PDA

View Full Version : The Hair Scrunchie/Hair Ties Picture Thread

janeytilllie
June 14th, 2015, 03:50 AM
Thank you moderators for correcting my spelling mistake in the thread title. :flower:

I have searched and I can not find any threads dedicated to hair scrunchies or fancy hair ties.

I love them. I have many colours, materials and sizes.

They are dirt cheap. Ebay and Amazon have many wonderful designs. Shops and markets too.

They are easy to make. And can be completely customized.

I think they help hold buns in place, add volume and can match hair sticks/forks.

Velvet or satin ones can protect hair ends too, keeping them tucked safely behind.

They can tie ponytails, braids,surround hair buns/ updos kinda like a bun cage.
The satin ones can be used for sleeping. They are super gentle.

They are my #1 hair accessories. I can't be the only one who loves them, can I ?
I know they are a little 80s/90s but I think they are timeless beauties :crush:

If you do use them,post your action shots here :)

janeytilllie
June 14th, 2015, 03:56 AM
My action shots :) These are probably my favourite 3 scrunchies

My beaded brown.

Roses pink

Sunset brown

hennalonghair
June 15th, 2015, 05:29 AM
Wow! This is gorgeous!

Kiiruna
June 15th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I love them too - but yours are waaaaay more beautiful than mine :D

janeytilllie
June 15th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Wow! This is gorgeous!

Thank you :flowers:

I love scrunchies. I've always found them pretty and have worn them for years. :)

janeytilllie
June 15th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I love them too - but yours are waaaaay more beautiful than mine :D

Thank you :) The brown beaded one, I only got recently on eBay. There are many beautiful scrunchies on there. I only paid, I think it was 1.99. Ebay is srunchie central :)

Shepherdess
June 15th, 2015, 01:53 PM
janeytilllie, Those are just gorgeous! I love how colorful they are. This is a great thread idea! ^_^ I only really have basic scrunchies...I also use Loop 'n Loom loops a lot, since they are very soft and seem to hold alright in my hair, though they aren't intended for hair and are nothing special. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17748&d=1434397898

janeytilllie
June 15th, 2015, 03:42 PM
janeytilllie, Those are just gorgeous! I love how colorful they are. This is a great thread idea! ^_^ I only really have basic scrunchies...I also use Loop 'n Loom loops a lot, since they are very soft and seem to hold alright in my hair, though they aren't intended for hair and are nothing special. :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17748&d=1434397898

:bigeyes: scrunchie rainbow heaven! So many beauties. :crush: lol

The pink one in the basket is lovely, such a nice pink.

I've only noticed I've been spelling scrunchie wrong even in the title and in my posts :oops: lol. I love them and can't even spell them correctly . :laugh:

I love basic scrunchies, I think they are great and super gentle. :)

missblueeyes
June 18th, 2015, 11:35 AM
I don't have any impressive action shots yet but these bad guys are my new passion. I believe you call them 'elastic ribbon hairties' but I'm not completely certain. :)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/481/18514727328_261a8635e0_o.jpg

Hairkay
June 18th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I don't have any impressive action shots yet but these bad guys are my new passion. I believe you call them 'elastic ribbon hairties' but I'm not completely certain. :)

They sell that as hair ties?:disbelief

I've got a collection of decorative elastics very similar to those. I've used them to make lingerie and even put the excess in some satin scrunchies. It seems I went through a lot of effort when all I could have done was cut a piece of the elastic and tie it off.

I'm more of a hair minimalist. I don't really like hard stuff on my head which is why I like scrunchies.

sapphire-o
June 18th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Wow I have a nearly identical one as the one in your first picture! How is that possible? My grandma bought it years ago back in China. :) Mine is pretty loose so I put it around bun as decoration as well. :)

janeytilllie
June 18th, 2015, 12:34 PM

I've never seen them before :) I like the patterns on them, especially the blue one with the anchor.

janeytilllie
June 18th, 2015, 12:38 PM
Wow I have a nearly identical one as the one in your first picture! How is that possible? My grandma bought it years ago back in China. :) Mine is pretty loose so I put it around bun as decoration as well. :)

Cool! :D I got the brown one from Ebay. I think it might have come from China. It's one of my favourites :)

elsieivy
June 18th, 2015, 01:55 PM

I love those things! I found a spool of that material on Amazon about a year ago and now when I need a new hair tie I just cut a bit off the spool and tie it off. I also have a few more traditional scrunchies. I used to put them around my bun to hide all the bits that were trying to escape when my hair was a bit shorter.

I'd love to see the Scrunchies you made with them Hairkay! I bet they turned out really cool.

lapushka
June 18th, 2015, 02:42 PM
They sell that as hair ties?:disbelief

I've got a collection of decorative elastics very similar to those. I've used them to make lingerie and even put the excess in some satin scrunchies. It seems I went through a lot of effort when all I could have done was cut a piece of the elastic and tie it off.

I'm more of a hair minimalist. I don't really like hard stuff on my head which is why I like scrunchies.

I love those things! I found a spool of that material on Amazon about a year ago and now when I need a new hair tie I just cut a bit off the spool and tie it off. I also have a few more traditional scrunchies. I used to put them around my bun to hide all the bits that were trying to escape when my hair was a bit shorter.

I'd love to see the Scrunchies you made with them Hairkay! I bet they turned out really cool.

Yes, lots of people DIY them! :)
Fairly easy to do, I suspect.

missblueeyes
June 18th, 2015, 03:26 PM

Yes, I've been tempted to make my own, too but I'd rather support the small German business I get mine from :). The girls are super lovely and you can even put together your own sets. Surprisingly, I love the neon pink one the most :). That's probably the influence of summer.

janeytilllie
June 18th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Another favourite scrunchie of mine :) this one is velvet and so very soft. Great for hair ends protection.

Brown polka dot

Shepherdess
June 18th, 2015, 11:53 PM
:bigeyes: scrunchie rainbow heaven! So many beauties. :crush: lol

The pink one in the basket is lovely, such a nice pink.

I've only noticed I've been spelling scrunchie wrong even in the title and in my posts :oops: lol. I love them and can't even spell them correctly . :laugh:

I love basic scrunchies, I think they are great and super gentle. :)
Thank you! They are very basic, but I do love the colors too! :D Yeah, I keep spelling scrunchie wrong too, then I fix it, seems weird spelling it out for some reason. xD

Another favourite scrunchie of mine :) this one is velvet and so very soft. Great for hair ends protection.

Brown polka dot

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17771&d=1434622031
That is lovely! You inspire me...now I need to make more creative scrunchies!

elsieivy
June 19th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Those are so pretty Shepherdess and janeytillie!

pailin
June 19th, 2015, 12:40 AM
Don't care if scrunchies are 80's...pretty things that don't rip my hair out don't date themselves, as far as I'm concerned :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 19th, 2015, 01:17 AM
I love my two scrunchies and most days use them to decorate my bun. The shops here sell them and you can have any colour you like as long as it's black....

I like scrunchies and can't see anything bad about them.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF1259.jpg

janeytilllie
June 19th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Thank you! They are very basic, but I do love the colors too! :D Yeah, I keep spelling scrunchie wrong too, then I fix it, seems weird spelling it out for some reason. xD

That is lovely! You inspire me...now I need to make more creative scrunchies!

I struggle with spelling by mixing words up or missing them out. Scrunchie is very difficult word for me, I always want to take the c away lol

Thank you :)

Yes making scrunchies. I miss making them. I really want to make some super glitter ones with stars. I like space and stars. :)

If you do make some please post action shots :D I bet they would look beautiful. :)

janeytilllie
June 19th, 2015, 02:59 AM
Those are so pretty Shepherdess and janeytillie!

Thank you! :o

janeytilllie
June 19th, 2015, 03:01 AM
Don't care if scrunchies are 80's...pretty things that don't rip my hair out don't date themselves, as far as I'm concerned :)

Yes..... this! ^ :hifive:

They are so soft and never rip my hair out and are pretty too. They are a super gentle combo with my hair sticks and forks. I will always love scrunchies :heartbeat

janeytilllie
June 19th, 2015, 03:08 AM
I love my two scrunchies and most days use them to decorate my bun. The shops here sell them and you can have any colour you like as long as it's black....

I like scrunchies and can't see anything bad about them.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF1259.jpg

Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful :crush: I love the black it really makes the flowers colour pop. It looks so lovely in your hair. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
June 19th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Thank you janeytillie:)

sapphire-o
June 19th, 2015, 06:00 AM
I have a bunch of velvet ones for sleeping ponytail. They're so comfortable. I lust over some of the big fancy ones online sometimes, but they're a bit much for sleeping in, my $1 ones work just fine. :)

Arctic
June 19th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Scrunchies are not really my style, I am quite minimalist with my hair styling (I prefere my hair appear as if it holds up by magic, without visible hair accessories). But I love how Janeytillie's hairstyles are creative, personal and maximalist :D I have never seen anyone doing their hair quite like that, so it's refreshingly different. :flowers:

janeytilllie
June 19th, 2015, 07:09 AM
I have a bunch of velvet ones for sleeping ponytail. They're so comfortable. I lust over some of the big fancy ones online sometimes, but they're a bit much for sleeping in, my $1 ones work just fine. :)

I use my satin ones for sleeping ponytail, very comfy indeed :) I used to use elastic bands and they would really pull when sleeping. Scrunchies dont. :)
Scrunchies FTW :cheer: lol

omega
June 19th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Scrunchies ..I have never seen anyone doing their hair quite like that, so it's refreshingly different. :flowers:

Ditto.......

janeytilllie
June 19th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Scrunchies are not really my style, I am quite minimalist with my hair styling (I prefere my hair appear as if it holds up by magic, without visible hair accessories). But I love how Janeytillie's hairstyles are creative, personal and maximalist :D I have never seen anyone doing their hair quite like that, so it's refreshingly different. :flowers:

Awww.... thank you! :o :flowers:

Saproxylic
July 1st, 2015, 02:06 PM
I realized today my hair is long enough to ponytail it sucessfully, but all the elastics I own are the horrible thin ones with metal, so I sat down and sewed myself three scrunchies. I think I'll wear ponytails for a while just because of sheer novelty! The checked ones are cotton-polyester blend and the brown spotted one is some silky synthetic fabric, I think (I don't think I have any silk scraps laying around just like that.)
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/yidete/scrunchie4_zpscpnqecku.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/yidete/scrunchie3_zpsf2o3zlio.jpg

elsieivy
July 1st, 2015, 02:35 PM
Those are really cute Saproxylic!

Lauraes
July 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM
Saproxylic, those scrunchies are really nice!

I have an obsession with these things. Seriously, here's 32 of them:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/lauraes27/hairbandobsession_zpscm0nnkac.jpg
Besides the elastic hair ties ^ and a bunch of regular hair bands, I also have these:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/lauraes27/scrunchies_zpsuosi4bjr.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/lauraes27/floralscrunchie_zpsiokten81.jpg
I had more of the solid colored ones but I lost them. :( The floral silk scrunchie is my favorite, even though I don't wear it much.

elsieivy
July 1st, 2015, 04:32 PM
Awesome collection Lauraes!

Scarlet3636
July 1st, 2015, 06:32 PM
I've recently gone back to scrunchies. I ordered some black silk ones from Etsy (I have black hair), because I find them to be the most gentle for pulling my hair into a low ponytail. It's been so humid in Manhattan lately that I must pull my hair back when I'm outside, or else... well, it's not pretty! These work wonderfully for me.

going gray
July 1st, 2015, 07:14 PM
I use them too, as said before many times, they are simply the most gentle on your hair. I also use black, they are wonderful

Saproxylic
July 2nd, 2015, 12:49 AM
Those elastic ribbon ties look lovely, but I just can't justify the price, it's like 2.50 euros for four or five, and I am big on losing hair ties and other tiny bits and bobs! Lauraes I love your floral silky one with rabbity ears :)

Groovy Granny
August 14th, 2015, 05:31 PM
I like scrunchies :)
The small/no damage ones I use for a low pony to sleep.
The larger ones I use for high pony tails when I exercise.
I also use them like sarahlabrynth around my donut buns.
One day I'll make my own perhaps, but for now I have a good selection of sizes and colors.

ETA 6/27/18: Over the past year I returned to my yarn crafts and made my own crocheted scrunchies from leftover yarns, using large nonmetal ties and a variety of stitches depending on the size/style I wanted

Groovy Granny
August 14th, 2015, 05:32 PM
double post