PDA

View Full Version : Once a week Moisturizer, Please help!

MiamiPineapple
June 19th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Hello guys. I haven't been on in a while because I have a new job where I travel for work every week. As a result, my hair seems very dry. I have been using coconut oil but I don't think it's really working well for me. Can you guys recommend one thing other than coconut oil I can use that would really add some moisture to my hair? I really don't have time to use it more than once a week. It can be a deep conditioner or maybe a really good leave-in. I swear the airplane sucks the life out of everything including your hair! Thanks in advance!

Arctic
June 19th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Oils in general don't (literally) moisturise, as then don't contain any water. But they nourish and maybe help keep the moisture (water) inside the hair.

I use my regular, no protein, no silicone conditioner as a leave in and have been very happy with it. I can use it on wet or dry hair, add more when needed without my hair looking producty.

And since your hair is dry, you might also want to avoid proteins for now, as they can dry your hair even more.

SMTs (can be found from recipe section) are really nice for many people, really moisturizing. You could try those once a week.

Hmm, other than these, maybe some nice home made spritz. Something you could also mist on your face in the plain too.

lapushka
June 19th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Using your conditioner twice instead of once (leave each in for at least 2 min.) should mimic a deep conditioning treatment.

meteor
June 19th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Hello guys. I haven't been on in a while because I have a new job where I travel for work every week. As a result, my hair seems very dry. I have been using coconut oil but I don't think it's really working well for me. Can you guys recommend one thing other than coconut oil I can use that would really add some moisture to my hair? I really don't have time to use it more than once a week. It can be a deep conditioner or maybe a really good leave-in. I swear the airplane sucks the life out of everything including your hair! Thanks in advance!

The most "moisturizing" (occlusive) oil I've tried is mineral oil (baby oil). It seals moisture more effectively than plant oils for me. Alternatively, a good silicone serum should do the trick. Apply on wet/damp hair to "seal in" the moisture.

I second SMTs as conditioners, as well, because humectant-rich products help hair hold onto water well. For super-dry hair, it's nice to add a bit of oil into the SMT or do an oil rinse.

kidari
June 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
what works miracles for my dry ends: Kiberlily's defrizz spray, misting, damp bunning

I use camellia oil in mine (distilled water, aloe vera gel, camellia oil, glycerin) that's in the order from most to least ingredients-wise. I just fill up a 2 oz travel spray and every night I mist the ends lightly on dry hair and then roll it into a bun right away (or heat-free curls) and go to sleep. I'm thinking you could even do this during the middle of the day if you need to and the added bonus is when you put it down it's so moisturized, soft, and in long lasting beautiful curls or waves.

luxurioushair
June 23rd, 2015, 05:00 PM
Argan Oil is really the best, give it a try (after moisturizing your hair with water).

Aderyn
June 23rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
I've had really good luck with argan oil and Freya's hair salve from Nightblooming (on Etsy).. it's very nourishing and softens up the ends a lot. I wash my hair using the WCC method once a week, with a hair mask/deep conditioner as the last C and that leaves my hair quite moisturized.

Also, make sure you use a tiny, tiny amount of oil if you do use it on the ends. I use maybe 6-8 drops of argan oil for all of my hair (which is hip+ length and thicker). Measured from an eye dropper. Using more than that just leaves too much buildup and dry hair.

If dryness still persists, you may have buildup and may want to try clarifying?

gthlvrmx
June 23rd, 2015, 05:26 PM
Try using oil (my favorite is baby oil) on damp/wet hair after washing it. That should help retain more moisture in your hair. Oil on dry hair will make it harder for moisture to get through to your hair.

endlessly
June 23rd, 2015, 07:56 PM
My favorite hair moisturizer is a leave-in by Lush called "R&B". It's incredibly rich, so a little goes a long way, but it's packed full of different butters and oils, so it really deeply moisturizes hair and it can be used after your hair is washed or on dry hair to add more moisture. My favorite treatment of theirs is called "H'Suan Wen Hua" and while the smell is not the most pleasant, it makes my hair feel absolutely amazing - I tend to use this 1-2 times per month.

Nini
June 24th, 2015, 07:53 AM
Try going without the coconut oil first to see what happens. A good number of people on LHC get dry, crispy ends from coconut oil.

I generally don't use oils since my fine hair tend to get lanky from it. But a wee drop of camellia oil on dry ends work well whenever I remember to do it.

truepeacenik
June 24th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Would you be treating at home? If so humectants will rock. Not so much in, say, Denver.
The humidity needs to be high.

For something to pick up and use out of a container, I like Giovanni Nutrafix and Alba Hawaiian one minute deep conditioning masks. They make two, I don't have much preference.