PDA

View Full Version : Help - difficulty categorising my hair type.

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 01:19 AM
I think I'm 1c/2a but it's complicated. It's straighter on top and my fringe, quite wavy (loose S waves) underneath and at temples. I air dry without combing and it dries with relaxed waves, but when it's dry and i comb it it goes a lot straighter. If I go out in heavy rain and let it dry naturally, it dries like waves from plaits, but they drop out after a while. I try to wash only once a week, and as the days go by, my hair develops a lot more wave, especially at the bottom. I'm really confused. I'd never heard of these hair categories before joining this community. BTW, my avatar and my blonde sig pic were taken after blow drying (which i no longer do) so it's a lot straighter.

Wosie
June 13th, 2015, 04:01 AM
Do you have any pictures taken of yourself when your hair is air dried and non-manipulated with (e.g. brushed or blow dried)? That'd help a lot. :)

You seem to have about as much wave as I do, judging from your description, and I classify myself as a weak 2a.

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 04:05 AM
Do you have any pictures taken of yourself when your hair is air dried and non-manipulated with (e.g. brushed or blow dried)? That'd help a lot. :)

You seem to have about as much wave as I do, judging from your description, and I classify myself as a weak 2a.

Oh, no I don't. But I think you are right - that was how i categorised myself. Thanks Wosie.

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 05:40 AM
I have the same issue with not knowing for sure what type I am. I do have two very bad photos in my album if anyone cares to look and help me out....but I cannot do pictures in my messages. So most of us with typing problems seem to be in the 1c-2a group. I have had short hair for many years and this waviness is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

:o

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 05:59 AM
I have the same issue with not knowing for sure what type I am. I do have two very bad photos in my album if anyone cares to look and help me out....but I cannot do pictures in my messages. So most of us with typing problems seem to be in the 1c-2a group. I have had short hair for many years and this waviness is new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

:o
Yours looks like mine is underneath, but my top layer, especially at the front, is straighter.

Wusel
June 13th, 2015, 06:30 AM
I think you have the same hairtype as mine. Looks exactly the same in the pictures. I'm 1b/1c/2a but also still not sure...

meteor
June 13th, 2015, 06:46 AM
I think I'm 1c/2a but it's complicated. It's straighter on top and my fringe, quite wavy (loose S waves) underneath and at temples. I air dry without combing and it dries with relaxed waves, but when it's dry and i comb it it goes a lot straighter. If I go out in heavy rain and let it dry naturally, it dries like waves from plaits, but they drop out after a while.

I can really relate to this description, and I (tentatively) categorize myself as a 1c/2a, as well.
I'm not sure that's correct (I'm bad at hairtyping, sorry), but the ability to go pretty wavy and very straight with combing makes me think it's somewhere in borderline straight/wavy category.
Another thing is, as hair grows longer it can change the wave pattern pretty dramatically, going straighter or wavier... so you might see some changes there along the way.
It helps to take some pictures at different lengths to track those changes.

I try to wash only once a week, and as the days go by, my hair develops a lot more wave, especially at the bottom. I'm really confused.

Hmm, then maybe you are wavier than you think. :) Have you experimented with the Curly Girl method? Maybe you have more hidden wave pattern. :)

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Yours looks like mine is underneath, but my top layer, especially at the front, is straighter.

Mine seems to be developing more wave as it grows (oh so slowly), also. And I have noticed more wave as I have been using a shampoo bar. So this morning I washed with something different so I could get an idea if the hair growth or the shampoo bar is influencing the waves.

yogagirl
June 13th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I have the same issue. Bottom layers are wavy and top/front are straight. I believe this is due to top layers being more exposed and thus slightly damaged. Anyway, the waves fall out pretty much if you look at them. And I agree, rain does bring them out the best. One idea to refresh them might be to spritz with distilled water. I haven't tried it, but I've read the tip here.

I put 1c/2a as my hair type, but I kind of feel like a cheater. Even if this type is true when freshly washed and air dried without manipulation, most of the time my hair is straighter. One of the things that work well for me is sleeping in a top knot made with spin pins. I get super pretty big curls from it the next day. Much bigger curls than my actual wave pattern, but very nice nonetheless.

ETA: I forgot I had already changed my hair type to 1c here. Adios, pretend waves :( :(

Kina
June 13th, 2015, 07:33 AM
I think a lot of us who are in between have trouble with hair typing, my canopy is 2c, while the underlayer is 3a. Unless i put my hair up, people categorize my hair as wavy. If i do a half up, they think I've curled it. there is a hair typing page for reference, let me see if I can find it...

found it! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252)

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 08:07 AM
I think you have the same hairtype as mine. Looks exactly the same in the pictures. I'm 1b/1c/2a but also still not sure...

That made me smile. That's exactly how i feel - mine is such a mixture :)

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 08:09 AM
I can really relate to this description, and I (tentatively) categorize myself as a 1c/2a, as well.
I'm not sure that's correct (I'm bad at hairtyping, sorry), but the ability to go pretty wavy and very straight with combing makes me think it's somewhere in borderline straight/wavy category.
Another thing is, as hair grows longer it can change the wave pattern pretty dramatically, going straighter or wavier... so you might see some changes there along the way.
It helps to take some pictures at different lengths to track those changes.
Hmm, then maybe you are wavier than you think. :) Have you experimented with the Curly Girl method? Maybe you have more hidden wave pattern. :)

I've had my hair quite long before, but I used a hairdryer for years, so it always dried straight. Now I'm leaving it to do its own thing, I'm amazed to see waves and curves.
The what???? the curly girl method?

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 08:12 AM
I have the same issue. Bottom layers are wavy and top/front are straight. I believe this is due to top layers being more exposed and thus slightly damaged. Anyway, the waves fall out pretty much if you look at them. And I agree, rain does bring them out the best. One idea to refresh them might be to spritz with distilled water. I haven't tried it, but I've read the tip here.

I put 1c/2a as my hair type, but I kind of feel like a cheater. Even if this type is true when freshly washed and air dried without manipulation, most of the time my hair is straighter. One of the things that work well for me is sleeping in a top knot made with spin pins. I get super pretty big curls from it the next day. Much bigger curls than my actual wave pattern, but very nice nonetheless.

ETA: I forgot I had already changed my hair type to 1c here. Adios, pretend waves :( :(

I feel like I'm cheating too. It's weird because i have all this natural wave creeping in now i let it dry naturally, yet my hair won't hold an artificial wave for longer than ten minutes.

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Yikes, really sorry folks, i should have amalgamated all those into one message.

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 08:27 AM
The Curly Girl book told me to use a gel for scrunching to help encourage waves. I have ordered Devacurl Ultra Gel. I will be away for a week so I won't get to try it for a few days. I'm also disappointed that I am having trouble finding a natural gel. I have used only homemade shampoos for a year. (Trying to help my immune system by not using bad for me chemicals). So I am always on the lookout for all natural products.

I find this hair type to be interesting and somewhat aggravating, lol.

:rolleyes:

lapushka
June 13th, 2015, 08:31 AM
The Curly Girl book told me to use a gel for scrunching to help encourage waves. I have ordered Devacurl Ultra Gel. I will be away for a week so I won't get to try it for a few days. I'm also disappointed that I am having trouble finding a natural gel. I have used only homemade shampoos for a year. (Trying to help my immune system by not using bad for me chemicals). So I am always on the lookout for all natural products.

I find this hair type to be interesting and somewhat aggravating, lol.

:rolleyes:

Try the Eco Styler gel. I have the olive oil version. They come in different tub sizes. I always get the biggest tub they have. It's an awesome gel. No alcohol, no silicones, and it doesn't flake. You don't have to use much, just a tiny coin's worth. All throughout the hair.

meteor
June 13th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I've had my hair quite long before, but I used a hairdryer for years, so it always dried straight. Now I'm leaving it to do its own thing, I'm amazed to see waves and curves.
The what???? the curly girl method?

The Curly Girl Method by Lorraine Massey is focused on things like Conditioner-Only-washing, avoiding sulfates and silicones, LOC, using gel for more defined curls/waves, diffusing or air-drying, plopping and scrunching and other curl-enhancing techniques while drying. I don't know how many of those tips can be applicable for you, but you can try them out, since you mention that your hair gets wavier and wavier after a wash, which could imply hidden wave/curl pattern. Many of us do modified Curly Girl method, because everybody's hair is different. :)

What I would recommend is checking out this Ouidad video where they show the rake & shake technique as the hair is drying to encourage waves - I find that it can be good for mildly wavy hair where traditional plopping might be too aggressive and give frizz, if not done right. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NJluS9UpVM

If it doesn't work and you want waves, you can always just go the simpler way: braid-waves by doing a few braids on slightly damp hair overnight (with a bit of conditioner/mousse/gel/etc). With texture-enhancing techniques, there is a lot of experimentation involved, because there are so many factors (relative humidity, for example) that affect wave pattern, but overall it's pretty easy to enhance or flatten out texture with borderline hairtypes like ours. :)

meteor
June 13th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I'm also disappointed that I am having trouble finding a natural gel. I have used only homemade shampoos for a year. (Trying to help my immune system by not using bad for me chemicals). So I am always on the lookout for all natural products.

For an all-natural gel, definitely try homemade Flaxseed gel, if you haven't yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM :D
Some people have good results with okra gel or aloe vera gel (well diluted), too.

flickm
June 13th, 2015, 09:16 AM
The Curly Girl Method by Lorraine Massey is focused on things like Conditioner-Only-washing, avoiding sulfates and silicones, LOC, using gel for more defined curls/waves, diffusing or air-drying, plopping and scrunching and other curl-enhancing techniques while drying. I don't know how many of those tips can be applicable for you, but you can try them out, since you mention that your hair gets wavier and wavier after a wash, which could imply hidden wave/curl pattern. Many of us do modified Curly Girl method, because everybody's
What I would recommend is checking out this Ouidad video where they show the rake & shake technique as the hair is drying to encourage waves - I find that it can be good for mildly wavy hair where traditional plopping might be too aggressive and give frizz, if not done right. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NJluS9UpVM

If it doesn't work and you want waves, you can always just go the simpler way: braid-waves by doing a few braids on slightly damp hair overnight (with a bit of conditioner/mousse/gel/etc). With texture-enhancing techniques, there is a lot of experimentation involved, because there are so many factors (relative humidity, for example) that affect wave pattern, but overall it's pretty easy to enhance or flatten out texture with borderline hairtypes like ours. :)

Thanks for this Meteor. I'm happy to let my natural curve/wave show through, but I do find it fascinating, all these different methods. I've always been a bit blasé about caring for my hair, but I want to get it really long this time, so all this info is useful.

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Try the Eco Styler gel. I have the olive oil version. They come in different tub sizes. I always get the biggest tub they have. It's an awesome gel. No alcohol, no silicones, and it doesn't flake. You don't have to use much, just a tiny coin's worth. All throughout the hair.

Thanks for the tip. I will be checking out the Eco Styler gel. Today I did not use the shampoo bar...I went back to the Dr. Bronner + coconut oil diluted with water. My scalp feels great, but the ends may be just a bit dry even tho I oiled them before shampooing. I did buy some conditioner at Trader Joe's while I was out today. So I may try conditioner and oil combined in some way. I will have to read up on that.

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 04:03 PM
For an all-natural gel, definitely try homemade Flaxseed gel, if you haven't yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWaH8GIbLrM :D
Some people have good results with okra gel or aloe vera gel (well diluted), too.

I can't believe how easy that is to make. I will have to give it a try.....I even have most of the essential oils. It does look awfully goopy, tho, lol. I will let you know how it works....but it may be a while before I get to it. Thanks for the link.

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Lapushka, that is a great price for the Eco gel. I want to try it, too.

meteor
June 13th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Thanks for this Meteor. I'm happy to let my natural curve/wave show through, but I do find it fascinating, all these different methods. I've always been a bit blasé about caring for my hair, but I want to get it really long this time, so all this info is useful.

Awesome! :thumbsup: And the LHC is definitely the right place for that! :D

I can't believe how easy that is to make. I will have to give it a try.....I even have most of the essential oils. It does look awfully goopy, tho, lol. I will let you know how it works....but it may be a while before I get to it. Thanks for the link.

Oh yes, it's also mildly volumizing, as it's a film-forming humectant. Also, it freezes well (it's better to freeze larger batches because everything with water and without preservatives tends to go bad pretty fast). EOs are nice for fragrance and shine but not necessary. And you can water it down any way you like. :) I sure hope it works well! :D

(Oh, and there are a few flaxseed gel threads on the LHC, in case they can help:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130357
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14852
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-46971.html
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-7450.html )

vpatt
June 13th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Meteor, thank you so much!

lapushka
June 14th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Lapushka, that is a great price for the Eco gel. I want to try it, too.

I can't guarantee it is going to be a hit. Anyway, you need a *very* little amount of this, spread through palms, then scrunched through the hair (the lengths).

vpatt
June 14th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I can't guarantee it is going to be a hit. Anyway, you need a *very* little amount of this, spread through palms, then scrunched through the hair (the lengths).

I did not find the Eco Gel locally so I may end up ordering from Amazon. I didn't find anything today that I considered natural. We are leaving in the morning for the beach so I will find out how my hair does there. It is pretty humid here so it may be no different than being home.

meteor
June 14th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I did not find the Eco Gel locally so I may end up ordering from Amazon. I didn't find anything today that I considered natural. We are leaving in the morning for the beach so I will find out how my hair does there. It is pretty humid here so it may be no different than being home.

Vpatt, are there any specific ingredients that you are looking for or trying to avoid for the product(s) to qualify? :) If so, let us know what they are and I'm sure there will be LHC-ers with recommendations/reviews. :)

vpatt
June 14th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Right now I am going by the curly girl recommendations. No alcohol, no silicone, no parabans and no phthalates (spelling). But to be honest....that still leaves a lot of room for stuff that does not sound healthy to me. I know how I sound...it's just that I have spent over a year trying to clear my psoriasis....and over half of it is gone. I have done this by diet and by not using many products that I once used. I make my shampoo and rinse and my toothpaste and deodorant. Now to be honest I cannot say how much the product change has helped, but the plan I am following is working so I can't argue with it. But I know that I sound like a whiney butt much of the time, lol. I am really excited about trying the flaxseed gel when I get back home. And if it works then I will probably stick with it. And I guess the worst thing would just be that I won't have waves....that is not the end of the world. But I got so excited when I realized I had them.....well anyway, I don't ask anyone else to do what I do.....but I like that my skin is clearing ....tho slowly so I am trying to stick with it......not always easy and sorry I didn't mean to give anyone an earache or worse, lol. I love all the helpful people here and don't want to aggravate anyone.

meteor
June 14th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Right now I am going by the curly girl recommendations. No alcohol, no silicone, no parabans and no phthalates (spelling). But to be honest....that still leaves a lot of room for stuff that does not sound healthy to me. I know how I sound...it's just that I have spent over a year trying to clear my psoriasis....and over half of it is gone. I have done this by diet and by not using many products that I once used. I make my shampoo and rinse and my toothpaste and deodorant. Now to be honest I cannot say how much the product change has helped, but the plan I am following is working so I can't argue with it. But I know that I sound like a whiney butt much of the time, lol. I am really excited about trying the flaxseed gel when I get back home. And if it works then I will probably stick with it. And I guess the worst thing would just be that I won't have waves....that is not the end of the world. But I got so excited when I realized I had them.....well anyway, I don't ask anyone else to do what I do.....but I like that my skin is clearing ....tho slowly so I am trying to stick with it......not always easy and sorry I didn't mean to give anyone an earache or worse, lol. I love all the helpful people here and don't want to aggravate anyone.

Oh no, you don't sound whiney at all! :love: It's what hair forum is for! It's important the exact products that will work for you and won't trigger psoriasis or any other potential skin issues.

I think that aloe vera or flaxseed gel or okra gel should be safe enough, but I'd definitely recommend patch testing on skin just to see that there is no allergy.

Among commercial products, I've seen some great reviews on the SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle, and it matches the no alcohol, no silicones, no parabens and no phthalates requirement, so it might be worth checking out:

Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract, Pectin, Vegetable Glycerin, Adansonia Digitata Pulp (Baobab) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed/Flax) Seed Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Proprietary Essential Oil Blend
*Certified Organic Ingredient

vpatt
June 14th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Oh no, you don't sound whiney at all! :love: It's what hair forum is for! It's important the exact products that will work for you and won't trigger psoriasis or any other potential skin issues.

I think that aloe vera or flaxseed gel or okra gel should be safe enough, but I'd definitely recommend patch testing on skin just to see that there is no allergy.

Among commercial products, I've seen some great reviews on the SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle, and it matches the no alcohol, no silicones, no parabens and no phthalates requirement, so it might be worth checking out:

Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract, Pectin, Vegetable Glycerin, Adansonia Digitata Pulp (Baobab) Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed/Flax) Seed Extract, Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Proprietary Essential Oil Blend
*Certified Organic Ingredient

Oh wow, that does sound interesting....lol....I sound like a kid in a candy shop. I had not considered until recently that I could have long hair again (age) and I'm so excited about finding good things to help it along. I think because I make so many personal care items now that it excites me to think of buying a 'fancy store bought product'. I sure wish I could make it grow faster. Not sure if the inversion method really helps but I am trying it.

I have added the Shea Moisture and the Eco Gel to my Amazon wish list so I don't forget the names.

meteor
June 14th, 2015, 05:48 PM
^ Oh yes, any age is great for growing out hair! :thumbsup: Inversion method does seem to work for many folks, I think especially at the beginning. I would imagine any healthy new stimulus giving increased circulation to scalp (like a new massage routine) has a good chance of giving a growth spurt at the beginning. I really hope it will work wonderfully for you! :D

vpatt
June 14th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Thank you and thank you all for your advice.

Dragon Faery
June 15th, 2015, 01:27 AM
Hair typing can be a real pain. It sounds like you've typed yourself pretty well. I get a little frustrated that we can't put more than 1 or 2 types in our profile information or indicate the full range of types on our heads.

I've classified myself as a 2c/3a, but only because I couldn't type myself as a 1c-3a. All of those types within that range exist simultaneously on my head at different levels.

I'm 3a at the front of my crown for sure, possibly bordering on 3b, and the majority of my crown is 3a spirals, but a little bit of 2c is mixed in.

Between my crown and the backs of my ears, my hair transitions into more of the 2a to 2c range, with a lot of waves but not really any spirals.

And at the nape, all my hair insists on being 1c at its very curliest, but usually it dries more in the 1b range. If I scrunch a LOT while drying, sometimes parts of it can be persuaded to look 2a, but that's very rare.

And though my top bits always insist on curling up to 3a no matter what, after a few days of being in buns, all of my hair is a lot closer to a 2a or 2b pattern, with 1a or 1b at the nape.