PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair website

Brunette_Barbie
June 16th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Is anyone familiar with, or a member of, www.naturallycurly.com (http://www.naturallycurly.com)? They have all sorts of growth challenges and tips.

kitschy
June 16th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I was a member there before I came to LHC. I think most of the curlies over here have at least visited naturallycurly.com

AmethystLily
June 16th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Not to bash the site, because I've visited there and found it all right, but I have heard about some conflict between some of different ethnic groups. Allegedly, some didn't feel welcome, which helped lead to the development of another site years ago. But I'll leave it there because that may have changed in recent years and I don't want to start an inter-forum feud.

spirals
June 16th, 2015, 11:53 PM
I found this site via that one. Someone posted a link somewhere. I haven't been over there in years, though. I no longer care about encouraging my natural curl. I usually wear it brushed out or have a curler set of some type.

YvetteVarie
June 17th, 2015, 04:26 AM
I know about it, but I honestly never felt like it really appealed to me.

Arctic
June 17th, 2015, 06:10 AM
I know it too and read there sometimes, though am not a member.

The general goals of avarage LHCer and avarage NCer are sometimes quite different and even contradictory.

momschicklets
June 17th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Yes I'm familiar with it and a member! I have actually found much helpful information there and go back and visit every so often :)

spirals
June 17th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I know it too and read there sometimes, though am not a member.

The general goals of avarage LHCer and avarage NCer are sometimes quite different and even contradictory.

I agree completely.

lapushka
June 17th, 2015, 10:11 AM
I was a member there a long time ago. It's been ages since I visited. I found it a little too unmoderated, if I can say that? :o

pili
June 17th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I was a member there and it really helped me love my curls. It's been years since I've been an active member. I've actually found LHC to be a lot more supportive of my goals and…just in general more supportive. I do still refer some people over there who are looking to start their natural journey or have mixed race children and no clue how to care for their child's curls, but more and more I am referring people here to LHC. I find I am learning from all hair types.

ExpectoPatronum
June 17th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I'm a member on NC.

I tend to spend more time reading there nowadays than here as I'm not actively growing my hair out. I care mostly about making my curls look good and that's what that site is more geared towards.

That said, I obviously have not left LHC and I don't plan on ever leaving here. No reason I can't be an active member of both sites!

lapushka
June 17th, 2015, 12:42 PM
That said, I obviously have not left LHC and I don't plan on ever leaving here. No reason I can't be an active member of both sites!

Very true, besides, I like having you on here. ;) :D

meteor
June 17th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I've read it a few times a while ago as my search on Google directed me there and I found some excellent hair care ideas/insights there! :thumbsup:
But I haven't joined because one hair forum is quite enough for me! :lol:

I agree completely.

I'm really curious about this. I thought they both kind of have the same goals, but I could be very wrong, and I haven't spent enough time lurking on NC to be able to tell. :)
Do you by any chance mean that NC is more focused on wearing curls out rather than growing hair down? :hmm:

Arctic
June 17th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I've read it a few times a while ago as my search on Google directed me there and I found some excellent hair care ideas/insights there! :thumbsup:
But I haven't joined because one hair forum is quite enough for me! :lol:

I'm really curious about this. I thought they both kind of have the same goals, but I could be very wrong, and I haven't spent enough time lurking on NC to be able to tell. :)
Do you by any chance mean that NC is more focused on wearing curls out rather than growing hair down? :hmm:

More or less, yeah. Here many curlies and wavies wear protective styles without really thinking how their curls look. There people often seem to stop growing when they find that specific spot where their curls start to weight too much (or come here, lol). Also here people seem to be more interested in natural/DIY/cheeper type of products where-as there it seems to be more expensive commercial products (even if the makers might be small businesses catering a specific group of people). There people seem to use more heat tools, than here, as well as styling products.

These are ofcourse very simplifying generalizations (and I don't myself fit into the picture of LHCer I just painted ha ha), and as I said I'm not even member there, just occasionally browing the site.

meteor
June 17th, 2015, 01:46 PM
^ Thanks a lot for the details, Arctic! :flowers:
Oh yes, I think it's a pretty unique thing about the LHC that we preach wearing hair up while growing to great lengths, as it certainly works to keep hair in almost pristine condition, and it's one of the best pieces of hair advice I've ever heard. :D But in real life, one of the common complaints I hear is: "why even grow hair long if it's always up?" :lol:

AmethystLily
June 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
^ Thanks a lot for the details, Arctic! :flowers:
Oh yes, I think it's a pretty unique thing about the LHC that we preach wearing hair up while growing to great lengths, as it certainly works to keep hair in almost pristine condition, and it's one of the best pieces of hair advice I've ever heard. :D But in real life, one of the common complaints I hear is: "why even grow hair long if it's always up?" :lol:

I've read that quote (or something similar) on here too. But I think this depends on personal preference, how resilient their hair type is, and lifestyle.

HappyHair87
June 17th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'm a member there but I like it here better. I just lurk over there sometimes to see if there's any new products or techniques to try. I have made lots of friends from over there :) and it was SUPER helpful when I went natural but years later now, the information is redundant. :(