PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair look thicker?

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 09:12 AM
ETA my question has been answered :) I've been measuring wrong all these years :oops:lol :lol:

Hello :)

Can hair circumference increase in a big way?

My hair has been eating hair tools. It's snapped some beloved plastic hair sticks today :(

I measured my hair thickness way back in 2009 it was 3" I don't have the photo any more it was lost when lhc changed. It always stayed around 3"-3.5 " mark over the years.

I decided to measure and its now nearly 5". I've measured 7 times, same results.

I've taken pics what do you think?

2008/2009

Now

I don't know,just seems far fetched :shrug:

Would like second opinions thanks :flower: before changing my hair type indicator thing.

Caraid♫
June 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM
I could be wrong, but my understanding of how to measure is that the measure tape should be pulled more flush against your hair (like as tight as the pink elastic in your fist pic) where as in these pics it looks like there's a space gap at the top where your thumb fits under the measuring tape
Not that I'm trying to tell you your hair isn't thick!- It still looks totally thick healthy, and beautiful!! It just might explain the very drastic measurement change. Based on the pics, it looks like your hair might be 4" if the tape was pulled tighter? That's really quite thick hair either way!

lapushka
June 13th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Yes, I agree, the tape measure should be tight around the ponytail, like an elastic!

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I could be wrong, but my understanding of how to measure is that the measure tape should be pulled more flush against your hair (like as tight as the pink elastic in your fist pic) where as in these pics it looks like there's a space gap at the top where your thumb fits under the measuring tape
Not that I'm trying to tell you your hair isn't thick!- It still looks totally thick healthy, and beautiful!! It just might explain the very drastic measurement change. Based on the pics, it looks like your hair might be 4" if the tape was pulled tighter? That's really quite thick hair either way!

:oops: I must have been measuring it wrong all these years lol. I wish I still had my old measuring picture. I must have been in the 2 group inches back then and was measuring it has 3 inches.

I thought it seemed far fetched to be 5 inches lol :lol:

Caraid♫
June 13th, 2015, 09:31 AM
:oops: I must have been measuring it wrong all these years lol. I wish I still had my old measuring picture. I must have been in the 2 group inches back then and was measuring it has 3 inches.

I thought it seemed far fetched to be 5 inches lol :lol:
Don't fret, your hair is gorgeous!! :D:blossom:

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Yes, I agree, the tape measure should be tight around the ponytail, like an elastic!

:oops: lol :lol:

Ill try taking another picture. Poor Df won't be happy. It took 6 tries to get the tape numbers to be shown my chubby fingers kept getting in the way lol

meteor
June 13th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Your hair is super-stunning, thick, and oh so shiny! :D

To make it easy to measure, one can wrap the measuring tape right around the elastic, or even wrap a thread/ribbon around the elastic and then put that thread/ribbon against ruler? Also, I think there is a helpful thread started by Panth on how to measure easily, if needed: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129056

lapushka
June 13th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Yes, I wouldn't worry too much. Your hair is gorgeous! :)

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone for you advice,opinions and compliments :flowers:

I kept trying to take another picture and gave up in the end.
Tape slipping,phone ringing,fingers photo bombing the picture.
Photo hell :justy: lol :lol:

I think I'm probably somewhere a 4"

Thank you metor for the link. :)
I don't have any yarn/wool around. But if I acquire some,I'll try that. :flowers:

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Your hair is super-stunning, thick, and oh so shiny! :D

To make it easy to measure, one can wrap the measuring tape right around the elastic, or even wrap a thread/ribbon around the elastic and then put that thread/ribbon against ruler?

I've just tried your suggestion, I add a pink ribbon and ruler. It comes up just a little over 4" :)

This was a lot easier it took me a minute vs 30mins :oops: lol

Thanks for the suggestion :flower:

MINAKO
June 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM
i personally find the dental floss method to be the most reliable. make a ponytail, then loop the thread around id it right behind the elastic, pull as tight as it gets (without hurting hair of course) tie a knot and then snip it open right next to that knot, the amount of string you have left is your true circumference and usually results in a bit less compared to the tape method. For me its usually around 12cm and theres hardly any variation in this. As long as you didnt suffer from hairloss before or hair was badly damaged a real increase in thickness is very unlikely.

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 11:31 AM
i personally find the dental floss method to be the most reliable. make a ponytail, then loop the thread around id it right behind the elastic, pull as tight as it gets (without hurting hair of course) tie a knot and then snip it open right next to that knot, the amount of string you have left is your true circumference and usually results in a bit less compared to the tape method. For me its usually around 12cm and theres hardly any variation in this. As long as you didnt suffer from hairloss before or hair was badly damaged a real increase in thickness is very unlikely.

Thanks for the suggestion, it came up 4" like with the ribbon. :flower:

lapushka
June 13th, 2015, 11:51 AM
4 inches is pretty thick. It makes you a iii.

meteor
June 13th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I've just tried your suggestion, I add a pink ribbon and ruler. It comes up just a little over 4" :)

This was a lot easier it took me a minute vs 30mins :oops: lol

Thanks for the suggestion :flower:

Yay! Congratulations! That's a whole inch increase in thickness! :applause Great results! :thumbsup:

More generally speaking, I think it's possible to increase overall thickness and also reduce taper over the long run to meet the hair's genetic potential, especially if hair was badly mistreated before, as gentle handling reduces breakage so dramatically. I've read reports of LHC-ers even "growing new bangs" simply when they stopped bleaching and heat styling hair - until then, they weren't even aware of their hair's full potential.
Also, obviously, all changes in hormones, lifestyle, diet, overall health really, really matter.

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 12:04 PM
4 inches is pretty thick. It makes you a iii.

Cool :) Thanks for letting me know. I thought I was ii/iii. lol
I'm not very good at this hairtyping thing lol :lol:

DreamSheep
June 13th, 2015, 12:13 PM
As others have said, I think the actual density of hairs is hard to shift - though I know some members (I'm thinking AlKhazzar, hoping it's OK to cite her here) who have had dramatic changes in thickness & growth rate. :)

Your hair is gorgeous BTW

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Yay! Congratulations! That's a whole inch increase in thickness! :applause Great results! :thumbsup:

More generally speaking, I think it's possible to increase overall thickness and also reduce taper over the long run to meet the hair's genetic potential, especially if hair was badly mistreated before, as gentle handling reduces breakage so dramatically. I've read reports of LHC-ers even "growing new bangs" simply when they stopped bleaching and heat styling hair - until then, they weren't even aware of their hair's full potential.
Also, obviously, all changes in hormones, lifestyle, diet, overall health really, really matter.

Thank you! :flowers:

My hair was in very bad shape.

I had severe breakage from combs. I did lots of hair experiments, a lot were disastrous.

The worse was my diet. I did not eat veggies, hardly any protein. I didn't eat much good food mostly a single microwave meal a day.

I was a stupid girl back then.:doh:
I love good food now, what the hell was I doing back then ::crazyq:

So I think my diet is most likely the helping hand :)

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 12:25 PM
As others have said, I think the actual density of hairs is hard to shift - though I know some members (I'm thinking AlKhazzar, hoping it's OK to cite her here) who have had dramatic changes in thickness & growth rate. :)

Your hair is gorgeous BTW

Thank you :flower:

Komao
June 13th, 2015, 01:09 PM
janeytillie, As others have said, beautiful hair. No matter how you measured it looks thicker to me and I think hair thickness can increase on some people and changing routines and taking good care of you're hair type can help. :)

janeytilllie
June 13th, 2015, 03:30 PM
janeytillie, As others have said, beautiful hair. No matter how you measured it looks thicker to me and I think hair thickness can increase on some people and changing routines and taking good care of you're hair type can help. :)

Thank you :flower:
My diet is a lot better than what it use to be. I definitely think that's helped my hair and overall health :)