PDA

View Full Version : How to handle the heat?

Obsidian
June 8th, 2015, 03:13 PM
My hair is shoulder length and quite thick. With the high temps, comes a lot of scalp issues. any sweating or even washing my hair when its hot, makes my SD flair up. I then itch it until it bleeds then its sore and icky so I have to wash it often which mean more wetness against my scalp to further irritate my SD.

How do those of you with thick hair deal with the heat? Even if SD wasn't a issue I hate having constanly damp hair in the summer, it feels gross and I overheat way too easy. I usually chop my hair in the summer and was hoping I could deal with the heat this year but we are having temps way higher then normal. I'm probably going to go with a long pixie or something similar. I really wish I could have long hair but I'm beginning to give up on the idea.

Nique1202
June 8th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Do you have a blow dryer with variable temperature? (I got one at Walmart for $25, just make sure it has two different switches on the handle.) It might not work when you're out at work/school/whatever obviously but you could put it on the lowest temperature setting (if it's comfortable to the skin, it's safe for the hair) or tape down the Cool button on any old dryer and dry your scalp every so often when you're at home, especially after washing the hair. I'm sure the other SD sufferers will be around to offer other suggestions, too, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind if the damp triggers a flare-up.

lapushka
June 8th, 2015, 03:40 PM
How do those of you with thick hair deal with the heat? Even if SD wasn't a issue I hate having constanly damp hair in the summer, it feels gross and I overheat way too easy. I usually chop my hair in the summer and was hoping I could deal with the heat this year but we are having temps way higher then normal. I'm probably going to go with a long pixie or something similar. I really wish I could have long hair but I'm beginning to give up on the idea.

I weekly wash with a harsh sulfate shampoo and do WCC (my washing/styling methods are in my signature). I double condition to combat the harshness. Then I keep my hair in a towel for 15-20 min., then airdry for about an hour, and diffuse for 4 min. or thereabouts. It makes my hair dry at the roots, but it can still be damp at the ends (they don't matter, as long as the roots are dry). This is what works for me, and I have very thick hair.

Obsidian
June 8th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Wow lapushka, your hair dries fast. I can air dry for 2-3 hours, then blow dry on high heat for 5+ minutes and my hair is still wet at the roots. Maybe I just suck at blow drying but its never done any good for me.
I've been using the box fan to try and keep things dry/cool for the last few days. It helps a little but my poor scalp is so sore right now it feels sun burned. I gave in and went and got a hair cut, its not quite a pixie and is in serious need of a professional shaping (mom cut it) but it feels so much better and my skin can breath.
As much as I love long hair, I love not being in pain even more. I'll have to live vicariously through you all.

lapushka
June 9th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Obsidian, that is odd that it won't dry you know... normally. It should dry by that time, I think. Do you use the blow dryer on cool or warm, because if you use cool that might be the reason. I use warm (but not so hot that it burns my skin), and that's perfectly fine to do.

spidermom
June 9th, 2015, 06:51 AM
SD here, too. The answer - medicated shampoo.

I feel I'd be more uncomfortable in the heat if I got a haircut because then I wouldn't be able to get my hair completely off my neck. As it is, I can do a number of up-styles that keep me comfortable. I also know how to blow-dry on warm to my scalp if I want to dry it fast. Sectioning helps, although I don't always bother.

Enjoy your haircut!

lapushka
June 9th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Yes, Nizoral 2% is the only thing that works for me when I have flare-ups! And I've tried pretty much everything!

Anje
June 9th, 2015, 10:38 AM
My main method of dealing with heat is retreating to air conditioning! XD

This Wisconsin girl just does NOT like hot weather.

Nadine <3
June 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Medicated shampoo! I've been needing it a lot more now that it's warm and humid. Knowing lots of easy updos that look nice helps too, so I can whip it up fast and get it off my neck and back! I think I'm far more comfortable this year now that I can get it all up than I ever was when I would cut to my shoulders for summer.

Hairkay
June 9th, 2015, 03:22 PM
I grew up in tropics not far from the equator. I usually water wash daily and hair air dries within the hour. If the day is extremely hot and or I've been very physically active I'll have 2/3 showers that day rinsing hair each time.

Obsidian
June 9th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I do use medicated shampoo when I have a flair, it helps a great deal. This cut was about more then the SD, I mean that is bad enough but I just get so hot I can't stand it. My blow drier only has one setting and thats warm. I can completely dry it but it takes a good 15 minutes if not longer and I hate doing it, makes my hair super frizzy.

I ended up going to a salon and having even more cut, its pretty much a pixie now even if it doesn't look right. My multi textured hair doesn't lay flat but I can do some fun messy styles with it short. I'll grow it out again like I always do, maybe next summer will be kinder or maybe we will get a decent AC unit by then.

Panth
June 10th, 2015, 02:30 AM
I think you need a combination of proper medicated shampoo to deal with flare-ups (2% Ketoconazole) and if the current flare-up is particularly severe you might ask your doctor if they could also prescribe you a cortisol-based cream for short-term topical use to help cut down the inflammation on the existing SD patches (my GP has offered this before). After that, check out the SD thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045) for ideas on preventing flare-ups (there are lots of options).

For dealing with the heat, I think you need to crack out the blow drier. The general opinion here is that cool or even warm blow drying is fine provided that the air temperature is something that's comfortable to blow onto your skin at the same distance and provided you are careful not to fluff your hair around too much or comb/brush it roughly whilst blow drying. You may find sectioning your hair helps speed up the blow drying time.

You may also find high buns or other off-the-nape styles (e.g. crown braid, maiden braids, heidi braids, etc.) help you to feel cooler in hot weather. One trick is to hide an ice cube in your bun, although with your SD issues that might not be the best option for you.

EDIT: Sorry, missed your last post. Sorry you felt you had to cut. I hope this thread has at least given you some options to consider for if/when you try to grow out again. Another option would be to have long hair with either layers or a deeply V-shaped hem. That would reduce hair mass and might improve drying times (and can look really nice with wavy/wurly hair).

lapushka
June 10th, 2015, 01:59 PM
EDIT: Sorry, missed your last post. Sorry you felt you had to cut. I hope this thread has at least given you some options to consider for if/when you try to grow out again. Another option would be to have long hair with either layers or a deeply V-shaped hem. That would reduce hair mass and might improve drying times (and can look really nice with wavy/wurly hair).

I have a deeply layered V-shaped cut (compact cut - short layers), and it's wonderful. Doesn't add weight to the scalp too much and is nice and airy (which helps). It doesn't only help with weight, it's just a good idea all around. I'm saying this as someone who has SD, and sometimes badly.

Oh, and I second all that Panth has said in this last post. The *only* thing that helps me is Nizoral 2%. In the US, I hear, that's prescription only. In Belgium it's OTC and the only version we can get.

I am also very sorry you felt you had to cut your hair.

Anje
June 10th, 2015, 03:09 PM
You may also find high buns or other off-the-nape styles (e.g. crown braid, maiden braids, heidi braids, etc.) help you to feel cooler in hot weather. One trick is to hide an ice cube in your bun, although with your SD issues that might not be the best option for you.
It doesn't help the OP, but along these lines, I've always found that a style with a part in it (like two french braids) is far cooler than one without. I have had several friends over the years who have me do a couple fat cornrows (seriously, it's like 4-7 braids total) in their hair in the summer and wear them for a week because they find it so much more comfortable in hot weather.

Betazed
June 10th, 2015, 06:20 PM
It doesn't help the OP, but along these lines, I've always found that a style with a part in it (like two french braids) is far cooler than one without. I have had several friends over the years who have me do a couple fat cornrows (seriously, it's like 4-7 braids total) in their hair in the summer and wear them for a week because they find it so much more comfortable in hot weather.

I usually wear 2 french braids when it's super hot or if I'm going to be outside for any length of time. It's much cooler than any other style I've tried. My gramma used to braid my hair this way the night before any outside summer event. She braids so tight, it'll stay tidy for at least 3 days before all my whispies escape. I'm all for the braids in the heat!

Note to OP: I'm sorry you felt like you had to cut your hair. I hope you enjoy your new style! With the kind of heat we've been having, I've been tempted more than once to have a big chop. If it wasn't for my gramma's marvellous braiding skills, I wouldn't be able to survive the heat with longer hair.