PDA

View Full Version : Help please! What should I tell my hair dresser?

yogagirl
June 13th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Hi all! I have a hair dresser appointment on Tuesday and I still don't know what to ask her for. When I first joined I thought I'd ask her to even out my hemline and make it straighter, but now I am growing to like my U-verging-on-V hemline. I think it suits me and works well with my (very shy) waves.

The reason I don't want to self-trim: I want my bangs back. They are now too long to leave them out of updos and I prefer to have something to frame my face. I am definitely not able to cut my own bangs! Plus I like my hair dresser, though I haven't been since I'm actively trying to gain length. I have high hopes she won't cut to much, but apart from the bangs, I just don't know what to ask her for. I would like my ends to be touched up, but I'm not sure if I want her to touch my layers. A couple months ago I was getting really frustrated with my longest layers being too much longer than the next up, but I kind of like it now, at least in this picture.

I know you can't tell me what I want ;) but.... Any thoughts?

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo8/LHCyogagirl/6B8B3EE8-EBB0-44B7-8371-8F4BB81D4355_zpskvx7972i.jpg

lapushka
June 13th, 2015, 07:37 AM
I think... just go for the bangs, no more. Your ends and hem look fine to me, and if there are no massive splits or white dots, then there's no need to trim!

endlessly
June 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
I would ask for the bangs to be touched up and maybe a bit of a dusting on your longest layer if you want to have just the ends trimmed without losing very much length. Back when I frequently visited a hair dresser, I always asked for 1/4 inch to be trimmed, which certainly wasn't a lot, but just enough to keep the ends healthy. If you're also not quite sure what to do, it doesn't hurt to ask your stylist. If you only want the bangs trimmed for now, ask if she thinks you need the ends trimmed, but just explain you're trying to grow your hair long. If this is a person you've gone to see frequently in the past, they'll hopefully be honest with you and not go against your wishes. Best of luck!

woodswanderer
June 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
I always find it best to be very specific. It sounds like you aren't sure what you want, and I wouldn't go for a cut until I was sure how I wanted it and had thought of a clear way to articulate it to the hairdresser.

spidermom
June 13th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I think you could use a bit of a trim to bring the longest hairs more into shape with the next-longest hairs - maybe 1/2 inch AT MOST, keeping the shape. That would be what I would ask for. Oh, and whatever you were thinking for the bangs.

Anje
June 13th, 2015, 12:14 PM
If you wanted your U rounded out a little to make it blunter, you might ask her to take some off the longest bits in the back and not touch the sides at all. Use your fingers to indicate how much of the longest part to take off.

Actually, if you wear that striped shirt, you could tell her to cut the longest part up to the next black line (or something like that). Having an indicator on your body like that shirt seems like an excellent way to indicate the length that you want to end up with while giving the stylist a good reference so that you all know exactly where it should end up. :)

Printing out a picture might be useful, too. Something like this:
http://s12.postimg.org/yuitvuqv1/Trim_It_To_Here.jpg

Lady Mary
June 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I would tell her, "Hi, I'm calling to cancel my appointment." Your hair looks great :D

yogagirl
June 14th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Sorry for bailing on my own thread, All! I finally found my way back to the computer now :) Thank you all for your input!

I think... just go for the bangs, no more. Your ends and hem look fine to me, and if there are no massive splits or white dots, then there's no need to trim!
No massive splits or white dots, but I do notice a lot of hairs thinning at my hemline. That's not terrible I guess, but they're kind of papery feeling even after clarifying/chelating and they have this funny golden color :confused:

I would ask for the bangs to be touched up and maybe a bit of a dusting on your longest layer if you want to have just the ends trimmed without losing very much length. Back when I frequently visited a hair dresser, I always asked for 1/4 inch to be trimmed, which certainly wasn't a lot, but just enough to keep the ends healthy. If you're also not quite sure what to do, it doesn't hurt to ask your stylist. If you only want the bangs trimmed for now, ask if she thinks you need the ends trimmed, but just explain you're trying to grow your hair long. If this is a person you've gone to see frequently in the past, they'll hopefully be honest with you and not go against your wishes. Best of luck!
I think this is what I will end up doing. I definitely need to be clear about wanting to grow long, thank you for reminding me! All the nightmare hairdresser threads scared me, so thank you for your good luck :)

I always find it best to be very specific. It sounds like you aren't sure what you want, and I wouldn't go for a cut until I was sure how I wanted it and had thought of a clear way to articulate it to the hairdresser.
This appointment has actually been scheduled, canceled, and re-scheduled multiple times now due to the bolded reason. So I totally agree with you, but I feel like I have to do "something" right now. Long story, but the gist of it is I'm going back home for a few weeks and need to look presentable and I guess I am not 100% sure that my hemline still qualifies as presentable for hair-muggles.

I think you could use a bit of a trim to bring the longest hairs more into shape with the next-longest hairs - maybe 1/2 inch AT MOST, keeping the shape. That would be what I would ask for. Oh, and whatever you were thinking for the bangs.
Thank you for your input. That was my inkling as well.

If you wanted your U rounded out a little to make it blunter, you might ask her to take some off the longest bits in the back and not touch the sides at all. Use your fingers to indicate how much of the longest part to take off.

Actually, if you wear that striped shirt, you could tell her to cut the longest part up to the next black line (or something like that). Having an indicator on your body like that shirt seems like an excellent way to indicate the length that you want to end up with while giving the stylist a good reference so that you all know exactly where it should end up. :)

Printing out a picture might be useful, too. Something like this:
Thank you so much for that visual! Printing this might be the safest bet, what a great idea! And I appreciated your PM as well :flower:

I would tell her, "Hi, I'm calling to cancel my appointment." Your hair looks great :D
Haha, thank you Lady Mary, you're making me blush :o I am pretty pleased with it right now, especially since it has become long enough for my hair toys to work :thumbsup:

lapushka
June 14th, 2015, 03:23 PM
No massive splits or white dots, but I do notice a lot of hairs thinning at my hemline. That's not terrible I guess, but they're kind of papery feeling even after clarifying/chelating and they have this funny golden color :confused:

That's really good! Sorry to hear about your ends, but you're the one looking more closely at them, I guess. I can tell you I see nothing "off" or "odd" on the picture. So... take it for what it's worth. :)

vpatt
June 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Good luck! I think your hair looks great like it is. But I understand if you like having bangs.