PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Questions

harveysmom
June 16th, 2015, 09:43 AM
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put an intro but i also want some advice on my ends. Do they still look healthy or should I freshen them up a little? I get pretty tangly unless I wear it completely up(which is kind of boring), but I do want to protect my lengths. Even the tassles of braids are pretty disheveled by the end of a long day. Just some advice welcome, maybe how much I should trim if any, it's been a good 8 months since anything more than an s&d...here's some pics to judge from

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/waltersmom1/hairlength%20001_zpsai64tve3.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/waltersmom1/media/hairlength%20001_zpsai64tve3.jpg.html)

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b545/waltersmom1/hairlength%20002_zpsf7n0toib.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/waltersmom1/media/hairlength%20002_zpsf7n0toib.jpg.html)

I had layers to begin with, and they're turning into fairytale ends. I dont mind fairytales but just want some hair experienced peoples opinions on whether it still looks alright or if a trim is due. If it were up to my family I'd be cut back to waist al least! thank you in advance and all feedback welcome!

flickm
June 16th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I'm not as experienced as a lot of people here, but your ends look like mine, slightly dry and porous. I oil my ends, and that stops them tangling. I'm trying not to trim, having had quite a drastic cut a month or so ago (mid back to just below the shoulders - though it's to my armpits now). Your hair is beautiful, BTW.

harveysmom
June 16th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I'm not as experienced as a lot of people here, but your ends look like mine, slightly dry and porous. I oil my ends, and that stops them tangling. I'm trying not to trim, having had quite a drastic cut a month or so ago (mid back to just below the shoulders - though it's to my armpits now). Your hair is beautiful, BTW.

Thank you! I'm trying to keep everything i can lol. Sometimes oils and serums work, and then others it seems like it makes them pick up everything if you know what i mean.

elsieivy
June 16th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Your hair looks great! If your ends are getting tangled I'd try clarifying them before considering a trim.

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I think your hair looks lovely, to me it doesn't need trimming. :flower:

I think your ends look fine. If your hair ends are dry and have a Velcro grappy feeling. A clarify might help and then a moisture treatment.
Even if you don't use cones. Oils and products can eventually build up. I clarify usually every 2 months to when needed :)

For my ends, I spray mist my hair ends with water so it's slightly damp. Let it soak for a minute. Use a drop of your favourite oil. I use Extra virgin olive oil. It will seal in moisture into your hair helping to eliminate dryness. :)

meteor
June 18th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Your hair is stunning! :applause
I wouldn't trim. :)

If the ends bother you and you want extra protection, I'd oil the braid tassel every other day or so, just a drop or two. Personally, I find that mineral oil and silicone serums can work even better than plant oils for moisturizing dry ends, but it's a very trial-and-error YMMV kind of thing.

I hear you about oil attracting lint and everything in sight... :lol: I find that silicones play a bit nicer with lint/dust than oils, but still... it's kind of inevitable. What you could do if the ends get overoiled is wet the ends a bit and smooth some conditioner on the ends and rinse them out. It sort of cleans the ends like a CO-wash while moisturizing them a bit.

Another thing to consider is hydrolyzed protein treatments from time to time. I think hydrolyzed silk/keratin and DIY gelatin treatments can be great for slightly frayed ends because they are film-forming humectants that help with temporary patch-repair.

lapushka
June 18th, 2015, 03:18 PM
I think your hemline looks just fine. It's normal and to be expected with layering. I have the same going on, and I'm going to leave it alone as well.

gthlvrmx
June 19th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Your hemline looks thick to me. Continue to use protective updo's and try some oil on damp/wet hair after a wash to retain more moisture into your hair. It will provide slip and moisture if you try baby oil.

Dragon Faery
June 20th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Your hair looks lovely! I agree with the suggestion to clarify when just oiling doesn't work. A clarify followed by a deep treatment is a good way to hit the "reset" button on your hair when it refuses to behave. I would personally only trim when *nothing* worked to stop the tangles. :)

Also, welcome! :happydance: