PDA

View Full Version : Minimize braid hair damage from hair ties

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 06:25 AM
So many members have that issue including me. So far the only solution that worked for my hair is the following (I dont know tho if it works for thicker hair)
What you'll need is some soft tights preferably close to your hair color.
1. Cut some stripes like that
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/RSnI4L7ojybs1pdcuh-J1Uy8v_SIMluMUMcYWHWxKdE=w300-h400-no
also at that point you can infusion them with some oil or conditioner

2. On your hair, tie them like that
- make a loop (pretend that the pen is the braid):
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3vQY3-eOsagv_RpP9HW8B0y9HFEoNvvZW0_pjO26IXI=w300-h400-no

- And then gently pull the ends of the stripe to tighten it:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/lEduODpcI1QDmopgAxhDC8m77LyChav2UcjaIfpQ-SA=w300-h400-no

3. When it comes to take it off, don't just pull it, but loosen the loop that holds the two ends and take it off.

It works quite well for me, and so far is the only method that I feel that doesnt accidentally pull-break hair (couse you can control the tightens and the way you take it off), hopefully it works for you too ^_^

Auni
June 20th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Very cool idea! I'd like to get a bunch of colors for it! Thank for sharing!

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Auni now I want a bunch of colors too hahaha I never thought of that possibility! Were could I find colorfull tights?

Arctic
June 20th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Photos are not showing up for me. :(

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Photos are not showing up for me. :(

Oh! Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to fix them ^^

What about now?

Arctic
June 20th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Yes, now they are visible! I like that idea, so simple yet I've never thought of it :D Thank you for sharing!

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Yes, now they are visible! I like that idea, so simple yet I've never thought of it :D Thank you for sharing!

Hope it'll work for you ^^

Shepherdess
June 20th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Are those from Loop n loom bands? They look like them, so I thought I'd ask. :) I currently use loop n loom bands and they work well for me, but never tried this way. :)

Edit: I just read over and realize you said tights, never thought of doing that before, thanks for sharing!

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Shepherdess hahaha I'm a cheap person, aren't I? 8) If you're gonna try it don't forget to conditon or oil them

meteor
June 20th, 2015, 02:57 PM
What an excellent idea, wilderwein! :thumbsup:
The two ends can even be tied together for an even tighter hold for super-slippery hair.
Does it hold well by the end of the day and with activity/sports?

If you're gonna try it don't forget to conditon or oil them
Good to know! :thumbsup: And why is it better for the tie be conditioned/oiled? :) Can it snag on hair or something?

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 03:19 PM
meteor On my hair it holds as well as any hair elastic (I have thinner hair tho)
The conditioner and the oil just makes the material smoother so there is even less possibilities for any hair friction. As about snagging, the amazing thing it's that I never experienced any kind of snagging, I mean even with hair sticks I had mini "accidents", but with this way I have zero problems and I can wear braids more often ^^

meteor
June 20th, 2015, 03:35 PM
^ Yay! :D That's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this method and all the details, wilderwein! Must try! ;)

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 03:41 PM
^ Yay! :D That's awesome! Thanks so much for sharing this method and all the details, wilderwein! Must try! ;)

My pleasure meteor <3 Hopefully it will work for you too guys ^^

DKSABS
June 20th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I've bought colored tights from Amazon to wear with my dresses.

BoopBoop1
June 20th, 2015, 04:26 PM
This is awesome :D Weeks ago I was thinking about how could I avoid using hair ties because they pulled a lot of hair out. Thank you so much!

wilderwein
June 20th, 2015, 04:56 PM
DKSABS Gosh amazon has everything! Thank you very much :flower:

BoopBoop1 I had exactly the same problem!!! Let me know if it holds well on your hair too ^^

Lucy Elizabeth
June 20th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Oooh! Thank you for the tip I will have to try this out sometime!

Haha I'm the queen of braids so I'm terrified to imagine the amount of braid damage I have accumulated overtime :tmi:

wilderwein
June 21st, 2015, 04:17 AM
Oooh! Thank you for the tip I will have to try this out sometime!

Haha I'm the queen of braids so I'm terrified to imagine the amount of braid damage I have accumulated overtime :tmi:

Same here!!! Also you probably already do that, but try to change the position of the hair ties/elasistcs/strips

BoopBoop1
July 2nd, 2015, 07:23 PM
Wilderwin !! I tried it but it's a little bit hard to hold my hair with that specific loop ): I tried another one and now it is perfect! :) Again, thank you <3 !

wilderwein
July 3rd, 2015, 05:18 AM
Oh I'm so glad!!! Can you share your loop method?:pray: *stealing ideas mode :lol:*

Arctic
July 3rd, 2015, 05:25 AM
I've been testing this for ponytails (which I wear rarely if ever, but you know, for science's sake :D ). I like it. I do need to tie a knot over the loop, but I still feel it's more hair friendly than an elastic. I have used a silky ribbon material, so it's not the same as pantyhose material, that probably explains the need for a knot. (I haven't oiled it either, because my scalp/skin can't take oils.) I still need to test it for braid ends.

wilderwein
July 3rd, 2015, 05:33 AM
Arctic wow on a ponytail??? Those are some serious skills!
Now I have to try it

Arctic
July 3rd, 2015, 05:53 AM
I used a bobby pin trick too, in addition to the ribbon, I should have mentioned that too but forgot. I learned it from pinterest. You use 1-2 bobby pins (maybe inserted in X shape) to pin one strand of the ribbon to your scalp hair, so that you insert the bobby pin from above the ponytail and it comes out from under the ponytail, between the ribbon and scalp hair, catching both 1 strand of ribbon and scalp hair inside the bobby pin. This helps the pony stay perk for a long time. I don't know how other people feel about bobby pins, but I never have noticed them damaging, so I feel this method is still more hair friendly than an elastic.

For a low ponytail I think I wouldn't need the bobby pin trick, but for the higher ones it's handy. :)

Anyway, thank you for sharing this method, I bet I get it to work on braid ends too!

wilderwein
July 3rd, 2015, 05:58 AM
Thats actually genious! Since I have problems with the ponytail staying in its original position, the bobby pins will actually keep it in place! Thanks a bunch!

BoopBoop1
July 3rd, 2015, 11:50 PM
Oh I'm so glad!!! Can you share your loop method?:pray: *stealing ideas mode :lol:*

Sure xd I made it the same way you "do" your shoes, but really really carefully. (If I don't explain myself please tell me,hahaha)

wilderwein
July 4th, 2015, 03:58 AM
Sure xd I made it the same way you "do" your shoes, but really really carefully. (If I don't explain myself please tell me,hahaha)

Noooo I totally got it ^^ And you can undo it quite easily right?

lapushka
July 4th, 2015, 06:15 AM
You can still tie a knot after looping. Maybe that'll make it stay as well.

wilderwein
July 4th, 2015, 06:25 AM
You can still tie a knot after looping. Maybe that'll make it stay as well.

Thats another great option too :thumbsup:

BoopBoop1
July 4th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Noooo I totally got it ^^ And you can undo it quite easily right?

Yeah :D you just have to pull and end and that's it :)

wilderwein
July 4th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Yeah :D you just have to pull and end and that's it :)

Greaaat! Yay for damage-free ways to tie braids :hifive:

BoopBoop1
July 9th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Greaaat! Yay for damage-free ways to tie braids :hifive:

You can also secure them with a pin o:! I'm not sure if that way to do it is famous or not, but I saw it in a friend's hair and I thought it was great if you're not going to run or something similar.