PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent seasonal hair shedding

Wusel
June 14th, 2015, 04:31 AM
I'm still searching for methods how to prevent seasonal hair shedding or make me loose less in spring/summer and autumn.

I've found this information on livestrong and other websites and instantly decided to start living like a vampire and stay at home/inside when it's sunny outside. :D

"Researchers report that while hair grows, hair shedding also increases in spring and summer. By fall, a person may lose as many as 100 hairs per day. This shedding may also affect hair growth, and varies from person to person.
Research suggests that hair shedding is related to daylight, and that reducing exposure to sunlight may help prevent seasonal hair shedding."

Let's start a thread about seasonal shedding prevention.
I'm researching like crazy :D
THERE HAS TO BE A REMEDY FOR THIS!!! :)

Crystawni
June 14th, 2015, 04:57 AM
Live where there are no seasons (we have two here, the wet season and the dry season)? :p Yeah, I'm no help. Sorry!

Wusel
June 14th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Live where there are no seasons (we have two here, the wet season and the dry season)? :p Yeah, I'm no help. Sorry!

So which time in the year do you down there shed? All the time a little bit? Do you have times when it increases?

lapushka
June 14th, 2015, 05:05 AM
I think you may be asking for the impossible. If it's one consolation to you - it happens to *everybody*! :flower:

Crystawni
June 14th, 2015, 05:21 AM
So which time in the year do you down there shed? All the time a little bit? Do you have times when it increases?

I shed all the time--little and often. I have been getting more lately, though, which is also from non-seasonal causes (stress, medical, post-op). Normally, I don't notice a seasonal variance, but having recently moved to a place that's constantly warm, even the animals are moulting their incoming winter coats. I'll have to see what happens!

Wusel
June 14th, 2015, 05:31 AM
I think you may be asking for the impossible. If it's one consolation to you - it happens to *everybody*! :flower:

Thank you... but it bothers me that, as I remember, in spring/early summer my hair always becomes thinner. Not that other people can see it but I can feel my braid a little bit less thick when I touch it. I don't know, maybe I just fancy this because I'm so afraid of this. It's so worry-free to loose only 10-20 hairs in the winter... and when spring and summer come along it's around 100...
I had a dream some days ago. I've glued all my hairs with superglue to my scalp... :D

Mimha
June 14th, 2015, 05:34 AM
I'm still searching for methods how to prevent seasonal hair shedding or make me loose less in spring/summer and autumn.

I've found this information on livestrong and other websites and instantly decided to start living like a vampire and stay at home/inside when it's sunny outside. :D

"Researchers report that while hair grows, hair shedding also increases in spring and summer. By fall, a person may lose as many as 100 hairs per day. This shedding may also affect hair growth, and varies from person to person.
Research suggests that hair shedding is related to daylight, and that reducing exposure to sunlight may help prevent seasonal hair shedding."

Let's start a thread about seasonal shedding prevention.
I'm researching like crazy :D
THERE HAS TO BE A REMEDY FOR THIS!!! :)

Hello Wusel.

Nobody likes to shed hair, but your post immediately made me react : there are a few things to keep in mind when considering the question of seasonal hair shedding. (I am presently on a one year study of hair shedding, making my own statistics in order to understand my "yearly shedding pattern". You can MP me if you are interested :))

First of all, seasonal shedding is not pathological. Seasonal shedding is just a period of the year during which the hair that have arrived at the end of their growth cycle will shed. Nothing else. The fact that they shed within a short period makes it frightening, but those hair are bound to shed anyway. Nothing can stop a dead hair to shed. (A new one will follow, don't worry^^). The fact that they shed more during a restricted period of time is linked to our genetics of human being who were "programmed" to follow natural cycles when we were living in the open air all year round. Despite the fact that we have become urban creatures since a century or two has not changed this natural tendency to shed on a seasonal basis. In my case, the seasonal shed is really impressive : I sometimes have the feeling that I moult :lol:

Second thing is that story of sun light. Please, please, please, don't jump on any crazy theory you hear on internet ! Hair is a wonderful source of fun and happiness but it doesn't mean one should deprive from a normal life in order to save his/her hair. Yes, too much sun on the hair will weaken it, on the long run. (Especially if mixed with sea salty water or swimming-pool chlorine water). That's why hair "fairytales" and becomes lighter at the ends. But this is a normal phenomenon. The true problem is actually UV-rays. Too much of them do damage lots of different material, and keratin also. But we must keep in mind that the very function of hair was precisely to protect us from direct UV-rays and heat right on our head. Hair is our natural hat ! It is therefore a very resistant stuff. (Just look at aaaaall what it undergoes with people who repeatedly bleach, heat-style and dye their hair, and still look nice enough to be considered beautiful by the majority).

Third point is very important : we NEED to be exposed to direct sunlight a minimum amount of time every day. This is also part of our nature. We need it for our body to be able to create enough D vitamin (an absolute necessity, also to grow healthy hair !). We also need direct sunlight for the regulation of our metabolical rhythm (circadian rhythm) and a good balance or melatonin, and therefore a good sleep (essential to grow nice hair^^). And very recently, the science has discovered that we also need direct sunlight for our eyes : it seems indeed that the unprecedented increase of myopia (shortsightedness) throughout the world may be due to the fact that we more and more live indoors, under artificial light (= deprived from the whole range of sunlight rays, and above all, deprived from UV).

So please, don't refrain from enjoying the sun. The human being is not meant to live indoors ! The thing is just to be reasonable : sun yes, but reasonably. Not on super hot days, not for hours without a hat or a scarf, and here you are ! :wink:

Mimha
June 14th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Thank you... but it bothers me that, as I remember, in spring/early summer my hair always becomes thinner. Not that other people can see it but I can feel my braid a little bit less thick when I touch it. I don't know, maybe I just fancy this because I'm so afraid of this. It's so worry-free to loose only 10-20 hairs in the winter... and when spring and summer come along it's around 100...
I had a dream some days ago. I've glued all my hairs with superglue to my scalp... :D

Lol, Wusel !^^

Considering your thickness, the figures you give sound absolutely normal. I observe exactly the same on myself : between 5 to 25 hair/day in the "low" season, and around 100 (300 or more when I wash !!) in the "high season". Don't worry : it just means your body has a well marked seasonal shedding period. Some other people may have a less defined shedding period : it depends on genetics and also on the climate of the country where you live. I live in Switzerland (not far from you). I shed much less when I moved to Koweit, during the first year. My hair thought it was endless summer !^^ And then my hair started to shed again, but without such a tremendous seasonal shedding period. Let's say it shed "more regularly". If this can reassure you ! :)

lapushka
June 14th, 2015, 07:06 AM
And keep in mind, shedding 100 a day is still "normal".

Arctic
June 15th, 2015, 02:46 AM
I agree with everyone, and also wanted to say, that as a academic person it irritated me to see websites refering to some mysterious "research" that says this or that, but they do not actually tell where the research can be found. Never trust "research" if there is no valid source mentioned.

Horrorpops
June 15th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Hi Wusel down in Australia were heading into winter and I am definitely noticing an increase in my shedding (not helped by some medication I've been taking recently..)

Anyway, like previous posters have said I guess there is nothing wrong or pathological about shedding more in winter... but I still want to minimise it and shed less lol :D

Currently I feel covering the health basics such as eating a good nutritious diet, and exercising regularly help a little. On top of that, I try to get out in the sun to get some vitamin D as much as I can (obviously this is weather dependant though). Other than that, I am excited to hear if you have any suggestions or find anything that works in your search! :)

ETA: maybe what helps each of us will be different, however, seeing as I find I shed more in colder months, and you in Summer haha! The mysteries of hair :p

jeanniet
June 15th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I agree with everyone, and also wanted to say, that as a academic person it irritated me to see websites refering to some mysterious "research" that says this or that, but they do not actually tell where the research can be found. Never trust "research" if there is no valid source mentioned.

As far as I know, there haven't been any studies, or at least none that have been directly reported here. It all seems to be anecdotal evidence, although in my case at least it's happened long enough for me to say that it's true personally.

jeanniet
June 15th, 2015, 10:31 AM

As far as I know, there haven't been any studies, or at least none that have been directly reported here. It all seems to be anecdotal evidence, although in my case at least it's happened long enough for me to say that it's true personally.

sarahdelee45
June 23rd, 2015, 04:17 AM
Seasonal hair loss can’t be completely eliminated, but can reduce it to an extent. In the case of normal hair about 90% of the follicles are growing at any one time while remaining are resting. This shows that about 50- 100 hairs are shedding in a normal day. But when it comes spring there is a chance to increase the number. In order to reduce the hair loss in particular seasons, you can try the following tips- brush your hair more often, avoid heavy styling products, leave your hair loose, practise healthy diet. A healthy diet is the best treatment for hair loss. Protein, iron, zinc, fatty acid and omega 3 are the supplements that help for hair growth. My doctor in suggested me to include food which contain these supplements after my hair loss treatment done in Canadian hair transplant center, a hair transplant clinic in Toronto ( http://chtc.ca/index.html ). I think healthy diet and exercises play a prominent role in the growth of hair.

Wusel
June 23rd, 2015, 04:34 AM
Hi Wusel down in Australia were heading into winter and I am definitely noticing an increase in my shedding (not helped by some medication I've been taking recently..)

Anyway, like previous posters have said I guess there is nothing wrong or pathological about shedding more in winter... but I still want to minimise it and shed less lol :D

Currently I feel covering the health basics such as eating a good nutritious diet, and exercising regularly help a little. On top of that, I try to get out in the sun to get some vitamin D as much as I can (obviously this is weather dependant though). Other than that, I am excited to hear if you have any suggestions or find anything that works in your search! :)

ETA: maybe what helps each of us will be different, however, seeing as I find I shed more in colder months, and you in Summer haha! The mysteries of hair :p

I have the feeling that stretching washes, conefree and sulffree isn't for me. My shedding slowed down after I've used a cone-sulf-bomb two times already this week... Strange.

I take a Vitamin D supplement since last year because my DD (Dear Doc - just to perfect the collection of shortcuts here :D ) found out that I'm low in it.

Wusel
June 23rd, 2015, 04:42 AM
A healthy diet is the best treatment for hair loss. Protein, iron, zinc, fatty acid and omega 3 are the supplements that help for hair growth. My doctor in suggested me to include food which contain these supplements after my hair loss treatment done in Canadian hair transplant center, a hair transplant clinic in Toronto ( http://chtc.ca/index.html ). I think healthy diet and exercises play a prominent role in the growth of hair.

That's exactly what I eat every day. In barrels. I'm ironized, zincized, fatty acidized and omegized LIKE HELL!!!:rolling::rolling::bounce::bounce::bounce:: bounce: