PDA

View Full Version : Awkward hair lengths

Breezy
June 16th, 2015, 10:07 PM
My hair was wacked prettty good by a hairstylist about a month ago. Now my ends are thin, the only way I can wear it is up. Are there other ladies that are stuck in that shoulder/APL length, or awkward lengths that you don't like how your hair looks down and have to wear it up instead?

Dragon Faery
June 16th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I've been there. Sympathy! :grouphug: My hair is generally awkward at the length you're describing. It looks and feels much better past BSL. Anything shorter than that and I get Triangle Head and family members snicker behind my back. :/ I think my current length is awkward on me as well. I'm just an inch short of Tailbone, and I feel like the whole general behind area looks wrong on me because it draws attention to my long torso (and short legs) rather than minimizing it. Waist looks good on me, but it's too short for my taste. So I'm on the long crawl to Classic and pretty sure I will look a lot better at that length.

snowyx
June 16th, 2015, 11:04 PM
I have been there too. I loved shoulder/collarbone length hair. It was so easy to wash and style, and I loved wearing it down. But I think APL to BSL was the worst. It took around 8 months, and I never wore my hair down.

Be patient and one morning you will wake up with your goal length! :)

flickm
June 16th, 2015, 11:21 PM
Am there right now - though it always grows pretty fast in the summer, so have shot from just below shoulder to just about APL in about 6-8 weeks.

YvetteVarie
June 17th, 2015, 04:30 AM
I have just managed to grow out of the awkward length. Anything longer than APL is ok on me, the shoulder/APL bit is the worst part of growing out.

Note to self: Never ever damage your hair so badly you have to cut it back to shoulder again

Saproxylic
June 17th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Shoulder and a little bit is bad, bad bad.... too long to go with hair down, as it goes everywhere, too short to reliably put up, and on top of that, the outgrown fringe. I so wish for the day when I'll be able to hold it all with one scrunchie, and not mess with bobby pins galore! I suspect it will get a bit more manageable by Christmas though...

Belle Paix
June 17th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Oh man, I was JUST there!! I'm growing my hair out from a really short pixie, and I've just barely made it to the stage that I can put it ALL up into a ponytail. It's fabulous!!! I've had to stick to the old LHC mantra of ignoring it so that it can grow though, lol. I look best when I can pile it up on my head in a loose bun, so I still can't wait until I get to that stage!!

Kiiruna
June 17th, 2015, 08:59 AM
I'm there right now. A bit longer than cbl, but yet not apl. My hair is too thick and slippery for hair toys, so it's boring to keep it up. And awkward to keep it down.

M-L-E
June 17th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Shoulder-BSL feels awkward to me, but maybe that's because my heart is set on my goal of waist-length and beyond...

alexis917
June 17th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I'm back after (almost exactly!) one year in need of support! I made a (poor) decision in December to get a post-breakup haircut. I had a pixie cut for a while, and now I'm at chin length with a bob I've been trimming myself. So many annoying little layers! Another thing- I went CG out of curiosity about three months ago, and have SPRINGY hair. I went from a 1c to a 3a. I can't wait until it's longer so it looks more pretty than, unruly....It doesn't help I BLEACHED it when it was shorter. I've covered it up with a demi-dye...but still. I now have awkward, super curly chin length hair, with an inch of black roots and medium/dark brown lengths. It's not...terrible....

endlessly
June 17th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I've been exactly where you are. I had a botched haircut several years back and only recently was able to trim off the last of the uneven layers since I felt that I had to wait until the shortest bits had grown to hip before I felt comfortable. Now, everything is one length again and at tailbone, and I've finally felt comfortable wearing it down after only wearing it up for years.

alexis917
June 17th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I've been exactly where you are. I had a botched haircut several years back and only recently was able to trim off the last of the uneven layers since I felt that I had to wait until the shortest bits had grown to hip before I felt comfortable. Now, everything is one length again and at tailbone, and I've finally felt comfortable wearing it down after only wearing it up for years.

Woo, there's hope! Your hair looks lovely.

lapushka
June 17th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Been back to chin length twice in my whole stay here, grew to BSL a few times, but it seemed to never go beyond, until one day... it did. :) You'll get there. Patience is the key and not chopping it off impulsively because you're at an awkward stage!

elsieivy
June 17th, 2015, 11:03 AM
I'd agree with pretty much everyone else and say that APL to BSL was a difficult length for me too. It looked super fluffy down, couldn't fit in a bun, and when I braided it lots of pieces would escape. I wore it in pigtail braids a lot. My husband has mentioned that he liked how it looked at that length though. He said it was really "bouncy" lol.

Kendrix
June 17th, 2015, 11:28 AM
I'm caught in the awkward gutter of BCL. Feels like I will never hit TBL and I have velcro ends, so tangles that I don't do much with that just go up in a bun tangled. Back at APL-BSL, buns always took like 10 pins just to stay and braids just really weren't a thing. But back then I really didn't need my hair up just to function. There are pros and cons to both. I would have cut my hair if I hadn't found this forum though. My ponytails fell out and my buns felt too heavy the way I used to do them. With what I know now, I would have had a better time at BSL. Twists and crown braids make all the difference in the summer heat.

What I miss about that awkward length is that my hair tangled so much less and there was less weight so it had more body.

gthlvrmx
June 19th, 2015, 11:17 AM
You can do it! I am also at APL at the longest lengths so not all of my hair can be put away nicely in a peacock twist. Hair near my ears fall out, and it's kinda cute how the curls come out, but I would rather protect my hair as much as possible. You might just get to longer lengths before you know it!

Arctic
June 19th, 2015, 11:40 AM
I'm between shoulder and APL, and I actually like this lenght a lot!

My most awkward lengths are when growing out pixie, to grow the sides over ear area, and a bob that is in the middle way down the neck. All the other lengths are generall y fine with me :)

ilovemocacoffee
June 20th, 2015, 02:54 PM
for me there is no awkward stage if one's hair is in good condition. as long as i wear my hair curly it always looks good. i think it depends on peoples faces. for me anything longer than BSL is extra coverage and awkward, because i just don't know how to wear it. i don't like hair toys, i don't like anything in my hair. i just like it full clean and voluminous. and anyway longer than BSL just doesn't style well for me, i don't think curls look nice on very long hair, specialy braid waves, their not bouncy at all they just hang in all it's lanklosity. just my opinion

Lucy Elizabeth
June 20th, 2015, 08:43 PM
I think I had 2 awkward stages:

I suffer from baby-face-syndrome so when my hair was between chin and shoulder I looked like a 5 year old when in reality I was 14!

The second would have to be apl to bsl, just because that stage of my hair seemed to take FOREVER to grow past due to my frequent haircuts and heat treatments. I also had a LOT of layers so I couldn't put my hair in a braid or a bun without little wispies and layers coming out :headache::wail:

Hairkay
June 21st, 2015, 11:21 AM
I suppose mine is at that stage now, BSL/MBL. It's been like that forever. Hair gets caught in collars and bras, large plaits/braids try to curve over the shoulder. Ends get worn down over the back and shoulders. I've been wearing it up a lot now so I hope that'll solve the problem along side a good hair care regimen.

Wolfie
January 3rd, 2016, 02:30 AM
Geez I'm in that awkward stage where my hair is past waist by a few inches but not yet to hip. It look so weird since its not a the usual markers. *sigh* that's what I get for cutting BCL back to waist... Oh well, onward to Classic!!!!

hanne jensen
January 3rd, 2016, 02:56 AM
I'm in that awkward area thats halfway to the bottom of waist. The only thing I can do with my hair is a braided bun. I'm too long for some things and too short for others.

ebaviisakas
January 3rd, 2016, 03:46 AM
Haha, I am glad I'm not alone in this, currently also just a little bit past my shoulders. I love it when it has been just washed, but whenever it gets a bit dirtier or moist, the ends curl up away from my face and it looks so ridiculous. Can't wait to be at least BSL!

mermaid lullaby
January 3rd, 2016, 09:10 AM
Is BCL an awkward length?

irodaryne
January 3rd, 2016, 10:41 AM
Shoulder length for me right now is something awful. It's nice down, but I really just want to wear it up and out of my face. Unfortunately, it's not quite long enough to stick up in a ponytail because these two bits at the nape of my neck are just a tad too short to properly stay in the hair-tie, and it's also just too short to french braid (so close...... so very, very close) because I can't get those darned wispy bits at the nape into a braid. (I just need an inch or so more, that's all I need and I can do it).

So.... Shoulder length is the worst right now because I have to wear my hair down which does look nice, but it's annoying because my hair is obnoxiously in my face.

khryz
January 3rd, 2016, 05:41 PM
I like my hair either ways, but when I need to get things done having it all tied up is great. There is a sweet spot to tie my hair up where I can get everything out of my face. When I can't find that sweet spot, or when my hair is just washed, i'll have everything in my face. I tie it in a sad bun to protect the ends, but because of the length, layers and some shedding I had, it looks like a pathetic small bun. And my hair sticks/fork can't get all the hair in as well as my scrunchie can :(

And yes... the other awkward phase is when it gets slightly longer, and gets caught in my bra straps, my bag straps, etc. urgh.

lapis_lazuli
January 3rd, 2016, 06:16 PM
I feel my hair is very awkward at the moment being right at classic. It's not as long as I envisioned it would be at this length if that makes sense :confused: I don't feel comfortable wearing it down because I can easily sit on it without even realizing. I think a few more inches would help with that haha... although that definitely won't stop people from trying to stick their hands in it :steam

AutobotsAttack
January 4th, 2016, 12:24 AM
I just passed that point. Once my hair drys it curls and waves up so its at that awkward stage again once i get some shrinkage. I just looks awkward all the time when down so i just have my hair in a bun of some sort for the time being, however i wear buns literally 24/7 so ive got some really good length retention going on, so i guess maybe another 6 months of patience and protective styling, and ill be right at MBL or almost at MBL in no time :)

HollyLindsey
January 4th, 2016, 03:10 AM
My hair is so awkward right now. A hairdresser hacked off my waist length hair into an angled neck length bob with layers stacked to my eyebrow 8 months ago. (And I asked for a completely different cut!) The whole growing out process has been ridiculous and unflattering. It's going to take years to grow out, but at least it's growing.

What kind of styles do you guys do to hide the awkward? I've been sticking to low buns.

ahall83
January 5th, 2016, 07:19 AM
Oh my. My hair is now just past chin in front and about shoulder in the back plus layers. It is driving me mad. I've considered getting it cut but I'm not wanting to go shorter. So I'm just dealing with this annoyingness. When the front gets solid shoulder I figure I'll start blending the back with the front and work on my layers. Wearing it half up has been my go to style since I can't fit all my hair up at once. Lesson learned. Do not cut off your wain't length hair just because your ex loved it and you thought you needed something new lol

HollyLindsey
January 5th, 2016, 09:38 AM
ahall83 I'm kind of in the same situation, I don't want to blend my hair until the top layers are shoulder length. Just wondering, do you experience any split ends on those top layers? I keep getting splits no matter how gentle I am where the top layers are which is really slowing down my growth.

Daydreamer.
January 6th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Shoulder length (my current length) is awkward for me. I can't pull all of my hair into a ponytail or bun yet.

HollyLindsey
January 8th, 2016, 03:11 AM
I've finally reached my 8 month growth progress from when my hair was hacked off form waist length. :) I thought I would post some pictures and ask you all how to work with my current hair. Does anybody else have a similar cut? I know the layers are angled, and it's very uneven, but that's why I'm posting on the awkward hair thread! I just could use some tips on how to make this look better! For some reason it makes my face look really round and funny, but when I had long hair, I felt more proportionate. I'm not sure how I should cut it as I grow it out. Thus far, I've just been S&D the short layers and micro trimming the bottom. The layers also keep flipping out like a bird, and I don't understand why haha!

Hair with bottom layered pulled back to show how the top layer has grown out:
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/hlm196/media/photo%201_zpskurwfusq.jpg.html?o=1

Hair fully down:
http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/hlm196/media/photo%202_zps9tpr5duk.jpg.html?o=0

Miss P
January 8th, 2016, 05:12 AM
I'm growing out a layered bob with a fringe. It's at the point where I can put most of it into a ponytail. However, my fringe ends up in my eyes, up my nose and in my mouth...

Strawb3rryBlond
January 8th, 2016, 05:21 AM
For me anything shorter than BSL is pretty awkward because I've got a massive face and really long cheeks and a high forehead. The more hair I've got, the better I look.

missrandie
January 8th, 2016, 06:11 AM
I'm at CBL with layers to an inch below my chin, thanks to the remnant of my pixie cut. That's pretty awkward in my book. I can almost put it up and keep it up, but not quite.

maborosi
January 8th, 2016, 06:31 AM
Anything that I can't bun or braid. I think that was APL.

And Waist to Hip looks kinda weird on me.

There was a thread once about ideal hair lengths depending on your body type- what an interesting thread! I hope I could find it again.

HollyLindsey
January 8th, 2016, 07:54 AM
For me anything shorter than BSL is pretty awkward because I've got a massive face and really long cheeks and a high forehead. The more hair I've got, the better I look.

Totally relate to you on that one! The shorter I go, the taller my five head seems to look lol. :)

Agnieszka
January 8th, 2016, 08:07 AM
My hairstyle is awful at the moment. Front barely reaches chin, back goes to half neck length and all has layers. Hate it so much I can't even look in a mirror. I wear really thick cotton headband not to see it. I think it will take at least a year to look ok. On a positive note my hair is very healthy looking right now. Patience is all I need.