PDA

View Full Version : How should I part my hair to more effectively search for split ends and white dots?

Emanon
June 16th, 2015, 12:35 AM
How should I part my hair to more effectively search for split ends and white dots? My hair is less than an inch beneath APL and while I have little problem bringing all of it in front where I can see it, I still have trouble spotting the splits.

My hair would normally end up being separated in three parts (the bulk of hair that hasn't been checked yet, the strand(s) I'm failing to meticulously stare at and the section I went through with decent care and attention). I would pick a section from the left (or right) and finish checking it, then pick the next piece of hair right after. I would repeat this until I reached the middle of my head/back; then I would stop and continue from the other side. This procedure worked fine during winter, when I my hair was far more frustrating and damaged (I also had a few longer layers at that time, which I got rid of), but now that there's less of them, I'm finding it more difficult to concentrate and do everything methodically.

I think one of my problems lies in the fact that I'm not looking at a smaller enough strand to clearly see each split. The layers probably aided me in focusing on hairs that were shorter than the average length, hairs which right now I have to force myself to look for; and there's a good amount of hair in the back that's shorter! I hope it's not damaged! The others in having a slightly lighter colour than before (blame the sun) and the whole thing feeling far more tedious.

Do you think also parting my hair vertically would improve split end visibility? And what should I do make less boring?

Nini
June 16th, 2015, 03:29 AM
How you part your hair has no bearing on how you see the splits so long a you get your hair in front of your eyes.

The main thing is to find a background that contrasts with your hair. For me as a blond that means a dark background, and preferrably good lighting. For you that might be something totally different.

Anje
June 16th, 2015, 12:18 PM
It'll get easier when your hair is longer, I promise!

Easiest way for me to spot splits is when I've got my hair in a braid (at APL, you might do better with two braids) that's been around long enough to get a little fuzzy. The short ends from all through the length pop right out, and the splits are among them. I can also rummage through the braid tassel for them. Sitting in the sun (in the passenger seat of the car in particular) seems to make them show up. Getting out the hair scissors makes them run and hide again, though!

endlessly
June 16th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I agree with Anje, it will get so much easier as your hair gets longer. I tend to part my hair straight down the middle, then tightly braid each side. This way, it keeps the ends nice and neat, and I can also avoid mixing up what I have and haven't already trimmed.

Dragon Faery
June 16th, 2015, 07:24 PM
I do what Anje does and snip them out of my sleep braid in the morning. I check the length of the braid for splitty escapees, and then check the tassel. I braid as far down as I can, usually, so my tassel is fairly small and easy to sort through. The whole session takes 15 minutes, tops. Often more like 5. After a week or so of that, most of my splits are gone. It's a much shorter session each time, so it's way less boring. Of course, having a long sleep braid helps with doing it this way. Before it was long enough for that, I had the same problem you're having.

MINAKO
June 16th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I just make a center part, take everything to the front and check random sections that i throw behind my shoulder when im done until all the hair is in the back again... theres really no hack on how to do this " the right way" im afraid. Just be patient, it will become easier to see once it hits around BSL.

lapushka
June 17th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I never actively S&D. When I happen upon a split, I'll take care of it. But overall, I see no splits or white dots. The last of the perm and heat damage went a long time ago.

spirals
June 17th, 2015, 10:15 AM
It'll get easier when your hair is longer, I promise!
....Sitting in the sun (in the passenger seat of the car in particular) seems to make them show up. Getting out the hair scissors makes them run and hide again, though!
This. I can't really see them until I'm in the car, actually. And my scissors are usually in the house. :doh: :scissors:

browneyedsusan
June 17th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I couldn't see my ends very good at APL. (But, my eyes are older than yours!)
Now that it's WL, I can pull it to the front and move the ends into the "sweet spot" in my vision. For me, it helps if I wear a black shirt and pants, and do it in the sunshine when the sun is low--early morning, or late afternoon.

There really isn't any right or wrong to it. Just snip them off when you find them, and don't worry about it unless you start finding more splits than healthy hairs. If that happens, it's probably time for a little trim.