PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your long hair is in a big knot and you have to rush to work?

Sweetalexandria
June 23rd, 2015, 04:47 AM
I think these are the times I have got furious with my own hair, actually wanting to cut it all off just right that moment with a pair of scissors and give up on long hair.

I have wavy, thick long hair that has a lot of friction and can easily get into a knot, people with fine, silky hair are so lucky! :p. Once I just had a busy day and I had to rush to work but my hair was in a big knot, it looked terrible that I thought to myself I can't go into work with my hair looking like a birds nest lol, so I was sweating and just had to disguise the knot as best I could:(.

I am just wondering, any useful emergency fixes for tangled hair when you are in a hurry?

Nini
June 23rd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Well, this fine and silky hair tangles if I just think about it, so... ;)

I'd just throw it up with a Ficcare Max and call it a messy bun.

Chromis
June 23rd, 2015, 05:26 AM
Yep, messy bun to the rescue!

I don't get tangles very often now though. Nightly braiding, not piling my hair on my head, and learning fun updos have dramatically reduced tangles for me. Before it didn't matter how much conditioner and anti-tangle stuff I used!

Seeshami
June 23rd, 2015, 05:42 AM
My sleep bun with a claw clip. I get very tangly at my demarcation line for my bleach which is around shoulder length. I pull it to high pony level and then just wrap it around it's self in cinnabun style but no twisting. Then i claw clip it on the top or claw clip it both sides.

It looks floofy and sort of intentional messy and you can't tell its knots making the mess.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2015, 05:59 AM
Prevention trumps cure, that's for sure! I agree with messy bun. I find that a bun holds better if I don't comb my hair out first anyway.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2015, 06:19 AM
If I use conditioners without silicones, that don't give me "moisture", I get knots & tangles. That's why I try and use good stuff and lots of moisture on my hair, even adding the rinse-out oil method and the LOC method to it. Just to smooth and slick the hair lots. It helps... or I wouldn't be using it.

Anje
June 23rd, 2015, 06:19 AM
Yep, messy bun and prevention.

My hair knots up readily, though less than it used to. Sleeping in a satin bonnet makes an unreal difference in tangles the next morning for me, but even putting it in a quick braid before bed helps. But tangles are why I generally keep my hair contained if I can't give it some attention every hour or two to keep the snarls from building up.

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
I'm such a slob - my answer would be: be late for work!

Carolyn
June 23rd, 2015, 07:37 AM
I always resort to a messy bun or a claw clip updo. I never would consider short hair as a fix. Short (as in hair above arm pit length) would take me much longer to deal with. Plus I would be miserable. I would get up earlier if this was a continuing problem.

endlessly
June 23rd, 2015, 09:31 AM
When I used to sleep with my hair loose, I had this problem all the time and that's the reason I now just sleep in braids - no tangles in the morning, plus I get killer waves that look as if I've spent an hour crimping my hair, so it's basically a win-win. However, at the time, I used to throw in some leave-in conditioner and try to detangle on the way to work, then just clip it up and out of the way, and try to deal with it when I had a break. Typically, by the time I was able to be patient and coax it out of the knot, it had pretty much worked itself loose because of the leave-in I had applied earlier in the day. No matter what you do, though, don't rush to yank a comb or brush through it, though. And, like some had mentioned, prevention is key. Try to keep it up and out of the way or braided and held back, it really helps save your hair and prevent stress.

Amapola
June 23rd, 2015, 10:22 AM
Keep in mind: I work for myself, so I can look as messy as I want and not get fired. :lol: Anyway my fix is spin pins and a great big scarf.

But I basically practice prevention now. My thin fine silky hair tangles with a vengeance if it is off on its own for even a second. I don't dare walk outside with it down and loose. That would be the end of my long hair. So instead I am always wearing a Ficcare or I have it in a braid etc.

woolyleprechaun
June 23rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
I've always just put it up as normal, and called it 'boho' (more hobo than boho, in all fairness). Sometimes I would pop some oil on the worst of it, just to make the later detangling easier...

Hairkay
June 23rd, 2015, 12:09 PM
I'm with the prevention ladies or I'd just quickly detangle in the shower and tie my hair back. These curls are naturally messy anyway.