PDA

View Full Version : I finally did a hot oil treatment right!

Foxy Red
June 16th, 2015, 02:45 AM
For the past 2 years or so, my hair has been rather frizzy, and the ends always felt dried out. (Not curly frizzy, but more like the "before" photo in a Brazilian keratin treatment ad.) I tried numerous things, including oil treatments (grapeseed, sunflower and coconut), but nothing really worked until about two weeks ago, when I tried sulfate-free shampoo. (Hask with Argan oil, in case anyone's wondering.) Since then, my hair has been really soft and somewhat shiny, although my canopy tends to be a bit fluffy the day after a wash. (I wash my hair every second night.)Friday night, out of curiosity, I tried a hot oil treatment. I think my previous attempts at oil treatments were done wrong, so after some research in this site's archives I did the following:- I heated a tablespoon of sunflower oil. (Previously I used 3 tablespoons, even though my hair is just above my shoulders; I thought my hair was supposed to be drenched.) - I dampened my hair before applying the oil. (Previously I applied the oil to dry hair.) I left the oil in for about 35 minutes.- I applied a generous amount of conditioner, and left it for about 25 minutes. (I did this previously as well.)- I got into the shower, wet my hair a little, then massaged the conditioner into my hair for about a minute. (Previously I just rinsed out the conditioner.)- After rinsing out the conditioner, I washed my hair with a small amount of Pantene Aqua Light shampoo. (Previously I used a generous amount of Tresemmé clarifying shampoo.)- I then applied a moderate amount of Dove nourishing oil conditioner. (Previously I didn't use any conditioner, thinking the oil was sufficient.)When I got out of the shower, my hair felt quite soft. Previously my hair felt a bit stripped. Saturday my hair was not oily at all (with my previous attempts, it wasn't unusual for part of my hair to be oily the next morning). It was also quite soft and not frizzy. It felt a little dry in the morning, but by afternoon the dryness was gone. Sunday my hair was still quite soft and not oily or frizzy.I think I'll try more hot oil treatments in the future, using this method. I still want to try grapeseed and coconut. (I have both at home.) I've also read good things about avocado oil, so I'm going to try it as well. I won't bother with olive oil; my one attempt at an olive oil treatment left my hair really greasy the next day.

Foxy Red
June 16th, 2015, 02:49 AM
OK, that wasn't meant to be a wall of text. I posted it with paragraphs, but somehow my formatting disappeared.

Wusel
June 16th, 2015, 02:52 AM
Congratulations :)
Sounds like you've found a great method for your hair :)
Nice to hear such a happy end story :)

Jadestorm
June 16th, 2015, 02:56 AM
I'm glad to hear you found a good hair care routine that really works for you! :D

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Congratulations on finding a good routine :hifive:

It's a lovely feeling finding something that works well for your hair. :)

Fira
June 16th, 2015, 06:30 AM
If I may ask, how did you heat the oil, Foxy Red?

lapushka
June 16th, 2015, 07:25 AM
It's always nice to find something that works! :D Good on you!