PDA

View Full Version : mad growth

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 01:34 AM
I don't know what to attribute it to, but my hair has grown like crazy in the last two months. This isn't very accurate as I didn't have a pic from behind for the first image, so I've had to try to mimic the same pose for the second image - but, if anything, my head is more tilted forward in the first. The first picture was taken on 29th April this year and the second was taken today. So is it the peppermint essential oil; the horn comb; not using a hair dryer; the shampoo bar; the inversion method? The last two I've only been doing for a week. My hair has gone from shoulder length to armpit length in under two months Hooray!!!

http://m4.i.pbase.com/o9/78/646978/1/160518554.j8Dl1AAd.IMG_1123.JPG

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o9/78/646978/1/160518555.3Skh2gqt.IMG_1217.JPG

-Fern
June 23rd, 2015, 06:04 AM
I would say that due to the angle of the photos, it's a very unreliable guide. Average hair growth is about half an inch a month. The general LHC method of measuring your hair is to use a soft tape measure (they are usually available in $3 sewing kits), with the zero starting at your front hairline and the tape measure hanging behind you. Measure at the end of your length.

Most likely explanation for the growth is that it was a seasonal spurt. In the spring, I average an inch of growth every month. Now that it's summer, my growth is slowing down again.

luxurioushair
June 23rd, 2015, 06:21 AM
Aww, don't rain on our sister's parade. I think it's pretty obvious that in the before pic, her hair is thin/weaker. Then in the "after" pic it looks absolutely amazing. Shiny, thicker, stronger and evem the color.is brighter. I think growth is about thickness not just length, and it's like her hair has made a miraculous recovery. Congrats.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2015, 06:22 AM
I would say that due to the angle of the photos, it's a very unreliable guide. Average hair growth is about half an inch a month. The general LHC method of measuring your hair is to use a soft tape measure (they are usually available in $3 sewing kits), with the zero starting at your front hairline and the tape measure hanging behind you. Measure at the end of your length.

Most likely explanation for the growth is that it was a seasonal spurt. In the spring, I average an inch of growth every month. Now that it's summer, my growth is slowing down again.

I agree with -Fern, the only *sure* way is to measure. :)

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 06:37 AM
Thank you people. It IS longer. it was cut to shoulder length. It is now APL, measuring using a towel wrapped round me and with my head straight. I maybe should have measured it in April. If i'd known i was going to get wrapped up in the obsession here for keeping track of hair growth and condition, i would have (I'm rubbish at selfies from the rear BTW). Alas, having no starting point in inches, the only way I could track it was by trying to duplicate the posture in the first pic. Not very successfully, i will agree, but my hair is definitely a lot longer than it was two months ago - significantly longer than I'm used to experiencing in the time. Also it's growing faster than it was even last month - though my hair does tend to grow fast in summer.

Thank you luxurious hair for your support :) As you say, it's also thicker.

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 06:38 AM
Thank you people. It IS longer. it was cut to shoulder length. It is now APL, measuring using a towel wrapped round me and with my head straight. I maybe should have measured it in April. If i'd known i was going to get wrapped up in the obsession here for keeping track of hair growth and condition, i would have (I'm rubbish at selfies from the rear BTW). Alas, having no starting point in inches, the only way I could track it was by trying to duplicate the posture in the first pic. Not very successfully, i will agree, but my hair is definitely a lot longer than it was two months ago - significantly longer than I'm used to experiencing in the time. Also it's growing faster than it was even last month - though my hair does tend to grow fast in summer.

luxurioushair
June 23rd, 2015, 06:53 AM

It's quite remarkable for your hair to have a complete turnaround in such a short space of time. I'll guess and say the oil, the new comb and avoiding the dryer might've done it? I am also trying to figure out how my own hair grew faster in the past month. I mad several changes like you and it's going to take some experimenting to figure out what made the biggest difference. Have fun experimenting~

spidermom
June 23rd, 2015, 06:53 AM
Every once in awhile, my hair has a turbo-grow phase; I love it. Right now I think it's just half-inching along at an average rate ... sigh. You're lucky!

luxurioushair
June 23rd, 2015, 06:54 AM
I think I can't edit my posts since I'm a new member? Sigh I can't get over my typos in the above posts...

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 07:03 AM
Every once in awhile, my hair has a turbo-grow phase; I love it. Right now I think it's just half-inching along at an average rate ... sigh. You're lucky!

I'm certainly enjoying this. I hope the inversion method works. it seems improbable, but so many people swear it does.

It's quite remarkable for your hair to have a complete turnaround in such a short space of time. I'll guess and say the oil, the new comb and avoiding the dryer might've done it? I am also trying to figure out how my own hair grew faster in the past month. I mad several changes like you and it's going to take some experimenting to figure out what made the biggest difference. Have fun experimenting~I think I can't edit my posts since I'm a new member? Sigh I can't get over my typos in the above posts...

I tend to be quite sceptical, but loads of people have remarked how fast it's recovered from it's drastic BSL to shoulder trim.
On the subject of editing, i know what you mean. I ALWAYS have to go back and edit. Also there is no facility for deleting posts - which is a pain when the site throws up a double post as it did for me higher up the thread.

lapushka
June 23rd, 2015, 07:06 AM
Growth spurts are awesome. Some even defy the measuring tape. :lol: It's always good to measure though. I don't measure the total length of my hair, my hair gets measured next to milestones, like so much off until APL, classic or so. It's a great motivator that way!

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 07:23 AM
Growth spurts are awesome. Some even defy the measuring tape. :lol: It's always good to measure though. I don't measure the total length of my hair, my hair gets measured next to milestones, like so much off until APL, classic or so. It's a great motivator that way!

Ah, yes, with the wisdom of hindsight i would have measured. I wish I'd also photographed my starting point - but i was so regretful at chopping so much off at the time that i didn't take pics. But my hair grows quite fast in summer anyway, so i would have expected to be back to BSL or thereabouts by autumn. If it keeps up this rate, it will be longer. fingers crossed ;)

LongCurlyTress
June 23rd, 2015, 07:28 AM

I agree completely Lapushka! :cheese: Some say negative things about measuring, it is inaccurate, curls/waves vary and eat up the length) but I do it twice a month just since hair grows so slowly, even a 1/4 inch growth in only a small section is motivating! Totally agree with you!! ;)

Anje
June 23rd, 2015, 09:56 AM
I can't tell how much longer it is from the picture, but it clearly is. And you've been hennaing, so you can tell how crazy your roots have been. :)

I'm glad it's sprinting along for you right now. No idea what's causing it (mine's gone on wild sprints before too, for unknown reasons), but enjoy it!

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM
I can't tell how much longer it is from the picture, but it clearly is. And you've been hennaing, so you can tell how crazy your roots have been. :)

I'm glad it's sprinting along for you right now. No idea what's causing it (mine's gone on wild sprints before too, for unknown reasons), but enjoy it!

Thank you Anje. Yes, my roots keep appearing weekly. I'm getting through henna like there's no tomorrow! It would be nice to know something like the peppermint oil is responsible, but who knows...

Squiggy
June 23rd, 2015, 10:17 AM
Hooray for growth spurts! Your hair looks much thicker and healthier in the second picture! It's just amazing what a few months of good treatment can do for hair. Congrats, and hopefully the spurt will continue!

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 10:35 AM
Hooray for growth spurts! Your hair looks much thicker and healthier in the second picture! It's just amazing what a few months of good treatment can do for hair. Congrats, and hopefully the spurt will continue!

Thank you Squiggly. Yes, it has thickened up, as well as growing. I'm amazed at how fast. Your hair is gorgeous.

bonbon58
June 23rd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Yay for super fast growth!! :cheer: Can you share tips for using peppermint oil? How do you use it on your scalp?

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 11:56 AM
Yay for super fast growth!! :cheer: Can you share tips for using peppermint oil? How do you use it on your scalp?

Yes, i use a vinegar rinse after washing, and put about five drops of peppermint oil in it. But you can massage the oil into your scalp, diluted with a carrier oil, or just add it to water. There is a thread on it, probably on page two of the Mane forum by now, where I got the info.

Ah, no I think it was in recipes, henna and herbal hair care forum, but I cant find it.

Wusel
June 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
I guess it's the IM,
Like for me. My hair had a growth spurt after doing this only one week.
OMHO your hair definitely looks MUCH longer and thicker. Amazing.

flickm
June 23rd, 2015, 02:10 PM
I guess it's the IM,
Like for me. My hair had a growth spurt after doing this only one week.
OMHO your hair definitely looks MUCH longer and thicker. Amazing.

Did you continue with the inversion method? If so, did the growth continue? Or Was it only the once that it worked? And thank you :)