PDA

View Full Version : No more braided buns

Pierre
June 21st, 2015, 11:15 PM
Just popping in. Last Thursday I went looking for a property corner in what I thought was sparse pine forest, as is found elsewhere on the tract I'm surveying, but turned out to be steep, dense jungle. I left the ends loose so that I could thwap any flies that buzzed around my head. I had to adjust my hair twice while I was in the jungle. If I go surveying in woods with a braided bun, the twigs pick hairs out of the bun and I'm left with a mess, which I then have to unbraid and rebraid. If I have an unbraided bun, I just have to let it down and twist it up again. (I still wear one bun on each side.)

spidermom
June 22nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
Good point. I discovered something similar while wrapping lights around the Christmas tree last year.

yahirwaO.o
June 22nd, 2015, 07:02 PM
Oh yes, braided buns are a bit problem to me. Redoing isnt that handy and when it holds well sometimes I end up with some sore scalp.

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Oh yes, braided buns are a bit problem to me. Redoing isnt that handy and when it holds well sometimes I end up with some sore scalp.

Do you know why that happens to your scalp, yahirwaO.o? :) Is that because of a tighter hold a braided bun provides compared to its unbraided version?

yahirwaO.o
June 24th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Do you know why that happens to your scalp, yahirwaO.o? :) Is that because of a tighter hold a braided bun provides compared to its unbraided version?

You alread answered meteor. Braided buns are like solid rocks, my scalp is on the tender side (fanstic right) and the only way making it semi comfotable, is by using u shaped or hair pins. Any type of hairstick or fork or even my handy scrunchie hurts bad at the end of the day. Same goes for any type of high bun or top knots. Low unbraided ones with my scrunchie never hurts and I can wear it wo days staight with no problem. Forks are ok for a cupple of hours and sticks hold like for 5 minutes even braided lol.

calmyogi
June 24th, 2015, 05:52 PM
*sighs* I can't wait until the day my hair is long enough to have these problems lol. I can't really do a braided bun yet.

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 05:56 PM
^ Oh, I see. Thank you, yahirwaO.o! :flower:

I wonder if making it much, much looser than a non-braided bun could help... But if not, just avoiding braided buns altogether is probably best.

For me, personally, I can't even do any unbraided buns (unfortunately!), because my hair somehow slips out or explodes without first being "corralled" by a braid or two. I sure hope I'm not accumulating damage this way! :scared:

The only other ways for a solid hold would be to twist hair very tightly or to ponytail it before bunning... and I don't think it's not the most hair-friendly approach either... :( Oh well...

gthlvrmx
June 24th, 2015, 06:09 PM

I wonder if making it much, much looser than a non-braided bun could help... But if not, just avoiding braided buns altogether is probably best.

For me, personally, I can't even do any unbraided buns (unfortunately!), because my hair somehow slips out or explodes without first being "corralled" by a braid or two. I sure hope I'm not accumulating damage this way! :scared:

The only other ways for a solid hold would be to twist hair very tightly or to ponytail it before bunning... and I don't think it's not the most hair-friendly approach either... :( Oh well...

Have you tried bunning the unbraided hair in sections? (Like top, middle, bottom?) Maybe some spin pins could catch more hair so that your buns stay in place. Braided buns seem to work great with spin pins.
For Pierre, maybe having a braided up do that lays close to the scalp would work? Like a crown braid or some sort of French braid? That way you can still make braids and have fun while outdoors.

meteor
June 24th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Have you tried bunning the unbraided hair in sections? (Like top, middle, bottom?) Maybe some spin pins could catch more hair so that your buns stay in place. Braided buns seem to work great with spin pins.

Oh yes, you are absolutely right! :agree: Sectioned buns do work too, and the same goes to multiple buns. I think both sectioning and braiding provide that extra control. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, gthlvrmx! :D

Back to Pierre's original post, could it be just that fuzziness (a.k.a. "braid shred") that happens with any braids over time... In a dense forest, there are just a lot of branches and leaves for hair in braided "knobs" to snag on... but that fuzziness doesn't mean damage, I hope. I think it's kind of how if you wear hair loose or in a ponytail for a day, it can look pretty neat (despite getting some tangles), but if that same hair were braided for the day, it would get fuzzy-looking, no? :hmm:

yahirwaO.o
June 24th, 2015, 09:54 PM

I think Id like to give up at all buns in general! LOL I just like and prefer my hair down, still every once in a while a bun is perfect for some ocaccions (lazy days, cleaning, wind)

....and for lovely and thick long hair like yours, like gthlvrmx said, sectioning and then braiding can work for you... If my hair was thicker and not so dark, believe I would go for it!!

Yes I agree that hair fuzziness poppin out of braid even happens to my super straight hair!

By the way, I like how you reply to us Meteor it is quite charming!!! :o