PDA

View Full Version : new growth or damage

flickm
June 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM
My hair is growing layered. I have several lengths. I think most of it may be new hair growing in after a period of stress, lack of sleep and heavy falling. But how do i tell the differenc? I did wear an elasticated hair band for years to keep my hair back in the bath, but don't do that now, so that might account for one layer. I have lots of very short sticky up hairs on top of my head too. But, honestly, I can see about three levels. I hardly lose any hair at all now, combing with a horn comb, and i seldom see any on my clothes - so do I assume this is new growth?

ladyjulia
June 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Well what I would do is take a look at the ends of those short hairs. Hair that is slightly tapered is the new growth and the hair that looks like it has been damaged or stretched or maybe it has those little white dots and if it has split ends it is broken off.

flickm
June 11th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Well what I would do is take a look at the ends of those short hairs. Hair that is slightly tapered is the new growth and the hair that looks like it has been damaged or stretched or maybe it has those little white dots and if it has split ends it is broken off.

Goodness, that's taxing my poor old eyes. OK, the little ones at the top, i had to pull one out (gasp!) to look, and, through glasses and a magnifying glass, I see a nice straight root and a tapered end, so fingers crossed the rest are the same - and thank you :)

gthlvrmx
June 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM
New growth usually has tapered ends. :)

spidermom
June 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
More than likely it's new growth, although you probably have some breakage, too. Continue good care.

flickm
June 11th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks guys. The top ones are tapered, the first proper layer has broken ends, so I'm guessing that ws from the elasticated bands. I'm getting obssessional about my hair since joining this forum! Will be very careful from now on :)