PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing my hair with splat

hannabiss
June 9th, 2015, 05:57 PM
As i write im currently drying my hair. i just clarified no conditioner.
Btw im NOT using the bleach. im just going to use the color. ive picked luscious razberries.
ill post pics if anyones interested...if not...ill probably still post pics.

................................!!!!!!!!!!!UPDATED !!!!!!!!!!........................................ ....http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17654&d=1433940418

elsieivy
June 9th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Sometimes I dye my bangs using manic panic's Enchanted Forest over my natural hair color. The color doesn't last too long for me but I like it while it lasts.

hannabiss
June 9th, 2015, 06:07 PM
for me splat stays vibrant in my hair for two months then starts to fade over the next few months. it has stay power for me. though nothing has lasted as long as specail effects. i had special effects stay in a whole year!!

pastina
June 9th, 2015, 06:14 PM
i'm going to write something now about splat, i've written it before, and i'll keep writing it, because i want to turn as many people against them as possible.

i bought a kit from them for the color, not the bleach. well, while daddy was watching the little ones and i was rinsing dye out of my hair, my at-the-time 20 month old took a tiny sip of the peroxide. tiny, tiny. then he foamed at the mouth and threw up.

all that, so far, is our fault. that's what happens when you ingest peroxide. i called poison control. they needed to know what strength the peroxide was.

check your box, it doesn't tell you. oh, there's a handy phone number, though! ...but, guess what, they aren't able to be contacted during normal business hours. it's ok! you can go to the website for more info! oh... but that website just directs you to the phone number that only is helpful from 9-4, or whatever.

here's the thing-- if a toddler ingests a tiny sip of 30 volume peroxide, he'll have a tummy ache and will be sick a while. if it's 40 volume, even with a tiny sip, he can die from resulting burns. now, i have experience with hair dye. lots of it. and i trusted my instincts that it was not 40 volume peroxide, and my son ended up being fine.

but, here's where splat really messed up in my eyes. i sent splat's customer service form an email, like, "i need to know the volume of the peroxide in your kit. please help me-- poison control needs this information because my 20 month old son took a sip of your product."

they took almost THREE DAYS to respond, and when they did, they said, "it is 30 volume."

THATS IT. that was the entire email.

how inhuman! maybe i'm wrong to feel so slighted by this company, but, let me tell you... i really don't feel wrong and it's been eight months since it happened.

hannabiss
June 9th, 2015, 06:17 PM
thats is really messed up :(

pastina
June 9th, 2015, 06:22 PM
yeah, i know. i AM interested to see how your hair turns out, though. i'm a big fan of color <3 (special fx is my fav too!!)

elsieivy
June 9th, 2015, 06:32 PM
i'm going to write something now about splat, i've written it before, and i'll keep writing it, because i want to turn as many people against them as possible.

i bought a kit from them for the color, not the bleach. well, while daddy was watching the little ones and i was rinsing dye out of my hair, my at-the-time 20 month old took a tiny sip of the peroxide. tiny, tiny. then he foamed at the mouth and threw up.

all that, so far, is our fault. that's what happens when you ingest peroxide. i called poison control. they needed to know what strength the peroxide was.

check your box, it doesn't tell you. oh, there's a handy phone number, though! ...but, guess what, they aren't able to be contacted during normal business hours. it's ok! you can go to the website for more info! oh... but that website just directs you to the phone number that only is helpful from 9-4, or whatever.

here's the thing-- if a toddler ingests a tiny sip of 30 volume peroxide, he'll have a tummy ache and will be sick a while. if it's 40 volume, even with a tiny sip, he can die from resulting burns. now, i have experience with hair dye. lots of it. and i trusted my instincts that it was not 40 volume peroxide, and my son ended up being fine.

but, here's where splat really messed up in my eyes. i sent splat's customer service form an email, like, "i need to know the volume of the peroxide in your kit. please help me-- poison control needs this information because my 20 month old son took a sip of your product."

they took almost THREE DAYS to respond, and when they did, they said, "it is 30 volume."

THATS IT. that was the entire email.

how inhuman! maybe i'm wrong to feel so slighted by this company, but, let me tell you... i really don't feel wrong and it's been eight months since it happened.

How scary! I'd be really frustrated with them too. I'm glad your son was okay

pastina
June 9th, 2015, 06:41 PM
^thank you. :flowers: he was not a happy dude for a few days, but he got through it.

hannabiss
June 10th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I added pics at top. yay for editing.

pastina
June 10th, 2015, 10:12 AM
looks lovely!!

spidermom
June 10th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Nice color. Splat uses peroxide? (news to me) The longest-lasting dye of the Manic Panic type for me was Punky by Jerome Russell. I've had Manic Panic crimson on my ends for a couple of months now, but it's faded out to sort of subtle copper color now. I can only see it if my ends are near my scalp.

pastina
June 10th, 2015, 10:58 AM
no, but it comes with a bleach kit that does.

elsieivy
June 10th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Very cool!

ooglipoo
June 10th, 2015, 11:45 AM
That looks so cute on you! :crush:

Gabriel
June 10th, 2015, 11:53 AM
What a great color on you, hannabiss!

kittenface
June 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM
That looks amazing! I think the colour really suits you and it's so fun and bright.
I've never tried Splat dye before, but it looks great - the customer service part of the company doesn't sound very impressive, though.

hannabiss
June 10th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Spidermom the bleach uses peroxide. But the color it self is very much like manic panic or special fx. just a deposit dye.
THANKS!! I do love this color. Gotta admit my General manager wasnt too happy. But eveyone else likes it. My main boss likes it so im good to go.
i was pretty suprised at how well the color took. We'll see how long it last.

woolyleprechaun
June 10th, 2015, 01:37 PM
That's a lovely result- really stunning! I've never heard of Splat before, and that story of their poor customer service has put me off finding out more. In all fairness, I'm still in love with La Riche Directions...pretty colours, decent staying power, nice consistency and good conditioning qualities. Although, your colour is thudworthy and I've never achieved anything that impressive!

hannabiss
June 10th, 2015, 01:45 PM
im suprised it came out this color without the bleach. though i did leave it on two hours.

lapushka
June 10th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Pretty in pink. ;)

Nadine <3
June 10th, 2015, 03:57 PM
Hannabiss, I love it!! It looks great!!

I have a question...How do you girls who use deposit only dyes do so without dying EVERYTHING pink? (or your preferred color) I helped my besty dye her hair with manic panic (I forget what pink shade it was, but over her dark brown hair she gets a really nice reddish/pink glow that's really nice) and lets just say that even though we where careful, we still ended up with pink dye everywhere! My entire bathtub was stained pink (it did come off with bleach for the most part, except the curtain, that still has a pink stain on it.) It also stained her forehead, her ears, and all down her back and butt crack...

I've been playing with the idea of just doing a blue manic panic on my ends, but I really don't want everything in my bathroom to be blue and I don't want a blue back/butt either. Is there some trick to this? My next question would be has anyone done blue on light brown virgin hair and how did it turn out...hehe, sorry I don't mean to thread hijack! Just curious.

woodswanderer
June 10th, 2015, 04:19 PM

I have a question...How do you girls who use deposit only dyes do so without dying EVERYTHING pink? (or your preferred color) I helped my besty dye her hair with manic panic (I forget what pink shade it was, but over her dark brown hair she gets a really nice reddish/pink glow that's really nice) and lets just say that even though we where careful, we still ended up with pink dye everywhere! My entire bathtub was stained pink (it did come off with bleach for the most part, except the curtain, that still has a pink stain on it.) It also stained her forehead, her ears, and all down her back and butt crack...

I've been playing with the idea of just doing a blue manic panic on my ends, but I really don't want everything in my bathroom to be blue and I don't want a blue back/butt either. Is there some trick to this? My next question would be has anyone done blue on light brown virgin hair and how did it turn out...hehe, sorry I don't mean to thread hijack! Just curious.

Wow, the raspberry color looks really beautiful and vibrant, Hannabiss!
I have also been wondering what fun colors look decent or look awful over light brown hair. I'm somewhat curious about dip dying my ends for the summer, but I won't bleach or otherwise lighten it first.

teddygirl
June 10th, 2015, 04:28 PM

I've done my ends (ombre style) with a pink colour. What I did was more of a foil though. I also wore a black t-shirt (free one from the club) that I didnt care about getting dirty. My process for the foils was a bit complicated, but I didnt want any bleeding in colour. I used a piece of thick cardboard, placed the foil over the cardboard, placed the hair over the foil and rubbed in the colour with a brush (one made for hair colour) and then folded up the foils. I had a teeny bit of colour on the black tshirt, but overall was pretty good. This did not stain my bathtub when rinsed though. This process took longer than slapping it on, but as I didnt want to stain the rest of my hair it was worth it.

eta - about rinsing, you could try the kitchen sink for an initial rinse. Get the bulk of the colour out, and its easier to wash out a metal sink than a white one.

hannabiss
June 10th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Ok heres the methode i do.
1) i section my hair in six and use clips.
2)i use a fine tooth comb with a "tail" on the end. i squeez my dye onto the comb (think tooth paste style) and comb threw my section. it usually takes several go throughs then i twist it and go the the next section.
also i set my comb down on a paper pate while i undo my next section.
and my tub never gets stained i have a strange methode but i swear it works.
i fill my tub deep enough to submerge my hair when im layinging down. then dunk my hair under
and yes the water changes color but its so diluted it wont stain the tub or skin
i drain that water and repeat at least once usually twice.
THEN i use the shower head to rinse it out. i decided to use this methode after the first time i used deposite dye and it did stain my shower. i feel like when you just run water over your hair it isnt diluted enough and then stains the tub. so two or three mermaid soaks and then rinse. Also doing it this way (for me) guarantees my water rinses clear after about 4 minutes under the shower. ....i hope i explained that well.

Lauraes
June 10th, 2015, 08:18 PM
The rasberry color is beautiful! :) It does look really pretty on you. I might actually have to use that color sometime... My hair's currently dyed aqua with Splat.

kittenface
June 11th, 2015, 07:40 AM
2)i use a fine tooth comb with a "tail" on the end. i squeez my dye onto the comb (think tooth paste style) and comb threw my section. it usually takes several go throughs then i twist it and go the the next section.
i fill my tub deep enough to submerge my hair when im layinging down. then dunk my hair under
and yes the water changes color but its so diluted it wont stain the tub or skin
THEN i use the shower head to rinse it out. i decided to use this methode after the first time i used deposite dye and it did stain my shower. i feel like when you just run water over your hair it isnt diluted enough and then stains the tub. so two or three mermaid soaks and then rinse. Also doing it this way (for me) guarantees my water rinses clear after about 4 minutes under the shower. ....i hope i explained that well.
Oh my gosh, that's genius! Will have to try that next time. Thank you so much for sharing!

Yarrow
June 11th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Woah, that slow reaction time of splat costumer service is scary, thank good nothing happend.
I use the bag method for dipdying
Just squirt the color in a bag, put hair bag, tye bag with a hairstyle to bag and start swooshing my hair in the color in the bag.
Let bag on for fixed time and then take of and rinse hair over the sink.

Gabriel
June 18th, 2015, 06:51 AM

hannabiss, I just wanted to say thanks for describing this method. I would never have thought of this and tried a modified version yesterday when I used a different veggie dye. It worked so great!