24th, 2015, 06:07 AM
I use castor oil on my scalp and coconut oil on my lengths and I've noticed that the amount of hairs that come out has decreased over time, so maybe your scalp needs time to get used to it?

Theobroma
June 24th, 2015, 07:46 AM
Oil on my scalp => CONTINENTAL SHED FROM EUROPE TO ASIA!!! :D
Never again.

Yup, me too.

Same applies for conditioner. I think it's my scalp's way of saying "I like being dry. I don't produce much sebum because I like being dry. Take a hint and don't grease me up against my will, or you'll very soon be seeing rather more of me than you want to!"

Let's just say that I took the hint... eventually. Now all I have to do is wait for three or four more years for my length to recover from losing 40% of my thickness to CO washing before I realised what the problem was. As Lapushka said, some scalps just won't tolerate oil or conditioner... and they will not get used to it if you keep doing it.

wilderwein
June 24th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Yup, me too.

Same applies for conditioner. I think it's my scalp's way of saying "I like being dry. I don't produce much sebum because I like being dry. Take a hint and don't grease me up against my will, or you'll very soon be seeing rather more of me than you want to!"

Let's just say that I took the hint... eventually. Now all I have to do is wait for three or four more years for my length to recover from losing 40% of my thickness to CO washing before I realised what the problem was. As Lapushka said, some scalps just won't tolerate oil or conditioner... and they will not get used to it if you keep doing it.

Thanks god I was lucky enough to quit CO washing 2 weeks after I started it and noticed excessive shedding! Seems that many people have this problem, and I believe there should be a caution thing when this method is beeing suggested!

heidi w.
June 24th, 2015, 09:08 AM
I never recommend Castor Oil. I simply don't use it, and never on my scalp. I only oil the length of my hair with Coconut Oil. Scrape a little off the top via your fingernail and smear it in the palm of your hand. Rub your hands together, and then apply each hand to the topside and underside of hair and slide down your already detangled hair. Coconut Oil works wonders. Don't get Coconut Oil from the grocery store. Go to the beauty section of a Whole Foods store and get Coconut Oil from Spectrum Natural which is designed for use on hair and skin, specifically. You can also request the store to order it. It costs around $5 or $6 dollars, not too expensive. If you want to scent the coconut oil (this Coconut Oil has no aroma) just put a few drops of lavender oil, ylang ylang oil, or grapefruit oil in the palm of your hand along with the coconut oil and downstroke it into your hair length. Do not apply oil to the scalp at all.

You only need rather a little bit of oil to go a long way. It rinses out easily. Still use conditioner as oil doesn't replace conditioner.

I wish you the best, and sorry to hear of your hair loss.
Heidi w.

truepeacenik
June 24th, 2015, 09:29 AM
I have to ask...what the difference between coconut sold in the food section and coconut sold in the beauty section, if it is all 100 percent? Filtering? Quality?

jeanniet
June 24th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I have to ask...what the difference between coconut sold in the food section and coconut sold in the beauty section, if it is all 100 percent? Filtering? Quality?

There isn't any. It's all the same. The only difference is if its something like Monoi with a fragrance added. Spectrum is cooking oil (or hair, or whatever). Trader Joes has coconut oil, too, and a lot of other places, but it's all the same. Refined CO is a bit different cooking-wise, but that's about it.

flickm
June 24th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil supposedly contains more nutrients. It certainly tastes better.