PDA

View Full Version : hair regrets

longhairmomof7
June 8th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Hi!

I just saw a hair picture I posted on my fb timeline from 2 years ago. Then I was clearly at bsl... Last May I had 8 inches cut off and the worst highlight of my life... In the past year I've had my hair cut over and over to get it looking normal... and it's barely back to bsl... Had I left well enough alone, I would totally be at waist by now. I am very irritated with myself. Is there anything I can do to accelerate hair growth? Any tips would be appreciated. I would post pics for I can't yet. :/

Madora
June 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM
There are no guarantees when it comes to hair growth. It depends on your genes, your diet, your activity level, and how kind/gentle you are on your hair.

Just review your hair regimen and see if there's anything on it that is detrimental to good hair care. (No hot irons/straightening/harsh products/bleaching/backcombing/teasing, etc.). Do you detangle gently with a wide tooth comb?

As far as helping with growth, you might want to consider daily scalp massage (with your fingerpads) in the bent at the waist position. Be sure you detangle your hair before and after each detangling session.

If your hair is long enough, you might want to do Search and Destroy on any split ends/white dots you find. Getting rid of damage goes a long way in helping hair keep from becoming more damaged.

Consider a silk pillow case if you don't use one already.

I don't know what your hair texture is but if you are not a curly, you might want to look into daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no plastic!). Good luck!

longhairmomof7
June 8th, 2015, 12:23 PM
There are no guarantees when it comes to hair growth. It depends on your genes, your diet, your activity level, and how kind/gentle you are on your hair.

Just review your hair regimen and see if there's anything on it that is detrimental to good hair care. (No hot irons/straightening/harsh products/bleaching/backcombing/teasing, etc.). Do you detangle gently with a wide tooth comb?

As far as helping with growth, you might want to consider daily scalp massage (with your fingerpads) in the bent at the waist position. Be sure you detangle your hair before and after each detangling session.

If your hair is long enough, you might want to do Search and Destroy on any split ends/white dots you find. Getting rid of damage goes a long way in helping hair keep from becoming more damaged.

Consider a silk pillow case if you don't use one already.

I don't know what your hair texture is but if you are not a curly, you might want to look into daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush (no plastic!). Good luck!

Thank you!!
I need to buy a wide tooth comb. I use a natural brush. It's supposed to have a massaging action for your scalp LOL I will also get a silk pillowcase. My hair is straight. I can't wait till I can post pictures. Do you know when I will be able to? :-) Thank you for responding :-)

lapushka
June 8th, 2015, 12:27 PM
You can *always* post pictures, if you host them at Photobucket or imgur or some other photohosting site like those, and just then link the appropriate URL into a message.

amino
June 8th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I feel your pain! Daily scalp massage is very useful.

flickm
June 8th, 2015, 03:06 PM
I second the wide toothed comb. Since I began using a horn comb, I get barely any shed hairs after combing, in contrast to the brushful of hair that came out when I used a boar bristle brush (or any other brush for that matter). I too regret chopping several inches off my hair (see my recent thread to that effect)

longhairmomof7
June 8th, 2015, 03:54 PM
You can *always* post pictures, if you host them at Photobucket or imgur or some other photohosting site like those, and just then link the appropriate URL into a message.
I'll try that!! Thank you!!

longhairmomof7
June 8th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I feel your pain! Daily scalp massage is very useful.
I need to get back to my scalp massages.. We have 6 (7) kids so I stopped doing them as frequently. But need to get back to them asap! :)

longhairmomof7
June 8th, 2015, 03:58 PM
I second the wide toothed comb. Since I began using a horn comb, I get barely any shed hairs after combing, in contrast to the brushful of hair that came out when I used a boar bristle brush (or any other brush for that matter). I too regret chopping several inches off my hair (see my recent thread to that effect)

Awesome!! your hair is beautiful!! Love the color too! Where did you purchase the horn comb? thanks!!

Justineilie
June 8th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I've heard really good things about vitamins and eating eggs daily.

yahirwaO.o
June 8th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Yes wooden or any nice material wide tooth combs are the best for hair!!!!

flickm
June 9th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Awesome!! your hair is beautiful!! Love the color too! Where did you purchase the horn comb? thanks!!

Gosh, thank you :) i got two horn combs from eBay UK. One is from the far east, Hong Kong I think, and the other is from a German eBay shop selling shaving and grooming gear. The first is wider toothed than the second, so I use one for initial de tangling. The wide toothed one was very cheap and has a dragon carved on the handle :) The advantage of them is that they pretty much eliminate static too, as well as stimulating the scalp gently. Also animals are not killed to obtain them, they are a bi-product, which makes me feel better about using them. I think they are quite freely available wherever you live, via eBay and possibly Amazon, as well as shops selling stuff for men. I think the smaller one I have may be a beard and moustache comb, but it works fine on my long hair. Lol, you asked me a question and I've written a thesis.

longhairmomof7
June 9th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Awesome! Thank you!! Looking on amazon today :-)