PDA

View Full Version : Found a new way to hold a braid!

Wusel
June 9th, 2015, 04:48 AM
I use 2 3/4-inch-claw clips.
Looks great, on my opinion. :)
On me I like it more than with a scrunchie. And it's a bit special because you don't have a real tassel and the braid has no taper towards the tassel. It's straight to the end :)
It stays in my hair the whole day, like you can see in the pic but when you have slippery hair you need stronger claw clips, I think.
And it's more gentle to my hair than a scrunchie.
I have the feeling that cotton scrunchies dry my ends out a bit. And where they sit they soak up the oil I put in my hair (especially the one I have in my signature).

Edit: Depending on the thickness of your hair you need smaller or bigger claw clips so that one of them can hold a bit more than the half of your braid. They should overlap a little bit. :)
:)

I think my braid looks great in the pic. :)
(today is one of the few days when I like my too short hair :D )

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17644&d=1433846114

momschicklets
June 9th, 2015, 05:17 AM
:crush::crush: Your braid does look amazing....thick and shiny! I've never considered using a claw clip for this purpose...might have to give it a try. It doesn't konk you in the neck or shoulder when you turn your head?? Thanks for the idea!

cutekitty
June 9th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Looks great, indeed! I sometimes use two mini claw clips to secure my braid, too.

Wusel
June 9th, 2015, 06:39 AM
:crush::crush: Your braid does look amazing....thick and shiny! I've never considered using a claw clip for this purpose...might have to give it a try. It doesn't konk you in the neck or shoulder when you turn your head?? Thanks for the idea!

Thank you :)
No, I've learned here on LHC how to braid hair so that it doesn't touch your neck or rub against it.
I braid my hair holding it horizontally to my head and so it doesn't bend towards my neck or so and stays on my back.

gthlvrmx
June 13th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Your hair is so thick! It looks beautiful! Do the claw clips fall off if you move too much?

Horrorpops
June 13th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Looks lovely! Having a larger clip seems to be emphasizing your braid thickness too, which is awesome! I might have to try this, I worry I damage my poor bleached ends because I secure my braids with an elastic so often...

Wusel
June 14th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Your hair is so thick! It looks beautiful! Do the claw clips fall off if you move too much?

Thank you :)
No, they stay like this all day long. Even at work. :)
And I'm a special education teacher so I move a lot :)
But it's very good quality claw clips. Not the cheapest ones. I think that's important too. I had some cheap ones and they weren't strong enough to stay there.

Wusel
June 14th, 2015, 05:37 AM
Looks lovely! Having a larger clip seems to be emphasizing your braid thickness too, which is awesome! I might have to try this, I worry I damage my poor bleached ends because I secure my braids with an elastic so often...

Thank you. :) Yes, that's why I tried to find other methods to secure my braid. Putting in elastics needs much more manipulation and stress on the ends than using a clip. And every time I put in an elastic, I break a hair or two. This doesn't happen with the clips.

meteor
June 14th, 2015, 01:19 PM
It looks amazing, Wusel! Great idea! :applause And I love your thick, shiny braid! :crush:

Can you share how it holds throughout the day? :) Do the mini claw-clips slide off over time? Or does the spot where they clasp get fuzzy/frizzy compared to a regular elastic? Thank you! :flower:

Shepherdess
June 14th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I think that is a great idea, Wusel! I have tried it before, though my hair seems to be too slippery, and perhaps a little thin at the ends for them to stay in. Your hair is so lovely and thick! Thanks for sharing. :)

Wusel
June 15th, 2015, 10:08 AM
It looks amazing, Wusel! Great idea! :applause And I love your thick, shiny braid! :crush:

Can you share how it holds throughout the day? :) Do the mini claw-clips slide off over time? Or does the spot where they clasp get fuzzy/frizzy compared to a regular elastic? Thank you! :flower:

Thank you! :)
It holds perfectly the whole day long. And my ends are oiled, so quite slippery too now. :)
Compared to an elastic I think the clips are much better. They don't dry out my hair where they sit and elastics, especially the cotton covered ones, do.
I think it's important that the claw clips are good quality. Mine are a bit more expensive, not the cheap one Euro ones. I had some cheap ones and they broke after a couple of weeks and when I took them out, they always ripped out one or two hairs. But the good quality ones don't do this :)
I wear them in my braid at work too and they don't slide off. And as a teacher for developmentally challenged kids I move a lot :)

meteor
June 15th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Thank you! :)
It holds perfectly the whole day long. And my ends are oiled, so quite slippery too now. :)
Compared to an elastic I think the clips are much better. They don't dry out my hair where they sit and elastics, especially the cotton covered ones, do.
I think it's important that the claw clips are good quality. Mine are a bit more expensive, not the cheap one Euro ones. I had some cheap ones and they broke after a couple of weeks and when I took them out, they always ripped out one or two hairs. But the good quality ones don't do this :)
I wear them in my braid at work too and they don't slide off. And as a teacher for developmentally challenged kids I move a lot :)

Thank you so very much for sharing the details, Wusel! :D That's great to know!
I used to hold braids with claw-clips for just a short while (before pinning them up) and they worked great (much softer than elastics, no crimping or pulling on removal), so it's awesome to know that they hold very well during the day! :thumbsup:

Oh and I completely agree on quality :agree: : good quality is pretty critical for claw-clips - most broke on me right away, but others have survived pretty rough treatment for many years.

mdvl
June 15th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Your braid looks amazing! Too bad my hair is kind of slippery for a claw clip.

Horrorpops
June 15th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Thank you. :) Yes, that's why I tried to find other methods to secure my braid. Putting in elastics needs much more manipulation and stress on the ends than using a clip. And every time I put in an elastic, I break a hair or two. This doesn't happen with the clips.

Thats excellent! My last claw clip recently broke in a move so I might have to invest in another :)