PDA

View Full Version : 22 months and no split ends?

M.McDonough
June 21st, 2015, 12:14 PM
Okay so a few days ago, I had my mother check my hair for split ends. She said no you don't have split ends. This doesn't sound right because I only trimmed my hair once in 22 months. Have they traveled up or something? I'm confused and worried..Nonetheless, I think my hair looks fine

http://i.imgur.com/AbeP3aB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tHcmfm8.jpg

Lucy Elizabeth
June 21st, 2015, 12:17 PM
Wow!
You must have really healthy hair :applause

I'm pretty sure when splits travel up the whole strand of hair that is affected is split, including the ends.

If you aren't sure do an S&D yourself!

Nique1202
June 21st, 2015, 12:43 PM
Not all hair splits under duress, and not all hair splits if it's not trimmed within a certain period of time. There are plenty of people around the forum who don't trim ever, they just snip off individual split or damaged ends that they find. For hair above apl, if you haven't been damaging it a lot with daily ponytail holder use, dye, rough brushing/combing, heat styling, etc. then it's not surprising at all that you'd have few or no split ends. Your hair hasn't had but those two years to accumulate damage anyway, that short, and there's hardly a need to trim unless you're growing out old damage or you want to even up the back while growing out a pixie.

lapushka
June 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM
My hair grew from BSL back to almost classic now, that's about 2 years, and I have no splits either. It means you're doing something right. I tend to moisturize well, *very* well in fact, and to me, it helps.

meteor
June 21st, 2015, 01:16 PM
Not all hair splits under duress, and not all hair splits if it's not trimmed within a certain period of time. There are plenty of people around the forum who don't trim ever, they just snip off individual split or damaged ends that they find. For hair above apl, if you haven't been damaging it a lot with daily ponytail holder use, dye, rough brushing/combing, heat styling, etc. then it's not surprising at all that you'd have few or no split ends. Your hair hasn't had but those two years to accumulate damage anyway, that short, and there's hardly a need to trim unless you're growing out old damage or you want to even up the back while growing out a pixie.

I agree. :agree:
I think not having any splits while doing no trims and no S&D means you have a routine that matches your hair's needs pretty well, at least prevents damage. Great job! :thumbsup: Congratulations! :D

And you've got such beautiful curls, by the way! :D

Shepherdess
June 21st, 2015, 01:40 PM
Your hair is stunning and that is wonderful that she did not find any split ends. As others said, you must be doing something right for your hair and it looks very healthy! I wish that my hair was free of split ends, but I seem to have never ending trouble with the little splits (hopefully the new scissors I ordered will be better, I suspect my old ones caused my current splits). Thanks for sharing and once again, your hair is so beautiful! :)

Anje
June 21st, 2015, 01:59 PM
Not everyone's hair splits, especially with good care.

Frankly, I'm envious! Mine splits pretty easily.

Sterlyn
June 21st, 2015, 02:06 PM
The last trim for me was July 2014, I've looked and I have yet to find a split end. :)

elsieivy
June 21st, 2015, 02:20 PM

I agree. Hair type, treatment of the hair, old damage, and the age of the hair all impact if and when your hair will split. I do get splits but they don't tend to show up until my hair is bsl or longer. It's totally possible that you just don't have any split ends.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 21st, 2015, 02:37 PM
Well, some hair just doesn't get many splits. I have grown from just below shoulder to TBL+ and have only found about 3 splits so far. I do keep my hair really well moisturized and I'm sure that helps - plus always wearing it up in protective styles.

I do remember when I had WL hair in my teens and used to rip brushes through my hair, I had plenty of split ends. And didn't care.

M.McDonough
June 21st, 2015, 03:19 PM
Thank you, guys!

M.McDonough
June 21st, 2015, 03:20 PM
Not everyone's hair splits, especially with good care.

Frankly, I'm envious! Mine splits pretty easily.

Envious? Seriously you could tell there aren't any splits by looking at my pictures? :)

DreamSheep
June 21st, 2015, 03:22 PM
Not all hair splits :) If it is Coarse / worn up a lot, it is less likely to split.
I found that mine barely split (even with infrequent trims) when it was "short" (above BSL) because it got caught on fewer things.
Now unfortunately splits appear all the time, but such is the way of fine hair :p

Either way - congrats! It is one thing less to worry about, and your hair is beautiful :)

luxurioushair
June 23rd, 2015, 04:59 PM
I saw a curly girl on Youtube saying that if you don't use heat/dye on your hair, you will get almost no split ends. Maybe that's why you have none :)

Deborah
June 23rd, 2015, 10:30 PM
I don't get splits either. My hair is very fine textured (think toddler hair, just lots more of it), it has never been colored in any way, I wash once a week, and don't use any heat. Maybe those things help, but I don't really know. I think it is probably just genetic.

axonal
June 23rd, 2015, 10:49 PM
Crazy coincidence M.McDonough--I'm in the same situation! I'm also at 22 months no trims (last trim late August 2013) and have never found a split end. I was worried that I was just clueless and missing them, but I'm glad to know that it might be normal.

BoopBoop1
June 23rd, 2015, 10:50 PM
That's literally awesome ._. I always have to cut my ends because of split ends.

M.McDonough
June 25th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I saw a curly girl on Youtube saying that if you don't use heat/dye on your hair, you will get almost no split ends. Maybe that's why you have none :)

Yeah :) No heat for me anymore. I used to straight my hair twice a week or something but that was before I learned to love my natural hair texture.

bte
June 25th, 2015, 10:12 AM
You are doing well! Keep up the growing and keep looking, but all the time there are no visible splits, benign neglect ounds perfect for you.

picklepie
June 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM
It took five years for me to start seeing splits on my fine, curly hair. Even now I have very few, and only on the most sun-bleached ends.