PDA

View Full Version : I'm back!! (Also, any suggestions?)

AnqeIicDemise
June 19th, 2015, 12:37 AM
2014 was rough for me. I couldn't stand people and I pretty much went into hiding. Hence my absence.

With this funk, I got really, really, REALLY lazy in terms in of haircare.

I stopped writing my blog. I pretty much lived the year in a lazy bun and practiced benign neglect. I'd trim every three months or so, touch up the dip dye when I felt it was too orange and moved on. The truth is that Slayer holds the red really well but I pushed it far longer than necessary. Essentially, I was rolling out of bed and putting on dirty clothes, going to work and blah blah, blah. Wasn't taking care of myself in general.

But lately, I have.

I'm feeling better. I'm actively trying to do better, to live better. I am tired of crying myself to sleep, panic attacks and dealing with unnecessary BS. (Example: my mom's so self absorbed she hasn't realized that I've avoided having to interact with her for the last few months. Yes, yes my LHC friends, I've *finally* taken the advice and started to pull away.) I realized about a month ago that despite my sheer lack of care, Slayer of Things is inches away from classic.

But I wanted to chop it all off because you know, I was tired of the hum-drum of the lazy bun. I wanted something different. I have been, after all, changing parts of my life, why not my hair?

As any of you who have seen me around from years ago know, I am a red-head at heart. I like fun and funky colors but I keep going back to red. I also hate bleaching my hair because I always panic that I'll screw something up. I do it anyway, just .. I've only had the guts to do it for a few inches at a time, never the whole head. My dream of being a vibrant red head was never going to be a reality.

At least I thought so.

My friend and boss told me since I had virgin hair and it was so well taken care of, I could get away with L'Oreal's high lift for brunettes. I thought about it for about three months before I finally took the plunge.

And I don't regret it.

Today was one of those days where I felt like putting in the extra effort, be a little bit more fancy and just do something for myself. I had to stop by Sally's anyway to get another tube for the root touch up. I also wanted to surprise the hubby by picking him up from work and having a date night. I wore a pretty dress, some make up and I *gasp* wore my hair half-up half down for once. (I'm practicing for my Pinup Against Bullying inc photo shoot in August. I'm having a hard time coming up with a pinupy style for hair as long as mine. I only mention this because I need ideas. Bad.) I walk into the store and a woman nearly falls over and compliments Slayer. "Its so long and shiny!"

I kind of just smile, grab my stuff and hurry on out.

As I walk to the car, a little kid points to my hair and tells her mom "Look, a real life princess!"

I blush, get in the car and head to pick up hubby. We go to dinner.

I got a few more compliments and I tried not to crawl under the table and cry.

The truth? The SOB was being particularly difficult and I only had him loose because I was too lazy to fight him. I was super self conscious that he looked awful, perhaps a little frizzy (braid waves that had been brushed out) and I'd only half-arsed the style. I had originally tried to do victory rolls but... Slayer of Things is just too long. Kept tangling.

It made my day, honestly, the way I've been complimented on my hair today. I've been in such a slump that being told I have been doing something right all along, regardless of how lazy I had become made me feel good. Hell, proud even. Being stopped by strangers or pointed out doesn't really help my anxiety but I'm trying to stay positive.

With that quick update aside, anybody have ideas on what to do? I have until August to figure out a 1950's hair style and well... hair that you can sit on doesn't lend itself well to that style. I'm also looking forward to the PAB campaign so I don't want to bow out of it or fail the girls by not being able to style myself correctly. We have a MUAH artist who is willing to donate her time but... again, hair as long as mine is difficult to work with in this particular style. She hasn't a clue on how to help me. I rather be the one to style him anyway.

PS: For those who don't know me or haven't read any of my posts, Slayer of Things is my hair's name and he is a picky, tricky, pain in the arse.

Seeshami
June 19th, 2015, 12:47 AM
MY SISTER!!!!!!!

The naughty mess says, "MY SIBLING!! And partner in world domination"

It's good to see you back!

P.s. I did a brushing my hair pinup style photo for a February lhc calendar thing once upon a sometime

AnqeIicDemise
June 19th, 2015, 12:48 AM
MY SISTER!!!!!!!

The naughty mess says, "MY SIBLING!! And partner in world domination"

It's good to see you back!

:D It is so good to see you too! I also wanted to add that Slayer of Things is Naughty Mess's little brother. HAHAHA!

ETA: gah.. time to update that signature.

Seeshami
June 19th, 2015, 12:51 AM
Slayer of things absolutely is his highness's little brother. That absolutely happened. I think in two threads at different but corresponding times.

AnqeIicDemise
June 19th, 2015, 12:54 AM
Absolutely. Punk keeps breaking toys. That's okay, I repurpose them.

But have ye any ideas, my friend on how to fix my dilemma? I tried damp curling once but I had so many rollers in, I couldn't sleep. Nor did they come out pretty. I'm not that great at using foam rollers.

But hey, practice, right?

Seeshami
June 19th, 2015, 12:58 AM
I would use a cotton sock or something that helps absorbe the mouistures. Mess won't curl

The nuaghty mess says, "unless you're being disgusting then I curl all the time"

Hurl and curl are different concepts. Aaaaanyways. Or dry hair with damp curling devices. People swear to things that caruiso.... I think they are called steam curlers work but I have never been able to set a curl.

The naughty mess says, "unless you count crazy hairagami wave curl insanity from when I was a should length baby hair"

...... Pretty sure you didnt exist as you do now at shoulder length mess.

Seeshami
June 19th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Oh and many girls on magical google image search just leave their hair falls half down normal texture or wavy and do the big poofy bang roll and temple rolls that are a little more rockabilly

AnqeIicDemise
June 19th, 2015, 01:11 AM
Oh and many girls on magical google image search just leave their hair falls half down normal texture or wavy and do the big poofy bang roll and temple rolls that are a little more rockabilly

I'm failing miserably at the rolls. I kind of cheated today by pinning him back with a bit of a pouff but it wasn't the right sillouhette. You have a good idea about leaving the length down and maybe wave it.

Food for thought!

Seeshami
June 19th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Piffyanne had a tutorial for rolling long hair on something.

Maybe try flipping a bee bun side ways to look like fancy poofs?

Shepherdess
June 19th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Hey! Welcome back! :) 2014 was very rough for me too with school and a lot of things going on, so I was absent a lot and in hiding more from people, so I can completely relate to that. I am glad that your hair is doing well. :) I don't know much about the 50s hair styles, so I can't help with that, but I hope you are able to figure out one that works for your hair; I'll have to follow this to see what other people suggest. :D

lapushka
June 19th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Welcome back! :D

teal
June 19th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Yes, welcome back! :) What was it with 2014 being a year from hell for a number of people?? Me too, me too... and I lost some circumference from stress and illness, and I'm not sure it will ever come back... I've been fairly healthy and stress-reduced for a while with no change. :( I didn't have a large circumference to start with, either. :(

Whatever. Dwelling on it isn't helping. I will champion the thin/fine/long hair and buck the trend! :guns: Onward and upward!!

kidari
June 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Hi hi! I remember you too! A lot of people seem to be coming back lately, it's so nice. That's awesome that things are going well, including your hair. I'm a red-head at heart too and it took me forever to get the courage to lighten it to get the shade I wanted due to my obsession with damage. I completely understand and I'm so glad that you have a renewed happiness with your hair with your color change. As for pinup styles for long hair, Iris J. on YouTube has some nice videos. For a special occasion I would show off the length and the color and wear it down! You don't have to tease or anything to do victory rolls or use heat to do curls. That would be so cute to do some pinup styling with your front hair and leave the rest down in a brushed out curl set.

swords & roses
June 19th, 2015, 04:06 PM
It's good to see you back! So glad that things are going better for you! :grouphug:

For your pinup shoot, I'm not sure what the vibe or setting will be for you, but here's some ideas. Hope they help!

You could get pictures done in a silky bathrobe, hair loose & brushing through it like Seeshami suggested. (I love that suggestion!) Or photos with your hair still in rollers.
Slicked-back high pony tail, with a pretty ribbon. (http://debrawellins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/50s-hairstyles-for-long-hair-womens.jpg)
High pony tail with faked bangs & a handkerchief headband. (http://www.hairstyleshelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Pin-Up-Girl-Hairstyles-Long-Hair-Photos.jpg)
Another example. (http://weeksact.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Pin-up-ponytail-hairstyles-with-bangs-for-long-wavy-hair.jpg)
Or a high bun with faked bangs & a Rosie the Riveter style handkerchief. (http://hairstyleholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Pin-Up-Vintage-Hairstyles-For-Long-Hair.jpg)

Hope those help in some way! And welcome back!

AnqeIicDemise
June 19th, 2015, 05:45 PM
It's good to see you back! So glad that things are going better for you! :grouphug:

For your pinup shoot, I'm not sure what the vibe or setting will be for you, but here's some ideas. Hope they help!

You could get pictures done in a silky bathrobe, hair loose & brushing through it like Seeshami suggested. (I love that suggestion!) Or photos with your hair still in rollers.
Slicked-back high pony tail, with a pretty ribbon. (http://debrawellins.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/50s-hairstyles-for-long-hair-womens.jpg)
High pony tail with faked bangs & a handkerchief headband. (http://www.hairstyleshelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Pin-Up-Girl-Hairstyles-Long-Hair-Photos.jpg)
Another example. (http://weeksact.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Pin-up-ponytail-hairstyles-with-bangs-for-long-wavy-hair.jpg)
Or a high bun with faked bangs & a Rosie the Riveter style handkerchief. (http://hairstyleholic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Pin-Up-Vintage-Hairstyles-For-Long-Hair.jpg)

Hope those help in some way! And welcome back!

Oh, WOW! I forgot about the pony tails! I have done something similar before thanks to rapunzel's resource for a fake short pony.

I'll keep you guys updated. I'll be testing these styles out the next month.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2015, 01:55 AM
Onward, with the Retro Style!

I did my first pair of victory rolls today. Instead of starting the rolls from the end, I started halfway through then made sure to tuck the silly little ends and pin. The swirls are perfect but... there's very little victory. Not enough pouf!

I'll post pictures in the blog for anyone interested.

flickm
June 22nd, 2015, 02:34 AM
Yes, welcome back! :) What was it with 2014 being a year from hell for a number of people?? Me too, me too... and I lost some circumference from stress and illness, and I'm not sure it will ever come back... I've been fairly healthy and stress-reduced for a while with no change. :( I didn't have a large circumference to start with, either. :(

It probably will. i lost a lot of thickness over several years with stress, lack of sleep etc. Recovering at last. i think hair is last in line when recovering - other parts of the body grab what's going first, and hair gets it when all else is sorted.

AnqeIicDemise
June 22nd, 2015, 02:38 AM
It probably will. i lost a lot of thickness over several years with stress, lack of sleep etc. Recovering at last. i think hair is last in line when recovering - other parts of the body grab what's going first, and hair gets it when all else is sorted.

I agree. I lost a lot of circumference last year. Thyroid issues went bezerk and my stress through the roof. When I braid my hair in a french braid, the roots are super thick and at some point it is evident where I lost hair. It just thins out like crazy.