PDA

View Full Version : 2-Cycle LWB

Wildcat Diva
June 19th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Not sure I have seen this variant before but it just finally made sense to try. Once I finish the first wraps of fingers and thumb, I just keep going and wrap my fingers and thumb again before tucking my hair under.

Length of my hair is past hip. I'm a ii, 3 inch circumference. I bet this will work on only ii or less. That or a super extreme long iii or higher only. Apologies if this is not a new variation, but I want to call this the ii cycle LWB variation as I think this best suits ii thickness or less. Please correct me if you have seen this done before.

I can can make a video tutorial in a week since my videographer is at summer camp all week.

ETA: video added here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7hrUS-q0o

Anyone else do this variant?

I find it is shaped better and holds better than the vanilla LWB for me.
http://imageshack.us/a/img673/4446/fv3nvA.jpg

sourgrl
June 19th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Would love to see an action shot of this variation :).

Wildcat Diva
June 19th, 2015, 08:23 PM
That's it with the flexi.

I can try another one. Here:
http://imageshack.us/a/img910/7526/mYROYK.jpg

I'm only wrapping two fingers by the way.

sourgrl
June 19th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Oo. Thank you, WD. I need to give this variation a try. It looks like it's less 'knobby' :)

AspenSong
June 19th, 2015, 08:37 PM
I've been doing this with mine too for a while, I just kind of figured if I could double wrap a Nautilus, I could double wrap a LW!

Wildcat Diva
June 19th, 2015, 08:54 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img540/5207/1bmfEy.jpg

I have to wrap three fingers for a fork.

Thank you, Aspensong! Do you like it better this way?

meteor
June 19th, 2015, 09:04 PM
I've been doing this with mine too for a while, I just kind of figured if I could double wrap a Nautilus, I could double wrap a LW!

I think I've double-wrapped LWB before, but I can't remember how stable it was for me... How do you double-wrap a nautilus though? :)

Wildcat Diva
June 19th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I wondered that also.

Ok, I got the kid to shoot a quick video before they go to bed before they leave for camp.

Uploading now.

ETA: here it is:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3y7hrUS-q0o

RainbowBowser
June 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Genius! Definitely going to try this variation.

starfire
June 20th, 2015, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the video. It made me realize I've been doing the (original) LWB wrong all along :P

Dragon Faery
June 20th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Nice! This is almost like Haartraum's version, where, if you read the tips and tricks in some blog post she had that coincided with her video, she mentions wrapping twice around her thumb. She doesn't wrap twice around her fingers, though, just the thumb. I can do the thumb part twice, but at my length (at a ii/iii thickness with lots of taper and brushing TBL) I would need another 6 inches before I can wrap around my fingers twice, too. I love the way your double-wrapped version looks, though! That gives me something to look forward to for when I finally get to Classic! :)

Wildcat Diva
June 20th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I had hated the LWB for its wonky look on me for so long; I'm excited to find some variations that solve my problems with it. Just knowing I can also make adjustments makes me realize that problem solving will help me to like this bun again. I did a nice one with a TT last night and I was able to show a lot more pretty of the stick than normal.

My hair is now several days post wash, so it buns better too at this stage than when it's wavy/poofier.

Wildcat Diva
December 26th, 2017, 07:11 PM
Totally forgot about this variant for a good while. It worked well in my today-washed hair that I had dried curly girl method style complete with gel and diffuser. It gripped better.

https://imageshack.com/a/img924/3020/V2BzBO.jpg

HaMalka
December 28th, 2017, 10:08 AM
"I'm a ii, 3 inch circumference. I bet this will work on only ii or less. That or a super extreme long iii or higher only."

Doing this version braided (I almost always wear braided buns) works on my almost ankle length iii hair, which probably counts as "super extreme long iii". I think that this is a comfortable variant. Thanks for sharing.

ETA: I love your hairsticks Wildcat Diva.

wispe
December 28th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Oh I used to do my LWBs like this all the time right after waist length - it sat really securely at hip. I think I just called it a double-wrapped LWB in my head. I would wrap first around my fingers/thumb, then the base, then back around the fingers/thumb, then the rest around the base. Mostly I alternated the wraps this way when I wanted more of my pink lengths to show, if I wanted it to hide more I'd do the first two wraps around my fingers/thumb before going around the base. I definitely liked doing a two-cycle LWB better than a regular one, because it just sat better and felt fuller, and if I remember right it held more securely. At that length my regular lwbs would start to loosen and spit out toys (especially sticks)

Mega Moose
December 30th, 2017, 05:06 PM
I tried this and can confirm that it holds better. I actually found it while searching for variants on the lwb because lately I'd had trouble with them all coming undone and I thought maybe I was doing it wrong somehow. I'll never do it another way again. :P

lucid
December 30th, 2017, 05:18 PM
It holds way better for me as well, and it also looks much better :D i haven't been able to get regular lwb to stay actually.

Wildcat Diva
December 30th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Glad it helped.

Thank you HaMalka.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. I think the idea of getting in a wrap around the stem in between the two “outside” wraps is an excellent idea as well if you have the length for it.

akurah
December 30th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Wow. I'm so dumb. brain went "LWB? Oh, let's try double wrapping it!" and guess what my hands auto-do? yeah, they do an l-finity. Past hip ii hair cannot double wrap an l-finity, btw, it's about four or five inches too short for that, but it is long enough to make two loops, just not enough to wrap at base to keep it from falling out. past classic might could.

I watched the video to figure it out...

Wildcat Diva
December 30th, 2017, 10:16 PM
You are not dumb. It’s challenging sometimes to watch videos or get instructions and translate it to action.

Wildcat Diva
February 8th, 2018, 10:26 PM
Oh I used to do my LWBs like this all the time right after waist length - it sat really securely at hip. I think I just called it a double-wrapped LWB in my head. I would wrap first around my fingers/thumb, then the base, then back around the fingers/thumb, then the rest around the base. Mostly I alternated the wraps this way when I wanted more of my pink lengths to show, if I wanted it to hide more I'd do the first two wraps around my fingers/thumb before going around the base. I definitely liked doing a two-cycle LWB better than a regular one, because it just sat better and felt fuller, and if I remember right it held more securely. At that length my regular lwbs would start to loosen and spit out toys (especially sticks)

Your technique REALLY helped me. Wrapping two fingers at first and then immediately bypassing the thumb and going straight for a “stem wrap” and then going back outside for a finger and then thumb wrap made the bun so much more stable and good looking. It shouldn’t have been this challenging that over five years to find true success with this bun, but I am glad that it is so solid now.

wispe
February 9th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Your technique REALLY helped me. Wrapping two fingers at first and then immediately bypassing the thumb and going straight for a “stem wrap” and then going back outside for a finger and then thumb wrap made the bun so much more stable and good looking. It shouldn’t have been this challenging that over five years to find true success with this bun, but I am glad that it is so solid now.

I totally stumbled into the technique myself so I'm very glad I shared, if it has helped anyone else! The first stem wrap sandwiched bwtween the two outer loops/wraps is, I think, what makes it so solid. When I started doing them this way it was because my hair was spitting regular lwbs out all the time and I was also struggling with speed. It ended up way quicker because wrapping my thin tassel a million times around the stem took so much winding, and it tangled occasionally that way. I am looking forward to growing back in to this style, I only wish I'd thought to film a video oe take some pictures before my cut.

MusicalSpoons
February 9th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I've been experimenting with this since I first came across this thread whilst lurking a few months ago. It's definitely more stable than an ordinary LWB with a hairstick, as the middles kept falling out with a single wrap. Actually also works with a 2-prong fork, 3-prong is pushing it (but nice and tight for a secure bun to wear around the house). I find my hair on different days behaves very differently for LWB and a nautilus bun, they're both far more variable styles than any others I do, so I haven't yet been able to consistently do these to hold all day. Ah well, it's fun trying :smile:

Ooh, and the wrap-stem-wrap technique does hold better for me too, for probably the same reason as wispe :)

PixieP
February 9th, 2018, 01:01 PM
I tried this, and I really like it! I rarely wear LWBs because I don't like how they look or feel. But this felt great! I gotta try wispe's tecnique too.

Wildcat Diva
March 18th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Still using the technique described in post #21.
It’s working so great!
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/1391/TTYpgg.jpg

cjk
March 18th, 2018, 08:40 PM
https://imageshack.com/a/img923/1391/TTYpgg.jpg

That is magnificent. Love the katanas.

FrayedFire
August 17th, 2019, 05:28 PM
I tried a variation of this on a 3 day old braid and it looks great.

MusicalSpoons
August 17th, 2019, 05:35 PM
So my previous response was not completely enthusiastic. A year and a half later, this is basically my go-to bun in any orientation with virtually any hairtoy (flexis work especially well) :grin: I mean I have worn it literally day in and day out for months on end, it's only the last month or so I've tried to switch it up a bit :lol:

enting
August 18th, 2019, 01:45 AM
I sometimes do this with whatever it is that is my go-to bun (I think it's a LWB, but it could be a nautilus). I'm at a length where I can go around once or twice before winding hair underneath, so often I do once, but twice definitely happens also.

I agree with comments upthread about it holding more firmly. Two wraps gives it less leeway to loosen. It also means I need to be more precise with how many fingers I wrap around because I won't be able to easily tease it wider afterwards.

Cg
August 18th, 2019, 09:16 AM
Based on your idea of double wrapping, I have double wrapped nearly every bun, and thank you for the idea. It makes a huge difference in the hold.

Entangled
August 18th, 2019, 08:54 PM
I’m still getting a weird knob at the base...any tips on eliminating it?

Wildcat Diva
August 19th, 2019, 09:54 PM
I would maybe have to see it. What it your method exactly, are you just doing two wraps of fingers and thumb? What about shaking things up by adding a stem wrap after the first cycle, or maybe add a stem wrap after the first fingers wrap only, then come back around after the stem wrap and do a thumb wrap?