PDA

View Full Version : Any updos or buns that can be held with only a scrunchie??

plainjanegirl
October 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Please if you know of any point me in the right direction. I love simple but am not a big fan of hair sticks.

Periwinkle
October 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Beebutt with a scrunchie:
Coil your hair as if for a cinnabun. Use about 2/3, making each coil under the last. Pass the scrunchie over once. Use up the remaining 1/3 of your hair. Pass the scrunchie over again. Voila! There's pictures of this in my album.

You can also use a really big scrunchie to go straight over a cinnabun. I like to use wavelength pins to make it flatter on my head. I wear this style a lot.

My shower bun (looks rubbish but holds really well and is really quick): Gather into a ponytail. Pass scrunchie over once. Wrap the length round and round the base of the pony, as if for a lazy wrap bun. Pass the scrunchie over again.

You can also do a folded ponytail (just don't pull it through all the way), or do a braid, then bun it and secure with an elastic.

Carolyn
October 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I do Bee Butt's and Cinnamon buns with only a scrunchie all the time. The Cinnamon tends to make itself into a Bee Butt sometimes. (only on a long hair board would anyone understand what I just said :D)

angelthadiva
October 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
:agree: to the above mentioned. I can do an English braided bun and a Rope Braided bun held up w/only a scrunchie...Heck, I've been able to do a cinna-bee butt held up w/ :magic: lately...I just wrap and tuck the end under the pile and the weight of the bun holds it up all day w/o anything! ;)

Psssssssst, Carolyn, I do know exactly what you mean, that's why I call mine the cinna-bee butt! :)

intothemist1999
October 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Beebutt with a scrunchie:
Coil your hair as if for a cinnabun. Use about 2/3, making each coil under the last. Pass the scrunchie over once. Use up the remaining 1/3 of your hair. Pass the scrunchie over again. Voila! There's pictures of this in my album.

<snip>

My shower bun (looks rubbish but holds really well and is really quick): Gather into a ponytail. Pass scrunchie over once. Wrap the length round and round the base of the pony, as if for a lazy wrap bun. Pass the scrunchie over again.

I just tried both of these and really like them!

I'm going to wear each for several hours to see how they hold - they would be great for transitioning into something besides a pony, for work!

Shorty89
October 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
The inside out bun can be held with a couple of pins. I often add a scrunchy over top of it. I forget whose bun it is but it's on the archive. Or in the new hairstyle dictionary.

squiggyflop
October 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
neat ideas everyone.. i prefer updos held by a scrunchy because scrunchys are soft.. i like to have an updo that i can lay on the couch and possibly take a nap in.. im always tired for some reason.. so nappable (made up word) hair is a must for me.. im always resting my head on something.. i like my hair to be ready for a spontaneous nap at all times..

now for my suggestion.. 3-4 small braids braided together and looped by pulling the big braid through a scrunchy.. it sort of makes the hair look shorter but i like it.. if you get the big braid flat it looks really good and it looks really complicated/fancy to people.. its easier than it sounds..

Isblå
October 5th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hm. I have my standard lazy-up but i'm not sure if it would work for you as my hair is BSL and layered. Anyway, I have a Big Thick hair elastic, much like a scrunchie but different. I make a ponytail wrap the scrunchie around once, wrap it around again, but don't pull all the way through. Then wrap the scrunchie around all the hair, including the loose end. Don't pull the loose end all the way through. Maybe it would be possible to repeat the last step one more time for really long hair?

(I suddenly realize this is hard to explain, but it is a lazy updo I've always done when I can't be bothered to think. Ill try to take some photos sometime. ) In the end this is a very messy-looking updo that stays up for me and keeps the hair out of the way. It is also easy to take out again and it doesn't cause a lot of tangling for me.