PDA

View Full Version : My hair is darker than it used to be?

markay23
June 10th, 2015, 02:54 PM
When I was 16 I dyed my hair blonde and then red, I've been dying my hair until I was 17 but then I decided to grow my natural hair colour again. Now I am 17 and my roots are past my ears but I think they are darker my hair naturally is, my natural hair colour is a light ash brown and I got blondish highlights in the summer from time to time. But from what I can judge now my hair is just brown. Did my natural hair colour become dark or do I have to wait for it to grow more and it will lighten with time? Thanks!

elsieivy
June 10th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Hair can darken as you get older, but I think it's more likely that your roots just look dark in comparison to the length. As you cut off the dyed bits and the natural color spends more time in the sun you may notice that it looks lighter again.

lapushka
June 10th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Yes, above poster is right. Hair can look "odd" next to dyed lengths. The bigger the outgrowth is, the better you'll be able to ascertain the real color of it. But it is also a possibility that your hair grew darker. It happens during puberty and in growing up.

pili
June 10th, 2015, 03:18 PM
It might be the contrast. My hair was chestnut brown as a child, medium brown in my 20s and now almost black (ignore the pics since I am growing out highlights.)

endlessly
June 10th, 2015, 09:01 PM
I agree, hair can darken as you age, but it might also be the case that it just looks darker next to the hair that's still color-treated. Also, if you spent more time outdoors when you were younger, exposure to the sun will lighten your hair and if you aren't spending time in the sun now, that could also be responsible for the darker appearance.

Nique1202
June 11th, 2015, 05:00 AM
It is definitely possible for hair colour to change over time. I was golden-strawberry blonde as a child, dull medium brown as a teenager, and now I have rich dark golden brown hair in my late 20s. However, since you've only been colouring your hair for a year or two, this is less likely to have happened in such a short time.

New growth that's at all darker than colour-treated hair definitely looks MUCH darker by comparison. Even medium brown roots can look almost black next to light blonde bleached hair until they're several inches long. (I speak from experience.) I'd recommend that you let it grow out a few more inches, I think you'll find your natural colour is probably just about the same once it has more space to show itself.

seamstress
June 22nd, 2015, 10:35 PM
Hey! Same! I started out a very princessy golden blonde, dyed my hair the rainbow for 4 years, now I've stopped and I'm noticing I have ash blonde roots a bit darker than they were. I actually like the way the ash blonde looks grayish or, as I called it before I learned hair words, "squirrel color." and I want all my hair to look like that now. It was one of the colors I kept on trying to get my hair to while dyeing it these past 4 years. I keep on coming back to it. : )

yahirwaO.o
June 22nd, 2015, 10:44 PM
I've always have black hair and now Its is gettin more dark brownish... I wish mine was getting darker!! :demon: