PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Bar -advice

Jynkies
June 15th, 2015, 01:43 AM
I'm considering trying a shampoo bar but I've never used them before and the ingredients list looks a bit weird but rather nice.

However I'm worried about how lye and castor oil in hair -does anyone have any advice/experience with something similar?

here's the ingredient list:

"Ingredients:Water, Lye, Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Moroccan Argan Oil, Mango Butter, Organic Palm Oil, Castor Oil & 100% Tussah Silk

Lightly fragranced with Vanilla Sugar Scent

The supplier of the Palm Oil is working closely with the growers to aim at environmental sustainability and are members of the RSPO which stands for Roundtable for Sustainable Palm."

Arctic
June 15th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Lye is used to saponify the oils, and it is not in the final product. HTH!

Robi-Bird
June 15th, 2015, 01:50 AM
After saponification, there is no lye remaining in soap, and very little of the fasts (oils and butters, the results of the chemical reaction are fat salts. Coconut oil becomes sodium cocoate, etc. That said, while I love bar soap for my skin and make it for this purpose, I don't love it for hair. Soap has a high ph with is not ideal for hair. Some people love it though so your mileage may vary.

I like shampoo bars made with surfactants, like those Lush sells.

Jynkies
June 15th, 2015, 01:59 AM
I like shampoo bars made with surfactants, like those Lush sells.

I've wanted to use Lush bars - however they over perfume everything and even walking past their store causes a reaction which requires an inhaler :/

The person has recommended ACV to balance out the PH caused by this bar.. hrm, it's starting to look less appealing now

Robi-Bird
June 15th, 2015, 02:16 AM
I've wanted to use Lush bars - however they over perfume everything and even walking past their store causes a reaction which requires an inhaler :/

The person has recommended ACV to balance out the PH caused by this bar.. hrm, it's starting to look less appealing now

My experience washing my hair with bar soap was a stiff, rough texture, my hair was only an inch or two long at the time so it recovered easily at least. If you are willing to go to ETSY there are some fantastic poo-bar makers on there that sell unscented bars. I hear you on the Lush issue. I can't go near it without my eyes gooping shut. I make my own poo-bars with surfactants I choose for my hair type. Which reminds me, I need to make more XD.

Nini
June 15th, 2015, 02:16 AM
Have a gander at the Shampo Bar thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74&highlight=chagrin+valley) and you'll find many answers.

I'd give it a shot if I were you. I ended up not using them on my hair, but I love them for my body. And my eczema is rather pleased with them too! I use Chagrin Valley soap and shampoo bars.