PDA

View Full Version : Self-Trimmers: Do you straighten before trimming?

Betazed
June 16th, 2015, 05:59 PM
It's almost that time of the month again. No, not what you're thinking! I'm a couple days away from doing my monthly trim. I've decided to trim once a month at least until summer is over and maybe longer (I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, as the saying goes) to get rid of all my heat-damaged ends. I've been using Feye's method and haven't had any problems with it.

However, I've read a few articles and seen a few YT vids that say anyone with any sort of waves should straighten hair before trimming. I'm on a roll with being heat-free and I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. So I have a question for those self-trimmers: Do you straighten your hair before trimming? Does it make a significant difference? Even if either sides of my hair aren't exactly even (I've been using the method for a U-shaped hem), it really wouldn't be a big deal because I'm also amidst a "Wear my hair up for a month (or 3) challenge". When it's not so hot out and I begin to wear it down again, I may have problems with an uneven hem but for now, it's not that big of a deal. Should I just bite the bullet and bust out my dusty blow dryer/flat iron for my next trim?

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any replies. :)

elsieivy
June 16th, 2015, 06:02 PM
I'm only a 1c so the difference between my hair straightened and unstraightened isn't huge, but no I don't straighten before trimming. I only ever wear my hair with my natural texture or braid waves anyway so it doesn't really matter to me what it looks like perfectly straight. If you regularly wear your hair straight then I guess it would make sense to straighten before trimming but otherwise I don't see much reason.

Nique1202
June 16th, 2015, 06:07 PM
The thing about wavies (and curlies especially) is that cutting straight hair (or wet hair) will not result in an even look once the hair is dried wavy again, it'll be all over the place. I gently stretch my hair straight to trim it, and my hemline tends to be higher on one side than the other because the left side of my head has more intense wave-curl to it, so the right side looks longer from the back by an inch or two when I air dry. It's up to each individual, but that goes against methods like DevaCurl which cut one section at a time with the hair as dry and curly as it gets to make sure that the final effect looks even.

If you don't mind the potential for it to look uneven, then by all means you can do so, but if you wear your hair wavy more often than not, then it might be worth taking the extra time and cutting it with its natural shape.

Shepherdess
June 16th, 2015, 06:09 PM
I have 3a curls and trim my own hair. I have never used a flat iron on my hair before, so I don't think it is necessary. I usually trim my hair the way that JJJ shows on her picture page here: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

There is also Feye's instructions that many follow for self trims: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

For me it is very easy to trim my own hair and I don't have any trouble with it. I have heard of a hair cutting clip that some people clip in their hair before trimming to keep their hair straight and even, which might be useful for some people.

spidermom
June 16th, 2015, 07:01 PM
Hel to the no. After bringing both sides forward to form a single ponytail under my chin, I close a book over the length, keep it level, and slide it toward the ends until I reach the amount that I want to cut off. Then I use the book as a straight edge and cut off the ends. This gives a gentle U shape to my hem; no heat required.

Nadine <3
June 16th, 2015, 07:07 PM
No. not worth the damage and I don't own a flat iron.

Quixii
June 16th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I never straighten my hair. I don't think it would help, anyway, since I never wear my hair straight. So why would it matter if it was trimmed even when straight?

Betazed
June 16th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! And for putting my mind at ease. I have everything from 1a to 2a and I used to be a flat iron fiend. I didn't want to have to get out the heat tools but I also didn't want to be trimming incorrectly. It's reassuring to know I can keep doing what I'm doing. Using Feye's method, my hair is pulled pretty straight anyway. i just kept coming across the same info (i.e., that anyone with waves/curls should straighten first) and I became a bit paranoid.

Thanks! :blossom:

Anje
June 17th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Nope, I don't bother. I've got a straightening iron from my sad and short-lived days with bangs, but I haven't used it on the length. It's just not needed, and at this point I'm pretty much just trimming to keep the fairytales down anyway, so it doesn't matter if the hemline is perfect.

Arctic
June 17th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Hel to the no. After bringing both sides forward to form a single ponytail under my chin, I close a book over the length, keep it level, and slide it toward the ends until I reach the amount that I want to cut off. Then I use the book as a straight edge and cut off the ends. This gives a gentle U shape to my hem; no heat required.

Sounds brilliant!

I don't straighten before cutting, but I might (or might not) have blow dried my hair on that day earlier. I usually cut dry hair, and mimic how a hair dresser would do it (sectioning), this way I get the best results. My left side grows faster than right side, so occasionally I even them out by taking more from there. My hair is not very wavy, but I have multiple textures ranging from straight to tight waves. My hemline looks like mildly wavy person's hemline, when I wear mine natural, and when I wear mine straight-ish, it looks even.

I sometimes (not too long ago all the time) cut wet hair, but have learned to prefer to cut it dry. I also have used Feye's method, and it's ok, especially at longer lengths, but I do prefere "my" method now, even when it's much more time consuming.

Deborah
June 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM
I bought a generic version of the CreaClip off of Ebay a couple years ago. It works very well for cutting long hair. My hair is straight, but I'm sure it would pull curlier hair straight so that you could cut the ends off evenly. It's fun to use, so most any friend or family member will gladly do it for you, if you don't want to do it yourself. (At least that has been my experience.)

janeytilllie
June 17th, 2015, 11:56 AM
I don't straighten my hair or trim when wet. I trim dry and use feyes self trimming method. My hair hemline seems even. :)

Frankenstein
June 17th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Not a self trimmer but I always straighten my hair before getting it cut. My hair is naturally somewhat straight now with a little bit of wave (new here and not sure of the exact type yet, sorry!) but I do this as a sort of "perfectionist" thing. I don't wear my hair straightened all that often, but even with my natural texture it seems to have an even hemline still. My slight waves are also super inconsistent and look different on any given day so I'd be a bit wary to have it cut that way; but I think it's totally fine if you don't straighten beforehand.

Ambrielle
June 17th, 2015, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't straighten it unless you were to wear your wavy hair straight most of the time. :) I have 2b/2c waves and don't straighten mine when i self trim.

alexis917
June 17th, 2015, 01:37 PM
When my hair was long enough to do this, I didn't bother with straightening since it was always pulled loose/held tightly enough for me to get an even cut.

lilin
June 17th, 2015, 02:35 PM
It's almost that time of the month again. No, not what you're thinking! I'm a couple days away from doing my monthly trim. I've decided to trim once a month at least until summer is over and maybe longer (I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, as the saying goes) to get rid of all my heat-damaged ends. I've been using Feye's method and haven't had any problems with it.

However, I've read a few articles and seen a few YT vids that say anyone with any sort of waves should straighten hair before trimming. I'm on a roll with being heat-free and I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. So I have a question for those self-trimmers: Do you straighten your hair before trimming? Does it make a significant difference? Even if either sides of my hair aren't exactly even (I've been using the method for a U-shaped hem), it really wouldn't be a big deal because I'm also amidst a "Wear my hair up for a month (or 3) challenge". When it's not so hot out and I begin to wear it down again, I may have problems with an uneven hem but for now, it's not that big of a deal. Should I just bite the bullet and bust out my dusty blow dryer/flat iron for my next trim?

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Nah, straightening isn't necessary at all. I've certainly never done that, and I'm pretty wurly.

You can just make sure the amount you're trimming off is the same length, measured from the ends to where you cut. Or you can dampen the hair and comb/brush it straight. It'll stay that way until it gets pretty close to being dry. Or if you're using Feye's method, this won't matter at all, since your hair will wind up even when you pull the hair binder down your length.

And if all else fails, just remember that your waves can help hide your mistakes. :D

lapushka
June 17th, 2015, 02:50 PM
The longer my hair gets, the less wave there naturally is. So trimming gets easier (should get easier - haven't had it trimmed in a long time). At the start of the week (after its weekly wash), my hair is quite texturized. By the end of the week, right before a wash it's different. All the waves have almost gone by then and because it's oilier, my hair is smoother. It's the ideal time for a trim. All it takes is a good brushing to get it to be almost slick-smooth. Smooth enough for trimming!

meteor
June 17th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I'm not a self-trimmer, but I noticed I get best results when my hair is trimmed dry, not wet. It's even more important for curlies, because the cut should take the curl pattern and shape into consideration.

As for straightening hair with irons, I've never done it and I don't want to do it for a cut either. My reasoning is that the cut should look straight on my natural hair as it is, not as it would be if it were heat styled.

This is totally a personal choice though, and I think great results can be achieved either way. ;)

Mullsha
June 17th, 2015, 03:48 PM
No I do not least amount of damage the best. There are two way I do it. while wet and brush it out. Or I'll brush it out dry and bring all it down till it's even at the ends the trim it.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
June 17th, 2015, 10:03 PM

I love this idea spidermom! That book trick is brilliant, I need to try this...
As for what I normally do- I cut it wet and combed out. :)

tigress86
June 18th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I like to trim my hair dry and straight, but I use wrapping to get it straight, not heat. I don't think it's necessary that you trim your hair pin straight unless you intend to wear it pin straight most of the time. Whatever small imperfections of uneven bits there might be, you texture will help to blend them.

lapushka
June 18th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I'm not a self-trimmer, but I noticed I get best results when my hair is trimmed dry, not wet. It's even more important for curlies, because the cut should take the curl pattern and shape into consideration.

Yes, dry here too. That's why I wait until the end of the week, just before washing (all waves have pretty much gone then).

surruh
June 18th, 2015, 08:31 AM
Nope. My hair is thin and not that wavy, I just slide my fingers down the length, basically pulling it straight.

LadyLongLocks
June 18th, 2015, 08:34 PM
I have 3a curls and trim my own hair. I have never used a flat iron on my hair before, so I don't think it is necessary. I usually trim my hair the way that JJJ shows on her picture page here: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

There is also Feye's instructions that many follow for self trims: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

For me it is very easy to trim my own hair and I don't have any trouble with it. I have heard of a hair cutting clip that some people clip in their hair before trimming to keep their hair straight and even, which might be useful for some people.

I try to make sure my hair is pretty straight and usually trim it after washing and blow drying it. I smooth it with a BBB and warm dryer. Thanks for trying my method :) JJJ

Shepherdess
June 20th, 2015, 12:52 AM
I try to make sure my hair is pretty straight and usually trim it after washing and blow drying it. I smooth it with a BBB and warm dryer. Thanks for trying my method :) JJJ
You are one of my greatest inspirations in my hair growing journey, and all of your videos and your web page are so helpful! I really like your method, so thank you for sharing it, since it has helped me a lot! :)

seamstress
June 22nd, 2015, 09:53 PM
I don't ever straighten my hair- I don't even own a straightener! I do trim my hair after giving it a wash and letting it air dry so that I can see how it normally looks when down. Then, I kinda just grab whatever chunks I don't like and snip away. My hair has a wavy-curl to it, so it works for me. Recently, I've been doing search and destroy, so that also leads to a not-straight hem line. It works for me. :)

turtlelover
June 22nd, 2015, 10:10 PM
No, I just leave it wavy and pull it straight. I don't use a flat iron on my hair, so I don't have to be THAT much of a perfectionist, though I try to take my time and do a good job.

yahirwaO.o
June 22nd, 2015, 10:38 PM

Oh Spidermom thanks a lot this brilliant idea!!!

I've just trim my hair today with the front ponytail and worked amazing! Feyes somehow always gave a side longer than the other (notice that when I brought my sides into the pony) overall a bit uneven. I cut straight as I could (didnt go for the book) and the outcome was a perfect rounded u shaped!

Its much easier for me to do this way and since my hair shorter it works much better than sliding the ponytail in the back. I guess traditional Feyes works better for super long hair, but you way fits me really nice and its by far the most even haircut I've given myself....

....Regarless of the question. My own is pretty straight, dont see why should I straighten (even if my hair had texture, it conseals mistakes better I think). I do however go for day old oily hair and I sometimes oil all the lenght like today, my comb and brush slides though pretty nicely and makes the cut eazy brezzy!

hennalonghair
June 22nd, 2015, 11:15 PM
No! I self trim but I have never used a flat iron in my life
I am 2b - 3a

Aderyn
June 22nd, 2015, 11:39 PM
I trim similarly to how Spidermom trims. I look down (gives a deeper U/v-cut hemline), part my hair down the middle, tie it under my chin, and then just "straighten" my hair with my fingers all the way down and trim the ends. I never even thought of using a book to make sure it was an even cut, but I may give it a try next time I trim! :)

I have pretty forgiving hair that is wavy/curly at the ends, so I'm certainly not too picky about having it be 100% perfect. And I always trim when my hair is dry, without a doubt. Flat irons can stay away.